What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Preston Williams, MIA (1 Viewer)

I only play dynasty so I was referring to rookie pick value, but Preston Williams is a good name to know for sure.  Even more so if they solve the QB problem next year in what appears to be a good draft for QB talent.  Or if you believe in Rosen then it's not a bad investment into skill position players that will grow into what could be a surprise team in 2020 with some solid pieces forming now.  

If you're talking redraft, I say no, none are draft worthy in the top10 rounds though.  
FYI - I believe Miami will give Rosen 2 years so don’t see them as drafting Qb next year.  Why draft dynasty guys on teams when you have multiple question marks.  The chances of everything working out are minimal.  

I only play dynasty so I was referring to rookie pick value, but Preston Williams is a good name to know for sure.  Even more so if they solve the QB problem next year in what appears to be a good draft for QB talent.  Or if you believe in Rosen then it's not a bad investment into skill position players that will grow into what could be a surprise team in 2020 with some solid pieces forming now.  

If you're talking redraft, I say no, none are draft worthy in the top10 rounds though.  
It’s a lot of ifs to pay off on the above.  

I took him at 5.11 a few weeks ago thanks to this thread. I am interested in what this kid has to show us. I went receiver heavy in my rookie draft (Isabella, JJAW, D. Johnson, and P Williams), so if he hits, I will come back and thank you guys for sure. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Got him at pick 78 in early May.  At that spot I was debating between him and a rb (who I ended up getting with my next pick) and took him because of his college production, size, upside and lack of anyone that has been very productive on the Dolphins roster. Parker has been teasing for 4 years and that's long enough to know about him.

:blackdot:  Dropped Gesicki and picked up Preston off waivers this week in our 12 team keeper league, because of this thread.

Preston Williams secured just one-of-six targets for seven yards in the Dolphins’ second preseason game Friday against the Buccaneers.

Williams obliterated the Falcons in last week’s preseason opener (4-97-0 on five targets), but he didn’t do anything of the sort Friday as the Bucs stonewalled him at every turn. Some of the wounds were self-inflicted as Williams dropped a pair of freebies. The undrafted rookie nearly came down with a miraculous touchdown off a deflection but was ruled out of bounds. This was undoubtedly a setback, though Williams’ roster odds are still looking good heading into next week’s dress rehearsal game against Jacksonville.

Aug 16, 2019, 11:18 PM ET

FYI - I believe Miami will give Rosen 2 years so don’t see them as drafting Qb next year.  Why draft dynasty guys on teams when you have multiple question marks.  The chances of everything working out are minimal.  
Because you draft the best player available

Typically even bad teams will give you guys of value. 

Tomlinson was a fantasy stud despite the Chargers being bad for multiple years. 

I would say that the New York Giants have a lot of questions now, and most people have Saquon as the #1 overall player. 

Look at how bad the Cardinals were last year.  In 0.5 ppr leagues, Fitzgerald finished as WR 27 with 69 catches, 734 yards and 6 TD's.  Say that in 2-3 years, Preston Williams only gives you those numbers.  Are you sad that your 2nd or 3rd round rookie pick only turned out to be a WR3? 

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters

Preston Williams looks like a grown ### man out there.

Joe Schad @schadjoe

🦄 Preston Williams 🦄 made a SPECTACULAR play going into the end zone at Tampa Bay. He tapped the ball into the air, spun and grabbed it. But he was ruled to have stepped out of bounds.

Who are you drafting in the 5th round of rookie drafts that doesn't have multiple question marks?  Even first rounders have multiple question marks. 

WRs also don't need to be on a good team.  They can be on a terrible team and still be fine in terms of counting stats.  Being on a bad team can be good if it means soft defenses and comeback mode at the end of every game. 

Same thing with marquise brown this year.   He’s being discounted cuz of Lamar Jackson.   If Jackson doesn’t improve as a passer he won’t be the qb in two years.   At that point brown will still be 24 years old.  Same thing with Williams.   The dolphins do stink today, but if they don’t turn it around in a year or two there will be a new regime and Williams will still only be 24  

less talented players drafted ahead of these two will be out of the league/backups in two years 

you draft the best player available and let everything else work itself out

Cobbler1 said:
Coulda said the same about Chubb and Baker with Cleveland a year ago. 
Exactly, a lot people saw Cleveland. Or you go after players with an established Qi like m Williams or m Thomas types vs a guy on a terrible team with nothing guaranteed at qb.  Just me.  

I know it feels like you really made out and on paper you did, but in reality you are just choosing to make a dart throw on a different player. You could easily be on the short end of this deal when the dust settles.
If it's superflex, a 2020 2nd has a good chance to be a player with day 2 draft capital. 

It's always tough selling these lottery tickets that hit, but it seems like more often than not selling high is the right move.  Too often these guys fade back into obscurity. 

I know it feels like you really made out and on paper you did, but in reality you are just choosing to make a dart throw on a different player. You could easily be on the short end of this deal when the dust settles.
he hasnt hit anything yet.....lets not fit him for a yellow jacket just yet

he hasnt hit anything yet.....lets not fit him for a yellow jacket just yet
I understand that. You obviously feel he is overrated and as a non-believer selling "high" was the right move for you.

Your trading partner felt he was absolutely worth a 2nd and his offer confirmed that belief.

What I meant was now you have to turn that 2nd into something worth more than Preston Williams to "profit" from the deal.

P.W. believers would find that difficult while non-believers such as yourself see it differently.

Your post was a great point of reference reflecting the current perceived value and"hype" surrounding the player and is good for others to know. 

I realize you were not tauting your trade as being a great deal for you and I appreciate knowing what the market is saying about Preston Williams.

I have the opportunity to draft Williams with the first pick in our free agent draft as he went undrafted in our 3 round rookie draft.  I recently posted that I would give the pick up for a 2020 1st as I think there about 3 teams that should consider it as they will likely be picking at the end of the 1st. I wouldn't trade the pick for a 2nd rounder though.

What I meant was now you have to turn that 2nd into something worth more than Preston Williams to "profit" from the deal.
He took a 4th round pick from a bad draft class and turned it into an extra 2nd round pick in a stacked class.  How much more profit does he need to squeeze in order for you to be happy?

Williams very likely isn't going to be worth more than a future 2nd at any point this season, I think he cashed out beautifully.

He took a 4th round pick from a bad draft class and turned it into an extra 2nd round pick in a stacked class.  How much more profit does he need to squeeze in order for you to be happy?

Williams very likely isn't going to be worth more than a future 2nd at any point this season, I think he cashed out beautifully.
Being a 4th round pick in a bad draft class is irrelelevant once that pick has a name.

A 2nd round pick in a "stacked" 2020 draft is indeed a nice asset and a nice "profit" in that sense, but you still have to hit on that pick to get something worth more than Preston Williams. It can end poorly for you as well. 

I realize I am much higher on Williams than most, but where he was drafted now is meaningless. If you have watched him play, you know what I mean.

When I find a diamond in the rough in rounds 4 and 5 like I did in Preston Williams, quickly trying to deal him for an unknown commodity is not something I aspire to do.

Everyone see's things differently and that's a larger part of what makes the hobby fun. 

I think we can all agree on that.

A 2nd round pick in a "stacked" 2020 draft is indeed a nice asset and a nice "profit" in that sense, but you still have to hit on that pick to get something worth more than Preston Williams. It can end poorly for you as well. 

I realize I am much higher on Williams than most, but where he was drafted now is meaningless. If you have watched him play, you know what I mean.

When I find a diamond in the rough in rounds 4 and 5 like I did in Preston Williams, quickly trying to deal him for an unknown commodity is not something I aspire to do.
What's your reasonable expectation for Preston Williams this season/in his career?  I don't see anything more than a WR2 at best, at least not while he's saddled to the Dolphins. Flipping assets for profit is the fastest way to improve your roster, regardless of how well a UDFA has performed in training camp.

What's your reasonable expectation for Preston Williams this season/in his career?  I don't see anything more than a WR2 at best, at least not while he's saddled to the Dolphins. Flipping assets for profit is the fastest way to improve your roster, regardless of how well a UDFA has performed in training camp.
I am not expecting Preston Williams to crack my starting lineup this season. Same as with AJ Brown or Hakeem Butler or JJAW 

But looking to the future, his upside is Brandon Marshall. If I am trading a 2020 pick for him, I am not giving up anything useful in 2019 either.

Flipping assets for profit is obviously nice. But trading Williams for a 2020 pick is not "profiting" UNTIL you pick another player worth more.

Preston Williams could turn out to be fools gold but the idea you "profited" just by flipping him for a 2020 pick is nonsense.

Ben & Jerry's said:
I am not expecting Preston Williams to crack my starting lineup this season. Same as with AJ Brown or Hakeem Butler or JJAW 

But looking to the future, his upside is Brandon Marshall. If I am trading a 2020 pick for him, I am not giving up anything useful in 2019 either.

Flipping assets for profit is obviously nice. But trading Williams for a 2020 pick is not "profiting" UNTIL you pick another player worth more.

Preston Williams could turn out to be fools gold but the idea you "profited" just by flipping him for a 2020 pick is nonsense.
Not really.  If you used a 7th round pick in 2019 to pick Preston, then flipped it today for a 1st in 2020......how can you say that wasn’t a profit?   Your expected value is almost certainly higher, even though there is still the uncertainty involved with a pick that is yet to be made.

Well I wouldn't say flipping him for a 1st wasn't a profit, where the expected value is much clearer.

I will say flipping your 4th round Preston Williams now for a 2020 2nd rounder isn't necessarily a profit. 

It's like giving up your trip to Cancun on Let's Make a Deal and going for the "Big Deal of the day". Sometimes you get the car, sometimes you get the broken down dairy cow.

Which one is the guarantee?
Guarantee value. In his eyes, he made a 2nd round pick appear out of thin air. Whereas Williams could bust into nothing. So instead of risking bankruptcy, he at worst case scenario ends up with a 2nd Rounder. Which he could flip for another player if he chooses so.

Either way, whatever "value" he gets was created from the ether (waiver wire).

I'd take a 2020 2nd without hesitation, though I do own Williams in multiple leagues so I would really be hedging and locking in a profit.

I doubt I could get a 2020 2nd in any league.  I put out feelers last week and got nothing at all in terms of interest, not even a bad offer.

What a useless conversation.  I wouldn't sell for a 2nd, but that's me.  Just wait a few more weeks when they announce he's a starter then be happy you didn't sell now. 
How likely do you think it is that he'll be named the starter over one of Stills, Wilson and Parker? 

I don't disagree that he's earned a shot with what he's shown, but I'm worried that this hype train might get at least temporarily derailed by him not getting on the field immediately when the season starts.

How likely do you think it is that he'll be named the starter over one of Stills, Wilson and Parker? 

I don't disagree that he's earned a shot with what he's shown, but I'm worried that this hype train might get at least temporarily derailed by him not getting on the field immediately when the season starts.
I think it depends a lot on the QB of choice more so than the current stable of under performing journeymen WR's they have.  If they go with Rosen, why would they go with those WR's who are depth adds on most rosters?  It makes no sense with their tank for Tua campaign.  Put Preston in, see what you have in both him and Rosen and get the fan base excited.  Worst case they lose games and The Unicorn flashes big play ability or some nice catches.  There's no downside.  You go with Stills/Wilson/Parker as the starters and you get mediocre production and frustrated fans.  Everyone knows the Dolphins aren't suppose to win a lot of games.  

I think it depends a lot on the QB of choice more so than the current stable of under performing journeymen WR's they have.  If they go with Rosen, why would they go with those WR's who are depth adds on most rosters?  It makes no sense with their tank for Tua campaign.  Put Preston in, see what you have in both him and Rosen and get the fan base excited.  Worst case they lose games and The Unicorn flashes big play ability or some nice catches.  There's no downside.  You go with Stills/Wilson/Parker as the starters and you get mediocre production and frustrated fans.  Everyone knows the Dolphins aren't suppose to win a lot of games.  
I agree with this - I'm not sure what the coaching staff will end up doing though.  

What a useless conversation.  I wouldn't sell for a 2nd, but that's me.  Just wait a few more weeks when they announce he's a starter then be happy you didn't sell now. 
useless really? I thought that was  a great convo….lets not forget the dude has some baggage.....

I'd buy. Stat line has been bad last couple games. He's an UDFA. Owner is panicking. 
I pulled the trigger before he pulled the trade. 

Worst case it's a blown 3rd rounder, which is likely to happen anyways. His upside is massive

🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄

FTR I had to part with williams to eventually get Kyler Murray. tried to get him back ever since. 

was offered williams for a 2020 3rd. what am I missing? 
week 1 against 3rd & 4th stringers: 97 yds

Fantasy community reaction: "What a stud!"

week 2 against some defensive starters: 7 yds

Fantasy community reaction: "Yeah , but he almost had a Td!"

week 3 against more defensive starters: 0 yds

Fantasy community reaction: "Well, maybe.....But-But-But, perhaps....."

week 1 against 3rd & 4th stringers: 97 yds

Fantasy community reaction: "What a stud!"

week 2 against some defensive starters: 7 yds

Fantasy community reaction: "Yeah , but he almost had a Td!"

week 3 against more defensive starters: 0 yds

Fantasy community reaction: "Well, maybe.....But-But-But, perhaps....."
He torched Jalen Ramsey in the 1st quarter, but Fitzpatrick underthrew it by 5-10 yards, and Williams had to stop and try to come back to it. A good throw, and we might be looking at a 70 yard TD against an all-pro CB. 

Users who are viewing this thread