What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

South Carolina Trip (1 Viewer)

Jackstraw

Footballguy
Need some trip advice. 

My son has a buddy stationed in Charleston and wants to visit. We are heading that way March 9-March 18th or so. Son is grown and will be doing his own thing. So me and the wife have a pretty open schedule and are looking to entertain ourselves. 

Among things we would like to do: Good authentic regional food, civil war sites, music, enjoying the coast/widlife, possible fishing? But if you have any other suggestions  arts, museums, festivals etc. it would be appreciated. Just want legit local experience. Not chains or overly commercial stuff. Wife mentioned something about ghost tours in Charleston. 

I will be driving so anything between is fair game too. Nashvile or Memphis. Would like to visit the Grand ol Oprey perhaps. 

I'm just a redneck boy from Kansas. Pretty much a blank slate as far as that area is concerned.  

Hit Nashville, Skip Memphis. 

Do you golf?  Lots of good golf. You can check out the Citadel if you’re interested, but I’d stick to downtown. There’s a carriage tour which is ok. There’s a ghost tour which is interesting enough. Lots of great food, just skip the touristy bubba Gump type places. 

Personal favorite is here (and you got maybe a 1 in 10 shot of running into a Bill Murray there): https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g54171-d463410-Reviews-Magnolias-Charleston_South_Carolina.html

:blackdot:

Might go in July for our anniversary. Other than “It will be hot and humid”, looking forward to some input here. 

War Between the States stuff:  The obvious, Fort Sumter, but take in Fort Moultrie too.  While Moultrie is more famous from a Revolutionary view, it did take part in the shelling of Sumter.  Downtown above "the market" (which you will most likely find yourself at at some point) there is the Confederate Museum run by the United Daughters of the Confederacy - Site link.  You can also visit the Hunley

Ghost tours: I took a walking one years ago with my kids, it was interesting.  As mentioned above as well, horse drawn carriage tours are interesting.  With those, you never know which route you will get, it is assigned as you head out.  Side note, I'm worried about how good these are now.  There was a legal fight to stop the city from making tour guides pass a test and be certified, the city lost, so who knows how knowledgeable the guides are now.

coast/wildlife:  The water will be cold, but naturally there are beaches.  Isle of Palms, Sullivans Island and Folly Beach are the three public areas.  Depends on where you will be staying.
The different plantations are more nature than wildlife, but might be what you are looking for.  Visit the Angel Oak if you get a chance.  There are National forests/gardens and such too. 

possible fishing: Are you talking off a pier or on a boat?  Folly Beach has a pier that you can fish off of, and there are plenty of fishing boats.  If thinking out on a boat, I know someone that is in that business.  I can't find the name of the business right now, but if that is the case and I will ask and get a link.

Food:  I leave that to others.  I'm not enough of a foodie to be a good source.  One place that I know is Page's Okra Grill, they have very specific hours, so check before you go.
Since my wife's diagnoses of Celiac Disease, our restaurant choices is very limited.  But, plenty of others can help you here.

Other stuff:  Charleston MuseumSouth Carolina AquariumPatriots Point - Yorktown, to name a few. 

Hit Nashville, Skip Memphis. 

Do you golf?  Lots of good golf. You can check out the Citadel if you’re interested, but I’d stick to downtown. There’s a carriage tour which is ok. There’s a ghost tour which is interesting enough. Lots of great food, just skip the touristy bubba Gump type places. 

Personal favorite is here (and you got maybe a 1 in 10 shot of running into a Bill Murray there): https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g54171-d463410-Reviews-Magnolias-Charleston_South_Carolina.html
Magnolias is excellent. Charleston is just a nice place to visit. 

Husk - one of Sean Brock's restaurants.  Really great. One of my favorite meals ever.

Next to Husk is 82 Queen - the best She-Crab soup I've ever had.

Lewis Barbecue - legit TX Beef BBQ in SC.  I forget the exact lineage but I think the owner is from Austin and worked with Franklin or something like that.

If you can work it into your travel plans, Scott BBQ in Hemingway, SC is worth a visit.  Its an old school whole hog place at the crossroads of a small town surrounded by cotton fields. I'm not normally a fan of whole hog or sauce but both of them work here.

Locals can definitely provide better insight than me.  When I was down there a few years ago, I enjoyed Fort Sumter, Patriots Point, and Boone Hall Plantation.  Carriage tour around the historic area was pretty good too.  Wish I got to the Hunley, but I got vetoed on that.

If you find yourself tempted to drink local wine, skip the Muscadine wine. I’d take some three buck Chuck over that crap.

I’m not sure if the Civil War mention indicates a general interest in history.  If you go to Nashville, Andrew Jackson’s Hermitage worth checking out.

If you can work it into your travel plans, Scott BBQ in Hemingway, SC is worth a visit.  Its an old school whole hog place at the crossroads of a small town surrounded by cotton fields. I'm not normally a fan of whole hog or sauce but both of them work here.
Rodney Scott has a place in Charleston too.

but I’d stick to downtown.
Don't make your plans for just downtown, make sure you are in the Historic District. You could be downtown but be a couple of miles from where you really want to be on the peninsula and that's the Historic District. 

Users who are viewing this thread