What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Harry Potter, Wizards Unite: Community Day. Aug 10 (1 Viewer)

Not blown away by this game yet. Admittedly I am only level 5. I already feel like it is  little repetitive.  I am lucky in that my office sits in that middle of three inns (same as Pokemon). I will give it a chance. 

My code if anyone wants it;

9621-4868-7722

Not blown away by this game yet. Admittedly I am only level 5. I already feel like it is  little repetitive.  I am lucky in that my office sits in that middle of three inns (same as Pokemon). I will give it a chance. 

My code if anyone wants it;

9621-4868-7722
Im with you. Wont stop me from playing but was hoping for a little more substance

**** PSA for Samsung users ****

If you go to the galaxy store and download that version of the game, you get 10% off in app purchases. I just bought one for 9.99 that I saved $1 on. Not huge, but is a nice touch if you already plan to spend a little
I'm on iOS and they have a "one time offer" only for $1.99 and another for $9.99 for each house. I think you can buy all four $9.99 house offers but the only difference is an unlocked lens and moving sticker (i.e. no big deal).

I took AcerFC's lead and went to Gringotts to buy some gold. You can get 12,000 gold for $9.99. That's a steal. This offer is at the bottom... now, what to spend it on!

I'm on iOS and they have a "one time offer" only for $1.99 and another for $9.99 for each house. I think you can buy all four $9.99 house offers but the only difference is an unlocked lens and moving sticker (i.e. no big deal).

I took AcerFC's lead and went to Gringotts to buy some gold. You can get 12,000 gold for $9.99. That's a steal. This offer is at the bottom... now, what to spend it on!
I spent 450 to increase my capacity for 3 things. i think it was spell energy, potions and ingredients. 

The 12,000 gold is $99.99

Well, I sent you a friend request.  I don't know friends do for each other in this, but I'm itching to battle some wizards who will pummel me into the dirt.
I don't have this game, but I would enjoy pummeling you into the dirt. 

How is your schedule? 

I have nothing definitive on my Wizard-to-do list all month. 

Played today off and on. 

Few observations, they are going to have to do something about the spell energy.  I mean, when you are out--you are basically dead in the water unless you can find an inn. My neighborhood is pretty dry when it comes to that--all we have is a greenhouse about 1/4 of a mile away and the inn is closer to a mile away. In Pokemon there are others options around me. Fights in HP are not hard to find, but if you run into a tough battle, you can be drained quickly.  My suggestion would be for some (even if it was a slow amount) of energy to be restored hourly.  My daughter hasn't played today because she ran out and being she just had her tonsil surgery 48 hours ago, she isn't moving from her bed. She is frustrated because there are plenty of encounters to have, but (barring me buying energy) she is out of luck. 

The thing that makes Pokemon Go so great is it feeds on the desire of having to catch them all. People want to fill out their Dex and the characters were fun to catch. Right now in HP we have things like random Slytherin student as one of the collectibles--big deal. I think this is going to be a big problem keeping players interested. 

I feel they are trying to set the table for this bigger story of what is going on, but I tend to click by a lot of those conversation bubbles because this is a casual game--not an RPG. That being said, I do like the RPG features with the skill trees and the potion ingredients. 

Maybe I am wrong, but I wonder if Niantic didn't plan on Pokemon Go's staying power. I am not a fanboy of Pokemon as a whole, but I am pretty much a day one Go player and I have played most every day for even just a few minutes. Today I went and picked up a couple things for my wife and I had the app on just to keep my streak and get a few stops. I clicked it off and turned HP on. There were no nearby inns, but there were many battles. I ended up going back to Pokemon Go for the drive home. I just think they are competing for the same group of players and Pokemon is ultimately going to win that--especially with the next Gen release on the horizon. I wouldn't want them to kill PG off, but one of the ways they could have created temporarily less interest in it, would have been to open the floodgates for harder to get monsters say three months ago. There are multiple ones I am still trying for . This would have created an artificial lull, release HP and then come back with the new gen of Pokemon around Christmas. 

Oh well, just my initial impressions so far. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I played a lot today. Went for a walk around the lake where i would estimate there to be between 20-25 inns, tons of greenhouses and maybe 5 fortresses. 

The great part was it was a beautiful day out and I was able to get out with my 9 year old son. 

I dont have the same spell energy issues. I boosted to 95 and right now have 93/95. I do not have an inn within a mile of my house. But I do pull over sometimes to hit one up as I drive by. 

They are definitely setting up a bigger story. But Im not sure how they plan to do anything different than what you do now. Today was the first day I got two foundables from one encounter. In each case (3 of them) it was something to do with the Grim Fawley mystery. 

There are a few things I dont like. I have zero idea what greenhouses are used for. I planted something and it was gone by the time i went back. Then I was out of space for ingredients so that didnt help much. I needed one ingredient to make a potion but didnt find it all day. 

The other thing I dont really get is the fortresses. My son and I defeated the first two levels. He didn't want to keep going but not sure what you get other than books under the challenge section. At some point, we will get all. Then what? I also am not sure how to give him extra health as I am a professor. 

I do enjoy the aspect of catching them all. Today we were super psyched when we got Filch and Mr. Norris. 

Overall, had a great day. Would I go out and play every day for an hour or two, prob not. But enjoyed it. No one else was playing. It was nothing like when PG first came out. 

Does anyone know what the light coming from a confoundable means (before you press it)

Played today off and on. 

Few observations, they are going to have to do something about the spell energy.  I mean, when you are out--you are basically dead in the water unless you can find an inn. My neighborhood is pretty dry when it comes to that--all we have is a greenhouse about 1/4 of a mile away and the inn is closer to a mile away. In Pokemon there are others options around me. Fights in HP are not hard to find, but if you run into a tough battle, you can be drained quickly.  My suggestion would be for some (even if it was a slow amount) of energy to be restored hourly.  My daughter hasn't played today because she ran out and being she just had her tonsil surgery 48 hours ago, she isn't moving from her bed. She is frustrated because there are plenty of encounters to have, but (barring me buying energy) she is out of luck. 

The thing that makes Pokemon Go so great is it feeds on the desire of having to catch them all. People want to fill out their Dex and the characters were fun to catch. Right now in HP we have things like random Slytherin student as one of the collectibles--big deal. I think this is going to be a big problem keeping players interested. 

I feel they are trying to set the table for this bigger story of what is going on, but I tend to click by a lot of those conversation bubbles because this is a casual game--not an RPG. That being said, I do like the RPG features with the skill trees and the potion ingredients. 

Maybe I am wrong, but I wonder if Niantic didn't plan on Pokemon Go's staying power. I am not a fanboy of Pokemon as a whole, but I am pretty much a day one Go player and I have played most every day for even just a few minutes. Today I went and picked up a couple things for my wife and I had the app on just to keep my streak and get a few stops. I clicked it off and turned HP on. There were no nearby inns, but there were many battles. I ended up going back to Pokemon Go for the drive home. I just think they are competing for the same group of players and Pokemon is ultimately going to win that--especially with the next Gen release on the horizon. I wouldn't want them to kill PG off, but one of the ways they could have created temporarily less interest in it, would have been to open the floodgates for harder to get monsters say three months ago. There are multiple ones I am still trying for . This would have created an artificial lull, release HP and then come back with the new gen of Pokemon around Christmas. 

Oh well, just my initial impressions so far. 
I find it weird that PG offers more pokestops for you. Every single pokestops is basically an inn for me. They are pulling from the same overlay 

I find it weird that PG offers more pokestops for you. Every single pokestops is basically an inn for me. They are pulling from the same overlay 
Several of the pokestops that are closest to me are greenhouses in HP

There are a few things I dont like. I have zero idea what greenhouses are used for. I planted something and it was gone by the time i went back. Then I was out of space for ingredients so that didnt help much. I needed one ingredient to make a potion but didnt find it all day. 

The other thing I dont really get is the fortresses. My son and I defeated the first two levels. He didn't want to keep going but not sure what you get other than books under the challenge section. At some point, we will get all. Then what? I also am not sure how to give him extra health as I am a professor.
Greenhouses, when planting something, is better utilized when you have a party or group of wizards near you. Greenhouses also give uncommon ingredients for potions. Also, some times you can get energy points from the greenhouse.

Fortresses, using rune stones will help increase the reward. The higher level you go, the tougher the matches are. I can do level 5 but the enemies have 400 hit points and I have to fight 3 of them. I can't win those. Combining a higher rune stone with a higher level will give you a greater reward.

One fortress tip though... you have 5 minutes to defeat the enemies. If they knock you out, you get a 30 second penalty but come back with full energy. Keep fighting.

You have to go out at night. I took a stroll to the Inns about a mile away from me. There are 4 on that route with a couple of greenhouses but no fortresses. The things I was able to win tonight were coming left and right. I hated seeing some of the new enemies leave so you waste energy and get nothing but they'll come sooner or later. I didn't think I'd be outside for two hours but I was.

Also, I read online that werewolves only come out when there is a full moon. So... keep an eye out for them.

Just used my first dark detector. looks like foundables that pop up have a circle under them so you know its different than a regular foundable

Just used my first dark detector. looks like foundables that pop up have a circle under them so you know its different than a regular foundable
What I have found is that the higher level you are, the newer foundables show up. Haven't used Dark Detectors yet but may do that tonight on my walk, barring rain. The foundables that have a light coming out from the top of them seem to be more difficult and more prosperous. But, as you level up, even the normal ones may yield new stuff.

I was tired of sitting at the zero magic, so I bought the house intro thing for $1.99 and got the gold, magic and spells. 

I then used the gold To upgrade my Vault storage for ingredients and magic because I was maxed out on ingredients and couldn’t pick up anymore

I was tired of sitting at the zero magic, so I bought the house intro thing for $1.99 and got the gold, magic and spells. 

I then used the gold To upgrade my Vault storage for ingredients and magic because I was maxed out on ingredients and couldn’t pick up anymore
Check out what ingredients you need to brew potions. You will/should delete or manage your ingredients that way. Keep about 10 of each ingredient and determine what you need to brew whichever potions from those.

I just prestiged an entire page of my registry. To fully get each item went up A LOT. Not sure what it does to XP earned yet, but hopefully it goes up a bunch. 

What are dark detectors and where do you activate them?
You activate them at any inn. Go into the inn and swipe left. The detectors are active for 30 minutes. It draws rare foundables to you. I think I read that you can stack multiple detectors for really rare stuff but have not tried it. 

Not a great night tonight. In the dusk, I fought one enemy a few times, and using a potion, got 1,000 experience each time. Missed out on a Nimbus 2000 and a Unicorn. Great night if I get those. I need to get Restricted Section Books to move my professor up but have no idea how to do it.

In my registry, I'm at:

Care of Magical Creatures - Rank 5

Dark Arts - Rank 8

Hogwarts School - Rank 5

Legends of Hogwarts - Rank 4

Ministry of Magic - Rank 6

Magizoology - Rank 5

Magical Games and Sports - Rank 5

Mysterious Artifacts - Rank 5

Wonders of the Wizarding World - Rank 4

Oddities - Rank 9

Challenges - Rank 11

Acer- 9258 7074 3236

Mario Kart- 3957 7152 0153

Henry Ford- 2122 3219 0906

EY Live- 9668 9052 1540

AAA- 3614 4369 1393

Court Jester- 9621-4868-7722

Ragin Cajun- 1846 7135 6484

Munga- 4248 1828 6370

Chet- 1061 5658 8624

Wizards unite was downloaded 400,000 times in the first day and earned $300,000

Not bad

compared to the 2 Million PoGo made in its first day

Some observations:

1) The micro transactions are really annoying.  My son ran out of spell juice and when he found out he could either buy them or get them from inns, he said he wasn't going to play anymore.  

2) I like the red dots that signify you have something to collect or do but the one by your picture can be tough to get rid of.

3) I don't know how the runes work or what the numbers signify.

4) I don't know how to tell if a confound able is rare or common without clicking on it.  Even then it's not alway apparent to me.  I also don't know what the different colors represent.  

Of course, all of the above was likely explained but I clicked through all of the "conversations".

As someone who is not into Pokemon, Wizards Unite is right up my Diagon Alley. So, it's a whole new thing for me. The marketing has been subpar however, I'd be interested to hear if England and Australia are having any issues? I'd think England would be a good place for the game.

On one note, I don't think I'll be getting the "Complete a trace in two countries" Event any time soon.

Some observations:

1) The micro transactions are really annoying.  My son ran out of spell juice and when he found out he could either buy them or get them from inns, he said he wasn't going to play anymore.  

2) I like the red dots that signify you have something to collect or do but the one by your picture can be tough to get rid of.

3) I don't know how the runes work or what the numbers signify.

4) I don't know how to tell if a confound able is rare or common without clicking on it.  Even then it's not alway apparent to me.  I also don't know what the different colors represent.  

Of course, all of the above was likely explained but I clicked through all of the "conversations".
2. I found they tend to hide in the frames and sticker sections of the portrait feature.

3. Using specific runes matches you with enemies of that type, and the number allows you into the level of that number... I think.

4. the color corresponds to the color coded section of the registry.

I'm not close to an inn (or anything for that matter) so my leveling is real show. I wish our energy replenished over time.

Really trying to like this game, but I am settling into this uncool pattern. Completely load up on magic at work and then come home and watch it all disappear. I really wish they would do an hourly replenish--even just a little amount per hour so you could keep playing. With Pokemon Go my daughter and I have this little loop we can do where we can hit 7-8 stops close around my house in the car with my wife driving (yeah, I am lazy),  As I mentioned above, on HP only one of these stops is an actual Inn. Two are greenhouses and the rest are nothing, which I find really weird. So I am basically SOL when I come home as far as playing. I bought the expansion so I have 85 as my magic limit, but I can't imagine if on PG if all I could carry would be that few balls. I have begun to run from adventures now if they are just unneeded items, so as to not waste magic.

I went into one of the Wizard Challenges today and that was sort of fun. I was kicking butt and killing guys/spiders left and right, but you guessed, it right in the middle of the final fight, I run out of magic. Ugghh.....

I also don't quite understand the greenhouse mechanics yet. It doesn't seem like it does much of anything earth-shattering. 

I tried putting three Dark Detectors in the Inn at my office and all these cool things started appearing, I caught something i didn't have, but then the next two were impossible to catch and I wasted a ton of magic trying to get them before they finally dissipated. 

It is fun, but not sure it is a daily play game like PG still is for my daughter and I. 

EYLive said:
2. I found they tend to hide in the frames and sticker sections of the portrait feature.

3. Using specific runes matches you with enemies of that type, and the number allows you into the level of that number... I think.

4. the color corresponds to the color coded section of the registry.

I'm not close to an inn (or anything for that matter) so my leveling is real show. I wish our energy replenished over time.
Where's the frame and sticker part?

eta: You have to take a pic to access frames and stickers.  Very lame and stupid.

I just checked my data usage. I'm with Mint mobile and have the 8GB plan. I'm at 7.5GB usage right now and my data recycles tomorrow. So, I will have to hold back on walking around my area. Next week is the first event though. Time to get Restricted Books.

Users who are viewing this thread