What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official FBG Politics Forum Census*** (1 Viewer)

Sometimes I wonder about this anonymity thing. It works for me, I'll pop off about almost anything, even if my views are in the distinct minority. But you have numerous posters here who claim that they won't say unpopular things here because of criticism. Take it one step further, we have an acknowledged syndrome of Trump voters lying to pollsters about their intentions to vote for him. That's so bizarre that I still can't get my head wrapped around the idea two years later. 
I think it makes people more honest in sharing their thoughts.

But I also think people are human. It might not be their real name, but if someone is hurtful to you, the name you're using doesn't really matter that much. 

For the Trump voters lying, do you mean people that voted for Trump but said they did not? 

Yes. The evidence is largely anecdotal but it's generally not denied, either.
Thanks. I absolutely believe that. In fact, I'd almost expect people who voted or who planned to vote for Trump to deny it. Much of it is because of some of the things Jon talks about here.  I've said it before, if I were a Trump supporter, I wouldn't post on our forum. Just not worth the hassle. And that bums me out. 

Thanks. I absolutely believe that. In fact, I'd almost expect people who voted or who planned to vote for Trump to deny it. Much of it is because of some of the things Jon talks about here.  I've said it before, if I were a Trump supporter, I wouldn't post on our forum. Just not worth the hassle. And that bums me out. 
What hassle? Seriously I don’t get that. A bunch of people you don’t know are going to disagree with you on an Internet board? So what? 

What hassle? Seriously I don’t get that. A bunch of people you don’t know are going to disagree with you on an Internet board? So what? 
For most people, they don't want to fight the current that much. Jon's not normal. He'll take the snark or the "suffer fools" thing and keep going. Most people would leave. 

For most people, they don't want to fight the current that much. Jon's not normal. He'll take the snark or the "suffer fools" thing and keep going. Most people would leave. 
He likes playing victim. I like jon but I don’t find that aspect of his to be admirable. 

But getting back to your point- prior to Trump, we had a pretty even mix here of conservatives and liberals. Now we don’t. So if there truly is a “current” as you say, why is that?

I may get in trouble for writing this; it’s not trolling: I believe the main reason that this forum has become so anti-Trump is because so many of Trump’s statements and ideas are rotten. They do not deserve the consideration or respect that traditional conservative ideas do. The main reason that there aren’t that many Trump supporters here isn’t because they don’t want to be surrounded and isolated; it’s because they don’t want to have to defend ideas that can’t really be defended on a rational basis. 

Deny it to pollsters? A poll taker from Quinnipiac isn't going to deride a respondent for answering the question honestly.

He likes playing victim. I like jon but I don’t find that aspect of his to be admirable. 

But getting back to your point- prior to Trump, we had a pretty even mix here of conservatives and liberals. Now we don’t. So if there truly is a “current” as you say, why is that?

I may get in trouble for writing this; it’s not trolling: I believe the main reason that this forum has become so anti-Trump is because so many of Trump’s statements and ideas are rotten. They do not deserve the consideration or respect that traditional conservative ideas do. The main reason that there aren’t that many Trump supporters here isn’t because they don’t want to be surrounded and isolated; it’s because they don’t want to have to defend ideas that can’t really be defended on a rational basis. 
I understand that sentiment.

I think it's more that posters don't want the hassle of taking a position on something that aligns anywhere close with Trump's (like lowering taxes for instance) and dealing with the generalizations from people who are strongly Anti-Trump in every way that they too are a racist / misogynist / buffoon.  I've done this myself. It's just easier not to deal with it. 

Deny it to pollsters? A poll taker from Quinnipiac isn't going to deride a respondent for answering the question honestly.
For sure. It's a human nature thing. And certainly, the poster isn't going to deride anyone. It's just saying it to another human.

I have a friend in the UK that told me about this with Brexit. They said the polls were wildly inaccurate as the popular opinion was anyone for Brexit was racist. There was no nuance. He said he knew plenty of people who were for it but would never admit it to the public. And he wasn't surprised at all when the vote went like it did.

He told me he wouldn't be at all surprised to see Trump win the election for the same reason. 

It has nothing to do with wanting to play the victim.  I want respectful intelligent discussions.  Certainly some cleaver humor is always good too, when there is no hatred behind it.  But when most discussion becomes personal after a couple posts, it is not repectful.  It is not intelligent.  And it is certainly not humorous.  

For sure. It's a human nature thing. And certainly, the poster isn't going to deride anyone. It's just saying it to another human.

I have a friend in the UK that told me about this with Brexit. They said the polls were wildly inaccurate as the popular opinion was anyone for Brexit was racist. There was no nuance. He said he knew plenty of people who were for it but would never admit it to the public. And he wasn't surprised at all when the vote went like it did.

He told me he wouldn't be at all surprised to see Trump win the election for the same reason. 
This hurts my brain. Won't admit a willingness to vote for Trump to a pollster

I understand that sentiment.

I think it's more that posters don't want the hassle of taking a position on something that aligns anywhere close with Trump's (like lowering taxes for instance) and dealing with the generalizations from people who are strongly Anti-Trump in every way that they too are a racist / misogynist / buffoon.  I've done this myself. It's just easier not to deal with it. 
You may be right again but I can only point out that prior to Trump we had lots of discussions and debates in this forum about taxes, about immigration, about climate change, about any issue that is currently relevant, and the conversation was never one sided. 

You may be right again but I can only point out that prior to Trump we had lots of discussions and debates in this forum about taxes, about immigration, about climate change, about any issue that is currently relevant, and the conversation was never one sided. 
Correct. That was then.

But now people arguing on the other side of anything Trump might be for have the option of playing the "You and your racist / misogynist president are for this, what could go wrong?" card. So I think you get what we have here now. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. The evidence is largely anecdotal but it's generally not denied, either.
Cowboysfan8 denies it all the time, but yet he accused of lying about not voting for Trump.  It is quite possible and in fact quite probable for those who hold conservative positions and are more highly educated (such as what is typically found in this forum) to not support Trump.  But this position is not an accepted reality in this forum.  We had at least two posters in the last two days say they are intimidated to post here.    

That's about what I would have expected.

For a couple of reasons.

#1. Anonymity is a huge factor. In lots of ways. In this instance, it's a factor in being honest. I'm not sure of the methodology of the Pew Polls but I'd guess there is less (at least perceived) anonymity. 

#2. Overall, I think we've done a pretty fair job of trying to be cool to each other and encourage different voices. I am bummed I haven't been able to do it with politics. While I don't think it's as bad as jon thinks but it's not good either. But we can get better there. 

I know "safe places" are made fun of, but the reality is I think it's a good thing to have a forum where people can discuss ideas and be heard. I've always tried to encourage a spectrum of ideas.

I'm sure there's stuff to unpack here with me as (hopefully) a pretty open Christian hosting a board that's for whatever reason built a community that's 40+% self-identified as Athiests. I think most all of what we'd unpack there is good. 

Thanks for doing this MT. 
Agree. The religious data was as I expected and we're better at religious discussions than political discussions. I miss some of the religious discussions we used to have.

@Maurile Tremblay Can you clean up the state data and show some charts for that? Maybe do it at a region level rather than state level (since 145 responses won't be that interesting across 50 states)?

It has nothing to do with wanting to play the victim.  I want respectful intelligent discussions.  Certainly some cleaver humor is always good too, when there is no hatred behind it.  But when most discussion becomes personal after a couple posts, it is not repectful.  It is not intelligent.  And it is certainly not humorous.  
I don’t want to belabor this, but the way you often enter discussions is not designed to get respectful intelligent feedback. You make assertions that you know will anger people; when questioned about them your responses are often curt and sometimes rude, and when the insults inevitably come you immediately drop all discussion of the issue at hand to focus on them. The discussion then changes to: “what did jon mx mean when he said...” and this can last for several pages which then become pretty unreadable to most people, until finally you are suspended or Joe Bryant politely asks you to stop. 

Its become too much of a pattern not to think it’s at least partly deliberate. 

I don’t want to belabor this, but the way you often enter discussions is not designed to get respectful intelligent feedback. You make assertions that you know will anger people; when questioned about them your responses are often curt and sometimes rude, and when the insults inevitably come you immediately drop all discussion of the issue at hand to focus on them. The discussion then changes to: “what did jon mx mean when he said...” and this can last for several pages which then become pretty unreadable to most people, until finally you are suspended or Joe Bryant politely asks you to stop. 

Agreed. Let's not belabor this. @jon_mx you have a ton of control on this. Be cooler and you will find people will be cooler. Thanks. 

Simply disagreeing with someone is not being disrespectful, nor is it a personal attack. And if you take controversial positions that you know will antagonize a certain percentage of posters here, you shouldn't complain and play the victim card when people respond as expected.

Just my :2cents:

I'm sure there's stuff to unpack here with me as (hopefully) a pretty open Christian hosting a board that's for whatever reason built a community that's 40+% self-identified as Athiests. I think most all of what we'd unpack there is good. 
Do you think maybe it has something to do with the nature of this hobby? To succeed at fantasy sports you have to make decisions based on logic and not faith. 

I am not an atheist (I was raised Catholic), and I know I have made decisions based more on faith than logic. If two players were close in talent and one of the players was from my favorite NFL team/hometown/alma mater, I have sometimes used that as a determining factor, whereas an atheist would not approach the situation the same way.

When I go through your Weekly Matchups and see that my #1 RB is listed under "Tough Matchup", I still try to have faith that he will have a good game despite what logic might say. 

That is just not true.  When I take a position like in the Kavanaugh thread taking issue with Ford's allegation, it is not designed to anger people.  When I take positions that right-wing extremism is overblown by the left/media coverage, it is not designed to anger people.  They did, because people are emotionally tied to those issues.  The result is numerous reports to mods and numerous personal accusations, which then leads to escalation  But it is really just a different perspective.  

Do you think maybe it has something to do with the nature of this hobby? To succeed at fantasy sports you have to make decisions based on logic and not faith. 

I am not an atheist (I was raised Catholic), and I know I have made decisions based more on faith than logic. If two players were close in talent and one of the players was from my favorite NFL team/hometown/alma mater, I have sometimes used that as a determining factor, whereas an atheist would not approach the situation the same way.

When I go through your Weekly Matchups and see that my #1 RB is listed under "Tough Matchup", I still try to have faith that he will have a good game despite what logic might say. 
Thanks. That's an interesting idea. I don't really know why it's this way. My gut would say it's less about me or Fantasy Football and it's more an indication of where people just are. 

Agreed. Let's not belabor this. @jon_mx you have a ton of control on this. Be cooler and you will find people will be cooler. Thanks. 
I disagree.  When I make an opinion and then I have eight people jump my case with personal comments directed at me,  it is not easy to stay cool.  IMHO, the best thing you could do is clamp down on making discussions personal.  It would make this forum much more welcoming to conservative posters.

I disagree.  When I make an opinion and then I have eight people jump my case with personal comments directed at me,  it is not easy to stay cool.  IMHO, the best thing you could do is clamp down on making discussions personal.  It would make this forum much more welcoming to conservative posters.
I didn't say it was easy. I said you had a ton of control on this. 

This hurts my brain. Won't admit a willingness to vote for Trump to a pollster
People naturally want to be thought well of, even by pollsters they’ll never interact with again. That’s how our brains are designed.

I’d go farther and say that, unbeknownst to ourselves, most of our religious and political views are largey shaped subconsciously by wanting to be thought well of by others. We fool ourselves into thinking that we choose our political beliefs rationally. We are extraordinarily good at fooling ourselves that way.

See the book: The Elephant in the Brain.

Sometimes I wonder about this anonymity thing. It works for me, I'll pop off about almost anything, even if my views are in the distinct minority. But you have numerous posters here who claim that they won't say unpopular things here because of criticism. Take it one step further, we have an acknowledged syndrome of Trump voters lying to pollsters about their intentions to vote for him. That's so bizarre that I still can't get my head wrapped around the idea two years later. 
A very intelligent guy I know that voted for Trump told me he always lied to pollsters before the election and said he was voting for Hillary.  His reason was to get the left over confident that Hillary was going to win so that they wouldn't bother going to vote. 

A very intelligent guy I know that voted for Trump told me he always lied to pollsters before the election and said he was voting for Hillary.  His reason was to get the left over confident that Hillary was going to win so that they wouldn't bother going to vote. 
Yes, sounds like a very intelligent guy indeed. :yes:

I am sure his lying to pollsters resulted in many Hillary voters not going to the polls and why she lost the popular vote...oh, wait...

Simply disagreeing with someone is not being disrespectful, nor is it a personal attack. And if you take controversial positions that you know will antagonize a certain percentage of posters here, you shouldn't complain and play the victim card when people respond as expected.

Just my :2cents:
Just because you are antagonized doesn't mean anyone was trying to antagonize you.  That's on you and is exactly what Jon is saying.  It doesn't matter what he posts.  There are a handful of you guys that are going to argue with him and attack no matter what he does.

Its odd - you see that claim a lot = "Trump supporters lie to pollsters" - but the data does not back up the claim.

Consensus national polls had Clinton winning by 3% in the end, and she, in fact, won the national vote by 2.7% - which is pretty close to perfect for a national poll.

Yes, sounds a very intelligent guy indeed. :yes:

I am sure his lying to pollsters resulted in many Hillary voters not going to the polls and why she lost the popular vote...oh, wait...
Electoral votes are all that matters so the popular vote is meaningless.

That's about what I would have expected.

For a couple of reasons.

#1. Anonymity is a huge factor. In lots of ways. In this instance, it's a factor in being honest. I'm not sure of the methodology of the Pew Polls but I'd guess there is less (at least perceived) anonymity. 

#2. Overall, I think we've done a pretty fair job of trying to be cool to each other and encourage different voices. I am bummed I haven't been able to do it with politics. While I don't think it's as bad as jon thinks but it's not good either. But we can get better there. 

I know "safe places" are made fun of, but the reality is I think it's a good thing to have a forum where people can discuss ideas and be heard. I've always tried to encourage a spectrum of ideas.

Thanks for doing this MT. 
You guys have IP info, anonymity is subjective.

It does not really match the demographics of the board. I would guess that the education and income levels are significantly higher here than they are from a random population of 95% white men. 

Edit: I guess the religious breakdown could also contribute to the disparity. 

People naturally want to be thought well of, even by pollsters they’ll never interact with again. That’s how our brains are designed.

I’d go farther and say that, unbeknownst to ourselves, most of our religious and political views are largey shaped subconsciously by wanting to be thought well of by others. We fool ourselves into thinking that we choose our political beliefs rationally. We are extraordinarily good at fooling ourselves that way.

See the book: The Elephant in the Brain.
My brain continues to ache. Why would someone planning to vote for Trump think that a pollster would not think well of them for wanting to do so? Why weren't Hilary voters likewise reluctant?

Maybe some Trump voters can weigh in on this. Were you guys ashamed to tell others that you were voting for Donald? Did you want to vote for a provocateur yet not be provocative personally?

I can't get past all this.

"Don't you judge me."

My brain continues to ache. Why would someone planning to vote for Trump think that a pollster would not think well of them for wanting to do so? Why weren't Hilary voters likewise reluctant?
I was going to bring that up, but it seemed too obvious.

Wouldn't the Trump voters who lied to pollsters be cancelled out by Hillary voters who also lied?

In theory it should be a wash, unless you want to contend that liberals/progressives/Democrats are more honest when dealing with pollsters in surveys or perhaps they just lie less often all the time than the other side.  :hophead:

Why would someone planning to vote for Trump think that a pollster would not think well of them for wanting to do so?
Many people think Trump voters are willing to overlook certain forms of bigotry and whatnot. Similar thoughts about Hillary voters are less common.

I don't have an issue with one's belief that something is overblown. I don't know their world experiences that frame that position. However,  when they use our absurd media machine and the way they cover something as evidence of why they believe it is being overblown, that's where i just assume it's trolling/fishing 

So I've held many unpopular opinions here and been attacked over them. You may recall a little dustup called the Iraq war. A few of us took the position against that war. We were called cowards,  traitors,  unpatriotic, idiots, and those were  some of the kinder attacks. We had facts and legitimate questions. We were vilified. What goes on around here now isn't even close and that's a good thing. And of course at the end of the day we were proven right.My own experience included being hounded into every thread I posted in and being attacked. For literally years. Even Joe was in a couple of those dogpiles but he wasnt really ugly about it. What did I do? Did I talk about victim hood? Management is against me woe is me? No. I realized I was taking a position that people didn't like and that in so doing I was opening myself up for what came. As much as I could I tried to handle it with a little grace but I'm human so sometimes I didn't. But I never let them silence me or force me off the board. Never went so far I got a timeout. I'm still here and the worst of them are almost all gone.

I won.

What are you going to do?

So I've held many unpopular opinions here and been attacked over them. You may recall a little dustup called the Iraq war. A few of us took the position against that war. We were called cowards,  traitors,  unpatriotic, idiots, and those were  some of the kinder attacks. We had facts and legitimate questions. We were vilified. What goes on around here now isn't even close and that's a good thing. And of course at the end of the day we were proven right.My own experience included being hounded into every thread I posted in and being attacked. For literally years. Even Joe was in a couple of those dogpiles but he wasnt really ugly about it. What did I do? Did I talk about victim hood? Management is against me woe is me? No. I realized I was taking a position that people didn't like and that in so doing I was opening myself up for what came. As much as I could I tried to handle it with a little grace but I'm human so sometimes I didn't. But I never let them silence me or force me off the board. Never went so far I got a timeout. I'm still here and the worst of them are almost all gone.

I won.

What are you going to do?
What did you win?

What did you win?
He won in having history verify that his unpopular position against this unnecessary war (based on fake news/reports of WMDs) was the correct one, despite widespread public popularity at the time (even Chris Matthews was gushing about Bush in his air force flight suit on the aircraft carrier and the MISSION ACCOMPLISHED sign. Plus MSNBC cancelled Phil Donahue's show because he was lone host speaking out against the war).

I was posting on the FFT board at the time and was vilified by being one of the few who wanted to wait on the preemptive strike on Iraq until the weapons inspector Hans Blix and his team had finished their search for WMDs. Turns out I was right, but it was little consolation in light the 4,000+ needless deaths of American soldiers in addition to over 100,000 innocent Iraqi citizens.

He won in having history verify that his unpopular position against this unnecessary war (based on fake news/reports of WMDs) was the correct one, despite widespread public popularity at the time (even Chris Matthews was gushing about Bush in his air force flight suit on the aircraft carrier and the MISSION ACCOMPLISHED sign. Plus MSNBC cancelled Phil Donahue's show because he was lone host speaking out against the war).

I was posting on the FFT board at the time and was vilified by being one of the few who wanted to wait on the preemptive strike on Iraq until the weapons inspector Hans Blix and his team had finished their search for WMDs. Turns out I was right, but it was little consolation in light the 4,000+ needless deaths of American soldiers in addition to over 100,000 innocent Iraqi citizens.
That's all well and good.  But, what did he win?  An internet debate years later?  Congrats, I guess?

For religious views, I also think "I opt out of the religious conversation" is a legit and unique answer worthy of a category.
I'm going to post similar surveys in the Free For All and in the Shark Pool. I appreciate everyone's comments about the poll questions. I'm going to mostly leave things the way I had them in this first poll, in part because I want the results to be easy to compare with each other. But I figured I'd comment on some of the specific feedback.

I think theist, atheist, and agnostic covers everything by the law of the excluded middle. Opting out of the discussion can fit into any of those, as applicable, or can be chosen by not answering that question.

the religious family background one needs a choice for none/atheist in addition to "other religion" 
I'm going to leave this one as it is because I suspect that everyone's family had a religious tradition if you go back enough generations.

i can't be the only retired guy and resent no "other" for political affiliation, but done
I goofed in not including "retired" as an option in the first poll. I'll add it to the others.

I'm going to leave the political affiliation question as it is because I don't want people to use "other" as a way to avoid having to decide which one best describes them if that seems moderately difficult.

@Maurile Tremblay It appears as though you can enter this more than once. Is there a way you will filter or remove duplicate entries?

Or you don't mind if someone wants to do it eg 10 times?
I could force people to log into their Google accounts in order to fill out the survey. That's the only way to prevent duplicate submissions, but I don't think it's worth it. I want it to be as easy as possible for people to take the survey. (Also, forcing people to sign in may make people question their ability to remain anonymous.)

I am pro immigration and strongly pro wall...where does that put me on the immigration question?
It's possible to favor more legal immigration while wanting to invest more resources into preventing illegal immigration (or, theoretically, vice versa), but I think I'm going to leave this question the way it is. If people want more leniency on one type and more restrictiveness on the other type, try to net out the total effect.

Feel like the race and religion questions should be check boxes rather than bubbles. 
Certainly there can be mixes, but to keep things simple, I'd prefer people to pick the one that they most closely identify with.

Users who are viewing this thread