Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
jdoggydogg

The Joker (w/ Joaquin Phoenix)

I'm sitting in an empty theater for a 5:30pm screening. :oldunsure:

I like watching in silence but this is weird. I hope some more people show up.

Just got back.

Sure felt like a tragedy to me.

Good, but difficult to enjoy, movie.  I enjoyed the story and the performance, but it is a movie about a psychotic killer, after all.  They tend to be difficult characters for the average audience member to identify with.  You can't really pull for Arthur, cause everyone is waiting to see him become The Joker, but you can't pull for The Joker cause he's an insane murderer, so where do you place your interests, as a viewer?

I think the goal was to make the film intentionally uncomfortable and I felt  the creators hit their mark.  No doubt this will be a polarizing film.

YMMV,

J

• Like 5

2 hours ago, steelcitysledgehammers said:

Just got back.

Good, but difficult to enjoy, movie.  I enjoyed the story and the performance, but it is a movie about a psychotic killer, after all.  They tend to be difficult characters for the average audience member to identify with.  You can't really pull for Arthur, cause everyone is waiting to see him become The Joker, but you can't pull for The Joker cause he's an insane murderer, so where do you place your interests, as a viewer?

I think the goal was to make the film intentionally uncomfortable and I felt  the creators hit their mark.  No doubt this will be a polarizing film.

YMMV,

J

Very well put. 

I thought it was great, but also very sad.

The sub-plots were poignant and relevant.

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I was thoroughly impressed. Joaquin is an amazing actor, no doubt. I don't know if I liked him better than Ledger as the Joker, but it was an amazing character study. 

Edited by skycriesmary
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, skycriesmary said:

Yeah, I was thoroughly impressed. Joaquin is an amazing actor, no doubt. I don't know if I liked him better than Ledger as the Joker, but it was an amazing character study. Loved how they tied in a Spoiler Alert!

Dude, NoSpoilers.com 

• Like 2

Supposedly heavy police presence at NY theaters for this movie. 

12 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

Why?  Have there been specific threats?

3 hours ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Dude, NoSpoilers.com 

Oops. Not really anything new if you knew anything about their relationship.

2 hours ago, shadyridr said:

Nice way to waste money and resources.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ILUVBEER99 said:

I suppose, but if they don't do this and there's an incident, guess who gets blamed. Damned either way.

Edited by EYLive

2 hours ago, ILUVBEER99 said:

Sure it’s just OT. They aren’t taking guys off of routes for this. 

19 hours ago, steelcitysledgehammers said:

Just got back.

YMMV,

J

I'm going to love it!

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, skycriesmary said:

Oops. Not really anything new if you knew anything about their relationship.

It would be super cool of you if you edited that part of your post. I did not expect that to be in the movie. You literally said you "loved" that part so I don't think its too hard to understand why you shouldn't have posted about this soon after the movies release.

I'm not asking for me, I'm asking you to please edit it for others. Hope you have a great weekend. 

Edited by STEADYMOBBIN 22
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

No way he shot that gun only 6 times.

Fail.

So what age is he when he fights batman? 65?

Edited by eoMMan
Eta: meant "gun" not "guy"
  • Like 1

I have never been a comic book guy. Batman has always been the one I like but it's mostly due to how cool the bad guys are. Joker is obviously the best. However, I am not sure about this one. That said, the reviews are interesting, it won the top prize in Venice and it has stirred up the most controversy for any movie in years. I will for sure see this in the theater. The hype has got me. 

On 10/3/2019 at 7:53 PM, steelcitysledgehammers said:

it is a movie about a psychotic killer, after all.  They tend to be difficult characters for the average audience member to identify with. 

Ya think?  😁  But yes, you are correct.  :hifive:

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

2 hours ago, eoMMan said:

No way he shot that guy only 6 times.

Fail.

So what age is he when he fights batman? 65?

Yeah, that was the same thought I had when Bruce was introduced.

• Like 1

Fantastic. I am a Neanderthal when it comes to movies. This is down right nasty, and a character study, is in full effect. 2 or 3 times, you have "holy ####" moments. The end was perfect. Right where he started..in therapy. With bloody footsteps. Recommended.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony Jabroni said:

Fantastic. I am a Neanderthal when it comes to movies. This is down right nasty, and a character study, is in full effect. 2 or 3 times, you have "holy ####" moments. The end was perfect. Right where he started..in therapy. With bloody footsteps. Recommended.

Agreed. Careful though about those spoilers! 😂

• Thanks 1

I will have thoughts when the spoiler embargo is lifted. Non-spoiler review: a visceral theater experience that will shake you to your core. Multiple scenes where I couldn't process if I was supposed to laugh or cry, and I mean that as high praise. I plan to see it again before it leaves theaters. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I have not seen the movie.

However, this is page 5 of the dang thread and the movie has been out a couple days now.  If you dont expect spoilers at this point you are being obtuse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just saw this movie.

Only review I saw of it was not favorable.

I really enjoyed it.  Probably more than any movie i've seen in quite some time.  Partly due to lowered expectations from a bad review, but partly due to the incredibly interesting and unique character of the Joker.

The fact that he was the Joker could really have been completely removed from the movie and I'd still have seriously enjoyed the movie.  It almost added nothing to the movie, which is odd for a comic book movie to be able to have the comic book narrative removed from it and still be an incredibly compelling character movie.

Hats off to all involved.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the movie for quite a few reasons.

One, the performance.  I wish, in a way, it wasn't an identifiable character.  Joaquin lost himself in the character, but unlike some other actors who do this, I still saw the actor.  However, that aside, he was utterly and completely compelling as a mentally ill person.  Depth, vulnerability, insanity, rage, pity, scorn, madness...i mean, the sheer range of the performance was just brilliant.  

The script, just so much there.  Great characterization.  Great story line.  Interesting twists.  No easy answers even on central themes.  Surprises just in even small parts of the movie. 

The score - damned if that wasn't an amazing score - really added a ton to the movie, where the environment got drowned out and the music was playing, just really masterful directing and composing and acting, all blended together for incredible effect.

And for a little spoiler, read no further.  

The ending - just a jarring twist.  Brutal, but fitting.  Joker rises in his new persona, a public coming out ceremony, perfectly choreographed over time with him descending into madness, moving from his medicine, dealing with mom and coworkers, experiencing crime and enjoying it, hallucinations,  and a pretty apt social commentary to boot.

Just one hell of a fine piece of cinema.  I'd watch it again, which is not something I say much about any movie.  But the ride is about so much more than the destination here.

What an incredible movie. Wow. It was quite an experience, I must say.

• Like 1

I'm seeing articles about people walking out of theaters and crying for Joker to be banned. 

It's like these dummies thought they were gonna watch the Care Bear movie. BLOUSES.

1 hour ago, EYLive said:

I'm seeing articles about people walking out of theaters and crying for Joker to be banned. 

It's like these dummies thought they were gonna watch the Care Bear movie. BLOUSES.

What? ####### snowflakes.

• Like 1

Saw it this evening, big fan!  I sure hope this isn’t a one-off for Phoenix and the character, and I equally hope that should there be the deserved sequel of Batman v Joker it isn’t that Twilight dude as Batman that I’ve seen rumored!  This Joker is built for an edgy nemisis in Bruce that Keaton or Bale could provide, not the cleaner Affleck or sparkle-chest 

13 minutes ago, That one guy said:

Saw it this evening, big fan!  I sure hope this isn’t a one-off for Phoenix and the character, and I equally hope that should there be the deserved sequel of Batman v Joker it isn’t that Twilight dude as Batman that I’ve seen rumored!  This Joker is built for an edgy nemisis in Bruce that Keaton or Bale could provide, not the cleaner Affleck or sparkle-chest 

Not rumored, he’s signed 

Posted (edited)

Very Dark, maybe the darkest movie I’ve seen since "Seven" in the 90s.

Phoenix was amazing.

The sociopolitical undertones along with the artistry make this one of the most interesting films in years IMHO.

Edited by TripItUp
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)

I have used the laughing schtick in real life.

It works...

Edited by Tony Jabroni
  • Love 1

Sounds like I'll be seeing this one 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I think what makes this movie so great, both on it’s own and as an entry into a world we’re all familiar, is that the Joker never really shows up until the last scene.  It is a full and complete dive into Arthur Fleck’s insanity and only at the end do we finally see the true break and his embrace of it

Edited by That one guy

29 minutes ago, That one guy said:
  Hide contents

I think what makes this movie so great, both on it’s own and as an entry into a world we’re all familiar, is that the Joker never really shows up until the last scene.  It is a full and complete dive into Arthur Fleck’s insanity and only at the end do we finally see the true break and his embrace of it

Nailed it. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, adonis said:

I enjoyed the movie for quite a few reasons.

One, the performance.  I wish, in a way, it wasn't an identifiable character.  Joaquin lost himself in the character, but unlike some other actors who do this, I still saw the actor.  However, that aside, he was utterly and completely compelling as a mentally ill person.  Depth, vulnerability, insanity, rage, pity, scorn, madness...i mean, the sheer range of the performance was just brilliant.  

The script, just so much there.  Great characterization.  Great story line.  Interesting twists.  No easy answers even on central themes.  Surprises just in even small parts of the movie. 

The score - damned if that wasn't an amazing score - really added a ton to the movie, where the environment got drowned out and the music was playing, just really masterful directing and composing and acting, all blended together for incredible effect.

And for a little spoiler, read no further.  

The ending - just a jarring twist.  Brutal, but fitting.  Joker rises in his new persona, a public coming out ceremony, perfectly choreographed over time with him descending into madness, moving from his medicine, dealing with mom and coworkers, experiencing crime and enjoying it, hallucinations,  and a pretty apt social commentary to boot.

Just one hell of a fine piece of cinema.  I'd watch it again, which is not something I say much about any movie.  But the ride is about so much more than the destination here.

The music was great...

Can’t wait to see this. Not surprised, Always thought the trailers looked awesome. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Damn you guys, I was planning on skipping this one in the theaters. 

Do NOT miss out on the chance to see this in the theater. My son and I waked out afterward and both agreed to see it again next weekend. It’s amazing.

Edited by Jobber
Typo

53 minutes ago, Jobber said:

Do NOT miss out on the chance to see this in the theater. My son and I waked out afterward and both agreed to see it again next weekend. It’s amazing.

Agreed. Need the big screen and sound for the full experience. Might go IMAX for my second viewing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jobber said:

13 year old handle this?

5 hours ago, That one guy said:
  Hide contents

I think he became the Joker when he killed his mother and realized his life wasn't a tragedy, but a comedy. He had no problems killing his friend after that and doing joker things on the Murray show. Also, I'm guessing he killed his neighbor lady imaginary girlfriend too but that part hit the cutting room floor. 

So awesome. So much going on. One of those rare movies you not only watch again, but, several times.  It's like what is he doing pulling everything out of the refrigerator.....oh that's what.