What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Preston Williams, MIA (1 Viewer)

I mean who else are they going to throw too......
Unicorn 1

Rest of the field 7 at the half.

The good news is it's only 13-0, Miami is behind but not being blown out just yet, should be plenty of opps in the 2nd half, garbage time, but again they can't get a sustained drive. 

I just saw the Ballage bobble along with the INT for a TD for NE.  I also saw 2 players bracketing Preston Williams?  Uhhh has this been going on all day?  

Zyphros said:
I just saw the Ballage bobble along with the INT for a TD for NE.  I also saw 2 players bracketing Preston Williams?  Uhhh has this been going on all day?  
Not sure but he still had a nice game. Moving him up my rankings......

Preston Williams absorbed four catches for 63 yards on six targets Sunday in the Dolphins’ Week 2 loss to the Patriots.

Williams was easily Miami's most productive player on Miami, an admittedly low bar to clear considering how poorly the rest of his teammates played. He made his bacon in garbage time, pulling in four-of-five targets for 48 yards in the second half. Williams has been a bright spot for an otherwise desolate Miami offense, though he's still a tough sell as anything more than a deep-league bench stash. It don't get any easier for the struggling Dolphins, who have the Cowboys on tap in Week 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
He didn't out snap Parker but he's getting closer. Next week maybe after Parker put up another terrible effort. 

Scooby1974 said:
NE picked off 2 passes intended for Parker that resulted in pick 6's...come on, Fitz, clearly that dude doesn't WANT the ball bad enough. FEED THE UNICORN! :)
Actually, one of the pick six plays was the Ballage bobble. But Parker had 0 catches on 7 targets. He's not getting open, doesn't create separation. Preston is already a better WR than Parker. His usage went up yesterday due to Wilson being out. 

He didn't out snap Parker but he's getting closer. Next week maybe after Parker put up another terrible effort. 
I don't think he needs to outsnap him or Wilson, it's widely known he had the best camp and is the most talented of any WR on Miami's roster. 

The question is simply can he get enough targets to warrant starting? Let's look at it optimistic since I was a very pessimistic in my initial posts but I admitted he had the best training camp of any offensive player bar none. The fact is he dropped a perfect long ball that might have gone for a score or at least brought him from say 10 in PPR which you can find on the WW any Sunday but still...he is a rookie, snap count increasing, sooner or later he is going to bust through and have a big week, yes/no? And I think he has the only TD on the roster right now to boot. 

But be aware that the Miami goal of getting Tua with the #1 overall pick and openly tanking and losing football games, players openly saying they are not being utilized correctly and wanting to leave, those are not things you hear on other NFL teams. So I would at least take that into consideration. 

But you add in the deep drop and he suddenly has 5/100 and many people are chiming n today "We told you so" but the reality is you're not far off. I just don't see a sustained offense of any kind, lots of 3 n outs and turnovers and that limits a lot of what he can be expected to produce. 

I picked him up, and will be starting him over Robby Anderson this week, who will probably be seeing Gilmore in coverage. I also don't see NE giving up quite as many garbage yards as Cleveland did. That being said, it will probably backfire on me, but due to injuries, I am the underdog this week and decided to go with potential.

glad to be 100% invested on this guy. finally pryed him away from his owner for a projected low 2020 2nd 

4/4 invested!

glad to be 100% invested on this guy. finally pryed him away from his owner for a projected low 2020 2nd 

4/4 invested!
Just be patient with him. He's flashing like crazy on tape. Looks amazing. Just needs time to develop and needs a QB. Both coming next year. 

Just be patient with him. He's flashing like crazy on tape. Looks amazing. Just needs time to develop and needs a QB. Both coming next year. 
I have no need for him immediately on any of my teams except 1, but hes on my taxi squad there. thought I'd never get him in the league I just traded for him. stoked to have this guy everywhere. 2020 could be a huge year

My starting group in week 1 in one league at WR was...... TYREEK HILL, JUJU SMITH-SCHUSTER and ANTHONY MILLER.   All three were injured in week 1 or banged up going in, with JuJu coming back "gimpy" and now without  Big Ben, and Miller is currently droppable rubbish.

Suffice to say, after falling terribly desperate for WR, I snagged Williams in that one league.

I don't know if I can "confidently" start him over DJ CHARK , or EDELMAN , but I'm seriously thinking about firing him up over Chark tonight.

So all of the above got me to doing some digging. Why are people so high on this guy? 

I found this  on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mmUrpehhgA

Check him out fighting for yardage in the play at :36 seconds.

Also check out the "my ball mentality" he displays in the play at 3:35.   Then have a look at the one handed play he makes in the play at 4:05.

Its easy to see why guys are fans of Preston Williams.  He has the "it factor".

The play he makes at 9:00 is a wild one, where the ball virtually disappears (look very carefully) and then look at the catch he makes there.

I'm needing a big night tonight, and I'm really thinking about slipping Williams in over DJ Chark.

Point is, from what I see, the DOLPHINS are cutting most anyone and everyone loose, yet there has been no talk of moving this guy. (Understandable, what could they get for him at this point realistically anyway)

I can see where they may start feeding this guy the ball, and he could possibly give surprising numbers to owners this year if things fell right, but its just not an elite offense (err, TEAM ).  I could see a scenario where he gives high end WR3-ish type numbers (or low end WR2), with the occasional blow up game...but it certainly looks like next year will be the year to own him, not 2019.

TZM

Based on Clay's matchup cheatsheet... Williams will have a easier time against the LAC and after then the bye he could go HAM against WAS.   

Based on Clay's matchup cheatsheet... Williams will have a easier time against the LAC and after then the bye he could go HAM against WAS.   
Where do you get Clay's matchup cheatsheet? Is that Mike Clay of ESPN/PFF?

It could build on itself too. If he has a blowup game he could turn into Miami's only bright spot. They will be looking for anything to generate hope with their fanbase this season. 

I'm in a 16-team league in Miami and Preston is still available. I almost picked him with my last draft pick, but I have 2 other WRs with the same bye, week 5. There's no faith in the offense by Dolphans, but the schedule gets easier, defensively, after the bye. It's time to pull the trigger. 

had a gift card so this is my first time with the plus... CB/WR matchup sheet is the only thing I'll really miss... their website is atrocious.  
Thanks for that info. Sounds like a good sheet. I was wondering because PFF Edge gave me a "come back" deal and I was wondering how it was. But I really digress. Williams can light it up after the bye, huh? 

As bad as the Dolphins are, they are going to start scoring some points soon - and most likely through the air. Whether that translates into fantasy goodness for Williams remains to be seen, but have to think he's got a much better chance to produce than Parker. Wilson is still a wildcard, but he may still be a few weeks away.

Maybe the inevitable switch to Rosen will help - can't be any worse.

Thanks for that info. Sounds like a good sheet. I was wondering because PFF Edge gave me a "come back" deal and I was wondering how it was. But I really digress. Williams can light it up after the bye, huh? 
you know on yahoo where you can see the opponents and they're color coded for matchups... this is broken down and ranked by L R and slot defense and shows the matchup.  

TBH the raw data is what I really want.   Please talk to me about PFF Edge.  

Also to bring it back on topic Clay says Preston lines up on the left.. Dal is ranked 21st easiest against the LWR   WAS is 7th easiest.  

PIT is the worst against the slot which is why they ponied up a first etc... for Minkah.   

We're in uncharted territory with 3 TD point spreads. It should lead to garbage time points, like in the BAL game. Plus the switch to Rosen, likely after the bye, is good and bad. He'll get sacked more that Fitzpatrick, but has a better arm. 

Hindsight. With Michel last week there was a history,  as Michel did well in 2018 vs Miami. That would've been a good benchmark for last week's game. My bad for not pointing it out in the Michel thread. But with the unicorn, and a historically bad team, I'm not sure what historical comp to use.

As bad as the Dolphins are, they are going to start scoring some points soon - and most likely through the air. Whether that translates into fantasy goodness for Williams remains to be seen, but have to think he's got a much better chance to produce than Parker. Wilson is still a wildcard, but he may still be a few weeks away.

Maybe the inevitable switch to Rosen will help - can't be any worse.
They just got a bagel on a 1:00 home game in September, 43-0 after getting blown out from the previous week 59-10 at home and didn't score a single point in the 2nd half during garbage time. 

You think it will get better on the road in Dallas this week?

We're in uncharted territory with 3 TD point spreads. It should lead to garbage time points, like in the BAL game. Plus the switch to Rosen, likely after the bye, is good and bad. He'll get sacked more that Fitzpatrick, but has a better arm. 

Hindsight. With Michel last week there was a history,  as Michel did well in 2018 vs Miami. That would've been a good benchmark for last week's game. My bad for not pointing it out in the Michel thread. But with the unicorn, and a historically bad team, I'm not sure what historical comp to use.
When did that happen?

They just got a bagel on a 1:00 home game in September, 43-0 after getting blown out from the previous week 59-10 at home and didn't score a single point in the 2nd half during garbage time. 

You think it will get better on the road in Dallas this week?
I figure a blind squirrel will find a nut some time. Maybe not this week, but it'll happen.

I figure a blind squirrel will find a nut some time. Maybe not this week, but it'll happen.
He's on my watch list, this group of dedicated fans has swayed me some. It's hard to argue against, when in a total #### storm this guy did score the only TD they got, then last week 4/63 isn't much but in PPR it at least isn't a complete zero. 

He went from UDFA to basically Miami's #1 WR in one training camp. That should get you excited no matter what team he plays on. 

Our unicorn has an aDOT of around 15.17, putting him 22nd in the NFL. He runs deeper routes, and his catch rate suffers a bit. Twelve targets, seven catches, one drop. 

Just figured I'd throw out some numbers. Not bad, all told. 

I just hope he stays happy through the next year or two on this squad. Not a lot of winning ahead but if they draft well in the next 2 years and he stays healthy/positive...

I'm just not a fan of Mike Williams.  I don't mind the idea behind the trade, I disagree with the valuation of it.  
I like Mike, but would probably not pay a 20201st straight up for him unless I knew for sure it was 11-12. Adding Preston for me is the same as adding a mid-2nd. That's pretty rich for Mike Williams IMHO.... I don't consider him a reliable enough WR to offer a 1st and 2nd to obtain. I'd want someone a bit more established at that cost.

Users who are viewing this thread