What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drinkers - Why DO you drink? (1 Viewer)

Captain Cranks

Footballguy
This is for those who answered that they have an average of 10 drinks or more a week.  So what drives the need to consume on a regular basis?

- The need to de-stress?

- All aspects of life are more fun with a buzz?

- Trying to hide demons?

none of the above for me, really.  I enjoy the taste of rum and coke, and will typically drink two of those in the evenings.  I personally don't understand how drinking a liquid can allow you to de-stress...I guess getting drunk and forgetting about your worries for a while is a way to do it, but I hate the feeling of being drunk.  I just really enjoy the taste of a rum and coke.  

If I'm out at a restaurant, I will not order it, because they mix it too strong and it costs way too much.  I'll have a couple beers at dinner if I'm with coworkers, but beer makes me feel bloated after about 2 or 3 so I'm more of a "nurse my beer all night" kind of beer drinker. 

none of the above for me, really.  I enjoy the taste of rum and coke, and will typically drink two of those in the evenings.  I personally don't understand how drinking a liquid can allow you to de-stress...I guess getting drunk and forgetting about your worries for a while is a way to do it, but I hate the feeling of being drunk.  I just really enjoy the taste of a rum and coke.  

If I'm out at a restaurant, I will not order it, because they mix it too strong and it costs way too much.  I'll have a couple beers at dinner if I'm with coworkers, but beer makes me feel bloated after about 2 or 3 so I'm more of a "nurse my beer all night" kind of beer drinker. 
Wow.  While Rum and coke is my drink of choice too, I don't think I could comprehend disagreeing with as much about a post from a fellow rum and coke drinker.

Drinking a liquid allows you to de-stress since alcohol is a sedative, and it will by nature relax you.  I don't need to get drunk to de stress, if I have had a long day a couple of shots is enough to take the edge off and not feel the stress from the day.

I have never been to a restaraunt where they mix it too strong.  Please let me know where these places are.  Normally I can't even taste the rum, at which point I know i am getting ripped off.

Combination-  1.The taste...To me nothing tastes better on a hot day than a ice cold beer. 2. While drinking a couple of beers it totally takes the edge off me and I feel more relaxed.

De-stress

Like the feeling of a good buzz

Helps me dance

Excuse for not doing yard work, laundry, cleaning the bathrooms, vacuuming

I'm an introvert that likes to socialize (I'm comfortable sitting back and people-watching, and throwing in a funny jab here and there), so it helps me with participating in the conversations.

Wow.  While Rum and coke is my drink of choice too, I don't think I could comprehend disagreeing with as much about a post from a fellow rum and coke drinker.

Drinking a liquid allows you to de-stress since alcohol is a sedative, and it will by nature relax you.  I don't need to get drunk to de stress, if I have had a long day a couple of shots is enough to take the edge off and not feel the stress from the day.

I have never been to a restaraunt where they mix it too strong.  Please let me know where these places are.  Normally I can't even taste the rum, at which point I know i am getting ripped off.
I guess I like my rum and coke weaker than normal then, because most bars/restaurants around me (MS) will pour half rum then top it with coke.  And I prefer spiced rum (Sailor Jerry, Kraken, Capt Morgan, etc), as it adds a sweeter/caramel-ish flavor.  Most restaurants pour Bacardi (blech), and if you ask for spiced you get Myers (blech), or you pay $12-15 for the above which is too steep IMO. 

I get that alcohol is a sedative, but I guess I'm thinking of too many movies where the guy pours himself a scotch, takes a sip, and instantly there's a "ahhhhh that's better" reaction as if the stress of the day is magically lifted.  Fake news. 

I'm not drinking to de-stress (that's what the gym is for), and I'm not drinking to get drunk, I just genuinely enjoy the taste of (homemade) rum and coke.  

I'm also RC guy.  Normally have on average 3 nights a week and sometimes its a pint.  When I'm out normally I like to see what others are drinking first then go with RC or beer.  I do it to de-stress and forget about life for a while. ..

I guess I like my rum and coke weaker than normal then, because most bars/restaurants around me (MS) will pour half rum then top it with coke.  And I prefer spiced rum (Sailor Jerry, Kraken, Capt Morgan, etc), as it adds a sweeter/caramel-ish flavor.  Most restaurants pour Bacardi (blech), and if you ask for spiced you get Myers (blech), or you pay $12-15 for the above which is too steep IMO. 

I get that alcohol is a sedative, but I guess I'm thinking of too many movies where the guy pours himself a scotch, takes a sip, and instantly there's a "ahhhhh that's better" reaction as if the stress of the day is magically lifted.  Fake news. 

I'm not drinking to de-stress (that's what the gym is for), and I'm not drinking to get drunk, I just genuinely enjoy the taste of (homemade) rum and coke.  
That price is crazy for spiced, which I also prefer.  I order it as a Captain Coke and its just the same as any other drink. :shrug:  

Social drinker mostly.

Wine and whiskey at home and want to unwind a bit. Wife is wine collector so have plenty of supply and I have a few bottles of brown liquid.

Oddly only drink beer when out, never drink it at home. Can't remember last time I bought beer to bring home.

Flavor - wine, beer, spirits taste good

Education - for example, trying different beers lets me expand my palate and learn about what i like/don't like

Social - in my industry, having a drink (or two, or three) is more the norm than the exception...there's not much of a negative stigma involved

Effect - i'm a happy drunk

Motivation - a few drinks makes doing the mundane chores (cleaning, etc.) around the house more bearable

Golf - i'm better at the game between .08 and .13

Much like our Supreme Court, I like beer.

I like the taste.  I like the variety.  I like the nuances and differences between styles and brewers.  I like judging beer against what i think it should taste like.  Every now and then, I drink a beer that just hits the perfect spot of being flavorful yet clean,  refreshing yet stubstantial, hoppy yet malty, sweet yet bitter, and that is a magical thing.  Some people are foodies, I'm a beer snob.  I can drink a beer and tell you within reason what kind of grains, hops, and yeast were used.  Life without beer would be like life without art or literature or fine cusine. 

Sometimes I drink because I had a tough day and want to unwind.  Today, for example. 

Sometimes I drink to take the edge off.  I drank a heck of a lot of beer watching Tebow play, for example. No idea how teetotallers  could watch him play.

Sometimes I drink before social reasons.  I'm not an outgoing person but give me a couple beers and I'll talk to anyone.  Give me 3 or 4 and I'm a dancing fool.

Bull Dozier said:
come to Wisconsin. get a mixed drink for $4 that will kick you in the liver.

wlwiles said:
that guy's ahh comes from the DT's going away when he sips that booze

Much like our Supreme Court, I like beer.

I like the taste.  I like the variety.  I like the nuances and differences between styles and brewers.  I like judging beer against what i think it should taste like.  Every now and then, I drink a beer that just hits the perfect spot of being flavorful yet clean,  refreshing yet stubstantial, hoppy yet malty, sweet yet bitter, and that is a magical thing.  Some people are foodies, I'm a beer snob.  I can drink a beer and tell you within reason what kind of grains, hops, and yeast were used.  Life without beer would be like life without art or literature or fine cusine. 

Sometimes I drink because I had a tough day and want to unwind.  Today, for example. 

Sometimes I drink to take the edge off.  I drank a heck of a lot of beer watching Tebow play, for example. No idea how teetotallers  could watch him play.

Sometimes I drink before social reasons.  I'm not an outgoing person but give me a couple beers and I'll talk to anyone.  Give me 3 or 4 and I'm a dancing fool.
This is a good answer for me. However, I'm really not qualified to respond since, unless I am on vacation, I doubt I ever hit ten in a week. But I like a variety. Craft beer. Wine. Spirits. And everything I drink, I drink straight, including liquor. If I have to flavor it, it isn't worth drinking to me. I am the same way with my coffee, which greatly exceeds 10 a week.

I really like whiskey. I like bourbons, ryes, scotches, and I like them neat, on rocks, or with a splash of water. It helps me relax, and helps me sleep.

And, in the last few years my wife has really started drinking more and our sex life has improved like no one’s business. So there’s that.

Because I'm happy and feel like celebrating.

Because I'm sad and feel like drowning my sorrows.

Because I'm lonely and feel like reminiscing.

Because I'm content and feel like relaxing.

Because I'm with friends and feel like partying.

Because I'm with my girl and feel like having fun(wink wink).

Question is really why wouldn't I drink?

Users who are viewing this thread