What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

8 police officers surround black student while picking up trash where he lives in Colorado (1 Viewer)

Which is confusing.

I'll go out on a limb and say there is no video if the kid simply complies.
100% agree.  What's confusing?

If the kid complies, it was still completely inappropriate to be approached/detained by the police in the first place.  You're appearing really tone deaf about the problem here.

In the face of several white posters saying they have had "the talk", you direct them back to an internet link that says it for black people only?  wtf man.
Read carefully. He said I'm making stuff up. I'm not and showed why I'm not.

And it says "almost exclusively". That doesn't mean that non-blacks cant have the talk. It just means it's far less common. 

100% agree.  What's confusing?

If the kid complies, it was still completely inappropriate to be approached/detained by the police in the first place.  You're appearing really tone deaf about the problem here.
You don't know that.

Your fall back in this thread has been assumptions about what isn't on the video.  Weird.  Dare I say tone deaf?

So just ignoring the part where I address it. Cool.

Guilty of these fishing excursions in my past as well.  :thumbup:
You mean I ignored this part?

I would assume at some point between these stops you would seek other avenues to address the situation.
I'm comparing you to a robot, because your statements do not consider reality, or human nature.  There are LOTS of people doing what you suggested, trying to address this situation outside of an actual confrontation with the police and it has clearly not moved the needle.  But no matter how far reaching these inhumane actions get you seem to be suggesting that anger, frustration, and despair should be sequestered and controlled in order to show respect for those individuals who clearly lack the same respect for you, who are not reciprocating that same control over their own actions, who have the power to ruin the rest of your life, or worse who can take life from you, with little to no repercussions on their end.  Easy to do if you're a robot, not so easy if you're human.    

White families have that conversation too.  You are just making stuff up at this point.
White families might have this conversation NOW.   My parents didn't talk about this stuff with me 25-30 years ago.  Black parents have been talking about this #### with their kids for a long, long time......well over 50 years, hell, probably for 150+ years.

Ive had this conversation with my kids.   Multiple times.   I've personally demonstrated it with my son when I got pulled over a year ago (for a "rolling stop" - what a load of ####).   Anyway, I was super calm, didn't make any sudden movements, didn't reach into the glove compartment for my proof of insurance until the officer said it was ok, etc.

When my son asked why I was doing all this I said "because I don't want to freak out a police officer who has a gun.  I want this to feel safe for him and for me."

Note:   The guy didn't walk up to my car with his gun drawn.  At no time was I in any danger.  He seemed calm.  Wonder why?   Guessing that race plays a role....

But as someone else noted, I don't deal with this #### every day, every week, every month........

White families might have this conversation NOW.   My parents didn't talk about this stuff with me 25-30 years ago.  Black parents have been talking about this #### with their kids for a long, long time......well over 50 years, hell, probably for 150+ years.

Ive had this conversation with my kids.   Multiple times.   I've personally demonstrated it with my son when I got pulled over a year ago (for a "rolling stop" - what a load of ####).   Anyway, I was super calm, didn't make any sudden movements, didn't reach into the glove compartment for my proof of insurance until the officer said it was ok, etc.

When my son asked why I was doing all this I said "because I don't want to freak out a police officer who has a gun.  I want this to feel safe for him and for me."

Note:   The guy didn't walk up to my car with his gun drawn.  At no time was I in any danger.  He seemed calm.  Wonder why?   Guessing that race plays a role....

But as someone else noted, I don't deal with this #### every day, every week, every month........
My dad did.  He got his ### kicked by a cop for jerking him around and generally being a #####.  Obviously, the cop was in the wrong, but better to not put yourself in that situation to begin with.  It was a lesson I took well.

Last edited by a moderator:

:lmao:  race had nothing to do with it.  You were courteous, compliant, and did everything you could to make the officer not worry about a threat to his safety.  

:lmao:  race had nothing to do with it.  You were courteous, compliant, and did everything you could to make the officer not worry about a threat to his safety.  
Because courtesy, compliant minorities never have any issues.  Time to take your head out of the sand people.

Because courtesy, compliant minorities never have any issues.  Time to take your head out of the sand people.
There are thousands of police-civilian interactions each day.  Sometimes there are issues with courteous, compliant people of all races.  

Based on the video, yes, the student probably should've complied.  Only to de-escalate the situation and to preserve life.  Because who knows what the eight officers are going to do to him.  They've already surrounded him, drawn guns, and continue to escalate the situation.  Live to see another day.

But the bigger issue is that he shouldn't have been in a situation where he needed to comply.  I'm assuming (yes, an assumption) that the student was really just picking up trash.  Absolutely no need for the officer to stop and check things out. 

If there's more to the situation, as in probable cause, where's the officer's/department's statement about that? 

I found it funny when the student finally did put the trash clamper down, how one of the officer's had to pull it away.  Like it was some deadly weapon.

Why would anyone want to be a cop these days? Only going to get worse and worse as more time passes.  As in, both worse citizens and worse cops.
I find any profession has multiple different motivations for joining, depending on the person.

What do you suppose are some of the motivations police officers are known for having?

If black people simply start throwing down their arms and being totally compliant EVERY time in EVERY situation... would that change the long-term behavior of cops toward black people?
That's a good question.  We should look back in history and see if there was a time when black people did as they were told by white people and see how authorities treated them in this country.

Nothing snarky about it.  You did not answer either questions in those posts above.

None of this has ANYTHING to do with my basic and simple position.  I am well aware of historical injustices with minorities.  Irrelevant.

50 stops.  Comply.  100 stops. Comply.

I would assume at some point between these stops you would seek other avenues to address the situation.  THIS is the time and place for all this stuff you are writing a thesis about.  NOT when you are being pulled over or detained.

During that stop?  During the 500th stop?  You comply.  There is no scenario where you win resisting.  There is no upside.  And this has nothing to do with your skin color.
So what do you think people should do to address this? Between stops?  And if none of that works, what then?

Not being able to get a better job.  Location dependent of course
That's a tough sell.  In places with a low number of jobs, police make very little money.  In places where they make a good living, there are usually lots of jobs.

Unless "better" has something to do with the job itself, not the pay.  Do you think there's something about being a police officer that some people particularly like?  Power and authority, perhaps?

And guess what... even when black men comply with officers... SOME STILL GET SHOT. 
THERE ARE VIDEOS OF CALM BLACK MEN GETTING SHOT TO DEATH BY POLICE.

That's a tough sell.  In places with a low number of jobs, police make very little money.  In places where they make a good living, there are usually lots of jobs.

Unless "better" has something to do with the job itself, not the pay.  Do you think there's something about being a police officer that some people particularly like?  Power and authority, perhaps?
I think it is pretty obvious that just cause a job pays more doesn't make it better.

Do some go into law enforcement cause they are on a power trip?  Well duh, yeah.

I think it is pretty obvious that just cause a nob pays more doesn't make it better.

Do some go into law enforcement cause they are on a power trip?  Well duh, yeah.
I'm just saying yes, the less we have a reasonable relationship between the police and citizens, much like the less we have a reasonable relationship between teachers and the community, the more people are going to join that vocation solely because of the ability to use and abuse authority and not to actually help people.

And guess what... even when black men comply with officers... SOME STILL GET SHOT. 
Didn't a group of officers recently wake up a sleeping guy in a car to put 24 bullets in him or something?

Side note, a cop was killed in Illinois yesterday serving a warrant.

When they go to work every single day this kind of thing is on their minds.  Every traffic stop.  Every person that approaches them in a sudden way.

So I tend to give these guys a little leeway in situations where someone is acting like an entitled #####.

If they say drop what's in your hand, drop what's in your hand.  People have this attitude that when being told what to do by the police that "why" is an acceptable response.

I'm just saying yes, the less we have a reasonable relationship between the police and citizens, much like the less we have a reasonable relationship between teachers and the community, the more people are going to join that vocation solely because of the ability to use and abuse authority and not to actually help people.
Absolutely.  Teachers are criminally underpaid.  Some great people want to be teachers but they don't think the piddly pay is worth it for them.  Not to mention the job is becoming harder and harder in this society.

It's all going downhill and it sucks.

Is there a stat somewhere that shows how many cops have been killed in the line of duty but whites, blacks, other...........

I am genuinely interested

Absolutely.  Teachers are criminally underpaid.  Some great people want to be teachers but they don't think the piddly pay is worth it for them.  Not to mention the job is becoming harder and harder in this society.

It's all going downhill and it sucks.
They were willing to do it for low pay when there was tenure, great benefits, and society didn't treat them like the enemy.  Now?  I don't see the carrot, and you can only hit someone with a stick so many times before they won't take it any more.

Side note, a cop was killed in Illinois yesterday serving a warrant.

When they go to work every single day this kind of thing is on their minds.  Every traffic stop.  Every person that approaches them in a sudden way.

So I tend to give these guys a little leeway in situations where someone is acting like an entitled #####.

If they say drop what's in your hand, drop what's in your hand.  People have this attitude that when being told what to do by the police that "why" is an acceptable response.
You can replace "cop" with "black man" in your first 2 paragraphs and it would be just as accurate.

Let's say a crazy person called the police on a white student picking g up trash. How many police would have responded? Same? More? Less?

Didn't a group of officers recently wake up a sleeping guy in a car to put 24 bullets in him or something?
I honestly can't keep up with all the incidents around the country. So I copied & pasted "a group of officers recently wake up a sleeping guy in a car to put 24 bullets" into Google and sure enough it yielded tons of news reports about 6 cops shooting 25 bullets within 4 seconds at black man asleep in his car at a Taco Bell in Vallejo, CA. :(  

I honestly can't keep up with all the incidents around the country. So I copied & pasted "a group of officers recently wake up a sleeping guy in a car to put 24 bullets" into Google and sure enough it yielded tons of news reports about 6 cops shooting 25 bullets within 4 seconds at black man asleep in his car in Taco Bell in Vallejo, CA. :(  
Whoops.  Sorry, 25.

I honestly can't keep up with all the incidents around the country. So I copied & pasted "a group of officers recently wake up a sleeping guy in a car to put 24 bullets" into Google and sure enough it yielded tons of news reports about 6 cops shooting 25 bullets within 4 seconds at black man asleep in his car in Taco Bell in Vallejo, CA. :(  
It was in the drive-thru though, right?  Doesn't excuse the excessive force, but a little different than just asleep in the parking lot.

I honestly can't keep up with all the incidents around the country. So I copied & pasted "a group of officers recently wake up a sleeping guy in a car to put 24 bullets" into Google and sure enough it yielded tons of news reports about 6 cops shooting 25 bullets within 4 seconds at black man asleep in his car at a Taco Bell in Vallejo, CA. :(  
He had a gun in his lap and when he woke up he grabbed it.

The lesson here is, don’t get in a drive-thru line with a gun in your lap.

:bag:  sorry, couldn't resist.

(because I don't want to get shot)

:bag:  sorry again.
I don’t have video, but the police had video and audio to back them up.  No one seems to be disputing what happened.  Some in the community still feel the police acted too rashly though.

I don’t have video, but the police had video and audio to back them up.
There was video of the actual shooting, I don't believe body cam footage was released.  And there are certainly discussion points to be made about how things happened regardless.  But no, I have no reason to doubt that he had a handgun in his lap while being awakened.

4 pages of white people complaining about how bad minorities are treated.

Impressive.

Race topics.  Almost as fun as political topics.
I'm not white, black or middle-aged. But I think the topic is important to discuss (however poorly).

4 pages of white people complaining about how bad minorities are treated.

Impressive.

Race topics.  Almost as fun as political topics.
What do you suggest we do just ignore the issue?  Or should we just stick with real life issues like rude people not swapping seats on airplanes to allow us to sit with our families?  I guess that's more relatable to white people than this. 

What do you suggest we do just ignore the issue?  Or should we just stick with real life issues like rude people not swapping seats on airplanes to allow us to sit with our families?  I guess that's more relatable to white people than this. 
No.  Keep doing this.  You white people are just days away from solving minority's issues. 

No.  Keep doing this.  You white people are just days away from solving minority's issues. 
How many pages of The Iron Sheik complaining about white people complaining about racial injustice until the thread collapses in on itself and opens an anti-matter wormhole that can destroy the universe?

How many pages of The Iron Sheik complaining about white people complaining about racial injustice until the thread collapses in on itself and opens an anti-matter wormhole that can destroy the universe?
Let me tell you something.  There's not enough free space on the internet to contain all my complaining about white people.  For example: Pumpkin Latte?  C'mon.  

I'm white.  I've never had a conversation with my parents about how I need to act if I get pulled over or how to interact with a policeman. I don't plan on having that conversation with my kids.

Black families have that conversation. Because, for them, it could be a matter of life and death. And the discussion, from what I've learned, involves teaching them to be as compliant as possible. And most are. Because for every video like this we see, there are countless incidents of profiling/racism that don't get videoed and don't end in violence but still shouldn't have taken place. It's something black people live with THEIR ENTIRE LIVES. 

And yet it still happens. It's not going to get fixed by just saying "just follow orders". "Be compliant". "You have nothing to worry about if you're not doing anything wrong".

It takes incidents like this to make some people realize the problem exists and to make changes. Most of us here are white middle aged men who won't ever have a true understanding of what it's like. Yet we are just as responsible as that officer when we don't try to learn about it and try and help change the attitude. 

This is why you should stop embarrassing yourself.

As the only white boy growing up I’m letting you know you sound like an idiot to the people you’re attempting to help. 

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
This is why you should stop embarrassing yourself.

As the only white boy growing up I’m letting you know you sound like an idiot to the people you’re attempting to help. 
He is the type of person who actually is making the racial divide in this country worse.  His repeated auto response will just make people less sympathetic.  

Dedfin said:
Let's say a crazy person called the police on a white student picking g up trash. How many police would have responded? Same? More? Less?
Depends. Does he start swearing and yelling at the first police officer that shows up and call him a murderer?

If I am a cop and I am interacting with somebody completely unhinged like that, and he tells me he goes to a buddhist college, I am definitely skeptical of his story and I am going to ask more questions. If the guy becomes even more defensive and starts flailing about, yeah, I am going to be doing a little more than just taking his word for things. Maybe I am being judgmental, but when I think of a buddhist university, I think of a bunch of super nice hippies that all act like the kid in seven years in tibet and would create a system of transporting worms away as they plant their gardens. Weed is legal there too and they told me via airport loudspeaker they have 300 days of sunshine, so somebody that high strung has got to be up to something. 

Henry Ford said:
There was video of the actual shooting, I don't believe body cam footage was released.  And there are certainly discussion points to be made about how things happened regardless.  But no, I have no reason to doubt that he had a handgun in his lap while being awakened.
Then why didn't you include that in the first post about this story?

Users who are viewing this thread