What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Miles Boykin - official thread - WR - Notre Dame (1 Viewer)

bicycle_seat_sniffer

Smells like chicken
people going crazy over Metcalf......here is Miles Boykins combine numbers:

43 1⁄2 inch vertical

11’8” broad jump

6.77 3 cone

4.07 shuttle

And oh yeah... a 4.42 40 yard dash

went - 59 catches for 872 yards (14.8) average and 8tds. 

Pretty quiet about him.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Daniel Jeremiah's Day 2 NFL Scouting Combine takeaways

Excerpt:

Miles Boykin, Notre Dame: Boykin might have jumped up draft boards on Saturday after running a 4.42 40. His Notre Dame teammates certainly thought he had a good afternoon.

"For him, it was a big day," Jeremiah said. "I didn't necessarily think he played this fast as he ran, but he jumped out of the gym and he ran fast, caught the ball well. He's not as sudden and immediately fast, but he showed tremendous build-up speed."

Draft Network's Brad Kelly writes that Notre Dame junior WR Miles Boykin possesses "strong, natural hands that allows him to pluck passes out of the air at full extension."

"Numerous times [in Saturday's win over Stanford], he adjusted to balls thrown slightly behind or ahead of him with ease, always extending towards the catch point," Kelly notes, referring to Boykin as "look[ing] the part of a possession receiver at the next level." The 6-foot-4, 228-pounder -- now freed from the shackles of QB Brandon Wimbush -- went off to grab 11 passes for 144 yards versus the Cardinal this past weekend. Concluded the analyst, "His size limits his burst after the catch, but few receivers have his combination of strength and ball skills upon entering the NFL draft."

SOURCE: Draft Network 

Oct 4, 2018, 4:10 PM

Reminds me of Chris Conley. Guy had #### college production and completely blew up the combine. I’d take a chance on him after the Stanley Morgan’s are off the board.

Notre Dame WR Miles Boykin recorded a 99.9th percentile SPARQ score at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Whew. For all the hype DK Metcalf got about his athleticism, Boykin (6'4/220) outperformed him. Boykin recorded a 4.42 40-yard dash, 6.77 3-cone, 43.5-inch vertical, and an 11.6-foot broad jump. Boykin entered the weekend as a potential Day 2 selection after recording just 1206 yards and 11 touchdowns on 77 receptions in three seasons at Notre Dame. After posting ridiculous testing numbers at the NFL Scouting Combine he has a shot to be a late Day 1 selection.

SOURCE: 3 Sigma

Mar 3, 2019, 5:55 AM

He’s a guy I’m hoping slips on actual draft day and to me in round 2 of fantasy drafts. He’s like Metcalf lite

Last edited by a moderator:
He’s a guy I’m hoping slips on actual draft day and to me in round 2 of fantasy drafts. He’s like Metcalf lite
Metcalf lite in that neither set the woods on fire as far as production?   I guess Metcalf can use injuries as an excuse.  What about Boykin?

Traits wise, he looks really good.  I hadn't looked at him prior to the combine, I've now gone through 2 games worth.  Personally I think his best outcome will be more as a blocker because that's when I see the animal kind of comes out, I don't see that at the catch point though.  He is solid catching the ball as well but I don't see the ceiling.  Versatile player and he'll have value though.  

35% of ND receiving TDs

25% of their receiving yards

If ND threw more he'd have been a 70-1000-10 guy.

I'm not going to pump him much anymore but when he slips to the 2nd round you better grab him. He wouldn't be slipping out of the 1st round if my rookie draft was today. 

The Athletic's Dane Brugler lists Notre Dame WR Miles Boykin as a player that will make him rewatch the tape after his performance at the combine.

Boykin was sensational in Indianapolis, recording a perfect 150 SPARQ score that tested in the 99.9th percentile. As Brugler notes, "At 6-4 and 220 pounds, he ran the fastest three-cone (6.77) among the receivers and tied for the best vertical jump (43.5 inches)." He also notes, however, that he didn't always play at that speed at Notre Dame, and that he often looked like he "needed a moment" to get up to top gear. "Boykin is a good-sized player with the adjustment skills to be a reliable target," Brugler writes, "but getting a better read on his play speed and route athleticism will be on the to-do list of evaluators following the combine."

SOURCE: Dane Brugler on Twitter

Mar 6, 2019, 12:45 PM

ND fan.    Production would have been better, but they had athletes playing qb.    Wimbush played the first 4 games this year, then they went to Book who was a solid 3 star recruit and a red shirt sophomore this past season.    

It's a deep class. Probably going to push them down in the draft a bit there's so many of them. 

Yeah good year to not be in the top 5 im thinking....people will take rbs in the top5...i got 4 dynos...sitting at 1.3 1.6 1.10 and 1.12....should be good wrs late in round1 still

I like him but I want to see where he lands before I start suggesting people draft him early......

Ilov80s said:
Great workout but the numbers that matter the most are not in his favor 
what numbers are those? his % of ND passing game is plenty good.

Milkman said:
I like him but I want to see where he lands before I start suggesting people draft him early...…
he will be post 1.10 pick in dynasty rookie drafts depending on draft pedigree and landing spot. worth the gamble IMO. 

what numbers are those? his % of ND passing game is plenty good.
His % of ND offense was average and his breakout age was abysmal. While I love his workout numbers, they also raise a big red flag. How could someone that big, fast, strong, quick and explosive not have been better and better at a younger age?

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein compared Notre Dame WR Miles Boykin to Lions WR Kenny Golladay.

Like Golladay, Zierlein notes Boykin (6'4/220) has high upside but needs to improve in a few areas in order to maximize his potential. He explains that Boykin will "have to learn how to counter press, improve his routes and become more competitive when the ball is in the air." After annihilating the combine with a 99.9th percentile athletic composite score, Boykin's draft stock is sitting on the cusp of the 1st round.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 10, 2019, 11:36 AM

His production was mediocre across the board. With 59/872/8 in 13 games he failed to crack the top 50 in receptions, or receiving yards, or receiving TDs, despite playing on a good passing offense (with Ian Book as his QB for 9 games). If you look at alternate stats like market share the story is similar - he was around 50th in TDs and worse at yardage.

And that was in his one good season, as a 22-year-old in his 4th year at Notre Dame. Prior to this year he had a grand total of 334 yards over his first 3 years (one of which was a redshirt year).

One thing you might hope for from an athletic WR is that he'll be a deep threat. Boykin had only 7 25+ yard receptions this year, 1 40+ yard reception, and 9.1 yards per target, all below average. (If we limit it to his 9 games with Book he had 5 25+ yard receptions and 1 40+ yard reception, still below average.)

Another thing you might hope for from an athletic WR is that he'll be dangerous with the ball in his hands. But he was way below average in yards after the catch and didn't get used as a returner or runner.

So he looks to me like a rd 3+ flier in fantasy drafts, not a borderline 1st/2nd rounder. He's more like Moritz Boehringer, Jeff Janis, Chris Conley, and Charles Johnson than Julio Jones.

The Athletic's Dane Brugler compares Notre Dame WR Miles Boykin to Donte Moncrief.

Moncrief has had his moments, but he's never been more than a low-end starter in the NFL. Boykin (6'4/220) will likely receive starts in the NFL after testing like a 99th percentile athlete in the broad jump, which has historically been the most important NFL Scouting Combine measure for receivers who weigh over 215 pounds. Boykin's ceiling is obviously high with his athleticism, but Brugler and most other draft analysts expect him to come off the board on Day 2.

SOURCE: Dane Brugler on Twitter

Mar 27, 2019, 8:30 AM

Watching his tape he plays to soft. I'm not as confident he'll be successful in the NFL anymore. 

According to Jared Tokarz, Notre Dame WR Miles Boykin is scheduled to visit with the Patriots April 7.

Boykin (6'4/220) had a very good NFL Scouting Combine from an athletic testing standpoint, as he tested in the 99.9th percentile and ran the 40 in 4.41 seconds. Boykin is ranked eighth among wide receivers in this year's draft by ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr., and there's a chance that he could be taken late in the first round. New England currently holds the final pick in the first round, and wide receiver is viewed as a position of need for the Super Bowl champions.

SOURCE: Jared Tokarz on Twitter

Mar 28, 2019, 1:29 PM

The Athletic's Dane Brugler writes that the 2019 wide receiver group will "likely to produce a dozen picks in the top 100."

The 2019 wide receiver class doesn't have a no-brainer top-15 player, but it's considered to be one of the deepest classes in recent memory. One of those receivers expected to go within the first 100 picks is Notre Dame WR Miles Boykin (6'4/220), who is one of the best athletes in the entire draft. Boykin has been compared Donte Moncrief and Kenny Golladay.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 3, 2019, 11:41 AM

ND fan here. You have to put Boykin against his QBs in college too. 

Wimbush couldn’t complete a pass, hence his benching and transfer and the result of the ND WR production during his tenure as the starter: good QB running stats and random WR/TE production. 

Enter Book for 9 games last year. Book has very average arm strength and is weak throwing deep and over the middle. 

I like Boykin but what stood out for me from the combine was his speed. I never saw it watching him play at ND but that could again be because his QBs could never really get him the ball in stride. He did do well at the battle for the ball moments and I think that’ll serve him well at the next level. 

He’s not likely to be the WR1 for a team but that essential solid WR2 if he hits his potential. I’d draft him with hopes he makes my WR3 but potential to be my WR2. 

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller compared Notre Dame WR Miles Boykin to Philadelphia Eagles WR Alshon Jeffery.

"The acrobatic body movements to make circus-style catches are evident in almost every game," Miller writes. While Boykin's big combine showing turned heads earlier this spring, the analyst cautions that that athleticism and explosiveness evident in Indy does not show up on tape. What does show up on tape? A player who "struggles in and out of breaks." Boykin does have a nice ability to make catches in traffic and very strong hands, but the general view of his combine testing is that it just doesn't line up with the player you see on film. Miller grades Boykin as a second-rounder, but that would be a very, very high actual draft slot for the wideout.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Apr 4, 2019, 4:14 PM

Yeah good year to not be in the top 5 im thinking....people will take rbs in the top5...i got 4 dynos...sitting at 1.3 1.6 1.10 and 1.12....should be good wrs late in round1 still
I am at 1.07 and really want to drop down and acquire picks in the 2nd and early 3rd rds.  But I have no idea what is fair return for 1.07.  I guess we'll see, likely will be a draft day trade, so I am hoping Fant or Hockerson is there at 7 and someone really wants a TE.

I am at 1.07 and really want to drop down and acquire picks in the 2nd and early 3rd rds.  But I have no idea what is fair return for 1.07.  I guess we'll see, likely will be a draft day trade, so I am hoping Fant or Hockerson is there at 7 and someone really wants a TE.
I can almost guarantee you that will happen. 

ND fan here. You have to put Boykin against his QBs in college too. 

Wimbush couldn’t complete a pass, hence his benching and transfer and the result of the ND WR production during his tenure as the starter: good QB running stats and random WR/TE production. 

Enter Book for 9 games last year. Book has very average arm strength and is weak throwing deep and over the middle. 

I like Boykin but what stood out for me from the combine was his speed. I never saw it watching him play at ND but that could again be because his QBs could never really get him the ball in stride. He did do well at the battle for the ball moments and I think that’ll serve him well at the next level. 

He’s not likely to be the WR1 for a team but that essential solid WR2 if he hits his potential. I’d draft him with hopes he makes my WR3 but potential to be my WR2. 
He had Kizer, Wimbush, Book and Zaire in 3 years at ND, and they always had a running attack, Prosise, J Adams, Dex Williams.  Kizer was the best but that was when he barely played and they had Will Fuller and St Brown doing most of the damage.  One might say he hasnt reached his potential yet.  If he goes to the Saints or Patriots, yeah, sign me up, if the Bears or Ravens draft him, maybe not so much.  

Draft Wire's Luke Easterling lists Notre Dame WR Miles Boykin as a potential "tall" receiver that the New York Giants could target in the draft.

Boykin saw his draft stock improve considerably after an outstanding NFL Scouting Combine, but as Easterling notes, he has gone somewhat under-the-radar over the past few weeks. "His tape is off the charts with leaping grabs and dominance over defensive backs," writes Easterling. "Boykin also has the speed to separate get downfield." There are some things that need to be ironed out here as Easterling notes, but Boykin (6'4/220) offers big upside at a position the Giants need to address.

SOURCE: Draft Wire

Apr 5, 2019, 5:46 PM

Notre Dame WR Miles Boykin and Vanderbilt CB Joejuan Williams visited the Houston Texans.

Boykin (6'4/220) had one of the biggest jumps in draft stock after the NFL Scouting Combine, and he's now expected to draw a Day 2 or early Day 3 selection. At 220 pounds, Boykin offers size, speed (4.41-second 40-yard dash), and leaping ability (43.5-inch vertical). DeAndre Hopkins, Will Fuller, and Boykin would combine to be one of the most dangerous wide receiver combinations in the league, but there's no reason to believe the Texans are the favorites to land the Notre Dame receiver.

SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

Apr 8, 2019, 7:52 PM

It may take some NFL coaching and seasoning for him to reach his full potential...but there is no denying the athletic ability.

Landed him at 3.12 in a recent draft...and I'm a (relatively) patient guy.  :)

Users who are viewing this thread