What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's Your Passion? (1 Viewer)

Traveling. I love to see new places and experience new cultures and food. In the next couple of years I will accomplish one goal of being on every continent. I’m really not into “stuff.” Just put me on a plane to a new place and I’m happy.

My consuming passion is that, before i leave this impatient rock, the human race has an operating manual. There is a lot to criticize about modern behavior and society. It has been dragging ### and knuckles to keep pace with technical progress and the senile demise of God, and i know why. As i've said before around here, i have a very good idea how humans will be acting centuries from now (if we make it there), and they will look back and laugh at this era's conduct the way we do at the medicine of a few hundred years ago.

The first step toward reform will be agreeing on models of health. Ask a dozen people (including "professionals") what constitutes a happy, healthy, productive, useful human being and you will get 14 different answers. Simply put, that's a procedural flaw. As i've also said before, when it comes to constructs & conduct, improvising is for fools & geniuses.

I have troubled this question since my wife (who, though brilliant & vibrant, could never repair the damage from molestation) died 20some years ago and i have an acceptable model and a set of gameplans & rituals that have helped set a living criteria for many guinea pigs (including a couple dozen FFAppers). I'm writing it up to be an early map of the contours of happiness and personal resolution for a people ready to move beyond old fables, myths & fairy stories to get to the business of living well & together. There's no money in it, but there's more than that to life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Traveling. I love to see new places and experience new cultures and food. In the next couple of years I will accomplish one goal of being on every continent. I’m really not into “stuff.” Just put me on a plane to a new place and I’m happy.
Yup...Positano and Switzerland among some smaller trips this year. Plenty of other things I would label as interests, like photography and grilling, etc but the real passion is travelling. We live for our next trip.

Physical fitness. It began because I realized that unless I strike it rich that I'll need to work substantially longer than prior generations. And most people I was around that were nearing retirement had at least some health issues - and obviously some were worse than others.  I didn't want to stumble to the finish line like they were then not be able to enjoy those years to their fullest.  It stuck because of the intangible impact it's had on my mind, energy, and attitude. And tangibly because of my desire to race.

Nothing.  Both literally and sarcastically.  I look forward to evenings where nothing is on the schedule and I don't have to do anything.  While I love coaching, and I love going to watch my boys play their sports, there is nothing like the feeling of going home with nothing to do.  Of course I usually go to bed feeling like I had wasted an evening, so it isn't exactly rewarding...

Nothing.  Both literally and sarcastically.  I look forward to evenings where nothing is on the schedule and I don't have to do anything.  While I love coaching, and I love going to watch my boys play their sports, there is nothing like the feeling of going home with nothing to do.  Of course I usually go to bed feeling like I had wasted an evening, so it isn't exactly rewarding...
This is interesting. Not sure if its a midlife crisis thing or not, but I have been enjoying  the "simple life" more and more. I have a small place in the mountains of Pa, no internet, no cell phone coverage etc and just being there without any of the real world nonsense is something I have been enjoying much more. 

I am a creative man of many interests... film, poetry, karate, music, and dance.

I am a man of passion and mystery.

I am a man of lust.

This is interesting. Not sure if its a midlife crisis thing or not, but I have been enjoying  the "simple life" more and more. I have a small place in the mountains of Pa, no internet, no cell phone coverage etc and just being there without any of the real world nonsense is something I have been enjoying much more. 
OK cool, I thought someone was going to come and tell me I was depressed.

Yup...Positano and Switzerland among some smaller trips this year. Plenty of other things I would label as interests, like photography and grilling, etc but the real passion is travelling. We live for our next trip.
We went to Positano four years ago and it is amazing. I had the most incredible cherry tomatoes there. Lots of lemoncello too. 

Never made it to Switzerland, but it’s high on the list.

Have fun!

My consuming passion is that, before i leave this impatient rock, the human race has an operating manual. There is a lot to criticize about modern behavior and society. It has been dragging ### and knuckles to keep pace with technical progress and the senile demise of God, and i know why. As i've said before around here, i have a very good idea how humans will be acting centuries from now (if we make it there), and they will look back and laugh at this era's conduct the way we do at the medicine of a few hundred years ago.

The first step toward reform will be agreeing on models of health. Ask a dozen people what constitutes a happy, healthy, productive, useful human being and you will get 14 different answers. Simply put, that's a procedural flaw. As i've also said before, when it comes to constructs & conduct, improvising is for fools & genuises.

I have troubled this question since my wife (who, though brilliant & vibrant, could never repair the damage from molestation) died 20some years ago and i have an acceptable model and a set of gameplans & rituals that have helped set a living criteria for many guinea pigs (including a couple dozen FFAppers). I'm writing it up to be an early map of the contours of happiness and personal resolution for a people ready to move beyond old fables, myths & fairy stories to get to the business of living well & together. There's no money in it, but there's more than that to life.
Thanks. This should be its own thread as I can see this having lots of discussion. Can you start one for it?

Football officiating.  Not much else that I can talk for hours about.  The rules, the mechanics, calls I have made, why calls were not made, etc......

All things related to food...eating, cooking, finding new restaurants I love. Few things make me happier than cooking for others and having them really enjoy what I make.

I also love to travel but when I think of it, when I do travel, much of the joy I get from it is finding awesome food in the places I visit.

Thanks. This should be its own thread as I can see this having lots of discussion. Can you start one for it?
making a wikkidthread of it would be like making a Trump thread - converting the converted and rejecting everyone else. just gonna keep poisoning pertinent wells for the time being, but thx for your input. as with all the other projects i never finish, y'all will be in on the unveiling...

ETA: I may roll out chapters in advance of publishing the entire manual and, unless "publishers" incentivize me not to, FFA will always be my first consideration in so doing. Mr Ishida's Self-Help Book

making a wikkidthread of it would be like making a Trump thread - converting the converted and rejecting everyone else. just gonna keep poisoning pertinent wells for the time being, but thx for your input. as with all the other projects i never finish, y'all will be in on the unveiling...

ETA: I may roll out chapters in advance of publishing the entire manual and, unless "publishers" incentivize me not to, FFA will always be my first consideration in so doing. Mr Ishida's Self-Help Book
Thanks. Do you care to discuss any parts of it? If so, I'd love to see it's own thread for it. If you'd rather not discuss it, then for sure no worries. 

Thanks. Do you care to discuss any parts of it? If so, I'd love to see it's own thread for it. If you'd rather not discuss it, then for sure no worries. 
Like many FFAppers dream, you break the huddle of fellows who've come to count on you, go up to the line, look at the defense, call out the appropriate adjustments, bark the snap count as 50,000 screaming fans and millions of TV viewers watch in anticipation, take the ball, step up to beat the rush and throw a perfect spiral down the field for the winning touchdown.

No, wait. You haven't practiced a lick of this and, if you don't fumble the snap and fall flat on your face as a result while competitors shake their head or laugh, you get your spine snapped in three places by people who've actually trained for this moment.

This is pretty much what everybody is doing with their lives. For 10,000 years of civilization there was a code, an ethic that pretty much everyone around you observed and you led, joined or followed within that construct. There are reasons, authoritarian abuses mostly, why those codes are being thrown away. Being the first generation free to believe what we choose, we've chosen to believe in our self or nothing at all. And we intend to get away with that WITHOUT any kind of plan, only a minimum of forethought, practice or consideration. As a result the field is littered with mud-caked "quarterbacks" writhing on the ground in pain. Whoda thunk it?!

Like many FFAppers dream, you break the huddle of fellows who've come to count on you, go up to the line, look at the defense, call out the appropriate adjustments, bark the snap count as 50,000 screaming fans and millions of TV viewers watch in anticipation, take the ball, step up to beat the rush and throw a perfect spiral down the field for the winning touchdown.

No, wait. You haven't practiced a lick of this and, if you don't fumble the snap and fall flat on your face as a result while competitors shake their head or laugh, you get your spine snapped in three places by people who've actually trained for this moment.

This is pretty much what everybody is doing with their lives. For 10,000 years of civilization there was a code, an ethic that pretty much everyone around you observed and you led, joined or followed within that construct. There are reasons, authoritarian abuses mostly, why those codes are being thrown away. Being the first generation free to believe what we choose, we've chosen to believe in our self or nothing at all. And we intend to get away with that WITHOUT any kind of plan, only a minimum of forethought, practice or consideration. As a result the field is littered with mud-caked "quarterbacks" writhing on the ground in pain. Whoda thunk it?!
Exactly. This is the kind of thing that would make for great discussion in its own thread I think. Would you prefer I start it?

Exactly. This is the kind of thing that would make for great discussion in its own thread I think. Would you prefer I start it?
Folks don't want to talk about it. Some will listen, but few will discuss it. There's a simple, abiding reason for that - no one wants to admit they're ordinary, that their trials & triumphs aren't all that different from the next guy. We will follow any snake oil salesperson who convinces us we might not be ordinary. Great is better than good by a country mile these days and that's just wrong.

Since we've chosen to believe in naught but ourselves, we've done little but establish the difference between us and others. Sorry to inform, but this all only works together. Just barely, even then. In the world i was born into, 2 out of 3 Americans (women, non-whites & differents) were not free to choose their lives for themselves and, actually 2 outta 3 white men weren't free to choose much neither. Now we all can, pretty much, and i've resigned myself to the fact that humanity has wasted two gens and will waste at least two gens more celebrating that freedom. Goodonya.

But the fact that we've made great progress demystifying every aspect of life but behavior troubles me terribly. That's why i'm charting the shoreline of the land we'll need to sail to once we've burned everything else down. Just as Spinoza & DesCartes & Bacon & Pascal charted the path to political freedom well before altar & throne would indulge any attempt at liberty, it's time for some us to begin to show that life is not about proving but about improving and providing, that liberty does not mean license.

But the noise outside the window is too loud right now. I'll be happy to bat some of it around privately with any who want (as i have with many forum members already) but, between treatment of those in need and my writing work, i haven't the time and strength to row against the tide.

Folks don't want to talk about it. Some will listen, but few will discuss it. There's a simple, abiding reason for that - no one wants to admit they're ordinary, that their trials & triumphs aren't all that different from the next guy. We will follow any snake oil salesperson who convinces us we might not be ordinary. Great is better than good by a country mile these days and that's just wrong.

Since we've chosen to believe in naught but ourselves, we've done little but establish the difference between us and others. Sorry to inform, but this all only works together. Just barely, even then. In the world i was born into, 2 out of 3 Americans (women, non-whites & differents) were not free to choose their lives for themselves and, actually 2 outta 3 white men weren't free to choose much neither. Now we all can, pretty much, and i've resigned myself to the fact that humanity has wasted two gens and will waste at least two gens more celebrating that freedom. Goodonya.

But the fact that we've made great progress demystifying every aspect of life but behavior troubles me terribly. That's why i'm charting the shoreline of the land we'll need to sail to once we've burned everything else down. Just as Spinoza & DesCartes & Bacon & Pascal charted the path to political freedom well before altar & throne would indulge any attempt at liberty, it's time for some us to begin to show that life is not about proving but about improving and providing, that liberty does not mean license.

But the noise outside the window is too loud right now. I'll be happy to bat some of it around privately with any who want (as i have with many forum members already) but, between treatment of those in need and my writing work, i haven't the time and strength to row against the tide.
Ok.

I'll throw up a thread with what we talked about here. If you feel like discussing, I feel sure people want to talk about it. I disagree with you that they don't. Now if not "rowing against the tide" means "I don't want to hear anyone who has a different thought", that's different. But I don't think that's what you mean. 

Thanks for caring about this kind of stuff. It's important. 

Well, you eliminated my 1st 2 passions...family and football.  After that it is teaching.  It is trying to add some value, thinking and problem solving skills, to the lives of others to help them get to a place where they can pursue their passion...helping people get to a point where they can choose their life rather than have it dictated to them.

I'm in this boat.  As the kids get older they have more to do, which means less time for me.  I was already becoming apathetic to doing things I once was passionate about (mountain biking, for one), now I have a legitimate reason.  

I do play poker once a month or so, but I'm not super passionate about it.

I like tasting new beers, but it makes me bloated.  I'm starting to become "blah" about drinking alcohol in general.  

I don't read.  Not super artistic.  Only work out to lose weight, not because I like it.  

So yeah, nothing really.  Which is kinda sad.

Wrestling and tabletop gaming are my two passions, forget sports. Wrestling is just a form of entertainment that rewards the passionate. Tabletop gaming is part collection, part competition, but with all that comes tabletop RPGs, namely D&D, and well D&D...

D&D to me is spreading the great community and escape that tabletop roleplaying has to offer. Spreading imagination and some good cooperative stories with people I barely knew 3 hours beforehand. Rolling dice and killing a few monsters in what is, after all, a game that could help one pass an evening or lazy weekend. Mainly focused on D&D 5E, but I have learned and taught many, many different TTRPGs in the last 4+ years.

---

The current rundown:

Coordinating a weekly D&D night at a local brewery (Wednesdays in fact! I'll be over there in a couple hours.) Hands down my favorite night of every week.

3 bi-weekly home games with a steady core at each table and one that rotates new players in to get a feel for a home game as opposed to the public setting. Not always D&D.

Monthly Gamemaster breakfast and roundtable discussion. Fostering new GMs, helping each other hone our crafts, planning big things on the horizon of our games

Working on another summer camp style series for kids. Without my friend's store this will be much tougher, but that's how brewery night was born and it has been a wild success, so really trying to make it happen

---

The D&D webseries is ancillary to what I consider my passion projects. It's awesome to be a part of such an undertaking, and I hope it gets picked up for season 2. Outside of giving 110% on camera and doing promotion, it's not quite the same as what I've listed above. All that above is me actively trying to spread the game.

I and others I have brought to our tables have made strong friendships and shared some great stories along the way, and that's why I'm still going so strong with such sustained engagement.

Music is my passion. In all forms. Mostly playing and writing songs but also listening. I have an extensive vinyl collection and killer speakers. But playing guitar, writing new songs and playing with other musicians is the greatest joy to me. I honestly feel like it’s a gift. Not that I’m a virtuoso guitar player or anything but just the gift of having a good ear and tapping into a dimension that has no language barrier and having that natural rhythm to pick up an instrument and create something new. It’s just awesome!

Wrestling and tabletop gaming are my two passions, forget sports. Wrestling is just a form of entertainment that rewards the passionate. Tabletop gaming is part collection, part competition, but with all that comes tabletop RPGs, namely D&D, and well D&D...

D&D to me is spreading the great community and escape that tabletop roleplaying has to offer. Spreading imagination and some good cooperative stories with people I barely knew 3 hours beforehand. Rolling dice and killing a few monsters in what is, after all, a game that could help one pass an evening or lazy weekend. Mainly focused on D&D 5E, but I have learned and taught many, many different TTRPGs in the last 4+ years.

---

The current rundown:

Coordinating a weekly D&D night at a local brewery (Wednesdays in fact! I'll be over there in a couple hours.) Hands down my favorite night of every week.

3 bi-weekly home games with a steady core at each table and one that rotates new players in to get a feel for a home game as opposed to the public setting. Not always D&D.

Monthly Gamemaster breakfast and roundtable discussion. Fostering new GMs, helping each other hone our crafts, planning big things on the horizon of our games

Working on another summer camp style series for kids. Without my friend's store this will be much tougher, but that's how brewery night was born and it has been a wild success, so really trying to make it happen

---

The D&D webseries is ancillary to what I consider my passion projects. It's awesome to be a part of such an undertaking, and I hope it gets picked up for season 2. Outside of giving 110% on camera and doing promotion, it's not quite the same as what I've listed above. All that above is me actively trying to spread the game.

I and others I have brought to our tables have made strong friendships and shared some great stories along the way, and that's why I'm still going so strong with such sustained engagement.
Not my thing whatsoever but damn, clearly you’re passionate about it and it makes you happy. Awesome  :thumbup:

I don’t think I have one. I like sleeping a lot. And coffee. If I didn’t work and had time all to myself, I’d run and play golf and hang out with my family. So maybe I should take up speedgolf. 

All things related to food...eating, cooking, finding new restaurants I love. Few things make me happier than cooking for others and having them really enjoy what I make.

I also love to travel but when I think of it, when I do travel, much of the joy I get from it is finding awesome food in the places I visit.
I'm very much the same.  When we decide to take a trip, one of the first things I look for online is what the best and coolest restaurants are there.

My other biggest passion is playing pool.  I've been playing leagues for over thirty years.  Mostly 8-ball, but I have done 9-ball some.  Never good enough to play on any circuit, but just love the game the same.

Leroy Hoard said:
I don't want to be the next guy killed by a mountain lion. I'll look like such a wimp compared to that recent runner.
Exactly.  I love hiking in the woods and mountains, but I'm also terrified of being attacked by wild animals or getting hurt and not being able to get rescued.  Or coming across some horror movie psycho that wants to wear my skin as their face mask while they pleasure themselves to my severed feet.  You know, the normal stuff people worry about.

But I do love the quietness and beauty of nature.  So peaceful.  

Aside from my family my passion is home brewing.   I started in the mid-80s and have really stepped it up in the last 3-4 years, investing a decent amount of cash on equipment and upgrading the garage to a brewery.   I brew 1/2 bbl batches every other week and have 8 taps.   I just turned 60 and do not see my interest fading anytime soon.   

My wife has been bugging me to build a barn/shed to move the brewery out of the garage but I'm not sure I want to invest $25-$30k when we'll likely be downsizing and moving out in 10-15 years.

Users who are viewing this thread