What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you drink alone? (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
In keeping with the questions about drinking/not drinking, are you drinking like George Thorogood?  Alone, with nobody else.  I ask because I see people saying work is stressful so they drink to unwind.

I think I drank alone once in my life.  Drinking for me was always social.  About getting drunk and laughing with buddies.

Some time in a seven day period (when the time is right) I will head off to my Fortress of  Solitude with a half pint of AA,and a coke.  The ice is in a freezer there as is my candles, incense and all that music. It's mixing time.

I will be in my world surrounded by all my books, my stuff while I mix another tape.  I will finish that half pint before I leave. A weekly routine.

Yep, a special glass.

Last edited by a moderator:
When nothing is going on and something good on TV, I usually drink at least once a week alone..  I also don't drink alone at a bar unless I'm on business trip.

As mentioned in the other threads, I don't drink. That said, I've never bought into the notion that drinking alone is a sign of being an alcoholic. Getting drunk alone seems a bit odd, but a drink or two at night seems fine to me. 

I probably drink more alone right now than I do with others. Usually when I'm outside doing yard work. Sometimes when I get home and the kids and wife aren't home oh, I'll crack open a couple of cold ones.

My wife does not drink as much as me.  It's more often that I drink solo than drink alone.  Usually just a cocktail or beer 2-3 nights a week.

I don't go out to the bars to drink alone that often.  Maybe grab a beer with dinner on business.  But, a couple of months ago, my wife and I were on a weekend getaway without our kid.  One afternoon she went to get a massage, while I went to a microbrewery that I wanted to check out.  I brought a book and did a tasting flight; that was a pretty good afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite often, but generally at home or on a business trip.  I don’t just head to the bar to drink by myself
I'd count drinking at a bar as not alone.  Even at the least, there's a bartender there.  When I say alone, I mean like house is empty or everyone's asleep and you just grab a couple drinks and get to buzzed or more.

You're gonna have to break this one down for me.

Are you drinking now?
Not drinking now.  I'm most often not drinking "alone," in that my wife is home with me, and we may be watching TV together or something.   But we're not drinking together, since she's not drinking.  I'm not sure what meaning of "alone" Sheik was looking for.

Occasionally.  Maybe twice per month I will relax by myself with a good scotch or bourbon on a Friday night.  

Not drinking now.  I'm most often not drinking "alone," in that my wife is home with me, and we may be watching TV together or something.   But we're not drinking together, since she's not drinking.  I'm not sure what meaning of "alone" Sheik was looking for.
Again, like just by yourself with no one around you.  If you are in a room drinking and your wife is there not drinking, I wouldn't consider that drinking alone.

Also, this wasn't meant to imply if you drink alone you have a problem.  As someone who was a social drinker, I find it interesting.  I never drank to relax or unwind.  I drank to get silly and have a good time joking around with friends.

Again, like just by yourself with no one around you.  If you are in a room drinking and your wife is there not drinking, I wouldn't consider that drinking alone.

Also, this wasn't meant to imply if you drink alone you have a problem.  As someone who was a social drinker, I find it interesting.  I never drank to relax or unwind.  I drank to get silly and have a good time joking around with friends.
Some people also just like the taste or get enjoyment out of the experience of having a couple drinks, and that doesn't necessarily change if you're solo or in a group.

Some people also just like the taste or get enjoyment out of the experience of having a couple drinks, and that doesn't necessarily change if you're solo or in a group.
Fair enough.  If I come off sounding like I'm judging those who drink alone, I apologize.  That's not what my intent is.  

Fair enough.  If I come off sounding like I'm judging those who drink alone, I apologize.  That's not what my intent is.  
Nah but there's definitely a "stigma" about it in some circles, right or wrong. Isn't that why we got a thread from a guy here about his wife flipping out about his drinking? Cause he had the audacity to have a drink alone on a weeknight?

People seem to judge a casual solo drinker much more than they would a person who houses an entire tub of ice cream while sitting alone on a couch.

man....sometimes nothing better than grabbing the remote and a few drinks and watching a ball game, movie, or channel surfing without a care in the world....its very relaxing for me....

Only once.  I eat alone at the bar from time to time but don't drink alone there.  The lone exception was when a bar had a single malt scotch I really wanted to try.  I ordered one, neat, followed by a pretty hefty lunch.  Glad I did

Nah but there's definitely a "stigma" about it in some circles, right or wrong. Isn't that why we got a thread from a guy here about his wife flipping out about his drinking? Cause he had the audacity to have a drink alone on a weeknight?

People seem to judge a casual solo drinker much more than they would a person who houses an entire tub of ice cream while sitting alone on a couch.
I may be alone in this, but I think we got that thread because his wife is a crazy person.

If I'm travelling for work I will have a drink (or two) either in my hotel room while working or at the local bar/restaurant.  Not usually every night but at the end of a stressful day.  

I find that I rarely drink much when around people.  Beer ends up just getting warm.  After mowing the lawn or shoveling snow or while playing video games, totally different for me. 

I had a buddy that I'd go to concerts with.  He always got pretty hammered at the concert.  I'm not sure if he even remembered the concerts.  I'd maybe have a half of a beer or usually a coke.  Too much going on to mess it up with a fake buzz.

Quite often, but generally at home or on a business trip.  I don’t just head to the bar to drink by myself
For me, it's occasionally.  Only drink at home if it's to have a couple before going out to save money.  :lol:   And I suppose I'm not technically "alone" since my wife and kids are around.

I used to go on lots of business trips and always headed out alone to a bar or restaurant to have a couple and dinner.  No big whoop, I liked being a "lone wolf".

I go to bars by me by myself, but there are always people there I know.  So not sure that qualifies.

RUSF18 said:

In many cases they are being more responsible. At least if they are at home and not bar hopping in at least a semi drunk state.

It depends.  In my apartment, no.  While I'm away for work so not with friends/girlfriend and want to have some wine with dinner or take a break from checking out the city I'm in during the afternoon and stop in a brasserie or a pub, then yes.

Saw Thorogood at some Festival in Telluride.  They had to drag him off the stage.  I thought it might be part of his act.  Maybe it was, but I'm sure he was smashed.

Kept stumbling around towards the end and ended up flat out on his back after the last song, arms and legs outstretched.  Classic.  He knew he'd be taken care of and didn't give a ####.  We were right there.  We've all been there.

Saw Thorogood at some Festival in Telluride.  They had to drag him off the stage.  I thought it might be part of his act.  Maybe it was, but I'm sure he was smashed.

Kept stumbling around towards the end and ended up flat out on his back after the last song, arms and legs outstretched.  Classic.  He knew he'd be taken care of and didn't give a ####.  We were right there.  We've all been there.
I've never been to Telluride. 

You would think either Jack or Jimmy would be there to pick him up.

Users who are viewing this thread