What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Heineken - Zero Alcohol (1 Viewer)

This was like the hippy parents when I was growing up that served “chocolate” that was actually carob. Gross.

Designated drivers?  Alcoholics?  I guess anyone who wants to "fit in" without actually ingesting the alcohol content.  Non alcoholic beers have been around for a long time, so I guess there is some market for it.  I am surprised Heineken would want to bother trying to get involved in that space, but whatever.  They must feel like they can make a buck.

If it didn't have gluten I'd probably buy it. Haven't drank since last year. Holding a beer at a bar. That's probably what this stuff is for. Do you think they're marketing it now, a little bit of time has passed since all the new year's resolutions were made. Maybe they're trying to appeal to that market. Dudes who're trying to maintain their non-alcoholic resolutions yet still want to go out ##### hunting. Then once dudes get a taste of it Heiney will be in position to get them on the come back. I never loved the taste of Heineken though.

Maybe they're trying to appeal to that market. Dudes who're trying to maintain their non-alcoholic resolutions yet still want to go out ##### hunting. Then once dudes get a taste of it Heiney will be in position to get them on the come back.
Probably. What's the old AA phrase? Hang out in a barbershop long enough and you're bound to get a haircut.  

Last edited by a moderator:
wtf.  how is this an issue?  

Olestra boys - O'Doule's was introduced in the like the early 90s.  
One night, I saw a sad/funny thing. Guy was drinking NA beer. His girlfriend left for a bit. Walked out the door to do some shopping. Guy quickly orders and proceeds to down regular beer after regular beer. Looks out the window. Sees her coming back. Has the bartender stow the beer in the bar fridge and grabs the NA that he'd left on the bar. She sat down, none the wiser. He was hammered...

:lmao:

My understanding is that this “near beer” stuff really does help recovering alcoholics. 

Millenial news.  these guys don't acknowledge anything that happened before 2000.  
I understand this is around, what I’m saying is nobody I know drinks Heineken unless they have to and then only because it has alcohol.  Tastes horrible - so the idea of Heineken without alcohol just seems dumb.  Note, I’ve never even tried other non-alcohol beer so maybe it will top the rankings. 

Sometimes the ritual/habit is as important as the alcohol or drug. Might make it easier to quit the harder stuff?

As people have mentioned above it still gives a person the sense that he’s having a beer. It’s supposedly effective for alcoholics who do a lot of their drinking in public or social situations and they don’t want to lose that. So the person can go shoot darts or pool with a cold one in his hand like always. Admittedly I haven’t heard any actual study on this to determine its effectiveness but lots of people going through the treatment courts I’ve worked in will consume this stuff (and then test slightly positive for alcohol which get awkward). 

Sometimes the ritual/habit is as important as the alcohol or drug. Might make it easier to quit the harder stuff?
Yep. 

When my wife lost her weight she was on a strict diet for six months that included no alcohol. She’d still go out though and she’d order a soda water with a lemon in a cocktail or white whine glass. Had the look and feel of a drink and she claimed it made it easier. 🤷‍♂️

As people have mentioned above it still gives a person the sense that he’s having a beer. It’s supposedly effective for alcoholics who do a lot of their drinking in public or social situations and they don’t want to lose that. So the person can go shoot darts or pool with a cold one in his hand like always. Admittedly I haven’t heard any actual study on this to determine its effectiveness but lots of people going through the treatment courts I’ve worked in will consume this stuff (and then test slightly positive for alcohol which get awkward). 
Exactly. My brother has been sober about a year now and does this. He even buys it for home so he can have a “beer” and watch a game. Seems to be working great for him, but admittedly he’s early in his journey.

Why would it be awkward when they test positive for alcohol? Thats what happens when you consume alcohol. 

Yep. 

When my wife lost her weight she was on a strict diet for six months that included no alcohol. She’d still go out though and she’d order a soda water with a lemon in a cocktail or white whine glass. Had the look and feel of a drink and she claimed it made it easier. 🤷‍♂️
Great idea.  I sometimes order cranberry juice and lime when I’m the designated driver for friends.  It looks like I’m drinking alcohol, but I’m not.  

I was in Germany one time and a colleague came to take us for dinner (actually ended up just coming to our hotel but I guess management instisted someone had to take us to dinner)

anyway co-worker and I probably had 5-6 beers with dinner and this guy was keeping up pretty well

finally at the end of the night the waitress asks if we want some schnapps and he declines because he’s driving.  We’re both kind of puzzled and ask if that will really make a difference after all the beers and that’s when he informs us he’d been drinking the alcohol free beers

If it didn't have gluten I'd probably buy it. Haven't drank since last year. Holding a beer at a bar. That's probably what this stuff is for. Do you think they're marketing it now, a little bit of time has passed since all the new year's resolutions were made. Maybe they're trying to appeal to that market. Dudes who're trying to maintain their non-alcoholic resolutions yet still want to go out ##### hunting. Then once dudes get a taste of it Heiney will be in position to get them on the come back. I never loved the taste of Heineken though.
Getting in position to "get them back" seems dark yet plausible.

Side note: it looks like I'm the only person here who actually likes Heineken. I also tried Heineken Light once, but it was awful.

Getting in position to "get them back" seems dark yet plausible.

Side note: it looks like I'm the only person here who actually likes Heineken. I also tried Heineken Light once, but it was awful.
I cant even taste heiney because of the smell. Get it within 6 inches of my nose and i just chicken out and can't go through with it. 

Seems heineken might be opening itself up to some issues here. 

Advertising as 0.0 but still containing up to .05% seems odd. But i am guessing that amount must not actually register on tests. 

I had a friend who just couldn't  handle drinking. He would get sloppy drunk and then go to depressed mode or extremely happy mode.  One night he called me and asked if I could meet him at Red Robin. We sat at the bar and he told me he had had enough. He said he was going to kill himself and that he just bought a shotgun, which was in his car. Well I spend the better part of an hour drinking with him excusing myself every few minutes to go call anyone I could find in our group of friends to come help me. Red Robin kicks us out because he is so wasted. We get to the parking lot and I am trying to stall for time. I am doing all I can to keep him  with me and just as I am pretty much out of hope, a mall security guard, who is just going on shift, walks by his car and I say, "Sir, my friend has a gun and I need help." Then at the same moment, my friend's brother shows up. You could tell the security guard wanted none of this and just let my friend go with his brother.  The funny part is he told me he needed me to take the gun.  So we take a gun from one drunk guy to give to another drunk guy really wasn't a good application of logic on his part I must say. 

His family filed an involuntary commitment case and he went to detox for a bit and then a treatment facility.  When he came out, he said he felt ostracized by our group of friends because we all played pool and drank. No matter how much we told him it was okay, we didn't judge him, and to just come with us, he just felt weird being around us. Well he found NA beer and it really helped him get over that. We would play poker or go fishing and he would bring his N/A and he said it made him feel like one of the guys. So I can really see how this would help alcoholics.  

Just read a book about habits. Their definition of the habit loop was cue -> routine -> reward. A non-alcoholic Heineken fits perfectly into routine.

I'm straight and I taste hiney all the time. My old man used to say once you get past the smell you damn near got it licked. But once I got older I realized you need to let it marinate overnight.

AAABatteries said:
I understand this is around, what I’m saying is nobody I know drinks Heineken unless they have to and then only because it has alcohol.  Tastes horrible - so the idea of Heineken without alcohol just seems dumb.  Note, I’ve never even tried other non-alcohol beer so maybe it will top the rankings. 

parasaurolophus said:
I cant even taste heiney because of the smell. Get it within 6 inches of my nose and i just chicken out and can't go through with it. 
x2 -- never understood the love for Heineken as it has always tasted like crud and ALWAYS smelled skunky, whether out of the bottle, tap, keg, etc. Do people still consider it an upscale brand here in the US? Have no clue how people overseas think of it compared to other wide commercial brands out of Germany or EU in general (Carlsberg, Grolsch, etc.).

For the record, I've always thought non-alcoholic beer, decaffeinated coffee, etc. was a total waste of time. Might as well be drinking something good.

I don't like beer, but when I drink socially I opt for the lighter stuff that has the least amount of taste to it, like Corona Light, Heineken, Hite... 
It would be pointless for me to drink that nasty stuff and not even get a buzz.

Users who are viewing this thread