What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Miles Boykin - official thread - WR - Notre Dame (1 Viewer)

Fantasy Labs' Adam Levitan notes that Notre Dame's Miles Boykin met 7-of-7 wide receiver minimum thresholds for fantasy football success.

If you've paid attention at all, this shouldn't surprise you. Boykin (6'4/220) crushed the NFL Scouting Combine and finished as a 99th percentile athlete. His speed and leaping ability for a 220-pounder is rare, but it's at least a little concerning that Boykin wasn't overly productive at Notre Dame. Quarterback play was a reason for that, however, and it would be a tad surprising if Boykin wasn't a Day 2 pick.

SOURCE: DK Playbook

Apr 14, 2019, 11:07 AM

I'm pretty confident that Boykin will be an NFL bust. He's very athletic, but he's not a great football player, that's why he wasn't really being talked about until the combine. He might have a handful of good games in his career, but you won't be able to predict them, and he won't finish a season in the top 36. 

NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah anticipates Notre Dame WR Miles Boykin going in Round 2.

That noise you are hearing is Josh Norris screaming with excitement. Boykin (6'4/220) got Norris' attention after an incredible performance at the NFL Scouting Combine, and it was quite clear that Boykin had juice at Notre Dame whenever he had adequate quarterback play. Unfortunately, that wasn't too often. Otherwise, Boykin would have been on everyone's radar earlier in the process. A second-round selection would be a huge boost for Boykin's NFL projection as it was presumed that he was near the Round 3/4 borderline.

SOURCE: Andrew Howard on Twitter

Apr 18, 2019, 5:11 PM

Ravens traded up with the Vikings to select Notre Dame WR Miles Boykin with the No. 93 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Boykin (6’4/220) turned pro after a breakout redshirt junior year (59/872/8), averaging 14.8 yards per catch and leading the Irish in all receiving categories. His stock soared in Indy, blazing 4.42 with absurd vertical (43 ½") and broad (11’8") jumps, clocking the fastest three-cone time (6.77) of all wide receivers invited, and registering one of the highest SPARQ scores in Combine history. Gifted but underdeveloped with only one year of meaningful production, Boykin falls on the Devin Funchess-Vincent Jackson spectrum as a big-bodied, high-ceiling wideout prospect whose college stats were adversely affected by sub-par quarterback play.

Apr 26, 2019, 9:05 PM

His measurables don't match his on field play.  With his numbers he should be poppin, but instead is all you see is a slow wr with slow in/out of breaks=bust.

In college he doesn't show his speed on the field, but he does have good hands, and that can't be taught, and he does high point the ball and fight for contested throws.  His leaping ability is evident on tape.

He looks to me like a future possession and goal line receiver; a potential WR2.  In a low volume passing offense like BA has right now, he doesn't have much value. But if the offense changes, he could have value in the future.

One positive to the landing spot is that there is almost no competition and he has a good chance to be starting by week 1.  We will know pretty quickly whether he is worth keeping.

Ravens third-round WR Miles Boykin is out with a hamstring injury.

Boykin has not been able to participate in OTAs because of the injury. All reports suggest the issue is minor, but Boykin is missing quality reps. Even so, he has the talent to quickly climb Baltimore's unsettled depth chart.

SOURCE: Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter

May 30, 2019, 12:25 PM ET

Ravens third-round WR Miles Boykin (hamstring) could be cleared for mandatory minicamp.

Boykin hasn't participated in OTAs but is getting close to returning. His hamstring injury was never considered serious. Boykin should push for a top-three role when healthy.

SOURCE: Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter

Jun 1, 2019, 10:11 AM ET

Multiple Ravens beat writers note third-round WR Miles Boykin has been the most impressive receiver at training camp.

ESPN's Jamison Hensley said Boykin has been "fantastic" early in camp, and The Athletic's Jeff Zrebiec notes Boykin has been the "most productive and impressive receiver." First-rounder Marquise Brown (foot) remains sidelined, so there really isn't that high of a bar to clear here when Boykin is practicing with WRs like Seth Roberts, Willie Snead, and Michael Floyd. But it's still notable. Boykin starred in shorts and a t-shirt at the Combine and has always dripped with special traits. Hopefully he can continue it when pads come on this preseason.

SOURCE: Jamison Hensley on Twitter

Jul 28, 2019, 12:02 PM ET

Jeff Zrebiec @jeffzrebiec

Willie Snead said Ravens third-round rookie WR Miles Boykin reminds him of a former Saints teammate. "Dude, I tell him every day, 'you look like Michael Thomas, man.' He's going to be a huge part of our offense."

When I hear camp buzz about rookies I tend to file it away in the 'interesting but not compelling' file. But when the buzz is repeated by different members of the team and beat writers over a period of time, I start to take notice.  There is opportunity in BA with no proven star at the WR position.  This will be a situation to monitor during pre-season games.

I keep reading a lot of buzz he has my attention:

“Rookie receiver Miles Boykin provided the play of the day when he beat Marlon Humphrey’s press coverage from the slot and caught a perfectly placed back shoulder throw from Lamar Jackson deep downfield. Boykin also caught an intermediate crossing route in stride that he could have taken to the house and corralled another pass that Jimmy Smith tipped in the back on the end zone, but could not quite stay in bounds.”

Tex

I'm pretty confident that Boykin will be an NFL bust. He's very athletic, but he's not a great football player, that's why he wasn't really being talked about until the combine. He might have a handful of good games in his career, but you won't be able to predict them, and he won't finish a season in the top 36. 
This could end up being a horrible take.  The truth is we dont really know what he is capable of.  He was a late bloomer and only played with a QB who could hit a target for about 10 games in his college career.  Of course, now he is playing with another QB who cant hit a target.  I still think the definitive statement about never finishing top 36 is a bit much.  

This could end up being a horrible take.  The truth is we dont really know what he is capable of.  He was a late bloomer and only played with a QB who could hit a target for about 10 games in his college career.  Of course, now he is playing with another QB who cant hit a target.  I still think the definitive statement about never finishing top 36 is a bit much.  
It might be, he could be the outlier. He's getting raved about right now, but that's with Marquise Brown not on the field. It's possible that he was just underdeveloped at Notre Dame, but I don't fully buy all the current hype. When he finishes top 36, I'll come back and eat crow. 

That said, I do think he'll have upside weeks where he could be useful in daily formats or as a bye week fill in, but I just don't think he has a high ceiling with Jackson at QB. 

steelers1080 said:
It might be, he could be the outlier. He's getting raved about right now, but that's with Marquise Brown not on the field. It's possible that he was just underdeveloped at Notre Dame, but I don't fully buy all the current hype. When he finishes top 36, I'll come back and eat crow. 

That said, I do think he'll have upside weeks where he could be useful in daily formats or as a bye week fill in, but I just don't think he has a high ceiling with Jackson at QB. 
You could be right, but we don't really know how good Jackson might become and there are a ton of targets available since right now there isn't one receiver who is a sure fire target magnet.  I would be surprised if he becomes anything more than a WR2 but the claim that he is likely to never finish as a WR3 seems like hyperbole.  I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in the top 36 this year although that certainly isn't likely given the QB and given that he is a rookie.

Preseason hype is hype so you have to take it with a grain of salt, but I would rather be hearing this than not hearing it. It's a good sign. Now let's see how he does next week in a game against NFL competition that isn't his own team.

Its been discussed a lot, but the combine numbers were insane.  You dont see a guy fill out this much space on the graph very often at all, unless you are looking at Calvin Johnson's profile...

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/miles-boykin

Its a good coaching staff in Baltimore and should by all means be an exciting and innovative offense.  I think he is a tremendous upside pick if you can get him in the 3rd round.  If Lamar Jackson flames out, they will find another quarterback.  Its dynasty.

Its been discussed a lot, but the combine numbers were insane.  You dont see a guy fill out this much space on the graph very often at all, unless you are looking at Calvin Johnson's profile...

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/miles-boykin

Its a good coaching staff in Baltimore and should by all means be an exciting and innovative offense.  I think he is a tremendous upside pick if you can get him in the 3rd round.  If Lamar Jackson flames out, they will find another quarterback.  Its dynasty.
Agreed. Check out his long reception from the last game. He’s really fluid for a big guy. Far from a finished product but he flashed for sure and has been buzzing all camp. Well worth a 3rd.

I really like what I saw from him in that first preseason game in terms of being able to get separation and also how he used his size to fight for a first down and the TD he caught that was called back because of offensive line holding.

he went at 3.05 in my last rookie draft of the year, I tried like hell to move up from 3.09 and get him....no avail.....

Managed to get him in 1 out of my 4 dynos....heck in one someone took him at pick 1.11.....

I like his upside, and his willingness to block will keep him on the field, I think Baltimore is going to go with some bizarre-o 3 TE offense and limit Lamars passing though. so patience maybe required.

Miles Boykin caught 1-of-2 targets for 44 yards in the Ravens' third preseason game Thursday.

Lamar Jackson sat this one out, but Boykin and first-rounder Marquise Brown got the starts with Trace McSorley under center. They figure to be the Ravens' big-play threats with Willie Snead and Mark Andrews on the inside. Boykin has been the Ravens' best receiver all offseason, according to anyone who has been at Ravens camp. He's consistently being selected in the last few rounds of drafts, so there's obviously some upside here if Jackson improves as a passer.

Aug 22, 2019, 10:01 PM ET

Zach Berman @ZBerm 

I don't cover the Ravens, but I'm buying Miles Boykin stock. Looked good at practice this week. Just had big play there. (Also was impressed by Justice Hill on Tues.)

Jamison Hensley @jamisonhensley

Just as you're seeing in this game in Philly, Ravens are going to rely on their rookie wide receivers this season. Baltimore is getting the ball in the hands of Hollywood Brown (2 catches for 12 yards) and Miles Boykin (one reception for 44 yards).

Jonas Shaffer @Jonas_Shaffer

Impressive play by the Ravens rookies: Trace McSorley hits Miles Boykin on a corner route, Boykin gets some serious YAC, and Justice Hill had a takeout block on the nearest pass rusher.

Doubt this guy makes it to 2.11 in my draft. Tempted to reach at 1.11 but probably won't do it. Had all the metrics at the combine and nothing but buzz all summer usually equals there is something there.

So Andrews, Boykin and Hollywood with a Lamar Jackson pass offense?  :bag: Id bet we are going to come up way short on two of them.
No doubt, not an inspiring offense to buy into but still someone I like when you get in the the 2.11 and beyond. Maybe the McSorley kid takes over after a linebacker crushes Lamar.

Right now I would bet that Boykin and Hollywood start for this team.  It is true that QB is not a great passer but long term I like the trio of Boykin, Hollywood and Andrews.  This is going to be a very good receiving corp.

So who would you invest a last round redraft flier on? Boykin, Marquis Brown, or someone like Preston Williams? Is there much difference between any of them at this point?

For redraft. Probably Adam Humphries
I have both Humphries and Boykin and I actually think Boykin has a higher ceiling. The QB, offense, and competition all work against Humphries. Boykin has no competition and an equally bad QB but he has star potential.  Hollywood showed PPR potential in week 3 but I worry about his health given how little he practiced all off season. 

I have both Humphries and Boykin and I actually think Boykin has a higher ceiling. The QB, offense, and competition all work against Humphries. Boykin has no competition and an equally bad QB but he has star potential.  Hollywood showed PPR potential in week 3 but I worry about his health given how little he practiced all off season. 
I like Boykin as a player better also but he's a rookie and yet to play against starting NFL defenses so I temper my expectations. Especially early on in the season.

I was down on Boykin and thought he'd never end the season as a WR2 or better, but I just traded him away in Dynasty, so now he's going to ball out.  Other players I traded away just prior to their breakouts include Chris Carson, Aaron Jones,  and Eric Ebron, and that's just the last 2 years. 

Miles Boykin caught a five-yard touchdown in the Ravens' Week 1 win over Miami.

It was his only target of the game. The Ravens had their way with the Dolphins secondary, but Boykin didn't have much of a role outside of his touchdown. Boykin looks to be no higher than the No. 3 option behind Marquise Brown and Mark Andrews.
It's interesting that he actually out snapped Brown 18-15.

Fansided: Irish in the NFL

It was his only target of the game, but it was also a demonstration of how he’ll be used moving forward and what is to come. Boykin is best suited as a possession receiver and red zone target in Baltimore’s offense. The presence of Marquise “Hollywood” Brown almost guarantees that Boykin will see one-on-one coverage when both are on the field.

Moving forward, look for Boykin to be leaned on more between the 20s against higher quality opponents.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread