What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Food - Best Medicine of All? (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
http://time.com/longform/food-best-medicine/

Sorry if honda but thought this was interesting. What do you think?

Clipped:

Geisinger’s program is one of a number of groundbreaking efforts that finally consider food a critical part of a patient’s medical care—and treat food as medicine that can have as much power to heal as drugs. More studies are revealing that people’s health is the sum of much more than the medications they take and the tests they get—health is affected by how much people sleep and exercise, how much stress they’re shouldering and, yes, what they are eating at every meal. Food is becoming a particular focus of doctors, hospitals, insurers and even employers who are frustrated by the slow progress of drug treatments in reducing food-related diseases like Type 2 diabetes, heart disease, hypertension and even cancer. They’re also encouraged by the growing body of research that supports the idea that when people eat well, they stay healthier and are more likely to control chronic diseases and perhaps even avoid them altogether. “When you prioritize food and teach people how to prepare healthy meals, lo and behold, it can end up being more impactful than medications themselves,” says Dr. Jaewon Ryu, interim president and CEO of Geisinger. “That’s a big win.”

It's also more expensive to eat healthy than junk food.
Depends on the food.  I can get a 5 pound bag of apples for a few bucks.  Bananas are what, less than $.50 a pound?  Chicken costs less than steak.  Water (when not "bottled") is far less than soda. 

Depends on the food.  I can get a 5 pound bag of apples for a few bucks.  Bananas are what, less than $.50 a pound?  Chicken costs less than steak.  Water (when not "bottled") is far less than soda. 
Its crazy how cheap bananas are.   I'll buy them at costco know I'm only going to eat half b/c they're so damn cheap.   Smear a little peanut butter on them.   Delicious.  The big bag of broccoli is another affordable health option at costco.   Then there's the huge container of mixed greens for like 4 bucks.   Man I love Costco.   

^ Post above mine was golden. 

Yes, diet is integral to health and good diets may be responsible for longevity and quality of life. No doubt.  

It all feeds into each other, pun partially intended.  Eating well leads to exercising well leads to reduced stress leads to quality rest, leaving you with increased energy and reduced likelihood of getting sick.

The hardest part is simply adapting to the lifestyle.  

Can't believe i'm saying this, but if i was raising kids today, it would be beans & nuts & berries & roots & veg & such. Not vegan, just not meat/starch oriented. That is a way of tasty woe.. I've quit virtually every harmful substance & behavior known to man without a 2nd thought, but i can't break the eating cycle i was raised on. A kid can go from curries and pho and wat and guaco to maccheese & mcnuggets as an adult, but not vice versa.

Last edited by a moderator:
It all feeds into each other, pun partially intended.  Eating well leads to exercising well leads to reduced stress leads to quality rest, leaving you with increased energy and reduced likelihood of getting sick.

The hardest part is simply adapting to the lifestyle.  
Such a critical symbiosis between all 4.    

We’ve known this since Hippocrates but there is only so much a physician can do to motivate people to take control of their lifestyle. Lifestyle changes are first line for Hypertension and diabetes but you need both motivated patients and accessible resources for the changes to take. And as others above have mentioned, old ingrained habits die hard as they are formed so young. Thus pediatricians have a role in preventing adult onset disease as well but they are just as limited in what they can do with the real power being in the hands of parents.

Which isn’t to place all of the blame on the patients (or their parents) as there are powerful structural and systemic forces that promote the so-called “American diet”  (high in simple carbohydrates and saturated fats and low in dietary fiber). The Farm Bill being the biggest culprit. Unfortunately we are exporting the “American diet” and other countries that don’t have these internal forces and now they are starting to see their rates of chronic disease climb as well. The barriers to systemic change  are so strong that even modest attempts to coerce behavioral change can be met with a lot of systemic resistance - think the rancor caused by sin taxes on soda and Michelle Obama’s healthy lunch initiatives.

Ultimately this will require a systems based fix and the article mentions payer involvement which will be necessary if we are really going to be tackling this with a multidisciplinary approach. The article gets at this:

But doctors alone can’t accomplish this food transformation. Recognizing that healthier members not only live longer but also avoid expensive visits to the emergency room, insurers are starting to reward healthy eating by covering sessions with nutritionists and dietitians.

Its crazy how cheap bananas are.   I'll buy them at costco know I'm only going to eat half b/c they're so damn cheap.   Smear a little peanut butter on them.   Delicious.  The big bag of broccoli is another affordable health option at costco.   Then there's the huge container of mixed greens for like 4 bucks.   Man I love Costco.   
Username checks out

Diet & exercise...and most underthink the diet part of that.  It's crazy how much time & money some spend on the exercise part and so little on the food side.

duh.

this so beyond obvious.  

it's all tied to money and being lazy.  oh, and being willfully dumb 

the corn industry wants to officially change the name of high fructose corn syrup, to corn sugar. cue, dr evil :devil:    anyone that eats this poison, is killing themselves.

"doc, my cholesterol is high".  here's a pill, go eat whatever you want.  instead of, exercise and diet changes.

What's interesting to me is that most everyone seems to get this. Yet it seems "most" everyone still eats poorly. 

I don't think most people eat that poorly.  We're talking about years of just eating poorly enough to put on a few lbs a year.  Its pretty darn easy to put on a few lbs a year.   After 20 years,  you're 50 lbs overweight.  

Diet & exercise...and most underthink the diet part of that.  It's crazy how much time & money some spend on the exercise part and so little on the food side.
A buddy of mine who has a master's in something related to all of this business says that it's 80% diet and 20% exercise.  

Joe Bryant said:
What's interesting to me is that most everyone seems to get this. Yet it seems "most" everyone still eats poorly. 
i don't think most people, actually get it.  i don't adhere to it perfectly, but i eat better than most people i know.  simple rule of thumb, try not to eat anything that's frozen, comes in a box or a can.  it's not really that hard, but it does take a little work.  also, eating out is usually bad for you.  

NutterButter said:
I don't think most people eat that poorly.  We're talking about years of just eating poorly enough to put on a few lbs a year.  Its pretty darn easy to put on a few lbs a year.   After 20 years,  you're 50 lbs overweight.  
nah, most people eat fairly poorly.  anyone drinking soda of any kind.  eat any fast food with any regularity.  eat any sort of prepackaged meals.  the list goes on and on.  i was at costco and tried a sample of chicken vindaloo.  it was sooooooo good.  read the package, it had tons of sugar in it.   :(   didn't buy it.  my achilles heel, is booze.  if i didn't drink, i'd have a remarkably healthy diet.  

Joe Bryant said:
Most everyone certainly doesnt get it. Some do, but make other decisions anyway. But they're the minority. You're more likely to find someone that erroneously thinks they're eating healthy because they ordered a salad without regard to dumping more than double the amount of dressing on iceberg with some sort of cheese and meat thrown in amidst a tiny portion of vegetables that may be kinda healthy but are actually packed full of preservatives. 

nah, most people eat fairly poorly.  anyone drinking soda of any kind.  eat any fast food with any regularity.  eat any sort of prepackaged meals.  the list goes on and on.  i was at costco and tried a sample of chicken vindaloo.  it was sooooooo good.  read the package, it had tons of sugar in it.   :(   didn't buy it.  my achilles heel, is booze.  if i didn't drink, i'd have a remarkably healthy diet.  
I get the tikka masala a lot.   Good stuff.   

Joe Bryant said:
I changed a long time ago.   Fried food very rarely. (I could eat fried food every day)Red meat maybe once a month. Fast food only when in a jam or traveling on the road.

It is so easy to eat healthy if you are prepared.  Take 30 minutes to wash and prepare all your veggies, cut them and have them ready to eat.  If I spend a ton on produce and don't clean them they sit in my crisper until they go bad.

One of my staple soups is orange soup.  Carrots, butternut Squash, Sweet potato, rutabaga, kale, onion, ginger, kale in a chicken broth. Make it in a pressure cooker.  I don`t know the breakdown but it has to be good for you.

Now if I gave up beer it would be even better.

Most everyone certainly doesnt get it. Some do, but make other decisions anyway. But they're the minority. You're more likely to find someone that erroneously thinks they're eating healthy because they ordered a salad without regard to dumping more than double the amount of dressing on iceberg with some sort of cheese and meat thrown in amidst a tiny portion of vegetables that may be kinda healthy but are actually packed full of preservatives. 
This

If you're not diabetic want to lose weight and improve your lipid profile, consider eating a Twinkies Golden Sponge Cake, Little Debbie Star Crunch, another Twinkies Golden Sponge Cake, Duncan Hines Family Style Brownie Chewy Fudge, maybe another twinkie and a few MVs and a protein shake, but be sure to stop eating when your daily caloric intake reaches 1800 calories. In 10 weeks, a nutrition professor at KSU lost 27 pound on the Twinkie Diet and his bad LDL cholesterol dropped by 20%, good LDL increased by 20%, and triglicerides dropped 20%. The point is that how much you eat counts as much, if not more, that what you eat. That's a big part of the goal in overweight people with prediabetes or  type II diabetes - to lose weight.

It seems like more evidence is accumulating from randomized controlled trials about the benefits of healthy diets for other diseases. And without the side-effects of many medications and at a lower cost.  This is part of the holistic approach D.O.s have been taught for years. But many people still want a pill to treat their symptoms.

If you can engage your family in selecting food from the supermarket, preparing and then cooking it, compliance with healthy eating will increase. 

If you're not diabetic want to lose weight and improve your lipid profile, consider eating a Twinkies Golden Sponge Cake, Little Debbie Star Crunch, another Twinkies Golden Sponge Cake, Duncan Hines Family Style Brownie Chewy Fudge, maybe another twinkie and a few MVs and a protein shake, but be sure to stop eating when your daily caloric intake reaches 1800 calories. In 10 weeks, a nutrition professor at KSU lost 27 pound on the Twinkie Diet and his bad LDL cholesterol dropped by 20%, good LDL increased by 20%, and triglicerides dropped 20%. The point is that how much you eat counts as much, if not more, that what you eat. That's a big part of the goal in overweight people with prediabetes or  type II diabetes - to lose weight.

It seems like more evidence is accumulating from randomized controlled trials about the benefits of healthy diets for other diseases. And without the side-effects of many medications and at a lower cost.  This is part of the holistic approach D.O.s have been taught for years. But many people still want a pill to treat their symptoms.

If you can engage your family in selecting food from the supermarket, preparing and then cooking it, compliance with healthy eating will increase. 
Plus - With the free apps now like Lose It and MyFitnessPal keeping up with calories is so much easier than it used to be. 

I would not say bordering. Unreal how hooked on Sugar I was/am. 
I've always shied away from saying its an addiction out of respect for the real addictions, but I agree with you.  I go through a lot of mental gymnastics on eating/not eating junk and there seems to be 1 common link - sugar addiction.  

Joe Bryant said:
Do you know how you tell the difference between wild and domesticated dog tracks?  Evolution is going to take a while after the industrial and agricultural revolutions happened to overcome hundreds of thousands of years of being hunters and gatherers.

Users who are viewing this thread