What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Atlanta for Visit (1 Viewer)

Mr. Ected

Footballguy
Going to be in Atlanta for 3-4 days next summer. 2 kids are going to be at Space Camp in Huntsville, AL and wife and other kid are looking to go there fo a little visit from a Sun Nite thru Thursday. The first year we went to Nashville and Memphis, and went to Destin, FL last year.

Looking for places to go, things to see, places to eat, and good places to stay.

TIA!!

Some places to start looking at:

• Georgia Aquarium
  • Civil Rights Museum
  • College Football HOF
  • World of Coke
  • Stone Mountain (about 30 minutes or so from downtown)
  • Centennial Olympic Park (not really much to do here but you can check out the park)
  • Six Flags (this is a hard pass for me in summer but YMMV)
  • More: Botanical Gardens, Atlanta Zoo, High Museum of Art, Fernbank Museum
Comments:

• Summer is hot, very hot and humid - just a warning if you plan to do a lot of outdoor activities/walking
  • On restaurants, there's plenty to choose from - what kind of food do you like?  I'm not a big high-end restaurant guy but based on your food choices I can make some recommendations
  • My opinion is Atlanta is a great place to work/live but not a great destination city
  • If you golf there's a lot of golf courses in the city

The Vortex for a bison burger and beer!  Chili dog(s) at The Varsity.  Mary Mac’s for southern soul food.  Front Page News for brunch and killer Bloody Mary bar.  Fat Matt’s for bbq and live blues music.  Piedmont Park will probably have some kind of festival/event going on.  Get drunk and ride MARTA, it’s a trip

Last edited by a moderator:
Some places to start looking at:

• Georgia Aquarium
  • Civil Rights Museum
  • College Football HOF
  • World of Coke
  • Stone Mountain (about 30 minutes or so from downtown)
  • Centennial Olympic Park (not really much to do here but you can check out the park)
  • Six Flags (this is a hard pass for me in summer but YMMV)
  • More: Botanical Gardens, Atlanta Zoo, High Museum of Art, Fernbank Museum
Comments:

• Summer is hot, very hot and humid - just a warning if you plan to do a lot of outdoor activities/walking
  • On restaurants, there's plenty to choose from - what kind of food do you like?  I'm not a big high-end restaurant guy but based on your food choices I can make some recommendations
  • My opinion is Atlanta is a great place to work/live but not a great destination city
  • If you golf there's a lot of golf courses in the city
Thanks for the info! We're coming from DC, so we understand the heat/humidity issue (not as as bad, I'm sure, but we've experienced it!).
We have a Six Flags not far from us, so I agree with the pass. Is there anything special that they have at the Zoo? Like the Pandas they have here at the Smithsonian Zoo in DC.

It's the only place on earth worse than Memphis.  @bigmarc27

There is a cool little throwback polynesian bar in the basement of one of the old hotels in downtown. Very 50's-60's Don Ho vibe.
We are just looking for a place to see and kill a couple days while we the kids are at Space Camp. Do you have any suggestions that are fairly close to Huntsville? We are heading to Hilton Head after the kids are done, so no need to hit a beach.

Memphis was just something to check off the list, we wanted to see Graceland. Don't think we'll be heading back. Did like Nashville though.

Don't go to the Varsity. Unless you like vomiting and diarrhea. In that case, go to the Varsity.

As noted above- 

Ga Aquarium

World of Coke

CNN/Centennial Park

Stone Mountain

Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield if you like Civil War stuffMore Civil War stuff- Atlanta Cyclorama, which I believe is right next to the zoo

Zoo Atlanta has pandas, and they are building an African savanna attraction with elephants and giraffes and whatnot

Ditch the kids one night and hit the Clermont Lounge

Little Five Points/Virginia Highlands

I'd forget Atlanta and head to Smoky Mountain Park Area - cooler temps, things to see and do.

I agree with what AAA said - "My opinion is Atlanta is a great place to work/live but not a great destination city"  It's pretty boring when all is said and done.

Check out the Georgian Terrace hotel.  Stayed in a three bedroom there a few years ago - it was very reasonable rate.

Users who are viewing this thread