What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Preston Williams, MIA (1 Viewer)

Getting trashed on Miami forum for too many drops.
I believe he's dropped at least 1 or 2 TD passes as well, but I could be wrong. 

You can look at that both ways. It means he could see his snap count reduced. It also means that his current stat line could easily be better and his ownership/hype right now would be way higher. Parker dropped an easy one this week too so luckily his competition sucks, and at least Preston is getting open. 

Hopefully Rosen stays healthy, he seems to have better chemistry with The Unicorn. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Two of those so called drops were great plays by the DB. One the safety came over and crushed PW while he was falling backwards to the ground. This dislodged the ball. The other play the DB pulled the ball out of his hand at the very last second. He had made the catch on both plays. The defensive players just made great plays. 

I picked him up, and will be starting him over Robby Anderson this week, who will probably be seeing Gilmore in coverage. I also don't see NE giving up quite as many garbage yards as Cleveland did. That being said, it will probably backfire on me, but due to injuries, I am the underdog this week and decided to go with potential.
This worked out, and helped me to a win. I'll hold on to him based on targets and missed opportunities that eventually should translate to more production.

Two of those so called drops were great plays by the DB. One the safety came over and crushed PW while he was falling backwards to the ground. This dislodged the ball. The other play the DB pulled the ball out of his hand at the very last second. He had made the catch on both plays. The defensive players just made great plays. 
No, if he made those catches they would have been touchdowns and added to his stats. 

But I hear you, maybe Flores should have challenged. Wonder why he didn't challenge when the game was still in the balance?

wrong sport. we want him to catch it not dodge it
If you can dodge a wrench, you can catch a football...

Seriously, though, watched him. It seems like he catches the ball against his body, or at least like there's a lot of upper body in his catches. We'll see how that plays out down the line. I'm pulling for him, as I have him in a league...

No, if he made those catches they would have been touchdowns and added to his stats. 

But I hear you, maybe Flores should have challenged. Wonder why he didn't challenge when the game was still in the balance?
Well it's not a drop. It's a great defensive play. 

I assume the point was he didn’t Nelson Agholor it- aka drop it with no one around. He lost those ones through contact. They still need to be catches but not as bad. I do think I recall him Agholor-ing a long ball week 2. Anyways I added him in dynasty almost entirely because of this thread and am thrilled with what I’m seeing. 

Hype train is picking up momentum.  Better get on board now! 

What would it take for you to trade him? 
Hmmmmm that's a good question. Situation matters. I'm a win now team so I would trade him for like Tyrell Williams/Courtland Sutton level player myself. I think he's probably a year away from really hitting but I could also see him getting hot the 2nd half of this season. 

Hmmmmm that's a good question. Situation matters. I'm a win now team so I would trade him for like Tyrell Williams/Courtland Sutton level player myself. I think he's probably a year away from really hitting but I could also see him getting hot the 2nd half of this season. 
Yeah that's close to what I'm thinking. Somewhere between an early 2020 2nd (Sutton) and a late 2020 2nd (Williams)? 

The drops suck, but at this point, the dolphins don’t have any choice but to throw to him. It sucks for his stats, but I don’t expect it to affect playing time at all.

It sounds like you might be saying late 2020 first.  Or one of those magical value players who are worth more than a second but less than a first. 

It sounds like you might be saying late 2020 first.  Or one of those magical value players who are worth more than a second but less than a first. 
Yeah I wouldn't move him for a late 1st in 2020 if I'm rebuilding. He's worth more than that because he's already hit in my mind. I'd trade him for a lower rated player I could comfortably start this year if I was trying to win. 

The drops suck, but at this point, the dolphins don’t have any choice but to throw to him. It sucks for his stats, but I don’t expect it to affect playing time at all.
The concern is the drops continue and it lands him on the bench before he truly develops. I understand the cupboard is bare there in Miami but they are still waiting for their best receiver to get healthy (Albert Wilson). Unicorn needs to start putting it together soon or his snap count will plummet once everyone is healthy.

The concern is the drops continue and it lands him on the bench before he truly develops. I understand the cupboard is bare there in Miami but they are still waiting for their best receiver to get healthy (Albert Wilson). Unicorn needs to start putting it together soon or his snap count will plummet once everyone is healthy.
How many drops is he being credited with? 

I'm seeing 2.......I also see Parker with 2 drops and a lower catch rate. If anybody is getting benched it's going to be Parker. 

Preston Williams starting spot is very safe this year because of two things. He's better than Parker the other starting WR. The Dolphins aren't trying to win so developing PW should be one of the priorities. 

Tempted to go after him this week, but with a matchup against the LAC secondary this week and a bye next week he may be better left on the wire.

That said, I could see Rosen and this guy getting in a groove end of season and helping teams significantly. MIA's end of season schedule is delish: PHI, @@NYJ, @NYG, CIN. A bunch of horrible secondaries.

I don't think you can get a late 2020 1st for him.  

You definitely can't in a two copy 24-team SF I'm in, I tested that market :)
I would give a late 1st for Sutton in a flash.  And I'd give Preston for him too.  A top-10 1st for Williams is about right, so those stacked 16 man rosters would have to come up with quite a bit more than 2020 1st.

Now that waivers are locked and in process, if I may speak freely...

MF1, PressTon, and Deebleezee are the three most impressive rookie WR in this class, IMO, by far. While the tide chases Hollywood, the bigger catches continue to circle wide and unnoticed.

2/3 for me, only because of limited rosters and personal aversion to redraft rookie WR. And of the three, Preston has the most upside beyond 2019, again IMO.

Now that waivers are locked and in process, if I may speak freely...

MF1, PressTon, and Deebleezee are the three most impressive rookie WR in this class, IMO, by far. While the tide chases Hollywood, the bigger catches continue to circle wide and unnoticed.

2/3 for me, only because of limited rosters and personal aversion to redraft rookie WR. And of the three, Preston has the most upside beyond 2019, again IMO.
I get the middle one, but who are the others? DK? And who?

PFF Rankings: Highest-graded rookies in the NFL through Week 3

Excerpt:

10. WR PRESTON WILLIAMS, MIAMI DOLPHINS – 71.3

Not only has undrafted free agent Preston Williams been one of the top rookies through three weeks of play, but he’s been the best Dolphin in their offense overall. Moreover, no other receiver has been targeted more in Miami’s lackluster offense than Williams with 22 targets. With being responsible for five explosive plays, Williams seems to be the only member of the Dolphins to generate anything positive. A vast majority of Williams’ targets have come in tight separation situations, and he has thrived in those with the 15th-highest receiving grade (among 100 qualifying receivers) at 76.7.

I never know what to do with these guys in dynasty once they hit to this degree.  Am I figuratively holding Stefon Diggs here, or am I holding Terrelle Pryor?  

What I'll probably do is sell in some of my dynasty leagues and hold in the ones where owners don't want to pay top dollar. 

Top dollar seems like a mid 2020 1st and rising right now. 

Interesting - sometimes stats don’t tell the real story. Many assume that his low reception to target % indicates he’s dropping balls left and right - and he has dropped a few - but mainly is getting low quality chances.
It also sounds like maybe he isn't separating very well?  That wouldn't be too unexpected for his style. 

From what I’ve been reading, he is separating - hence the greater number of targets than Parker.
But many of his targets are coming in tight separation? Does that mean he is getting separation, but the throw is bad, so by the time he is making the catch it is contested? 

I suspect like most things its some of both.  Preston isn't probably going to be a guy who gets huge separation, but he can catch in traffic.  More of an Alshon/Boldin/Dez than a Julio Jones.

Users who are viewing this thread