What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

8 police officers surround black student while picking up trash where he lives in Colorado (1 Viewer)

Did the cop just roll up and decide he shouldn't be there? Did someone call the cops about a "suspicious" person? 
That's what it seems like.  Which is bad by itself.  But when the dude produces his student ID and explains he lives there and is clearly picking up trash with a white bucket and trash picker upper, that should have been the end of it.  It doesn't take a genius to figure out he clearly had a tool for picking up garbage.  On a Friday morning, no less.

Instead, he calls for backup and 7 more police officers show up.  Ridiculous.  And at that point, they still could have defused the situation and realized that he does indeed live there and just apologized and gone home and instead they refused to move for 15 minutes until someone from the university showed up to verify. 

And I KNOW that this doesn't happen if that guy is white.

I didn't bother watching the video. Sounds like a dumb situation.

It's a shame that some cops are subconsciously prejudice against a black man. 

I guess years on the force will do that to you ... even for a black cop. 

You'd think Colorado would be less so ... but I guess not.

Pretty sure the dbag wielding the camera phone and screaming from the safety of the apartment is the real criminal here.
He had a serious role to play.  I think people are discounting how the officer might have felt about some lunatic screaming at him from behind while he was dealing with the situation.  It clearly made him nervous and agitated him.  I doubt the officer calls for backup if he’s not there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two guys yelling at the cops and one of them being erratic and noncompliant.  Why is this news?

He had a serious role to play.  I think people are discounting how the officer might have felt about some lunatic screaming at him from behind while he was dealing with the situation.  It clearly made him nervous and agitated him.  I doubt the officer calls for backup if he’s not there.
Then again, if he's not there and making his presence clear, who knows what else could have hypothetically happened. Much worse has happened in similar situations. 

Black people should just drop flat to the ground and place thier hands behind their head the minute a cop looks at them. Every time. 

Itr's not like they have inaliable rights or anything. 

I love how its always on the non trained black citizen to properly manage the cops behavior. 
The cop holding his student ID while the black citizen argues he goes to school here and is allowed to be here.  

Utterly ridiculous.

The cop holding his student ID while the black citizen argues he goes to school here and is allowed to be here.  

Utterly ridiculous.
Yep.  He even pointed out that THEY should be the ones to leave when he asked them to get off his property. 

I still don't understand what the probable cause was to even approach him and ask him for his ID anyway.  That's what police states do.  Not here.  What would they have done if he turned around and walked back into his home? 

Yep.  He even pointed out that THEY should be the ones to leave when he asked them to get off his property. 

I still don't understand what the probably cause was to even approach him and ask him for his ID anyway.  That's what police states do.  Not here.  What would they have done if he turned around and walked back into his home? 
I have a few guesses.

Most involve officers calling out "Stop Resisting!"

Two guys yelling at the cops and one of them being erratic and noncompliant.  Why is this news?
Start before that point.

White officer asking a black person cleaning up his yard for ID.  Still wonder why that's news? 

And, on top of that, after ID is produced (which he didn't need to do since clearly no crime being committed under than being really tan), officer doesn't say sorry and leave but instead calls for backup. 

Black people should just drop flat to the ground and place thier hands behind their head the minute a cop looks at them. Every time. 

I love how its always on the non trained black citizen to properly manage the cops behavior. 
He and his friend were screaming and cussing at the officers for several minutes.  That's dumb for ANY person to do.

EYLive said:
You're either very slow or trolling. Either way, be better.
If an officer asks you to drop something, you do it.  That's being compliant.  Walking around in an erratic manner is not the best thing to do.

EYLive said:
You're either very slow or trolling. Either way, be better.
I don't think he is trolling.  The behaviors did not help.  

He was told about 10000000000000 times to put it down.  Put it down.  That simple.  Yelling at cops through a window, not helping. Etc.

Situation should not have happened, but regardless.. when the cops come you need to chill and do what they say.  Live to fight another day.

Why are 8 police officers harassing a law-abiding citizen and trespassing on his property? Are they in compliance? They have their hands on their guns, if the student put his hand on his hip they would have called it a threatening gesture and emptied their clips into him. Why are these idiots surrounding one guy? Slow day at work?

I get standing up for your rights but at some point self preservation should kick in. You know cops have shot black men for less. Why give them a reason? It doesn't matter what will happen to them afterwards if you end up dead. Abide with them then take the film to your lawyer after they are gone and have a field day. Don't risk your life.

I get standing up for your rights but at some point self preservation should kick in. You know cops have shot black men for less. Why give them a reason? It doesn't matter what will happen to them afterwards if you end up dead. Abide with them then take the film to your lawyer after they are gone and have a field day. Don't risk your life.
ugh

Why are 8 police officers harassing a law-abiding citizen and trespassing on his property? Are they in compliance? They have their hands on their guns, if the student put his hand on his hip they would have called it a threatening gesture and emptied their clips into him. Why are these idiots surrounding one guy? Slow day at work?
I would think after the Jussie Smollett story people would let all of the facts come out first.

Jackstraw said:

Noone said anything close to what you posted.

This is why non liberals don't really care for liberals, right here.

And exactly how much training do you have to have to know enough to drop something if an officer tells you to drop it?

Noone said anything close to what you posted.

This is why non liberals don't really care for liberals, right here.

And exactly how much training do you have to have to know enough to drop something if an officer tells you to drop it?
About the same amount of training it takes for an officer to see a trash picker upper and a bucket isn't a weapon.

That officer had his ID by the time the video started (since he finally gave it back at the very end).  That means, before the filming, that he had to stand right next to him when he handed his ID over and see that he clearly wasn't any threat. 

As an officer, he has to be able to look at the situation and see a guy with a white bucket and trash clamp who says he lives there is exactly that.  There is no reason to detain him any further or investigate anything further at that point (considering he wasn't arrested or fined at the end of the encounter). 

But, if you've done nothing wrong, then why not just give up your rights, correct?

I would think after the Jussie Smollett story people would let all of the facts come out first.
You mean like having the Police Chief issue the department's side of things?

[Chief] Testa said the man police confronted did nothing wrong or unlawful. He also confirmed that one officer drew his gun, though he said the officer pointed it at the ground. Based on preliminary information, other officers also wielded a less-lethal shotgun and a shield, he said.

Liberty in case you've forgotten, is the soul's right to breathe, if it cannot take a long breath laws are girded too tight.  Without liberty, man is a syncope.
Syncope? That's honestly one of the first few times on this board I've had to go hunting to find a definition. 

And you're using it wrong.  

I think he may have borrowed that.
Yeahhhh, I was going to ask him where he got that or I was gonna type it into Google. Instead, I just decided to go for light-hearted and lazy, that's all.  

eta* Oh, #### sake's. Good Will ####### Hunting. What is it with Tanner and Good Will Hunting?  

Yeahhhh, I was going to ask him where he got that or I was gonna type it into Google. Instead, I just decided to go for light-hearted and lazy, that's all.  

eta* Oh, #### sake's. Good Will ####### Hunting. What is it with Tanner and Good Will Hunting?  
I think you're confused.  That was Officer Pete Malloy.

I think you may have misread the reports on this.  One has his gun drawn and one had a shotgun.
I actually havent read any reports. I tried to watch that video in the OP but the camera was annoying and I heard the guy filming say 3 times in the first 30 seconds that "he has his hand on his gun". So I got about 35 seconds in.

After fighting thru the video I don't see how that cop stays on the job.  Just kept doubling down on the errors in judgement. 

There were tons of chances to de-escalate that situation.  
Should only be allowed to carry a wooden gun for a couple years.

About the same amount of training it takes for an officer to see a trash picker upper and a bucket isn't a weapon.

That officer had his ID by the time the video started (since he finally gave it back at the very end).  That means, before the filming, that he had to stand right next to him when he handed his ID over and see that he clearly wasn't any threat. 

As an officer, he has to be able to look at the situation and see a guy with a white bucket and trash clamp who says he lives there is exactly that.  There is no reason to detain him any further or investigate anything further at that point (considering he wasn't arrested or fined at the end of the encounter). 

But, if you've done nothing wrong, then why not just give up your rights, correct?
 I watched 2 mins of the video, im not watching it for 16 minutes. 

The guy in the yard shouting " no! I'm not doing what you tell me to do until you drop your gun" isn't very smart. Imo

And the guy with the camera was not helping. At all 

And dropping what is in your hand when an officer tells you to is not "giving up your rights". Imo

Stupid does not discriminate based on job type.

At a minimum, you should be able to get a Kramer like payday. https://youtu.be/IN6cJ_wGmsk?t=129

After fighting thru the video I don't see how that cop stays on the job.  Just kept doubling down on the errors in judgement. 

There were tons of chances to de-escalate that situation.  
It's almost as if you're suggesting some cops are not very intelligent.

I watched 2 mins of the video, im not watching it for 16 minutes. 

The guy in the yard shouting " no! I'm not doing what you tell me to do until you drop your gun" isn't very smart. Imo

And the guy with the camera was not helping. At all 

And dropping what is in your hand when an officer tells you to is not "giving up your rights". Imo
Fair.

Also fair.

More than fair.

It is if the officer is engaged in an unconstitutional detention at the time.  Imo.

Users who are viewing this thread