What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If you were invited to the White House for dinner with Trump, would you go? (1 Viewer)

If you were invited to the White House for dinner with Trump, would you go?

• Yes (and I do not support Trump)

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • No (and I do not support Trump)

Votes: 97 59.1%
  • Yes (and I support Trump)

Votes: 11 6.7%

• Total voters

gianmarco

Footballguy
Pretty straightforward.  Might be a chef prepared meal.  Might be fast food.  But, you get to meet and shake hands with Trump.

And to clarify, all expenses would be paid (airfare, hotel, etc.).

Last edited by a moderator:
No, not even if it were a once in a lifetime opportunity to meet the President.

My presence there would be a tacit approval of him and his policies and I wouldn't want to be known in future family lore as the one who attended dinner at Trump's request at the White House (particularly since I probably wouldn't be around to explain that I actually detested the man and was going just for the experience).

Absolutely.  I still respect the office.   And being in the White House at the invitation of the President of the United States would be pretty awesome.

I would even call him Mr President and be 100% respectful and all that too.  Sheesh.

Yup. I'd never again get a chance at full access to inside the White House, like past your basic tour areas. I wouldn't think twice about it.

No. For much the same reason as @squistion wrote. He's such an awful person with awful policies - I don't want to even give the appearance of supporting them.
Yup.  This. One day, someone would post a picture of you shaking his hand or in the same photo and people would associate you with his morals and ethics.  I've seen pictures of people with Harvey Weinstein and/or Kevin Spacey with the implication that the person with them support or knew about their crimes. Screw that.

I had an uncle who was an advance man (think travel agent or concierge) for Reagan, and he gave me a standing offer to come to DC and meet the President (I was 14-21 at the time).  I could never find the time and regret not doing it.  I hated Reagan's politics, but still respected him because he was a decent man.  Other then the position he holds, I see no redeeming feature of our current President that would compel me to shake his hand, and I cringe at the thought of displaying a photo of us in the Oval Office together. 

I had an uncle who was an advance man (think travel agent or concierge) for Reagan, and he gave me a standing offer to come to DC and meet the President (I was 14-21 at the time).  I could never find the time and regret not doing it.  I hated Reagan's politics, but still respected him because he was a decent man.  Other then the position he holds, I see no redeeming feature of our current President that would compel me to shake his hand, and I cringe at the thought of displaying a photo of us in the Oval Office together. 
Seeks like that's not the case. But he was a good actor, for a politician. 

When he was elected I definitely would have but his behavior over the last two years has made me really dislike the man.  

You think Trump has ever been in a fistfight in his entire life? 
No way! With the exception of the Apprentice, he doesn't even have the backbone to fire someone himself. His fear of confrontation is the very reason he refuses to accuse Putin of election tampering, or the Saudi Prince and Jung Un of murder. If he does that, they might react in a hostile way and that scares Trump to death. There is no way he's ever been in a fight.  

I would usually not pass up, and I can get along despite people's politics, but I think Trump would want more than that.  I can't imagine Trump being nice to anyone who is not a sycophant (ETA: or that he can't gain anything personally from).  I imagine dinner would mostly be Trump talking about himself, notice that I'm not lapping it up, and then it would be awkward until he left to go watch Fox News.

Last edited by a moderator:
gianmarco said:
Pretty straightforward.  Might be a chef prepared meal.  Might be fast food.  But, you get to meet and shake hands with Trump.

And to clarify, all expenses would be paid (airfare, hotel, etc.).
Can I go for the free meal and tour of the White House without having to dine with / spend time with / otherwise interact with Trump?

Serious answer is - NO.

I do not have an overriding interest in seeing the White House - so the only reason to accept an invitation is because I wanted to meet the man.  I don't want to meet Trump.  I don't want to meet Melania.  There is nothing about Trump that suggests I would want to socialize with him in any fashion.  He is an ####### - and I have no desire to have dinner with #######s - no matter the position they hold in government.

If the president, any president, invites me to dinner at the White House I would go. Period. End of story.

In theory I can respect those who say "No" based on the President's politics. In practice I think a lot of people saying "No" are hypocrites. We're certainly seeing it here in Boston where Patriots/Red Sox who don't want to go to the White House are being widely praised. Usually by the very same people who killed Tim Thomas (Bruins goalie) for not going to the White House when Obama was president.

If the president, any president, invites me to dinner at the White House I would go. Period. End of story.

In theory I can respect those who say "No" based on the President's politics. In practice I think a lot of people saying "No" are hypocrites. We're certainly seeing it here in Boston where Patriots/Red Sox who don't want to go to the White House are being widely praised. Usually by the very same people who killed Tim Thomas (Bruins goalie) for not going to the White House when Obama was president.
HUGE difference

It has very little to do with politics.

He is an #######.  I have no interest in spending time with #######s - you fine people notwithstanding.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
It has very little to do with politics.

He is an #######.  I have no interest in spending time with #######s - you fine people notwithstanding.
I can think of plenty people who held the office that were not particularly nice or good people. If that's the standard you want to use then fine. But I think there's more than a little disingenuousness to say it has little to do with politics.

I would have dinner with George Bush.  I am quite certain I disagree with most of his politics - but I could enjoy dinner with the man.

I would certainly have dinner with Obama.

I would say I would probably not have dinner with the Clintons - either one.  I met President Clinton at a small campaign function in 1992 - I was mesmerized by his personality then - the shine has worn off over the years.

I would have dinner with Carter.

I can think of plenty people who held the office that were not particularly nice or good people. If that's the standard you want to use then fine. But I think there's more than a little disingenuousness to say it has little to do with politics.
Why do you say that?  Do we know each other?

I’d definitely go and I’d pretend to like him just to be in the WH. There’s lots of other things in DC I haven’t seen yet too once the visit is over. 

Users who are viewing this thread