What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Preston Williams, MIA (1 Viewer)

Zyphros

Footballguy
I've said this since January that he's the most talented WR in this class in my rankings thread.  

Preston Williams WR CSU 

Listed at 6'4" 210

Committed to Tennessee as a high school senior.  Transferred out basically a year later with a scholarship to CSU. 

Not invited to the combine due to some legal concerns in the past.  Here's an article shedding some light on that - https://www.denverpost.com/2019/01/31/preston-williams-csu-rams-nfl-combine-snub/

Pro day scheduled for March 7th from what I've found and it's 2 days away so I had to start a thread here.  

Highlight reel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mmUrpehhgA

Last edited by a moderator:
What's your definition of "most talented"?
DK Metcalf that can cut haha too easy to pass that joke up.

Seriously though he has every tool in the bag, he runs multiple types of routes as an outside receiver, can play inside with his big body and bullies defenders to go along with his length, high point ability, tracking and speed.  There's nothing in his game I don't like.  

That's saying a lot.........this draft is absolutely loaded at WR......there's like 3-4 guys I love this year. 

That's saying a lot.........this draft is absolutely loaded at WR......there's like 3-4 guys I love this year. 
It's been said a lot about all these other WR's how they all lack the ability to show their separation skills or that's the biggest question mark for most of them.  This guy gets his separation and then burns the DB even more running away from them.  I absolutely love this WR class to death that has a top10 WR's that I'd put up against ANYONE from last year.  At first I was thinking only 3-5 guys from this year vs last, but now I'm so thrilled.  

I talk about my "favorites" a lot on here it seems but this guy is absolutely the only guy I NEED to have on my teams.  I won't care one bit if he goes undrafted in the NFL draft, I'm still taking him top12.  

It's been said a lot about all these other WR's how they all lack the ability to show their separation skills or that's the biggest question mark for most of them.  This guy gets his separation and then burns the DB even more running away from them.  I absolutely love this WR class to death that has a top10 WR's that I'd put up against ANYONE from last year.  At first I was thinking only 3-5 guys from this year vs last, but now I'm so thrilled.  

I talk about my "favorites" a lot on here it seems but this guy is absolutely the only guy I NEED to have on my teams.  I won't care one bit if he goes undrafted in the NFL draft, I'm still taking him top12.  
I want to see what's under the hood at his pro-day. If he's a 4.5 guy with a sub 7sec 3 cone and good jumps I'll be high on him as well. 

I do like and respect that you're coming out and stating you think he's the best. A lot of guys including myself won't always name names.......

He's a guy to keep your eye on, that is for sure. No one in this class is a sure thing. Attitude is an issue with some guys but may not have reared it's ugly head yet...Antonio Brown. Some guys are lazy once they hit the big payday, hard to weed them out as well. Some guys are simply too dumb to grasp an NFL playbook. On the flip side, Calvin Johnson was a guy that was too smart. He managed his cash and didn't need the game.

At 1.1 right now, I'm going DK Metcalf because he's a potential nightmare of a receiver. Looks like he wants to be great and has pedigree.

The Draft Network's Trevor Sikkema mocked Colorado State WR Preston Williams to Round 7.

Williams (6'4/210) would be inside a lot of teams/analysts top-5 receiver rankings, but he has too many questions surrounding his background (domestic violence) for a team to spend a Day 1 or Day 2 pick on him. In fact, there will be NFL teams who will leave Williams completely off of their draft boards, so it's not a guarantee that he ends up being drafted. However, if he's able to turn things around and gets another opportunity, Williams has the upside to be a plus-starter in the NFL. As a redshirt junior, Williams posted a 96-1,345-14 receiving line.

SOURCE: The Draft Network

Feb 18, 2019, 7:39 PM

NFL.com's Tom Pelissero reports that Colorado State WR Preston Williams will not receive an invitation to the NFL Scouting Combine due to his failing to meet league standards regarding past violence allegations.

Williams (6'4/210) was arrested in 2017 after he was involved in a scuffle with an ex-girlfriend, and again several weeks after that initial arrest when he violated a restraining order against him. He subsequently pleaded guilty to harassment, with charges of tampering and domestic violence dropped as part of a deferred sentence. this past season, the former Tennessee wideout logged a 96-1345-14 receiving line. The Athletic's Dane Brugler passed along at the end of December that the talented wideout would likely be scrubbed off the boards of multiple NFL squads due to his past issues. NFL.com's Lance Zierlein has previously written that Williams "might be the most talented wideout in the entire draft," but does not see a first-round selection as likely, here, due to Williams' past issues.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Jan 31, 2019, 4:48 PM

This class is already loaded at WR. If he's another 1st round talent at WR that makes 5 maybe 6 WR I'd grade as 1st round talents.......

I'd pump the brakes... he may be a 1st round talent that can be had for a 3rd rou d or UDFA price tag
We will see, the NFL sniffs these guys out, if he has the goods he will be drafted plus CSU has been putting some talent in the NFL at the WR position for awhile

He looks way better in games due to the level of competition he faced most games in the Mountain West.  Plus that CSU team was always down huge all season long, they had to throw it up regardless.  But he looked good fighting for the ball.  Can't say I remember any CU or CSU wr's ever amounting to anything even when hyped. Paul Richardson comes to mind right off the bat.  Everyone loved him coming out and he still hasn't had any real success.   I will watch for his pro day numbers but unless some team grabs him day 2,  I won't be bending over to get him till later in the rounds if at all. I will let someone else burn a value 1st through 3rd round pick on him.  This draft really has some great choices through 2 or even 3 rounds to be taking too much risk.  Just my 2 cents

I'd pump the brakes... he may be a 1st round talent that can be had for a 3rd rou d or UDFA price tag
I've heard he might not get drafted. He won't go day two, bank on it. I'm not sure what he did other then the one charge he got but I keep hearing stuff like Jeffery Simmons had rehabbed his image with NFL decision makers but have heard some people speculate that's not the case with Williams.

Hard to get excited about his stats because Higgins put up more impressive stats in that offense and Gallup similar and neither of those players excite me much in NFL. 

I do think he's pretty talented, was #1 ranked WR in nation coming out of high school. I watched some film of him a few weeks ago and he moves great for a big guy. Have heard numerous people for months speculate he could be the most talented WR in this class, I've already been drafting him in some redraft leagues. But every year when a guy has issues, like Demarcus Robinson and Callaway as examples, people overfluff with comments like "this guy would be a first round pick or best WR in draft" if not for off the field stuff. I think it's get a little overblown but had he been able to participate in the combine I think he'd be in the mix with Metcalf, Harry, Butler. Fairly productive big WR's who tested fairly well. I'm just less certain he's #1 with a bullet so to speak, more or less in the mix talent wise.

He is for sure the kind of WR that let's say  if he goes in round 5 that I"d be looking at taking in like round 2 of my dynasty draft.

I've heard he might not get drafted. He won't go day two, bank on it. I'm not sure what he did other then the one charge he got but I keep hearing stuff like Jeffery Simmons had rehabbed his image with NFL decision makers but have heard some people speculate that's not the case with Williams.

Hard to get excited about his stats because Higgins put up more impressive stats in that offense and Gallup similar and neither of those players excite me much in NFL. 

I do think he's pretty talented, was #1 ranked WR in nation coming out of high school. I watched some film of him a few weeks ago and he moves great for a big guy. Have heard numerous people for months speculate he could be the most talented WR in this class, I've already been drafting him in some redraft leagues. But every year when a guy has issues, like Demarcus Robinson and Callaway as examples, people overfluff with comments like "this guy would be a first round pick or best WR in draft" if not for off the field stuff. I think it's get a little overblown but had he been able to participate in the combine I think he'd be in the mix with Metcalf, Harry, Butler. Fairly productive big WR's who tested fairly well. I'm just less certain he's #1 with a bullet so to speak, more or less in the mix talent wise.

He is for sure the kind of WR that let's say  if he goes in round 5 that I"d be looking at taking in like round 2 of my dynasty draft.
I was referring to a rookie draft: probably round 3 or udfa in most leagues unless he generates a lot of buzz. I'm certainly paying attention

I was referring to a rookie draft: probably round 3 or udfa in most leagues unless he generates a lot of buzz. I'm certainly paying attention
 Sounds about right, that's about price people had to pay for Callaway last year but I like Williams college film a little more then I liked Callaway's and while his off field issues might turn off NFL teams I don't view him as the suspension risk I viewed and continue to view Callaway.  I'll likely have a top 24 pick grade on him but can't say for sure until he lands.

I've already drafted Williams in last round, 28th, of two FFPC DE leagues I've done, which is half of them. He's a bargain right now IMO and I hope that bargain continues but I do think there is something more to his personal story I'm not aware, something really turning off NFL teams more then his known incident. All that really matters to me is you got to hope whatever he might have done he gets a shot to get on the field. I'm imagine he's one of those guys that maybe are only on the board of a handful of teams, but that's not any different then Mixon.

Milkman said:
No way but I could change my mind if he has a crazy pro-day. 
I wouldn’t. To me that early production Harry had outweighs anything Williams can do at a workout. 

If talent is pure athleticism, isn’t Parris Cambell the answer to this? Not to be critical Zyphros, you’ve contributed a lot to draft season but maybe save the hyperbole in the title and just make this a Dynasty/Redraft thread?

If talent is pure athleticism, isn’t Parris Cambell the answer to this? Not to be critical Zyphros, you’ve contributed a lot to draft season but maybe save the hyperbole in the title and just make this a Dynasty/Redraft thread?
Sort of looks like a hot take before watching the dude play. After watching him, it's hard to find anything bad to say. It confounds that hasn't gotten much of hype.

I mean, it's very possible Zyphros puts Preston Williams at the top of his wide receiver list.

I am not comparing the talent but the situation of a talented WR falling in NFL circles due to off field issues a few years prior to his draft date.  Tyreek Hill was drafted much later than his athleticism said he should because of an off field situation but kept on the straight and narrow (so far) and has been elite.  Is there some of that same potential here?

Sort of looks like a hot take before watching the dude play. After watching him, it's hard to find anything bad to say. It confounds that hasn't gotten much of hype.

I mean, it's very possible Zyphros puts Preston Williams at the top of his wide receiver list.

I am not comparing the talent but the situation of a talented WR falling in NFL circles due to off field issues a few years prior to his draft date.  Tyreek Hill was drafted much later than his athleticism said he should because of an off field situation but kept on the straight and narrow (so far) and has been elite.  Is there some of that same potential here?
I don’t mind anyone having anyone ranked high based off of whatever they like. I’ll be prone to disagree though. In this case, this is one of the deepest classes I’ve seen in my lifetime. Williams complete college career isn’t as good as his late college career. Athletically he isn’t going to hold a candle to Campbell (or Miles Boykin) and that’s already been seen today: https://twitter.com/iankenyonnfl/status/1103325209598275589?s=21

Some fairly disappointing jumps from Preston Williams this morning. 31.5" vert, 9'8" broad. Thought he'd push more in the 36-38" and 10'4-10'7 range.

I don’t mind anyone having anyone ranked high based off of whatever they like. I’ll be prone to disagree though. In this case, this is one of the deepest classes I’ve seen in my lifetime. Williams complete college career isn’t as good as his late college career. Athletically he isn’t going to hold a candle to Campbell (or Miles Boykin) and that’s already been seen today: https://twitter.com/iankenyonnfl/status/1103325209598275589?s=21
In defense of Zyphros, those hadn't come out when he started the thread. We all have guys we liked before their spandex shorts tests. With those numbers though, it will be hard to make a case for him as the best receiver in this draft. He's probably 4.5 range of the 40, decent agility drils, nothing too special there.

There's still a lot of things to like about him. He can do everything pretty well, including willingly block, runs all the routes - some of them pretty well . Good against zone. I feel like he's a good target in the 2nd round of rookie drafts.

Edit: nevermind.

Athleticism does not equal talent.  Athleticism is PART of talent.  But there is probably a certain threshold of athleticism that matters for the best of the best.  From my eyes, along with really good production in his final year, he passed every single test in my mind.  Where as every single other WR I still had questions for.  Including Parris Campbell who I am also high on.  It's not hyperbole if it's an opinion, not my problem if you don't like the thread title.  

Athleticism does not equal talent.  Athleticism is PART of talent.  But there is probably a certain threshold of athleticism that matters for the best of the best.  From my eyes, along with really good production in his final year, he passed every single test in my mind.  Where as every single other WR I still had questions for.  Including Parris Campbell who I am also high on.  It's not hyperbole if it's an opinion, not my problem if you don't like the thread title.  
Well, after today I can say it’s emphatically wrong... so you got that going for you.

one thing I like about him, is that I dont see any of the supposed character flaws.     There is no taunting after a catch, no crazy celebrations.....just a kid trying to ball, especially quite a few times when his team is down by multiple scores.    I'm intrigued, thanks zyphros

I thought his pro day was tomorrow but guess not.  Turned in a rather uninspiring one actually. 

Reports have him at a 4.57-4.59 40 along with the other numbers bicycle have posted.  I still think his game speed is quite a bit faster when you see him separate and run away.  Plus there's plenty of WR's with late 4.5's in their resume.  

Draft capital will be pretty big for me with his off the field concerns and we'll see the type of visit interest he gets when the NFL draft comes closer.  But he's still a top talent just probably in the rookie pick 10-20 range with that pro day.  

one thing I like about him, is that I dont see any of the supposed character flaws.     There is no taunting after a catch, no crazy celebrations.....just a kid trying to ball, especially quite a few times when his team is down by multiple scores.    I'm intrigued, thanks zyphros
Blocker also.

I thought his pro day was tomorrow but guess not.  Turned in a rather uninspiring one actually. 

Reports have him at a 4.57-4.59 40 along with the other numbers bicycle have posted.  I still think his game speed is quite a bit faster when you see him separate and run away.  Plus there's plenty of WR's with late 4.5's in their resume.  

Draft capital will be pretty big for me with his off the field concerns and we'll see the type of visit interest he gets when the NFL draft comes closer.  But he's still a top talent just probably in the rookie pick 10-20 range with that pro day.  
I got that 40 time from the twitter thread....i like the kid...looks good. His competition is less than ideal in that conference....lets see what the nfl thinks....good target for a taxi squad stash if hes a 3rd/4th round dyno pick

I watched plenty of the CSU games the last several years and the Mountain west conference for decades.  It is way easier to look good running away from Mountain west and West coast conference cornerbacks than most any other conference backs.  You don't find many who will ever be drafted or even invited to a combine.  Also in most of the games CSU played they were down by 3 td's plus. Much of the game the other teams were just playing a laid back prevent type zone.  Against the few good teams they played you will see CB's in tight coverage on Williams and right there to bring him down if he made the catch.  Just saying the film isn't showing all the variables of the competition and defensive calls he faced. 

But I like the way he fights for the ball and the extra yards after the catch.  I think he could be a viable fantasy WR with the right breaks and team.  But so could 25 other wr's this draft.  Plenty of risks with this one, and there are reasons he wasn't invited to the combine and played for multiple schools. He isn't on my ignore list but top 3 rounds rookie draft might be too rich for my blood.  But if he gets an earlier than 6-7th round NFL draft spot then I might be more interested.  I like him,  but I don't love him.   Another 2 cents for the discussion from someone who has seen a lot of CSU games. 

Rotoworld take:

Colorado State WR Preston Williams ran his second 40-yard dash at his pro day in 4.57 seconds.

A much better time than the 4.64 second mark he posted in his first run. Still, when you combine that with his disappointing jumps (31.5" vertical, 116" broad), this is a disappointing day for the 6-foot-4, 210-pound wideout.

SOURCE: Justin Michael on Twitter

Mar 6, 2019, 10:18 AM

Colorado State WR Preston Williams posted a vertical-jump of 31.5 inches and broad jump of 116 inches and ran the 40-yard dash in 4.64 seconds at his pro day on Wednesday.

Simply put, these are not good numbers. Williams (6'4/210) wasn't able to participate in the NFL Scouting Combine because of an arrest in 2017 involving domestic violence, so the pro day was extremely important for the Colorado State star. He was one of the most productive wideouts in the country last year (96/1,345/14), but there are questions about his athleticism that didn't get an answer on Wednesday. Not a positive one, anyway.

SOURCE: Ian Kenyon on Twitter

Mar 6, 2019, 9:17 AM

I'll pass........
Sounds like the NFL will as well:

Dane Brugler‏Verified account @dpbrugler 1h1 hour ago

All it takes is one team to roll the dice, but... Based on the feedback from scouts who were at the #ColoradoState pro day, it sounds like a long shot that WR Preston Williams gets drafted. Bad off-field and poor workouts are tough to overcome.

Ugh my dream is dying before I could even see what team he's on.  He's now no better a prospect than guys like Da'Rick Rogers or Ishmael Zamora who people were hyping like crazy at times.  

Users who are viewing this thread