What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Joker (w/ Joaquin Phoenix) (3 Viewers)

Good point.  But do the blockbusters have to be comic book movies?  
Movies habits change as the price of seeing a movie keep going up. If I'm shelling out $50 and up not including concessions to take the family to a movie, then we're only going to a big budget spectacle that makes sense to see on the big screen, which falls right in the superhero movie wheelhouse. If there is a good character-driven drama or comedy I want to see, I'm waiting for it to become available on dvd/streaming. Doesn't make much sense to me to see those in a theater when I can feel the same impact in my home. But the theater is worth it for good special effects/cgi and action sequences, IMHO.

Movies habits change as the price of seeing a movie keep going up. If I'm shelling out $50 and up not including concessions to take the family to a movie, then we're only going to a big budget spectacle that makes sense to see on the big screen, which falls right in the superhero movie wheelhouse. If there is a good character-driven drama or comedy I want to see, I'm waiting for it to become available on dvd/streaming. Doesn't make much sense to me to see those in a theater when I can feel the same impact in my home. But the theater is worth it for good special effects/cgi and action sequences, IMHO.
I guess...if you like that sort of stuff.

Jeez, can't even walk into a specific comic book movie thread in the FFA without being judged for watching...*gasp*...comic book movies.  What in the actual hell?  

Really?

I love the idea of a Joker origin story. Beyond that it's anyone's guess if it's going to be well done but the original concept is compelling IMO.

Not sure there is another "bad guy" I would say that about.

With the exception of The Dark Knight I haven't watched a super hero movie in the last 20 years. I'll definitely see this one though. Phoenix is probably the best guy working today.

Thought it looked cool. I don’t care for comic books and comic book movies, but I do think a villain grounded more in reality is a fun watch. 

This looks like one of those movies that if it was just a standalone movie it would be a good thriller but since its "The Joker" and in the DC universe it won't be good.  Looks like too much Norman Bates meets IT in a noir kinda setting....
I’m not here to defend dc but Wonder Woman was great, aquaman was fine and people seem to think Shazam will be good. Seems like they’ve turned it around once Zach Snyder got shown the door. 

I’m not here to defend dc but Wonder Woman was great, aquaman was fine and people seem to think Shazam will be good. Seems like they’ve turned it around once Zach Snyder got shown the door. 
Yes Snyder was a big problem for DC and hopefully they improve with him gone.  Batman, Joker, etc are all such icons they deserve better.  Reports on Shazam are that its the best DC movie yet.

I still feel like, from the trailer, that if this was just some random movie about a guy going crazy, it would be better.  But trying to make it "The Joker" it will feel like it doesn't fit or create too many expectations.   

The Joker has been perfected... Ledger took the character to an impossible apex. I’m not sure anyone can or even should try to step into those shoes again. Leto sure as hell shouldn’t have. 

All that said, if I was to see ANYONE out there give it a try, it would be Phoenix. File me under “very curious” about this film.... 

I know what you're saying but WTF?

2002-2007:  3 with Toby Maguire

2012-2014: 2  with Andrew Garfunkel 

2016-2019:  4 with some Dutch kid

Throw in that Spiderverse thing for kicks.  

10 GD Spiderman movies in 17 years.  Really?

What's the pitch for this like?

Producer:  I've got it.  We remake Spiderman!

Exec: Uh, didn't we just do that?  

Producer:  Yeah, but get this:  Peter Parker is a goofy high school kid that gets bit by a radioactive spider and he gets all these cool powers!

Exec:  Yeeeahhhh, OK.  So what's going to be different from the previous ones?

Producer:  It's going to be a different actor.  Duh.
"Spiderman bugs me..."

It's certainly not what I expected....but consider me VERY interested.

One blurb (twitter) I saw said the trailer was less a comic book movie and more an early Scorcese movie.  That seems a perfect description. 

Last edited by a moderator:
B Maverick said:
This looks like one of those movies that if it was just a standalone movie it would be a good thriller but since its "The Joker" and in the DC universe it won't be good.  Looks like too much Norman Bates meets IT in a noir kinda setting....
That...sounds...awesome.

the joker is a great character.  it's really too bad, that batman sucks ###.  worst "superhero" ever.
Batman has all the best villains. 

How To Try Too Hard:

Step 1 - Hire Joachin Phoenix
Yep his best work is when he is reigned in a but like in Her. 

That's not true.  No blockbuster film is keeping any other film from being made.  Movie studios need tent pole films to fund the smaller films.  Without big films, little films don't get made.
The problem is with the audience not the studio. To get a blockbuster, it must be an animated movie, a live action remake of an animated film or a movie connected to an existing action-adventure movie/comic world (Marvel, Star Wars Fast&Furious, Jurassic World, etc.)

Just looking at the top 10 highest grossing films of the aughteens, here are the only stand alone non-animated movies:

The Martian, Interstellar, Gravity (people like space), Inception and Bohemian Rhapsody. 

The aughts had:

The Hangover, Avatar, 2012, Hancock, Mama Mia, I am Legend, 300, Angels and Demons, The Da Vinci Code, Night at the Museum, Troy, The Day After Tomorrow, The Passion of Christ, Bruce Almighty, The Last Samurai, Signs, Minority Report, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Lord of the Rings, Oceans 11, Pearl Harbor, Cast Away, Gladiator, What Women Want, Met the Parents, Meet the ####ers, Hannibal,The Perfect Storm and What Lies Beneath.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chaka said:
Really?

I love the idea of a Joker origin story. Beyond that it's anyone's guess if it's going to be well done but the original concept is compelling IMO.

Not sure there is another "bad guy" I would say that about.
My only concern is that they don't turn this into some kind of a puff piece where their going for sympathy angles.

[icon] said:
The Joker has been perfected... Ledger took the character to an impossible apex. I’m not sure anyone can or even should try to step into those shoes again. Leto sure as hell shouldn’t have. 

All that said, if I was to see ANYONE out there give it a try, it would be Phoenix. File me under “very curious” about this film.... 
I agree to a certain extent.  Ledger as the Joker is amazing.  That movie is one of my all time favs.  

But I also remember when they announced him as the Joker thinking "The Joker has been perfected... no one will ever top Nicholson's performance."

So while I'm 97.2% sure this won't top Ledger, I'm always willing to watch to see if the other 3.6% comes to fruition.

I don’t think they should retire the joker character because an excellent actor died. That’s silly. Not everything needs to be a competition. Phoenix can put on a great performance even if it doesn’t equal Ledger. 

This whole thing about you can’t do something because somebody else did it great is ridiculous.  

Am I the only one who doesn't get why Nicholson's Joker is so highly thought of?  He had some good lines but I don't see why people think it was so great.

Am I the only one who doesn't get why Nicholson's Joker is so highly thought of?  He had some good lines but I don't see why people think it was so great.
I think it was because before him, the guy who played the Joker was a slapstick kind of guy on the TV show.  Jack brought his attitude to it and, at the time, it was a completely different take on what the Joker could be.  Looking back now, it seems kind of stupid.  But at the time, it was magnificent.

I think it was because before him, the guy who played the Joker was a slapstick kind of guy on the TV show.  Jack brought his attitude to it and, at the time, it was a completely different take on what the Joker could be.  Looking back now, it seems kind of stupid.  But at the time, it was magnificent.
This makes sense.  I was 15 when I saw Batman and enjoyed it.  Jack was good, some great lines.  Didn't have the same affect as when I saw Ledger.  Jack was a little more campy, Ledger was more serious I guess.

The Joker: Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
Bruce Wayne: What?
The Joker: I always ask that of all my prey. I just... like the sound of it.

Exactly.  From 1966 to 1989 The Joker was defined by Cesar Romero, who I personally feel played the character as delightfully insane. Nicholson's take was really obligated to use that as a starting point. Had he went "full Jack" I don't think audiences would have appreciated it. We certainly weren't ready for a Ledger type of Joker and had Burton delivered that I guarantee it would have been critically panned.

This makes sense.  I was 15 when I saw Batman and enjoyed it.  Jack was good, some great lines.  Didn't have the same affect as when I saw Ledger.  Jack was a little more campy, Ledger was more serious I guess.

The Joker: Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
Bruce Wayne: What?
The Joker: I always ask that of all my prey. I just... like the sound of it.
This town needs an enema!

Users who are viewing this thread