Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheIronSheik

2020 Spring/Summer Severe Weather

Recommended Posts

59 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

This is the area of concern for today.

Talk of a possible derecho along with tornadoes.  And it sounds like the evening and overnight could be the worst of it.  Not good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am in the hatched area tomorrow.  Should make for an interesting day.

Edited by ragincajun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tornado Watches up for OK and TX.  These will extend eastward as the day/night goes on.  Again, if you are in (or know anyone in) the line of these storms, let them know to sleep with their phone volume on and not silenced.  This is the one time you want that annoying high shrill warning sound to wake you up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we're expecting some nasty storms moving thru Southeast today. Locally they're supposed to hit JAX late tonight but i75 corridor could see it in late afternoon/evening. 

@NWSSPC: 11:29pm CST #SPC Day1 Outlook Enhanced Risk: from the florida panhandle to north carolina http://go.usa.gov/YWq5 https://twitter.com/NWSSPC/status/1225292200017190913/photo/1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@WeatherLauren: WIND REPORT: 76 mph wind gust measured at NAS JAX as these storms race toward the beaches #FCNStorm @FCN2go

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Power came back on after a couple hours. Still a couple thousand locally without power.  Medium sized branch came down on the house last night, but no damage.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tampa got off easy with the wind. Rain moved through fast around 11 last night. Hoping all the folks up the eastern seaboard fair as well.

Edited by Osaurus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Tampa got off easy with the wind. Rain moved through fast around 11 last night. Hoping all the folks up the eastern seaboard fair as well.

I believe there was a confirmed tornado in the Tampa area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

I believe there was a confirmed tornado in the Tampa area. 

Yes, but generally mild event overall. Fortunately not near me. Wind damage wasn’t too bad, but a lot of smaller trees did go down across the area (again, not near me)

Edited by Osaurus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Yes, but generally mild event overall. Fortunately not near me. Wind damage wasn’t too bad, but a lot of smaller trees did go down across the area (again, not near me)

I must've slept through it all.  Got up this morning and all I could tell that was different was the temp.  I'm not even sure we got any rain :mellow: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could see a line. One through this evening. Shouldn’t have much lightning but could be pretty gusty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

80 in February is not cool. It's 7 pm and my windows are open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though it doesn't have an official season like hurricanes do, tornado season pretty much begins in March and runs until June.  The cold air clashing with the warm air is what makes the biggest storms.  And that's why spring (and to an extent, fall) are the big times for dangerous thunderstorms.  It's important to note that what happened in the one season has no effect on the next.  So a warm winter has no effect when it comes to spring.  

That said, first decent chance of severe weather comes next Tuesday, 3/3.  E TX, LA, AR, and MS are the hotspots for activity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Tornado kills 2 in Nashville and 3 more in outlying county :(

 

Thing ripped through part of the city like a damn thief in the night. I had NO idea until I woke up this morning.

Edited by hagmania

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, hagmania said:

Tornado kills 2 in Nashville and 3 more in outlying county :(

 

Thing ripped through part of the city like a damn thief in the night. I had NO idea until I woke up this morning.

Death toll now 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, it's crazy.  There was definitely a tornado threat for that area, but it was not very high.  This is one of those cases where all it takes is 1 tornado hitting the perfect spot and it's disastrous.  

It's kind of crazy to think how many tornadoes the US gets each year and how rare it is for them to hit a major city.  I mean, not super rare, but still rare.  On average, we get about 1000 tornadoes in the US a year.  And about .1% of them hit a large city, on average.  

I'm interested to hear what the size and wind speeds were for it.  Sounds like it could have been a fairly powerful one.  I haven't seen any pictures of the damage, just been reading the reports so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheIronSheik said:

Yeah, it's crazy.  There was definitely a tornado threat for that area, but it was not very high.  This is one of those cases where all it takes is 1 tornado hitting the perfect spot and it's disastrous.  

It's kind of crazy to think how many tornadoes the US gets each year and how rare it is for them to hit a major city.  I mean, not super rare, but still rare.  On average, we get about 1000 tornadoes in the US a year.  And about .1% of them hit a large city, on average.  

I'm interested to hear what the size and wind speeds were for it.  Sounds like it could have been a fairly powerful one.  I haven't seen any pictures of the damage, just been reading the reports so far.

Just saw a video.  Hard to tell because it was dark, but when the lightning lit up the sky, it looked like a pretty big wedge tornado.  I'm no expert on tornadoes, so that's just my untrained opinion.  But that definitely didn't look like a small EF0 or EF1 tornado.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just went back and double checked what the SPC had for yesterday and I was correct.  Nashville was in the 2% tornado range, which is the lowest range for possible threats.  As an example, all of S PA and almost all of NJ is in that area for today.  Chances we see a tornado are very, very unlikely.  Just so crazy that not only did they get hit, but they got hit by a fairly large looking tornado.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Just went back and double checked what the SPC had for yesterday and I was correct.  Nashville was in the 2% tornado range, which is the lowest range for possible threats.  As an example, all of S PA and almost all of NJ is in that area for today.  Chances we see a tornado are very, very unlikely.  Just so crazy that not only did they get hit, but they got hit by a fairly large looking tornado.

News this morning is stating a EF3 with winds between 145-165 I believe. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We could have a decent line (for March, anyway) move through our area around the 9pm time frame.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

We could have a decent line (for March, anyway) move through our area around the 9pm time frame.  

Last night was one of those weird times we get a Severe Thunderstorm Warning when there's not thunder.  In this area, we see these a lot in fall and early spring.  Storms brought crazy winds in.  Trash is today and everyone but me put their trash out last night.  This morning I woke up and there was trash and garbage cans all over the neighborhood.  It looked like a bomb went off.  Then there was me wheeling my cans out as everyone else was picking garbage up from their yards. :lol:

Gulf coast is the hotspot today.  Getting hammered as we speak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheIronSheik said:

 

Gulf coast is the hotspot today.  Getting hammered as we speak.

Yep

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

Yep

Tornado watches up from the MS/AL border to the coast of GA.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paging @TheIronSheik Today will likely be a rather busy Severe Weather day.  The blurb about upping the outlook to high risk can be interpreted as imminent.  For those in the slight risk areas and up please take a look at Severe Weather Preparedness.  Some of these storms could occur late at night (similar to Nashville).  There are Apps like storm shield that provide an audible alert on your phone should a warning be issued (waking you if a tornado warning is issued).  

Should the outbreak create widespread, significant damages, I will likely be deployed as what I do is deemed essential; so I have been obsessing over The Weather Channel and tons of online info.  Stay Safe FBGs and please, if in the warning areas, take this seriously for you and your families.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be an ugly day in my region 👎 (Indy) plus tons of friends and family from central to northern IL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Horrible weather Tuesday night in Ohio. My friend’s sister lost their home in a tornado. Thankfully they all made it to the lowest level of the house at midnight when their alerts went off and none of them got hurt. Crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Severe weather in Deep South for Easter Sunday??

@MJVentrice: Models are more aggressive with severe weather criteria being met across the Gulf States, especially LA-MS. The SPC has issued a "Moderate Risk" three days out, signaling risk for a widespread, destructive #EasterSunday severe thunderstorm outbreak. https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/1248558564165267470/photo/1

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday here in NO Ohio we had a blizzard, sunny weather, heavy rain, and then hail all in a period of about 6-7 hours :scared:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2020 at 6:06 AM, GroveDiesel said:

Horrible weather Tuesday night in Ohio. My friend’s sister lost their home in a tornado. Thankfully they all made it to the lowest level of the house at midnight when their alerts went off and none of them got hurt. Crazy.

Wow sorry to hear that! Where was this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoeSteeler said:

Wow sorry to hear that! Where was this?

In the Canton, OH area.

Link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

In the Canton, OH area.

Link

Grew up near there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:

Grew up near there

Me too! Born and grew up in Massillon-Perry.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JaxBill said:

Severe weather in Deep South for Easter Sunday??

@MJVentrice: Models are more aggressive with severe weather criteria being met across the Gulf States, especially LA-MS. The SPC has issued a "Moderate Risk" three days out, signaling risk for a widespread, destructive #EasterSunday severe thunderstorm outbreak. https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/1248558564165267470/photo/1

 

Yep local meteorologists are sending out warnings already for "long lasting, heavy storms." Expecting, at this time, the worst to be first half of Sunday AM. Moderate risk for my area for now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GroveDiesel said:

Me too! Born and grew up in Massillon-Perry.

Alliance here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

Yep local meteorologists are sending out warnings already for "long lasting, heavy storms." Expecting, at this time, the worst to be first half of Sunday AM. Moderate risk for my area for now. 

Not trying to be chicken little here, but the weather the last 10 days or so has a 2011 lite feel.  I think I've mentioned in the hurricane or wildfire thread, I coordinate and mange response to widespread natural disasters.  In fact, I am in Michigan coordinating a hail damage response (yeah being essential and an empty hotel).  If you are in the path of projected storms, please take the next few days seriously.  Maybe use this as your guide.  I hate when I see moderate risk on the Convective Outlook as more often than not its a signal that 🙂 is about to go down.  

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, 2Young2BBald said:

Not trying to be chicken little here, but the weather the last 10 days or so has a 2011 lite feel.  I think I've mentioned in the hurricane or wildfire thread, I coordinate and mange response to widespread natural disasters.  In fact, I am in Michigan coordinating a hail damage response (yeah being essential and an empty hotel).  If you are in the path of projected storms, please take the next few days seriously.  Maybe use this as your guide.  I hate when I see moderate risk on the Convective Outlook as more often than not its a signal that 🙂 is about to go down.  

 

Oh definitely. One of the trusted sources I follow is usually on top of things and very accurate. If he starts throwing up warnings, I pay attention. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, JaxBill said:

Severe weather in Deep South for Easter Sunday??

@MJVentrice: Models are more aggressive with severe weather criteria being met across the Gulf States, especially LA-MS. The SPC has issued a "Moderate Risk" three days out, signaling risk for a widespread, destructive #EasterSunday severe thunderstorm outbreak. https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/1248558564165267470/photo/1

 

I think I'm within 100 meters of the geo-center.

ETA: "I think we're in a tight spot."

Edited by Mister CIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stay safe anyone from Texas to Virginia over next 24 hours.  Sounds like a wild ride is coming for the entire SE and mid-atlantic states

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.