What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Spring/Summer Severe Weather (2 Viewers)

12 miles of i95 now totally shutdown in North Florida. Huge backups at 5 am . Gonna be a nightmare for anyone trying to get into Florida for Memorial Day weekend.

Last night people said it took 2 hours to get by.

@Katie_Jeffries: 95 CLOSURE: Look at the HEAVY CONGESTION already building in on US-17.  Look at my prior thread tweet for two other alt routes to take. 
PLAN AHEAD AND LEAVE AS MUCH EXTRA TIME AS YOU CAN.
If you can, stay home.  
#KatiesCommuters https://twitter.com/Katie_Jeffries/status/1131863429596229633/photo/1

Per the local weather tv station the threat for basically all of PA is now 'slight'
With the late afternoon update, pretty much all of PA was downgraded to SLIGHT.  Of course, SLIGHT for PA is still high.  Last year, my location had 7 SLIGHT days and 2 ENHANCED days.  

The supercells did eventually fire up and move across most of PA.  And as expected either they missed you or you got hit pretty hard.  We had a cell pass just south of us that was tornado warned.  But we only got a little rain and thunder.  That line that moved through early in the day really zapped all of the energy out of the air, for the most part.  

With the late afternoon update, pretty much all of PA was downgraded to SLIGHT.  Of course, SLIGHT for PA is still high.  Last year, my location had 7 SLIGHT days and 2 ENHANCED days.  

The supercells did eventually fire up and move across most of PA.  And as expected either they missed you or you got hit pretty hard.  We had a cell pass just south of us that was tornado warned.  But we only got a little rain and thunder.  That line that moved through early in the day really zapped all of the energy out of the air, for the most part.  
Amazing how spotty it was.  We got a 10mins downpour and then nothing.  By 7:00 you could feel the humidity lifting with the cool air blowing in.

Checking in. Almost got in the shelter last night. Wife and I got home about 30 mins before rotation passed within two miles of us. Same storm that spun an F3 in El Reno. No damage at my place at all. Storms are weird. 

100 here today.  Supposed to cool down to 97 the next couple days. No rain in sight for next week. More wildfires are just a matter of time.

North Dayton just got clobbered by a tornado and radar indicates another is forming on the exact same path due to hit in a few minutes. 

Poor Dayton.  They were using snowplows to clear debris from streets.  Didn't hit too far from Xenia, which up until just recently, was were the widest tornado ever hit.  (I think the Moore, OK tornado beat it.)  This pattern is a pretty nasty pattern for storm development.  Same areas getting hit over and over.  The jet stream is down in the west and up in the east.  And high pressure in the Gulf is just feeding moisture into the mix.  IA and MO are big spots for the worst weather today, but PA is once again in the ENHANCED risk.  (Will probably be close tomorrow and Thursday, as well.)

For PA, it's the same set up as last Thursday with some subtle differences.  First, the front comes through early leaving us between the warm and cold front.  Afternoon into the evening will be the timeframe for our severe weather.  In order for us to get the worst stuff, we will need the early stuff to clear quickly.  The later storms will be supercells that will be similar to what Ohio saw last night.  That means tornadoes are possible, but not definite.  Right now it doesn't look like the bad stuff extends all the way to the PA/NJ border, but we'll see.  I think my location is right on the line of it all.

Those Dayton storms rolled through my area a couple hours earlier - there were ~10 tornadoes in NE IN based on what I saw online.  One went through about 10 miles S of me, but not sure if it touched down or how much damage.  TV guys were saying they expected things to be LESS severe as the storms moved east, due to the ground cooling off as it got later in the night. Welp... :sadbanana:

Last Thursday, as the day progressed, the models and soundings slowly pulled back on the threat for PA.  Not such good news today.  It's just the opposite;  with each new run, it seems to be looking bad.  My fear is that someplace in PA sees a similar event to what we saw in Dayton last night.  :(

I'm definitely starting to have anxiety for this evening.  While I love storms, tornadoes scare the hell out of me.  

• Sad
Reactions: Ned
Watching the Weather Channel in anticipation that I may be sent to OH, and the Mayor of Dayton was just on with an important "ask".  She implored people not to come in a gawk in the impacted areas.  I hope folks heed this ask and they possibly restrict entry to the most heavily impacted areas.  Working Hurricane Micheal last fall, gawking had a major negative impact on initial relief efforts.  Before we could move closer, it was taking 3-4 hours one way to get from Ft Walton Beach to Panama City.  With last night's Dayton area tornadoes being the worst of the 500+ over the last week or so, I can see travel in and around that area being miserable.  

Also, my area (and a lot of S PA) has been upgraded to ENHANCED for tomorrow now, as well.  Back to back ENHANCED days for this area is rare.  

So I'm in KC this week for work. Happens several times a year. 

Huge tornado on the ground in KS for two hours starting south of Lawerence and broke up heading into KC metro. While I'm watxhing local radar my wife is giving me updates in central OK at my house. 

No damage here in downtown KC or my home in central OK. 

Is storm season over yet?

Can't gauge damage yet.  Power outages, flooding, and some big damage south of town.

So I'm in KC this week for work. Happens several times a year. 

Huge tornado on the ground in KS for two hours starting south of Lawerence and broke up heading into KC metro. While I'm watxhing local radar my wife is giving me updates in central OK at my house. 

No damage here in downtown KC or my home in central OK. 

Is storm season over yet?
Stay safe everyone.

Third time this year we've been in our tornado shelter.  I'm getting sick and tired of this.  Two weeks my parents had snow in Colorado while my sister is being flooded out in tulsa.  Global warming is a myth, eh?

Last night was a wild night.  First tornado warned cell of the day started out in N central PA and right away I could see that if it held up, my house would be potentially near its path.  It would have rotation, then lose it.  Then get it back and then lose it.  All the while, marching further south and east.  By the time it was just a couple of miles away, it finally looked like the path was going to go just south of us and we'd just catch the northern edge.  And thank God it did, because just as it went south, that rotation finally dropped out of the clouds and produced a tornado.  And from the looks of it, a fairly decent one.  At least for our area.

So a couple of things:

1)  We are back in the ENHANCED risk for today.  Threat will be similar to what we saw yesterday, but I think we're going to have a better chance of seeing lines than supercells.  That means the focus would be more for Straight Line Winds rather than large tornadoes.  Doesn't mean we can't still see a tornado.  In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if we did.

2) Stupid people are a great resource.  So many great pics and videos from yesterday's storms.  All taken from morons who put their lives in danger to be able to post a weather video to social media.  You da real, MVP.  I mean, stupid, but an MVP.  But better you do it than me not be able to see a small EF-1 tornado in PA.  I'm sure your kids don't really like you that much anyway.  The video I saw this morning was taken by a guy who stood outside between two buildings to record the tornado as it ripped up trees just a couple yards in front of him.  Because everyone knows that tornadoes can't get around corners.  Pretty sneaky, sis. 

3) I was at the doctor's office yesterday and the nurses were talking about the approaching weather and the one said "Tornadoes in Pennsylvania?  I'm not sure how anyone can say Global Warming isn't real."  Look, people, I say it all of the time:  Weather happens all of the time all over the world.  And a lot of times, it seems crazy.  Record highs, record lows, flooding rain, strong hurricanes, etc.  Just because a weather event is kind of rare does not mean it was caused by some outside force.  And this isn't a GW argument for or against.  It's just me telling you that weather just happens.  If I roll 10 dice a million times, I probably wouldn't see that many 10's or 60's.  But the times I did see them, it wouldn't be because the earth was hotter during that roll. And as a side note, from 2000 to 2018, PA has seen 259 tornadoes, averaging almost 14 a year.  Tornadoes in PA are not rare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Co-worker lives in Linwood KS.  She's one of our sales directors I was supposed to meet with her today (in NJ).  Her plane landed last night and she got the call from her husband that their house had been hit - jumped right back on a plane to get back home.  I was trying to figure out where the path was vs. where her house was based on google maps and photos, and it does look like it was right in the path.  So sad.  Her husband and pets are fine, but so sad.  I don't know how people live in places like that.  I know it's rare for it to actually hit your house, but still...

Looks like the before the line moves through tonight, models are showing a chance at supercells forming out in front.  Those would be the big tornado chances we would see.  Then the line comes through with the SL Winds.  

It has nothing to do with GW.  It's simply the weather pattern we're in.  
I'm not a global warming fanatic, but I do find it intriguing and from everything I have read, the increased severity of our weather patterns is absolutely due to global warming. Take the US, in particular. I remember reading a study back during the winter about the colder air that is getting pushed down further south nowadays, causing more extreme winters, which in turn, affects the other weather events (flooding, etc.).  More severe and more frequent hurricanes along our coasts. And this year could be anomaly of course, but I don't recall the frequency of even severe thunderstorms and heavy rain events that we've seen in this area over the last several months. Rivers have been at flood stages since February in some areas here, and I don't think all the snow up north has even melted yet for the annual runoff trickle down. Just look at how many times in this thread people from all over the country have said "_____ has never happened here before."  I don't think that's just a bunch of coincidences. :tinfoilhat:  

Crazy, crazy night on Monday.

I'm about 20 miles south of Dayton and was mesmerized by the flashes of lightning off in the distance Monday night.  We're talking a flash every second and it didn't stop.  I watched for about 10 minutes and it never let up.  It was the wildest thing I'd ever seen, weather-related.  You could tell the storm was massive, but I had no idea what was really going on.

I hopped on my phone and saw what was happening up there.  Scared as hell when I saw.  My dad lives in Clayton which is smack in the middle of two of the tornado paths.  You can see in the image below how close it was to him.  I called him and found out that they had lost power, lost water, sirens were blaring and he couldn't believe the lightning storm that was all around him.

We had just spent Sunday at his home for a cookout.

Devastation here for a lot of my friends and I'm so thankful that my dad is safe.  How dozens of people weren't killed is a miracle.

Image of the tornado paths

ETA: the southern most path on the image is that of the F3/F4.  Narrowly missed downtown Dayton.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a global warming fanatic, but I do find it intriguing and from everything I have read, the increased severity of our weather patterns is absolutely due to global warming. Take the US, in particular. I remember reading a study back during the winter about the colder air that is getting pushed down further south nowadays, causing more extreme winters, which in turn, affects the other weather events (flooding, etc.).  More severe and more frequent hurricanes along our coasts. And this year could be anomaly of course, but I don't recall the frequency of even severe thunderstorms and heavy rain events that we've seen in this area over the last several months. Rivers have been at flood stages since February in some areas here, and I don't think all the snow up north has even melted yet for the annual runoff trickle down. Just look at how many times in this thread people from all over the country have said "_____ has never happened here before."  I don't think that's just a bunch of coincidences. :tinfoilhat:  
People have terrible memories when it comes to weather.  And they base it off of their past events they remember.  I want to point out I'm not arguing one way or the other, or even trying to say anything bad about people and their ideas.  Nothing like that.  But if you grew up and happened to be a kid during a couple years where we saw above average snows, when the normal or below average years come later in your life, you tend to think "I remember there being much more snow as a kid.  I guess things are changing."

So I caution against taking anything a non-weather person says about "remembering" with a grain of salt.  I've even seen fairly savvy weather people fall into this trap.  I was talking with a guy two years ago on a forum and he said when he was a kid, we used to get our first snow in October and our last snow in April.  And now we're lucky to see snow in December or March.  But the truth is, our normal snows fall from Dec. to Feb.  

There have not been more hurricanes or stronger hurricanes recently.  We see floods every year, maybe not in the same areas, but fairly close.  Remember that patterns can last for years.  California spent years seeing no rain.  Over the past couple years, they have seen more rain.  It's easy to point at an outside force, but really it's just the pattern.

I feel like the call of GW has become similar to how we explained things 1500 years ago or more.  It's the current version of "Oooo.  The Gods must be angry!"  A blizzard in the midwest?  Must be GW.  A hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico?  Must be GW.  Hot weather in the south?  Must be GW.

Again, I'm not saying GW doesn't exist.  I actually believe like most people that the global climate is constantly changing, the same way patterns change.  But I caution people to rush to blame the angry god that is Global Warming for every odd weather occurrence that happens.  Even rare weather events are still normal weather events.  

Crazy, crazy night on Monday.

I'm about 20 miles south of Dayton and was mesmerized by the flashes of lightning off in the distance Monday night.  It was the wildest thing I'd ever seen, weather-related.  You could tell the storm was massive, but I had no idea what was really going on.

I hopped on my phone and saw what was happening up there.  Scared as hell when I saw.  My dad lives in Clayton which is smack in the middle of two of the tornado paths.  You can see in the image below how close it was to him.  I called him and found out that they had lost power, lost water, sirens were blaring and he couldn't believe the lightning storm that was all around him.

We had just spent Sunday at his home for a cookout.

Devastation here for a lot of my friends and I'm so thankful that my dad is safe.  How dozens of people weren't killed is a miracle.

Image of the tornado paths

ETA: the southern most path on the image is that of the F3/F4.  Narrowly missed downtown Dayton.
So glad your Dad didn’t take any damage and more importantly, was safe.

The local weather service (Wilmington) did an outstanding job. Huge lead times and also they went to the “off the book” designation of tornado emergency.  That lead to the weather radios, cell phones, and Tv guys getting the warning out. This was a very very bad time of day with very little visibility and folks heading to bed with work the next day. One death (“only”) with EF3’s ripping thru a heavily populated area is miraculous.  They nailed it and it definitely saved lives. Government agencies get a bad rap, but the NWS Is invaluable.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
People have terrible memories when it comes to weather.  And they base it off of their past events they remember.  I want to point out I'm not arguing one way or the other, or even trying to say anything bad about people and their ideas.  Nothing like that.  But if you grew up and happened to be a kid during a couple years where we saw above average snows, when the normal or below average years come later in your life, you tend to think "I remember there being much more snow as a kid.  I guess things are changing."

So I caution against taking anything a non-weather person says about "remembering" with a grain of salt.  I've even seen fairly savvy weather people fall into this trap.  I was talking with a guy two years ago on a forum and he said when he was a kid, we used to get our first snow in October and our last snow in April.  And now we're lucky to see snow in December or March.  But the truth is, our normal snows fall from Dec. to Feb.  

There have not been more hurricanes or stronger hurricanes recently.  We see floods every year, maybe not in the same areas, but fairly close.  Remember that patterns can last for years.  California spent years seeing no rain.  Over the past couple years, they have seen more rain.  It's easy to point at an outside force, but really it's just the pattern.

I feel like the call of GW has become similar to how we explained things 1500 years ago or more.  It's the current version of "Oooo.  The Gods must be angry!"  A blizzard in the midwest?  Must be GW.  A hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico?  Must be GW.  Hot weather in the south?  Must be GW.

Again, I'm not saying GW doesn't exist.  I actually believe like most people that the global climate is constantly changing, the same way patterns change.  But I caution people to rush to blame the angry god that is Global Warming for every odd weather occurrence that happens.  Even rare weather events are still normal weather events.  
Right, it's a long-term thing, and I get that, but on the other hand I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss some of these events as just normal weather pattern stuff. I guess we may not know the answer to that in our lifetimes.

Definitely agree on the people remembering aspect. Seems like every summer, I still hear people saying "it's never been this hot at this time of year" when, yep, it sure has. Have you forgotten last year already!?  :lol:  

So glad your Dad didn’t take any damage and more importantly, was safe.

The local weather service (Wilmington) did an outstanding job. Huge lead times and also they went to the “off the book” designation of tornado emergency.  That lead to the weather radios, cell phones, and Tv guys getting the warning out. This was a very very bad time of day with very little visibility and folks heading to bed with work the next day. One death (“only”) with EF3’s ripping thru a heavily populated area is miraculous.  They nailed it and it definitely saved lives. Government agencies get a bad rap, but the NWS Is invaluable.
A Tornado Warning will set the phones off with the EBS alerts.  The Tornado Emergency is used for large tornadoes that are headed near large populations.  Not sure how often they are used, but definitely not an everyday occurrence.  

The NWS guys definitely deserve a ton of praise.  

Right, it's a long-term thing, and I get that, but on the other hand I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss some of these events as just normal weather pattern stuff. I guess we may not know the answer to that in our lifetimes.

Definitely agree on the people remembering aspect. Seems like every summer, I still hear people saying "it's never been this hot at this time of year" when, yep, it sure has. Have you forgotten last year already!?  :lol:  
Exactly!  At my old job, I remember a guy saying something like, "I can't remember the last time we had 5 days of 90 in a row!"  I didn't have the heart to tell him it was just a month prior.  

TheIronSheik said:
A Tornado Warning will set the phones off with the EBS alerts.  The Tornado Emergency is used for large tornadoes that are headed near large populations.  Not sure how often they are used, but definitely not an everyday occurrence.  

The NWS guys definitely deserve a ton of praise.  
Local weather person said it's only been used in Ohio a couple of times - ever.

Local weather person said it's only been used in Ohio a couple of times - ever.
Yeah.  It's used mostly in the midwest and plains states.  Where they get the big tornadoes.  Up here in OH and PA, we get tornadoes, but we usually see EF-2 or less.  Tornado emergencies went into effect 20 years ago, so that makes sense that OH hasn't seen many if any before.

Tornado Watch up until 8pm.  Honestly, I think they wavered back and forth over whether it should be a Thunderstorm or Tornado watch.  My guess is that they erred on the side of caution with the supercell development out ahead of the line.

MAC_32 said:
Now it's Kansas City's turn

Nugget said:
Can't gauge damage yet.  Power outages, flooding, and some big damage south of town.
This tornado literally went over the top of my mom's house in KCK. I was watching the tracking on the news, and they zoomed in on street names so people could see where it was. Both of my mom's cross streets were in the heart of it.

Somehow that tornado must have lifted off the ground once it hit the city, because she had no damage to speak of, never lost power....

But for awhile there it was nerve wracking watching this thing track. My house was in south Kansas City on the Kansas side, so we didn't get anything. 

Supercells are firing up ahead of the line.  Today's activity will be earlier today than yesterday.  Also, once that main line moves through, the threat is over for your area.

Users who are viewing this thread