What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Selling a large item to a stranger (1 Viewer)

The Flying Turtle

Footballguy
My wife advertised a table and chairs for sale and now a stranger wants to come over to pick it up.  Is there a safe way to complete this transaction?  When I sell something small I try to meet up in a public place, but that isn't possible with a table and chairs.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Just be present as well and make sure he has a truck.  

I'd suggest trying to have the table/chairs on a porch or a garage (maybe driveway?).  I'd avoid having him/her in your house if possible.

Could you move it to the garage? Or maybe carport since you're in SC.  :P

Where in Michigan you from? I grew up in mid-Michigan but most of my kin live in Ottawa County.

Just be present as well and make sure he has a truck.  

I'd suggest trying to have the table/chairs on a porch or a garage (maybe driveway?).  I'd avoid having him/her in your house if possible.
Yep. I’ve sold patio furniture and couches/beds and I’ve moved them to the driveway so no one goes into the house and I’m always there. I’m not an MMA fighter, but I’m a big guy. That said, I wouldn’t be scared. I’ve sold 3 cars and other things without any issues. I think people are way too afraid of strangers nowadays. Probably more dangerous to drive while texting which no soccer mom seems to worry about but think of the children if I sell a couch. 

I just sold a table/chairs this way. It can be concerning having some random stranger from the internet show up at the house. I moved it to the garage, closed and locked the door from the garage into the house and met them in the garage. Wife and older son stayed in the house and could make a quick call if things went South. 

It ended up being a nice family with a couple of teenage kids. Nice people. No problems.

I bring everything to the garage (treadmill, couches etc. ) Also, I have dogs that would  even more complicate a trip inside the house. 

Thanks all.  I definitely will move it all to the garage or better yet the driveway if it isn't raining.

I have sold this way many times without an issue, but I thought I would ask to make sure I wasn't missing something.  In addition to locking the house I will also turn on the security cameras and send my wife a picture of the truck and license plate before he even gets out of the vehicle.

Thanks all.  I definitely will move it all to the garage or better yet the driveway if it isn't raining.

I have sold this way many times without an issue, but I thought I would ask to make sure I wasn't missing something.  In addition to locking the house I will also turn on the security cameras and send my wife a picture of the truck and license plate before he even gets out of the vehicle.
Aren't they always on?  :unsure:

The police department near us has basically a craigslist lot. It’s like 4 parking spots in the corner of their lot for people to pull in and conduct their drug online transactions. 

I use facebook classifieds for my city.  Seems to work fine and seems a lot safer and more legit than craigslist or whatever other random sites are out there.  Communication is easier, and you can get a much better idea if the person is who they say they are.

Selling bedroom furniture today. 

I have had a lot of luck using this for both buying and selling.  

Or ask them if they are nervous with guns around because your "brother" or whoever is over there and cleaning all his guns.

Exactly.  Cracked me up.  The guy just wants to buy some low-budge table and chairs to eat at.  Next thing he knows, he's sitting down in some driveway with like 20 cameras, about to be interviewed by Chris Mathews.  It's hilarious.
I’m sure  :unsure:  it’s internet schtick. If not, a guy could always call the police on an unrelated matter so they’re in the neighborhood when you need to make the “real” phone call. 

We were trying to get rid of a nice coffee table and a large standing bar/wine rack about a year ago when our daughter was starting to get more mobile. Wife posted them in a local Facebook group and got people interested. My diligence involved talking a look at their profiles to be sure they were real people. Didn't even give a second thought to letting anyone into the apartment. Both transactions went smoothly.

rail said:
I just sold a table/chairs this way. It can be concerning having some random stranger from the internet show up at the house. I moved it to the garage, closed and locked the door from the garage into the house and met them in the garage. Wife and older son stayed in the house and could make a quick call if things went South. 

It ended up being a nice family with a couple of teenage kids. Nice people. No problems.
I'm glad this story ended well. I was afraid some big biker gang was going to steal your table and chairs for their weekly bridge tournament.

rail said:

Plot twist: “And now I have them all tied up in my basement.”

Even if you move it to the garage or driveway, they'll still know where you live. I recommend that you offer to meet them in a public location where you'll blindfold them and drive their truck over to your house. Then after they load up the furniture you'll blindfold them and drive them back. 

If you’re worried about someone coming over, the proper tactic is to make sure that of the two of you, you are the scary, creepy one. 
I've perfected this look.

When I hang out in my garage I usually have a a fire going in the fire pit on the driveway, and I almost always wear a flannel shirt when it's cool. So when people drive by, they see a scruffy cooter with a smoldering fire always.

I kind of figure they think I am the loony redneck with guns in my house.  My neighborhood is typical suburbia, so it works.

I've perfected this look.

When I hang out in my garage I usually have a a fire going in the fire pit on the driveway, and I almost always wear a flannel shirt when it's cool. So when people drive by, they see a scruffy cooter with a smoldering fire always.

I kind of figure they think I am the loony redneck with guns in my house.  My neighborhood is typical suburbia, so it works.
:mellow:

I am happy to report he was not a PERP at all. Just a nice man looking for a good deal on a table to give to his wife for their anniversary.  No need to use chloroform or drop the towel.

Those of you that still have faith in their fellow man were right.

I am happy to report he was not a PERP at all. Just a nice man looking for a good deal on a table to give to his wife for their anniversary.  No need to use chloroform or drop the towel.

Those of you that still have faith in their fellow man were right.
Did you invite him to take part in a Pee Club or nah?

Users who are viewing this thread