What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Movie Poll/Not Poll - 2014 (1 Viewer)

KarmaPolice

Footballguy
Alright, let's try to fire these up and get some movie talk flowing again (and get me back into watching a movie every now and again).  

I will be up front - I don't have time to keep up on the math for lists, and I am not confident that I could keep up with the countdowns.    @Ilov80s offered to do the math, but that still leaves the countdowns.   What I am thinking is that we just post our lists in the threads and just use if for a year by year movie conversation for fun.  

SO - all I am proposing for now is to post a list of no more than 20movies that you would have for tops on the years.  We will still pretend that we are submitting lists and limit them to 20 movies.  

2014 was a solid but contentious year for me.   Everything from Winter Soldier to Lego Movie to Whiplash.  Then mix in critical darlings that I couldn't get into like Boyhood and Grand Budapest.

This will be a hard one for me to narrow down and rank.  

2014 was a solid but contentious year for me.   Everything from Winter Soldier to Lego Movie to Whiplash.  Then mix in critical darlings that I couldn't get into like Boyhood and Grand Budapest.

This will be a hard one for me to narrow down and rank.  
so just 2014 movies?

Alright, let's try to fire these up and get some movie talk flowing again (and get me back into watching a movie every now and again).  

I will be up front - I don't have time to keep up on the math for lists, and I am not confident that I could keep up with the countdowns.    @Ilov80s offered to do the math, but that still leaves the countdowns.   What I am thinking is that we just post our lists in the threads and just use if for a year by year movie conversation for fun.  

SO - all I am proposing for now is to post a list of no more than 20movies that you would have for tops on the years.  We will still pretend that we are submitting lists and limit them to 20 movies.  
I have no idea doing the math and countdown. I would create a Google form that would sort it all out easily and then post the funny reviews

I will have to dig a little bit more, but this one could have a few more popcorny movies than my usual lists with stuff like Edge of Tomorrow, X-Men, Winter Soldier, Lego Movie, HTTYD 2, and a couple others coming out.   

Most of the indie ones that I had in my mind for this year I guess came out in 2013 - Fruitvale Station, Blue Ruin, Short Term 12.

Just on quick scan, ones I need to catch up on for the year are: John Wick, Imitation Game,  and a re-watch of Inherent Vice.  Look forward to more lists and ideas though.  

I feel a bit behind on this year.  I’ve seen some stuff here and there, but, looking at the list of 2014 movies, this reminds me that I had DVDs of Boyhood and Selma from Netflix outstanding at the time that my son was born, which I eventually returned unwatched after they collected dust for a month or two, and switched to Netflix streaming only.  I’ve got some other holes like Interstellar,  Whiplash, and Birdman.  

I’ve got some work to do.

Have to recuse myself on this one. The year 2014, that is. I  :heart:  that we're going back to it and hope, now that #s won't be speaking for us, that listers will do capsules with their picks. But since i moved up to my frozen tomb here in '13, Redbox and a recent Netflix streaming subscription juuuuust when they were moving from movies to original content is all i have by which to judge moviedom. I did get a bunch of Oscar-nominated DVDs when my cousin sent some of his judging disks along with my copy of his Into the Woods, so i know enough to say that The Imitation Game is one of the 3 or 4 best movies of this century but that and loving Grand Budapest more than all previous Wesmovies combined and Insurgent signifying the end of good moviemaking is about all i can say about 2014.

A couple must sees (many of them are often on Netflix)

Whiplash

Nightcrawer

Interstellar 

Ex Machina

Grand Budapest Hotel

Quick scan of a list and wrote these down as some favorites:

Whiplash

Boyhood

Birdman

The Babadook

Ida

Nightcrawler

Locke

Grand Budapest Hotel

Mistaken for Strangers

I'll have to find a more extensive list and look for others I enjoyed.

I just sent mine in.

A couple films that I enjoyed and seem to rewatch a lot are Guardians Of The Galaxy and Kingsmen - Secret Service

The Dreaded Marco said:
The Babadook
This reminded me that It Follows was this year as well.   

I know there aren't a ton of fans for the genre in here, but there were some other horror movies that I dug for various reasons (as usual, mostly foreign):  Dead Snow 2, Creep, and Goodnight Mommy stood out the most from the lists.  A Girl Walks Home at Night wasn't my favorite, but I appreciated the look and effort.   

2014 was a great year for horror. 

Best films include It Follows, As Above So Below, Creep, What We Do in the Shdows, and The Taking of Deborah Logan. 

Other decent ones are Goodnight Mommy, Annabelle, The Canal, Clown, and VHS Viral.

2014 was also the year of The Babadook but I found it incredibly underwhelming considering the hype it got. 

2014 was also the year of The Babadook but I found it incredibly underwhelming considering the hype it got. 
I think the idea of it and the book made the movie for me.  Remember not loving the end though.  For me, It Follows was better, and have some genuinely scary moments. 

How you felt about Babadook was my reaction to What We Do in the Shadows.  Lotta hype, but underwhelming. 

1 Guardians of the Galaxy

2 Xmen Days of Future Past

3 Draft Day

4 Annabelle

5 John Wick

6 Maleficent

7 Equalizer

8 Veronica Mars

9 Captain America: Winter Soldier

10 Maze Runner

11 Edge of Tommorrow

12 Kingsman: Secret Service

13 Taken 3

14 Amazing Spiderman 2

15 Teenage Muntant Ninja Turtles

16 Unfriended

17 Ride Along

18 Expendables 3

19 Purge: Anarchy

20 Godzillia

HM Ouija

Last edited by a moderator:
 I just didn't get this movie.  It seemed really slow and really strange.  It would not get a recommendation from me. 

Just glancing at the huge list of movies that came out in 2014 these are the only ones that I would consider very good-great:

Birdman

Theory of Everything

Foxcatcher 

'71

Honorable mention

Nightcrawler

Whiplash

The Drop

Inherent Vice 

Boyhood

John Wick. /fin

22 jump street.

Big hero 6

Apes

Edge of tommorow

Kingsman

Fury

American sniper.

Lucy

I finally got around to watching "Boyhood" this weekend.  I appreciate the filmmaking challenges in making a movie over 12 years, and I really wanted to love it for that reason.  I'll still give it credit for that, but it just felt a bit empty otherwise.  Script was kind of blah, and just seemed to drag by the end.  Solid acting by Patricia Arquette though.

I finally got around to watching "Boyhood" this weekend.  I appreciate the filmmaking challenges in making a movie over 12 years, and I really wanted to love it for that reason.  I'll still give it credit for that, but it just felt a bit empty otherwise.  Script was kind of blah, and just seemed to drag by the end.  Solid acting by Patricia Arquette though.
I totally agree. It is an incredible accomplishment but the story isn't all that interesting.

Good year though and I were doing my "Oscar Challenge", I think my nominees for Best Picture would be:

Birdman

Whiplash

Grand Budapest Hotel

Nightcrawler

The Imitation Game

Ex Machina 

Note: I still need to see Selma, The Theory of Everything and Gone Girl. 

Quick scan of a list and wrote these down as some favorites:

Whiplash

Boyhood

Birdman

The Babadook

Ida

Nightcrawler

Locke

Grand Budapest Hotel

Mistaken for Strangers
After seeing a few others listed in the thread and going over the entire release list, a few more I'd add to my list:

Chef

Edge of Tomorrow

Land Ho!

The Drop

Rudderless

I love a few of these movies but overall not a super strong year for me.

Good year though and I were doing my "Oscar Challenge", I think my nominees for Best Picture would be:

Birdman

Whiplash

Grand Budapest Hotel

Nightcrawler

The Imitation Game

Ex Machina 

Note: I still need to see Selma, The Theory of Everything and Gone Girl. 
Still putting my list together, but I think these will end up being my top 3.   I think they were also high up on my list when I did my top 50 movies from 2011-2015 thread.  

I grabbed John Wick and Imitation Game at the library yesterday, and hope to watch them over the weekend or on my Tuesday off next week.  

I think there was a bit of arguing about it when it came out, but what are people's thoughts in here about Boyhood?

I think there was a bit of arguing about it when it came out, but what are people's thoughts in here about Boyhood?
Touched on it earlier here. Great accomplishment and worthy of best director but the story fell flat and it’s something I’ll likely never watch again.

Users who are viewing this thread