Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
jdoggydogg

The Joker (w/ Joaquin Phoenix)

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Sconch said:

Good point.  But do the blockbusters have to be comic book movies?  

 

I would guess that as long as comic book movies keep pulling in hundreds of millions of dollars, there's no immediate plan to change that strategy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Sconch said:

Good point.  But do the blockbusters have to be comic book movies?  

 

Movies habits change as the price of seeing a movie keep going up. If I'm shelling out $50 and up not including concessions to take the family to a movie, then we're only going to a big budget spectacle that makes sense to see on the big screen, which falls right in the superhero movie wheelhouse. If there is a good character-driven drama or comedy I want to see, I'm waiting for it to become available on dvd/streaming. Doesn't make much sense to me to see those in a theater when I can feel the same impact in my home. But the theater is worth it for good special effects/cgi and action sequences, IMHO.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Socrates11 said:

Movies habits change as the price of seeing a movie keep going up. If I'm shelling out $50 and up not including concessions to take the family to a movie, then we're only going to a big budget spectacle that makes sense to see on the big screen, which falls right in the superhero movie wheelhouse. If there is a good character-driven drama or comedy I want to see, I'm waiting for it to become available on dvd/streaming. Doesn't make much sense to me to see those in a theater when I can feel the same impact in my home. But the theater is worth it for good special effects/cgi and action sequences, IMHO.

I guess...if you like that sort of stuff.

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Insein said:

You just called GnFnR hair metal?

Ok, ok. Hair Rock better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeez, can't even walk into a specific comic book movie thread in the FFA without being judged for watching...*gasp*...comic book movies.  What in the actual hell?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ridicule said:

Jeez, can't even walk into a specific comic book movie thread in the FFA without being judged for watching...*gasp*...comic book movies.  What in the actual hell?  

You're being ridiculed.

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sconch said:

Good point.  But do the blockbusters have to be comic book movies?  

 

Do comic book movies have to be block busters?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, jdoggydogg said:

Trailer

...has some problems, but I'll wait for the full trailer to decide.

Is that even real?  I seriously do not think that this is the official trailer.  

Edited by Leeroy Jenkins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Is that even real?  I seriously do not think that this is the official trailer.  

It's not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

How To Try Too Hard:

Step 1 - Hire Joachin Phoenix

I like him. :shrug: 

(Joaquin)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Apple Jack said:

"Ledger was okay." :lmao:

Ledger hasn't even worked since he was the Joker. 

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

2 pages for a fake trailer!

Whoops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sconch said:

Good point.  But do the blockbusters have to be comic book movies?  

 

Basically yes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shadyridr said:

 

Really?

I love the idea of a Joker origin story. Beyond that it's anyone's guess if it's going to be well done but the original concept is compelling IMO.

Not sure there is another "bad guy" I would say that about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

I hate giving him an origin story.

You have no idea if they are going to do that, if they are throwing you off or if they’ll give you 5 of them with him narrating them and not knowing what is what. Come on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the exception of The Dark Knight I haven't watched a super hero movie in the last 20 years. I'll definitely see this one though. Phoenix is probably the best guy working today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought it looked cool. I don’t care for comic books and comic book movies, but I do think a villain grounded more in reality is a fun watch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Capella said:

This looks like one of those movies that if it was just a standalone movie it would be a good thriller but since its "The Joker" and in the DC universe it won't be good.  Looks like too much Norman Bates meets IT in a noir kinda setting....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, B Maverick said:

This looks like one of those movies that if it was just a standalone movie it would be a good thriller but since its "The Joker" and in the DC universe it won't be good.  Looks like too much Norman Bates meets IT in a noir kinda setting....

I’m not here to defend dc but Wonder Woman was great, aquaman was fine and people seem to think Shazam will be good. Seems like they’ve turned it around once Zach Snyder got shown the door. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joaquin channeled his inner Christian Bale from The Machinist. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Capella said:

I’m not here to defend dc but Wonder Woman was great, aquaman was fine and people seem to think Shazam will be good. Seems like they’ve turned it around once Zach Snyder got shown the door. 

Yes Snyder was a big problem for DC and hopefully they improve with him gone.  Batman, Joker, etc are all such icons they deserve better.  Reports on Shazam are that its the best DC movie yet.

I still feel like, from the trailer, that if this was just some random movie about a guy going crazy, it would be better.  But trying to make it "The Joker" it will feel like it doesn't fit or create too many expectations.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually you're all wrong. This is the Steve Miller Docudrama. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, bigmarc27 said:

Also Zazie Beets is a future star. 

I prefer Pickled Beets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Joker has been perfected... Ledger took the character to an impossible apex. I’m not sure anyone can or even should try to step into those shoes again. Leto sure as hell shouldn’t have. 

All that said, if I was to see ANYONE out there give it a try, it would be Phoenix. File me under “very curious” about this film.... 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2019 at 9:01 AM, Sconch said:

I know what you're saying but WTF?

2002-2007:  3 with Toby Maguire

2012-2014: 2  with Andrew Garfunkel 

2016-2019:  4 with some Dutch kid

Throw in that Spiderverse thing for kicks.  

10 GD Spiderman movies in 17 years.  Really?

 

What's the pitch for this like?

Producer:  I've got it.  We remake Spiderman!

Exec: Uh, didn't we just do that?  

Producer:  Yeah, but get this:  Peter Parker is a goofy high school kid that gets bit by a radioactive spider and he gets all these cool powers!
 

Exec:  Yeeeahhhh, OK.  So what's going to be different from the previous ones?

Producer:  It's going to be a different actor.  Duh.

 

"Spiderman bugs me..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2019 at 10:57 AM, Sconch said:

Good point.  But do the blockbusters have to be comic book movies?  

 

Maybe they translate to the big screen better and with more familiarity than your preferred stories filled with no-picture book learnin'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It's certainly not what I expected....but consider me VERY interested.

 

One blurb (twitter) I saw said the trailer was less a comic book movie and more an early Scorcese movie.  That seems a perfect description. 

Edited by Thunderlips

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought he was pursuing his rap career

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, shadyridr said:

I hate giving him an origin story.

He already has one. This looks a lot better than falling into a vat of acid and then going crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, B Maverick said:

This looks like one of those movies that if it was just a standalone movie it would be a good thriller but since its "The Joker" and in the DC universe it won't be good.  Looks like too much Norman Bates meets IT in a noir kinda setting....

That...sounds...awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 2/27/2019 at 2:00 AM, DA RAIDERS said:

the joker is a great character.  it's really too bad, that batman sucks ###.  worst "superhero" ever.

Batman has all the best villains. 

On 2/27/2019 at 10:28 AM, Andy Dufresne said:

How To Try Too Hard:

Step 1 - Hire Joachin Phoenix

Yep his best work is when he is reigned in a but like in Her. 

 

On 2/27/2019 at 1:55 PM, TheIronSheik said:

That's not true.  No blockbuster film is keeping any other film from being made.  Movie studios need tent pole films to fund the smaller films.  Without big films, little films don't get made.

The problem is with the audience not the studio. To get a blockbuster, it must be an animated movie, a live action remake of an animated film or a movie connected to an existing action-adventure movie/comic world (Marvel, Star Wars Fast&Furious, Jurassic World, etc.)

Just looking at the top 10 highest grossing films of the aughteens, here are the only stand alone non-animated movies:

The Martian, Interstellar, Gravity (people like space), Inception and Bohemian Rhapsody. 

The aughts had:

The Hangover, Avatar, 2012, Hancock, Mama Mia, I am Legend, 300, Angels and Demons, The Da Vinci Code, Night at the Museum, Troy, The Day After Tomorrow, The Passion of Christ, Bruce Almighty, The Last Samurai, Signs, Minority Report, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Lord of the Rings, Oceans 11, Pearl Harbor, Cast Away, Gladiator, What Women Want, Met the Parents, Meet the ####ers, Hannibal,The Perfect Storm and What Lies Beneath.

Edited by Ilov80s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Chaka said:

Really?

I love the idea of a Joker origin story. Beyond that it's anyone's guess if it's going to be well done but the original concept is compelling IMO.

Not sure there is another "bad guy" I would say that about.

My only concern is that they don't turn this into some kind of a puff piece where their going for sympathy angles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, [icon] said:

The Joker has been perfected... Ledger took the character to an impossible apex. I’m not sure anyone can or even should try to step into those shoes again. Leto sure as hell shouldn’t have. 

All that said, if I was to see ANYONE out there give it a try, it would be Phoenix. File me under “very curious” about this film.... 

I agree to a certain extent.  Ledger as the Joker is amazing.  That movie is one of my all time favs.  

But I also remember when they announced him as the Joker thinking "The Joker has been perfected... no one will ever top Nicholson's performance."

So while I'm 97.2% sure this won't top Ledger, I'm always willing to watch to see if the other 3.6% comes to fruition.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think they should retire the joker character because an excellent actor died. That’s silly. Not everything needs to be a competition. Phoenix can put on a great performance even if it doesn’t equal Ledger. 

This whole thing about you can’t do something because somebody else did it great is ridiculous.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mr fancypants said:

My only concern is that they don't turn this into some kind of a puff piece where their going for sympathy angles.

Everybody starts innocent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheIronSheik said:

So while I'm 97.2% sure this won't top Ledger, I'm always willing to watch to see if the other 3.6% comes to fruition.

Not as bad as MOP math, but still made me chuckle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only one who doesn't get why Nicholson's Joker is so highly thought of?  He had some good lines but I don't see why people think it was so great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, B Maverick said:

Am I the only one who doesn't get why Nicholson's Joker is so highly thought of?  He had some good lines but I don't see why people think it was so great.

I think it was because before him, the guy who played the Joker was a slapstick kind of guy on the TV show.  Jack brought his attitude to it and, at the time, it was a completely different take on what the Joker could be.  Looking back now, it seems kind of stupid.  But at the time, it was magnificent.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheIronSheik said:

I think it was because before him, the guy who played the Joker was a slapstick kind of guy on the TV show.  Jack brought his attitude to it and, at the time, it was a completely different take on what the Joker could be.  Looking back now, it seems kind of stupid.  But at the time, it was magnificent.

This makes sense.  I was 15 when I saw Batman and enjoyed it.  Jack was good, some great lines.  Didn't have the same affect as when I saw Ledger.  Jack was a little more campy, Ledger was more serious I guess.

The Joker: Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
Bruce Wayne: What?
The Joker: I always ask that of all my prey. I just... like the sound of it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

I think it was because before him, the guy who played the Joker was a slapstick kind of guy on the TV show.  Jack brought his attitude to it and, at the time, it was a completely different take on what the Joker could be.  Looking back now, it seems kind of stupid.  But at the time, it was magnificent.

Exactly.  From 1966 to 1989 The Joker was defined by Cesar Romero, who I personally feel played the character as delightfully insane. Nicholson's take was really obligated to use that as a starting point. Had he went "full Jack" I don't think audiences would have appreciated it. We certainly weren't ready for a Ledger type of Joker and had Burton delivered that I guarantee it would have been critically panned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, B Maverick said:

This makes sense.  I was 15 when I saw Batman and enjoyed it.  Jack was good, some great lines.  Didn't have the same affect as when I saw Ledger.  Jack was a little more campy, Ledger was more serious I guess.

The Joker: Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
Bruce Wayne: What?
The Joker: I always ask that of all my prey. I just... like the sound of it.

 

This town needs an enema!

  • Laughing 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today would have been Heath Ledger's 40th bday

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.