What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Oregon LEO Doesn't Know The Law, Is A Jerk About it (1 Viewer)

Tom Skerritt

Footballguy
Driver calmly tries to explain the law to him, and the police officer continues to be a jerk. (with video)

The video is pretty funny. The driver remains calm during the 5:30ish video. Meanwhile the trooper gets agitated and flustered. A brief synopsis is outlined below, but please view the video for the full context.

A man from Dubai whose hobby appears to be shipping his Lamborghini to North America and taking road trips posted a video of an interaction with an Oregon State Trooper earlier this month that has been viewed nearly 3 million times.

In the dashcam video, posted by YouTube user “Stig’s Persian Cousin,” a state trooper appears at the man’s window as the man removes the steering wheel of the car.

The trooper identifies himself as Trooper Rommer and then tells the man in the car that he is recording the interaction.

“The reason I’m stopping you is because you don’t have any licenses plates on this car,” Trooper Rommer tells the man. “Is there any reason for that?”

“I’m from Dubai,” the man says. “It’s my license plate right there.”

“But you’re not in Dubai,” the trooper points out.

“I’m visiting as a tourist,” the man responds.

“Well, no you’re not visiting as a tourist if you brought a car with you,” the trooper responds.

The interaction devolves from there, with the driver trying to explain that he is following the laws and the trooper insisting he knows the laws.

“I’m pretty sure I know what I’m talking about right now,” the trooper says.

The highlight of the video comes when the driver says to the trooper, “Imagine you want to drive your car in Europe. What do you do? You ship your car there, you drive it for a month and you ship it back.”

“Naw,” the trooper says, “that’s not what I do.”

Finally, the trooper says, “I have another call I have to go to. Be safe pulling into traffic.”

Then he leaves.

It turns out it was the driver who knew what he was talking about.

“ORS 803.305 (14) specifically provides that vehicles currently registered and titled in any other country, state or territory are not required to be registered by this state, provided the owner is not a resident of this state or has been a resident for less than 30 days,” Oregon State Police spokesperson Timothy R. Fox said over email Tuesday.

“ORS 807.020 (1) provides that a person who is not a resident of this state or who has been a resident of this state for less than 30 days may operate a motor vehicle without an Oregon license or driver permit if the person holds a current out-of-state or foreign license issued to the person,” he added.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a really unusual situation.  I'll give the trooper a pass.   

So the guy just drives around without plates for a month.  As a cop you have to pull the guy over b/c you don't know why he doesn't have plates.   How many times is this guy going to get pulled over?   Seems like a flawed system we have where we can't just assign the guy a federal temp plate so a cop can at least look something up without having to pull him over.

Saw this already a few weeks ago.  I give the trooper a pass in terms of not knowing the law about this.  But he doesn't get a pass with his attitude.  So authoritative instead of just listening and trying to get an understanding.  And it's ok to apologize at the end when he realizes he was wrong but instead makes it seem like he's letting him go for other reasons. 

Too many people really hate to admit when they're wrong.  It's ok to not know some things.

So if I were planning on doing this I'd have all the documentation ready to provide.  Seems like a simple step to take to avoid extra hassles.

Why is this even a thing? I wonder if there will be any long-term affects on our society if we, as a group, decide to publicly scrutinize every mistake police officers make. I wouldn't want that for me at my job. I wonder if this will dillute our nation's respect for the profession and therefore, along with crap pay and risks, attract only lower quality candidates for the profession? Shootings, misconduct, and serious errors...definitely. This, I really don't get it. Way to go Oregonlive.com, you got views.

Why is this even a thing? I wonder if there will be any long-term affects on our society if we, as a group, decide to publicly scrutinize every mistake police officers make. I wouldn't want that for me at my job. I wonder if this will dillute our nation's respect for the profession and therefore, along with crap pay and risks, attract only lower quality candidates for the profession? Shootings, misconduct, and serious errors...definitely. This, I really don't get it. Way to go Oregonlive.com, you got views.
I'm fine with this.  Cops have a ton of power.  They should be heavily scrutinized.

There ya have it.   :lmao:  

There's always going to be the vocal minority that's going to criticize cops for stuff like this like they're working in a verizon store.   I'd like to think that cops either don't see this stuff or just ignore the noise.

I have to assume the trooper figured out the driver was correct because abandoning a situation he knew to be illegal for another call seems like that might be the incorrect procedure 

I have to assume the trooper figured out the driver was correct because abandoning a situation he knew to be illegal for another call seems like that might be the incorrect procedure 
I agree that he probably realized he was wrong. That said, the last part of your statement is incorrect. Police leave illegal situations plenty, if a more dire call comes in. 

I don’t have a problem with the trooper not knowing the law. The problem I have is that the trooper is being a jerk, and he won’t allow the guy an opportunity to explain himself. Why is it so difficult for the trooper to be friendly and listen to what the guy has to say? The trooper starts off by being confrontational, and he stays that way the entire time all the while not knowing the law. 

We are already seeing the effects of the constant complaining and scrutinizing.  Violent crimes in America have been higher when that year is compared to right before the major protests began (St. Louis, Baltimore etc).  People would rather complain about insignificant things like this than have less civilians kill and rob other civilians.  

The driver is lucky it didn't end worse:

1) he could have been legally arrested on suspicion of a crime that does not exist

2) he could have been released once the officer found out there's no crime, however

3) his expensive Lamborghini could have been seized as part of "further investigations" and held for 30 days, then

4) his  Lamborghini could have been sold at police auction, despite not having been part of any crime, and

5) the State of Oregon would have pocketed the proceeds and the driver would have been left empty-handed

Steps 4 and 5 in this process was only overturned by the Supreme Court in the last month.
You are using an example where none of this happens to purport that it could have happened.

Interesting strategy.

We are already seeing the effects of the constant complaining and scrutinizing.  Violent crimes in America have been higher when that year is compared to right before the major protests began (St. Louis, Baltimore etc).  People would rather complain about insignificant things like this than have less civilians kill and rob other civilians.  
Right, which proves that this inept, power-tripping cop, and his attitude, is somehow warranted or excusable.  Got it.

Saw this already a few weeks ago.  I give the trooper a pass in terms of not knowing the law about this.  But he doesn't get a pass with his attitude.  So authoritative instead of just listening and trying to get an understanding.  And it's ok to apologize at the end when he realizes he was wrong but instead makes it seem like he's letting him go for other reasons. 

Too many people really hate to admit when they're wrong.  It's ok to not know some things.
That is the proper answer. Go double check the law, find out you are in error, go back to the auto and apologize for your mistake and maybe even give the man a complliment on the cool car.

So if I were planning on doing this I'd have all the documentation ready to provide.  Seems like a simple step to take to avoid extra hassles.
Yep. Seems like if you were smart enough to know this law front and back that you'd be aware that American cops probably don't.

Meh.    The cop was probably irritated that foreign guy was filming the interaction.   Guy comes across to me a little flippant.   Cop gets a pass.  

Also, if you are going to drive in a foreign country why not have all of your paperwork ready?  Is the guy living out of the car?   I saw a map that was open and paper towels thrown in the top of the backseat.      Is  "Stump the Cop" really a thing?   

Also, I am anti-cop 99% of the time.  But this was not worthy of "I got over on a cop" video.  

There's another video on YouTube I watched a few weeks ago of a Canadian with a Lamborghini who frequently visits the US.  He has almost an identical conversation with the officer and even mentions "it happens all the time".  That was my thought too about the documentation.  Make everyone's life easier.

I'm not going to post the link because the only responses will be from 20 people complaining about the officer not knowing an obscure law despite the fact he tried to warn the Canadian and ultimately didn't arrest him for reckless driving.

I'm missing the place where I wrote "we should pollute the FFA with these threads."
There's a new rule, guy.  There will be no more laughable or pathetic -- take your pick -- videos of law enforcement acting like d-bags in the FFA.  It's wrong!

Same will go for real estate brokers, they are taking too much crap around here imo.

Respect for police officers would be improved if police were, as a whole, more polite. This is particularly true for people being nice to them such as this guy. Hopefully this can be a learning opportunity for police officers who watch it. This isn’t to say that there aren’t polite, respectful officers.  Just that too many come across like this officer.

By the way, how would you define “crap pay”?  I think that’s for fast food workers, hotel maids, and home healthcare worker.  Police officers do reasonably well.   

Police officers where I live (high tax, union-loving NY) make 6 figures plus the best benefits imaginable.  Depends where you live...but I don't think they make "Crap Pay" anywhere.    Police departments have a lot of leverage when it comes to negotiating.  No one wants a police department on strike...same with firemen.

Juxtatarot said:
By the way, how would you define “crap pay”?  I think that’s for fast food workers, hotel maids, and home healthcare worker.  Police officers do reasonably well.   
And then some, especially considering they don't need a college degree and it's a career far less dangerous than other trades and less paying positions that no one respects.

Users who are viewing this thread