What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Food - Best Medicine of All? (1 Viewer)

it's all tied to money and being lazy.  oh, and being willfully dumb 

the corn industry wants to officially change the name of high fructose corn syrup, to corn sugar. cue, dr evil :devil:    anyone that eats this poison, is killing themselves.
Do you really blame them?  I mean, first of all, HFC has been vilified to the point that people think its poison no matter the dose.  Then you have "natural" food makers using ingredient names like "evaporated cane juice" to try to hide their own added sugars.  It's all marketing - on both sides.

"doc, my cholesterol is high".  here's a pill, go eat whatever you want.  instead of, exercise and diet changes.
I'm curious if anyone here as had this kind of experience.  It seems to be a common trope, but from my own experience and that of others I have spoken to about it, not once has a doctor failed to address diet and exercise concerns before prescribing drugs for high cholesterol or high blood pressure. 

I'm curious if anyone here as had this kind of experience.  It seems to be a common trope, but from my own experience and that of others I have spoken to about it, not once has a doctor failed to address diet and exercise concerns before prescribing drugs for high cholesterol or high blood pressure. 
Right here.

In 2011 I had a panic attack which, if you've never had one is very easy to mistake for a heart attack (if you've never had one). Freaked me the #### out.

At any rate I went to my doc more than a few times after that and at one point my blood work came back with a staggering 300 on my cholesterol. Again, I freaked the #### out. My entire life my cholesterol has been in the 180-210 range (good ratios etc). My doc had my history on this.

Doc immediately says "Here's a statin." 

I say "Hey doc considering my cholesterol history maybe this is just an aberration and if not maybe I can reign it in with diet and exercise."

Doc says "Here's a statin."

At the same time my circulating TSH & T4 suggested I was mildly hypothyroid. Not dangerously hypothyroid just below the low end of "normal".

Doc says "Here's some speed (or whatever)."

I say "Doc how long will I have to take this?"

Doc says "Forever."

I got a new doctor.

Last edited by a moderator:
"doc, my cholesterol is high".  here's a pill, go eat whatever you want.  instead of, exercise and diet changes.
I think it's becoming common with things like what you mention along with diabetes, heart disease, etc.  But outside of those, I still don't see docs exploring the role of food.

I have a family member that's had chronic pelvic pain for over 20 years now.  It's debilitating.   She's had no problems getting lots of prescriptions from multiple doctors for various opioids, surgical implants for pain management, physical therapy, etc.  The costs to her and her insurance company over the years must be enormous.  But not once in those 20+ years has any doctor asked about her diet.  Do I think she would be magically cured by ditching the packaged crap and fast food she eats because she's in too much pain to cook most of the time?  No.  But when nothing else has worked and docs still aren't looking into diet it's infuriating.  Whether there is an actual allergy, intolerance, inflammatory reaction or other contributing to the pain that could be eliminated or just the health benefits we all recognize come with eating healthy, it should be the first thing docs are exploring. 

I think it's becoming common with things like what you mention along with diabetes, heart disease, etc.  But outside of those, I still don't see docs exploring the role of food.

I have a family member that's had chronic pelvic pain for over 20 years now.  It's debilitating.   She's had no problems getting lots of prescriptions from multiple doctors for various opioids, surgical implants for pain management, physical therapy, etc.  The costs to her and her insurance company over the years must be enormous.  But not once in those 20+ years has any doctor asked about her diet.  Do I think she would be magically cured by ditching the packaged crap and fast food she eats because she's in too much pain to cook most of the time?  No.  But when nothing else has worked and docs still aren't looking into diet it's infuriating.  Whether there is an actual allergy, intolerance, inflammatory reaction or other contributing to the pain that could be eliminated or just the health benefits we all recognize come with eating healthy, it should be the first thing docs are exploring. 
yeah, i think the thing is that most docs know that diet is important, but they aren't really all that knowledgeable about it.  Doctors get almost no training in nutrition, as far as I know, so most GPs really have very little knowledge beyond the surface.  Some may have taken the time to educate themselves, but in general, it's just not something that is part of a doctor's repertoire.

full disclosure: my wife actually has a business (well is trying) that is basically nutrition as medicine.  she doesn't have so many clients so far, but she has been able to help people come off of statins, reduce ADHD medication, reduce/eliminate joint pain, etc.

I have been putting frozen vegetables in my smoothies. It's been great. Feel like I'm eating so much more vegetables by basically drinking a milkshake. Can't even taste them. This week i read you're not supposed to eat frozen vegetables without cooking them first. Something about bacteria needing to be killed. If you can eat raw, fresh vegetables why can't you eat frozen vegetables that are frozen when they're fresh? So miffed about this.

Chaka said:
Right here.

In 2011 I had a panic attack which, if you've never had one is very easy to mistake for a heart attack (if you've never had one). Freaked me the #### out.

At any rate I went to my doc more than a few times after that and at one point my blood work came back with a staggering 300 on my cholesterol. Again, I freaked the #### out. My entire life my cholesterol has been in the 180-210 range (good ratios etc). My doc had my history on this.

Doc immediately says "Here's a statin." 

I say "Hey doc considering my cholesterol history maybe this is just an aberration and if not maybe I can reign it in with diet and exercise."

Doc says "Here's a statin."

At the same time my circulating TSH & T4 suggested I was mildly hypothyroid. Not dangerously hypothyroid just below the low end of "normal".

Doc says "Here's some speed (or whatever)."

I say "Doc how long will I have to take this?"

Doc says "Forever."

I got a new doctor.
Yeah, that sucks.  I'm sorry you had that experience.

My cholesterol levels and ratios weren't so good.  First thing my doc did was ask about my diet and exercise. It honestly wasn't that bad to begin with, but he made some recommendations and said we'd look at it again after some months with better diet/ more exercise (I really figured that this was the standard of care).  Came back lighter, fitter, with a decidedly better diet and my numbers were actually worse.  Tried a statin and numbers were perfect.  But it wasn't like he said to now eat whatever you want and stop exercising - he said to keep up with the good diet and exercise while on the statins.  I can't believe any doctor, even without pushing more/better diet/exercise would say things like, "eat whatever you want."

I can't believe any doctor, even without pushing more/better diet/exercise would say things like, "eat whatever you want."
I don't know a doctor that has ever said that. But plenty of them say nothing or just say something like "You need to eat better and exercise more." and then not talk about how to do either.

Nipsey said:
I have been putting frozen vegetables in my smoothies. It's been great. Feel like I'm eating so much more vegetables by basically drinking a milkshake. Can't even taste them. This week i read you're not supposed to eat frozen vegetables without cooking them first. Something about bacteria needing to be killed. If you can eat raw, fresh vegetables why can't you eat frozen vegetables that are frozen when they're fresh? So miffed about this.
I'm adding frozen cauliflower to my smoothies this week - looking for low sugar and more nutrients.  

Low Sugar Smoothie

I'm adding frozen cauliflower to my smoothies this week - looking for low sugar and more nutrients.  

Low Sugar Smoothie
I was doing pretty much every frozen veg except corn. Brussels sprouts, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, carrots and more. Just add half a frozen banana (freeze them in the peels ones they get really ripe) and it kills the taste of all the veg. And enough unsweetened almond milk to make it be able to blend. It's an acquired taste but you get used to it quickly. No need for any other fruit. But they say you're not supposed to eat frozen veg without cooking them. Never ate better and now they tell me it could kill me. You can't win.

Folks may be interested in the International Journal of Disease Reversal and Prevention to which you can subscribe for free

It's mission is:

to document the science of nutrition and lifestyle to prevent, suspend and reverse disease. 

We are a peer reviewed, open access journal committed to the highest levels of credibility and integrity in scientific publishing, free from outside industry influence. Our mission is to create an internationally recognized journal that will become the primary repository of scientific research documenting the effects of nutrition to arrest and reverse chronic lifestyle-related diseases.

In addition, we will be launching a novel new supplement to the journal, called the Disease Reversal and Prevention Digest. The digest will take the groundbreaking research from each journal publication and translate the findings into easy to read articles for the general public and media. The digest will also contain variety of subject matter pertaining to human health, wellness, and the regeneration of the ecosystem of food. 
the inaugural issue comes out March 31

Last edited by a moderator:

Historically, patients are really bad at sticking to a diet & exercise regimen.  It's the same if a doctor encounters a smoker - both patient and doctor know that current behavior is bad, but the doctor doesn't have the magic words to make the patient stop smoking in a 5 or 10 minute visit, so the doctor doesn't spend a lot of time addressing it. 

I can't speak for 100% of physicians, but I suspect they know that the patient may benefit from a change in diet/exercise, but it's a complicated lesson and if they believe that the patient isn't going to follow through anyway, what's the point?

I do agree with you that there is room in healthcare for MDs to better educated about the role of food.

Users who are viewing this thread