What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

IDP Free Agency 2019 (1 Viewer)

Hankmoody

Footballguy
We don't get much to talk about around here, and I've been much lower activity lately than I would prefer, but this is a premium chance to get some chatter going in here, so LET'S DO IT!

CJ Moseley to the Jets - ouch.  I would have preferred nothing change here, he was a stud and keeping the status quo never hurts.  This caps Avery Williamson's upside and probably means Darron Lee is out, although I could see Greg Wililams coming up with specialty roles for him as well.  Kenny Young just got very interesting.

Kwon Alexander to the 49er - they get their replacement for Foster but he's getting very bad reviews from fans/ratings.  IDC what he gets if he produces like he was.  Big bump for Lavonte David and if Kendall Beckwith is on your wire you need to snag him.

Zadarius Smith to GBP - yawn, but mostly because I'm in all tackle-heavy league so EDGE guys aren't interesting.  Does he have the juice to be a contributor in big-play leagues?

Preston Smith to GBP - see Zadarius above, except Preston isn't nearly as talented.

Adrain Amos to GBP - ok now we're talking.  Amos was always a fringe player, but this is a big financial commitment and there are about a bajillion tackles available in the GBP secondary.  Can I get sprinkles too?

Lamarcus Joyner to Oakland - not sure how I feel about this one, both as a Raider fan and owner.  He's been very up/down and he seems like a guy without a true position.  I'm not sure Paul Gunther's scheme will use him as a Matthieu/Budda type role I think he needs to post big numbers, and I'm not sure he has the talent to take advantage even if he did.  Would love to be wrong.

Denzel Perryman remains with LAC - good.  Again, I am a fan of status quo and if he can stay healthy I think he can put up some numbers, he has flashed in the past.

Thomas Davis to the LAC - mostly meh, he's old and not quick any more.  But he put up passable numbers last year.  This might mean Jatavis Brown is truly awful (which means I am going to snag him everywhere free and wait for Davis to get hurt).

Trey Flowers to DET - all kinds of yes.  I think he gets the chance to just pin his ears back and rush all day long here.  They desperately need it and have zero options to generate pressure.  I think he was held back a lot by the NEP scheme.

Dante Fowler stays in LAR - depends on his designation.  Is he a DE with very little competition for pass rushing snaps or another EDGE 3-4 guy to ignore?

Sheldon Richardson to CLE - meh, and that's only if you are in DT-required leagues.  Down right snoozer if not.  Not that I don't like Richardon's talent, he's fine, but now with Garrett, Obunobi, and Vernon to compete with this doesn't look tasty.  And all he's gonna do is steal a few sacks from those other guys too, capping them a little bit.

Kareem Jackson to DEN - I got nothing here.  Do the donks have anyone there?  The deal is a huge one, $11M per year, so this is a full-on marriage either way.

Kenny Vaccaro back to TEN - he was ok there last year, but Byard's presence and their 2-high scheme caps his ceiling, and not the 12 foot colonial style, but the 6 foot drop ceiling types you find in basements from the 70's.

Honey Badger to KCC - well the snaps are definitely there, the only question will be his role.  If they keep him deep all day this hurts but I suspect he'll be all over the place again.

What else you got?

Zadarius Smith to GBP - yawn, but mostly because I'm in all tackle-heavy league so EDGE guys aren't interesting.  Does he have the juice to be a contributor in big-play leagues?
If he gets a DE designation, this could be a huge boost for IDP.  Pettine does more 4-3 than 3-4, we just have to hope for the DE tag.

Bethea to the Giants is a good landing spot - he moves into Collins's role and even though he's old, he showed last season he can still produce.

Man, I remember him filling in for Bob Sanders... seems like 20 years ago.

Torn on a couple of these as my league does reward big plays more than some so Smith could have some value in GB.  I'm really on the fence with the guy as I have him and can keep him but in our format he outperformed his contract last year as I'd picked him up as a FA for cheap and I'd have to give him a healthy pay raise.  However, it hadn't occurred to me that he could get a DE designation where I've pretty much got Flowers and a bunch of JAGS (that term may be too generous for a couple of these guys).  Also have Moseley and having him leave Baltimore isn't ideal, but I'm not too worried as there should be oodles of tackle opportunities in NY unless their offense takes a major step forward.  What he loses in situation he may just make up in increased volume of tackle opportunities. 

Tick said:
Bethea to the Giants is a good landing spot - he moves into Collins's role and even though he's old, he showed last season he can still produce.

Man, I remember him filling in for Bob Sanders... seems like 20 years ago.
Sounds like Jabrill Peppers is going to NYG in the Beckham deal... I'm not sure where he'll fit in, but that has the potential to sink Bethea.

Hankmoody said:
Kwon Alexander to the 49er - they get their replacement for Foster but he's getting very bad reviews from fans/ratings.  IDC what he gets if he produces like he was.  Big bump for Lavonte David and if Kendall Beckwith is on your wire you need to snag him.
Trevor Sikema said on his latest podcast that Beckwith still isn't fully recovered and may not be ready any time soon...might want to pump the brakes on him if that info is accurate.  Plus, Bucs add D. Buchanon, who probably takes opportunity away from Beckwith (I don't see David losing action to anyone...)

Sounds like Jabrill Peppers is going to NYG in the Beckham deal... I'm not sure where he'll fit in, but that has the potential to sink Bethea.
Peppers always seemed more like a SS, but in Cleveland was consistently played like a FS.  Bethea also struck me as a hybrid guy more than an in-the-box safety.  Do the Giants have a true strong safety on their roster now?

Kwon is Kwon... he puts up solid tackle numbers and will blow up a few games with strip sacks or pick-6. I do worry a bit about Warner's numbers but if Kwon misses as many tackles as the PFF grades say, Fred should be able to get his. 

I really want to see Trey Flowers get a genuine, top snap count DE role in DET. I think he was definitely limited by the packages and general "sacks aren't as important" philosophy in NE. But I'm not sold he's a stud, either, so buyer beware. Probably too costly with this news viewed so positively but he is a guy I'd love to buy from an owner that gets sour on him after a slow start in DET. 

Mosely leaving BAL... Any change tends to be a bit scary and that's a massive guaranteed number. Hopefully he's motivated to earn as much of that $85 MILLION as possible over the next 5 years. Love the results if I'm a Kenny Young owner (sadly, I'm not). Big fall for Lee's stock. Add Levine.

I like Peppers to NYG if he can earn time. I didn't get to see much of the Browns but it read in stats and articles like nothing made it to the safeties in CLE. Splitting time will still likely kill his value if he can't take over a spot. I mentioned elsewhere that I might try shopping my Browns IDPs around for a return now because it's looking like too many mouths to feed now. 

Thomas Davis to LAC is ok. None of us are really trusting Brown or Perryman there, right? Too many let downs and with Kyzir White coming back I'm happy they didn't go for one of the available, young, top LBs. I feel a little safer owning shares of White and Perryman, though it still could be wasted roster spots rather than a payoff for your patience.

Adrian Amos is very interesting but I'll pass. He has been mediocre and I doubt I can get past my aversion to GB safeties after shuffling Josh Jones and Kendrell Brice on and off rosters the last few years. This also opens up a whopping hole in the Bears secondary that needs to be watched.  

I read something a week ago about Eric Berry likely being safe b/c there wasn't much money to be saved. Mathieu going there has to make you wonder if Berry might actually get cut, anyway. A few million is a few million, I guess? Thought they'd pay him 13 of 15 million due this year. Honestly, I'm kind of excited about the prospect of both on the field all game.

Deone Bucannon to TB is a best case scenrio for him. Joins the coaches that drafted him and used him in a way that made him a top FF LB. Apparently a 1 year deal, which makes it even more attractive for FF owners since it's a prove-it deal and automatic contract year again. He may be on your wire, as long as you're not in a league with me, anyway, b/c I added him everywhere I could to end 2018.

Hicks to AZ on a deal that got dwarfed by both Kwon and Mosley... I bet he wishes he'd waited an extra day. lol. I plan to sniff around for a decent deal to acquire him. A few down years and now he moves to a team with a terrible offense (on paper) so he could see plenty of action. Same applies to Suggs but there may not be as many sack opportunities so I'm not jumping to add an old, edge player.

I read something a week ago about Eric Berry likely being safe b/c there wasn't much money to be saved. Mathieu going there has to make you wonder if Berry might actually get cut, anyway. A few million is a few million, I guess? Thought they'd pay him 13 of 15 million due this year. Honestly, I'm kind of excited about the prospect of both on the field all game.
Well, KC is going to need plenty of help in the secondary since they jettisoned most of their pass rush. 

Well, KC is going to need plenty of help in the secondary since they jettisoned most of their pass rush. 
True. lol. I'm working under the assumption that Justin Houston will sign for a reduced cost, though. Cap casualty and so far there's nothing about him being courted by other teams. 

Tick said:
If he gets a DE designation, this could be a huge boost for IDP.  Pettine does more 4-3 than 3-4, we just have to hope for the DE tag.
Great call, I had forgotten about Pettine.  This could be a very significant finding.

I dunno about Buchanon to TB, he seems to be a clone of Lavonte David and I don't think either of them are really MIKE types.  I hope so, he was dropped in one of my leagues and I snapped him right up, but this is one of the worst spots IMO.  LAR, BAL, PIT, heck there's gotta be quite a few better places for him to land.

Not technically FA talk since it was tag & trade, but a DE designation could be possible for Dee Ford in SF, as well. If he's SAM the only value is big play scoring.

EDIT: Kwon in SF also completely torpedoes any stash value Elijah Lee may have had. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hankmoody said:
We don't get much to talk about around here, and I've been much lower activity lately than I would prefer, but this is a premium chance to get some chatter going in here, so LET'S DO IT!

CJ Moseley to the Jets - ouch.  I would have preferred nothing change here, he was a stud and keeping the status quo never hurts.  This caps Avery Williamson's upside and probably means Darron Lee is out, although I could see Greg Wililams coming up with specialty roles for him as well.  Kenny Young just got very interesting.

Preston Smith to GBP - see Zadarius above, except Preston isn't nearly as talented.

Adrain Amos to GBP - ok now we're talking.  Amos was always a fringe player, but this is a big financial commitment and there are about a bajillion tackles available in the GBP secondary.  Can I get sprinkles too?

Lamarcus Joyner to Oakland - not sure how I feel about this one, both as a Raider fan and owner.  He's been very up/down and he seems like a guy without a true position.  I'm not sure Paul Gunther's scheme will use him as a Matthieu/Budda type role I think he needs to post big numbers, and I'm not sure he has the talent to take advantage even if he did.  Would love to be wrong.

Denzel Perryman remains with LAC - good.  Again, I am a fan of status quo and if he can stay healthy I think he can put up some numbers, he has flashed in the past.

Thomas Davis to the LAC - mostly meh, he's old and not quick any more.  But he put up passable numbers last year.  This might mean Jatavis Brown is truly awful (which means I am going to snag him everywhere free and wait for Davis to get hurt).

Trey Flowers to DET - all kinds of yes.  I think he gets the chance to just pin his ears back and rush all day long here.  They desperately need it and have zero options to generate pressure.  I think he was held back a lot by the NEP scheme.

Dante Fowler stays in LAR - depends on his designation.  Is he a DE with very little competition for pass rushing snaps or another EDGE 3-4 guy to ignore?

Sheldon Richardson to CLE - meh, and that's only if you are in DT-required leagues.  Down right snoozer if not.  Not that I don't like Richardon's talent, he's fine, but now with Garrett, Obunobi, and Vernon to compete with this doesn't look tasty.  And all he's gonna do is steal a few sacks from those other guys too, capping them a little bit.

Kareem Jackson to DEN - I got nothing here.  Do the donks have anyone there?  The deal is a huge one, $11M per year, so this is a full-on marriage either way.

Kenny Vaccaro back to TEN - he was ok there last year, but Byard's presence and their 2-high scheme caps his ceiling, and not the 12 foot colonial style, but the 6 foot drop ceiling types you find in basements from the 70's.

Honey Badger to KCC - well the snaps are definitely there, the only question will be his role.  If they keep him deep all day this hurts but I suspect he'll be all over the place again.

What else you got?
Does Flowers stay a DE in DET or go OLB? Need to know asap. Thanks 

What do we think about Jordan Hicks in Arizona?  Does the 3-4 defense hurt his value or do you think he can be a top 10-15 LB?

Kwon is Kwon... he puts up solid tackle numbers and will blow up a few games with strip sacks or pick-6. I do worry a bit about Warner's numbers but if Kwon misses as many tackles as the PFF grades say, Fred should be able to get his. 

I really want to see Trey Flowers get a genuine, top snap count DE role in DET. I think he was definitely limited by the packages and general "sacks aren't as important" philosophy in NE. But I'm not sold he's a stud, either, so buyer beware. Probably too costly with this news viewed so positively but he is a guy I'd love to buy from an owner that gets sour on him after a slow start in DET. 

Mosely leaving BAL... Any change tends to be a bit scary and that's a massive guaranteed number. Hopefully he's motivated to earn as much of that $85 MILLION as possible over the next 5 years. Love the results if I'm a Kenny Young owner (sadly, I'm not). Big fall for Lee's stock. Add Levine.

I like Peppers to NYG if he can earn time. I didn't get to see much of the Browns but it read in stats and articles like nothing made it to the safeties in CLE. Splitting time will still likely kill his value if he can't take over a spot. I mentioned elsewhere that I might try shopping my Browns IDPs around for a return now because it's looking like too many mouths to feed now. 

Thomas Davis to LAC is ok. None of us are really trusting Brown or Perryman there, right? Too many let downs and with Kyzir White coming back I'm happy they didn't go for one of the available, young, top LBs. I feel a little safer owning shares of White and Perryman, though it still could be wasted roster spots rather than a payoff for your patience.

Adrian Amos is very interesting but I'll pass. He has been mediocre and I doubt I can get past my aversion to GB safeties after shuffling Josh Jones and Kendrell Brice on and off rosters the last few years. This also opens up a whopping hole in the Bears secondary that needs to be watched.  

Do you think Flowers stays a DE or goes OLB? In DET?

Hankmoody said:
i was kind of hoping Larry Ogu would make the jump this year. you don't bring Sheldon in to be a space eater, however. 

If memory serves, Flowers played 3-4 DE his first season (maybe 2) before NE switched to 4-3. I don't think there's reason for concern. I expect he will retain his DE designation.

Using phone atm so I'm not digging too far into it. Just my memory as a NE fan. That's probably more on roto/mfl than the Lions, though. 

I dunno about Buchanon to TB, he seems to be a clone of Lavonte David and I don't think either of them are really MIKE types.  I hope so, he was dropped in one of my leagues and I snapped him right up, but this is one of the worst spots IMO.  LAR, BAL, PIT, heck there's gotta be quite a few better places for him to land.
On the up side, though, Tampa has one of the most generous stat crews in the league for IDP tacklers, so Bucannon figures to see a bump just from changing home stadiums.  

Part of the reason for the disconnect in valuation of Kwon between NFL analysts and FF guys was the stat crew.  Kwon and David both compile a lot of numbers owing to their tendency to give a full tackle + assist on every play, vs. most teams giving only two assists.

I’ve been sneaking Josh Sweat and Matthew Thomas onto my Zealots teams. Bennett and Mosley’s respective exits leave holes on their teams and both are top tier athletes that could fill in. I like Kenny Young and think he’ll get first crack but weirder things have occured.

Anyone know how to make heads or tales of the Bengals LB situation? Been thinking about targeting Malik Jefferson but feels like their whole strategy of getting high end athletes at the position the last few years has been garbage because they aren’t very good football players. Jordan Evans has been a constant disappointment. 

Also does anyone have any deep sleeper safety targets? Trying to rebuild some DB corps from scratch.

Anyone know how to make heads or tales of the Bengals LB situation? Been thinking about targeting Malik Jefferson but feels like their whole strategy of getting high end athletes at the position the last few years has been garbage because they aren’t very good football players. Jordan Evans has been a constant disappointment. 

Also does anyone have any deep sleeper safety targets? Trying to rebuild some DB corps from scratch.
Wait until the season starts.  DB's always come out of nowhere to the top of the leaderboard.  Just pick them up at that time.  There is enough turnover every year you can always find someone above average to insert in your lineup. 

I agree with Gally that right now isn't really the time to get a S since most on the wire are unknown situations. If there's roster room and you really want to add someone, Mathias Farley isn't a bad stash. He's a tendered RFA that has produced when starting, and Geathers could sign elsewhere. 

Bengals LBs... Jefferson as a dart is probably the only one I'll even consider adding as a stash. Nickerson, Evans, Vigil have all had chances and done nothing to make me run out and get them. Taze just got cut so really the most desirable FF LB on that roster... isn't on that roster, yet. By default, Preston Brown should be on a roster as the ILB. It's tough to gauge any of the current players with a new regime, as well.

Bengals LBs... Jefferson as a dart is probably the only one I'll even consider adding as a stash. Nickerson, Evans, Vigil have all had chances and done nothing to make me run out and get them. Taze just got cut so really the most desirable FF LB on that roster... isn't on that roster, yet. By default, Preston Brown should be on a roster as the ILB. It's tough to gauge any of the current players with a new regime, as well.
i pulled Malik off the WW at the end of the offseason. i've been trying to follow along and it's a mess. Nickerson, Evans, and Vigil are all bums. Jefferson's problem based on the comments from coaches was the mental side of it. he just wasn''t adjusting to the coaching and understanding the game plan. the coaches and malik are all saying the right things this early on but they like his obvious athleticism. i'll be keen to see if how OTAs shape up. that said, i wouldn't be surprised to see them investing in a better LB in the early rounds of the draft to ensure a playmaker at the position.

Users who are viewing this thread