What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

BoostFuel -- Gas delivery service (1 Viewer)

Any extra that you might pay is worth it when you factor in time saved by not waiting in a line for gas.

I think this is pretty cool and really has room for expansion. I would love to have my car filled while I sleep at night. 

I think where they can expand is if they can offer a quick charge for electric cars. I know around here there are limited places for electric cars to charge. 

I think this is pretty cool and really has room for expansion. I would love to have my car filled while I sleep at night. 

I think where they can expand is if they can offer a quick charge for electric cars. I know around here there are limited places for electric cars to charge. 
That would be a gold mine.  If you could have someone come by and charge your electric car while you're at work or at an appointment, that would be worth an insane amount of money on a subscription service.

Who waits in line for gas?
@dgreen is right about Costco, we avoid it like the plague if there is a line. Even with out the line, if you could save the time you had to go get gas, it would be worth it.

You'd think NoVA/DC would be a good place for this service. A truck or two could roam around Tyson's and get a bunch of clients. I know my wife would use it at her office.

@dgreen is right about Costco, we avoid it like the plague if there is a line. Even with out the line, if you could save the time you had to go get gas, it would be worth it.

You'd think NoVA/DC would be a good place for this service. A truck or two could roam around Tyson's and get a bunch of clients. I know my wife would use it at her office.
Oh, yeah.  D.C. would be a great market - I haven't been there in years, but when I was on Capitol Hill, I seem to recall there are no gas stations that are convenient to anyone.  That makes sense.

Oh, yeah.  D.C. would be a great market - I haven't been there in years, but when I was on Capitol Hill, I seem to recall there are no gas stations that are convenient to anyone.  That makes sense.
You are correct, downtown DC would be perfect, there are only a couple of stations in the main downtown area. The trucks would have to be able to get in to parking lots, but if they got a deal with a couple of the owners of the larger parking lot companies, they would be set.

NoVA is set up with bunches of more compact areas that have lots of places where people work/live/shop that would be ideal for this.

Meh.  I'd rather just get it myself when I'm out and about.  
Yeah, I'm not seeing the great value here. Getting gas isn't much of a hassle. I'm not sure what problem they're solving.

A Google search indicates that their gas is $0.05 cheaper than gas stations, so a cheaper product (saving less than $1 for most car fill-ups) combined with saving a few minutes of time is a slight benefit but nothing amazing. If it was in my area, I'd give it a try but I don't see this as some great service. Maybe when it's cold it would be nice to not have to go get gas?

Most importantly, gas stations are an awesome opportunity to clean out my car while the pump is going. Those trash cans are always full because people use them to get rid of extra car trash. Will BoostFuel take away my trash?

You are correct, downtown DC would be perfect, there are only a couple of stations in the main downtown area. The trucks would have to be able to get in to parking lots, but if they got a deal with a couple of the owners of the larger parking lot companies, they would be set.

NoVA is set up with bunches of more compact areas that have lots of places where people work/live/shop that would be ideal for this.
Most parking in downtown DC are parking garages. I don't see these trucks going into garages. I also don't see them filling up a car in a curbside spot. Pretty much the only surface lots downtown are related to the Capitol and Congress parking, so there's a potential opportunity...if security will allow it.

Yeah, I'm not seeing the great value here. Getting gas isn't much of a hassle. I'm not sure what problem they're solving.

A Google search indicates that their gas is $0.05 cheaper than gas stations, so a cheaper product (saving less than $1 for most car fill-ups) combined with saving a few minutes of time is a slight benefit but nothing amazing. If it was in my area, I'd give it a try but I don't see this as some great service. Maybe when it's cold it would be nice to not have to go get gas?

Most importantly, gas stations are an awesome opportunity to clean out my car while the pump is going. Those trash cans are always full because people use them to get rid of extra car trash. Will BoostFuel take away my trash?
And will BoostFuel sell me cigarettes and Powerball tickets?

I don't see how this really solves a problem. When I'm around 1/4 of tank, I'll pull into a gas station on my current route, fill my tank, and move along 4 minutes later. 

My company partners with a service that brings a mobile garage once a week or so and does oil changes, tire rotations, basic maintenance. It's more expensive than a Jiffy Lube or a dealership but you can't beat the convenience. Never occurred to me to do this with gasoline too, but if they offered it I'd probably use it.

Most parking in downtown DC are parking garages. I don't see these trucks going into garages. I also don't see them filling up a car in a curbside spot. Pretty much the only surface lots downtown are related to the Capitol and Congress parking, so there's a potential opportunity...if security will allow it.
Downtown DC might be tough, but something like Crystal City, Pentagon City, Tysons, Reston. These areas would be great. Also in those areas, you have some people who are willing to pay more for not having to do something!

You guys sound like my wife. Is getting gas that much of an inconvenience?

Not sure what the big deal is. You are running low stop in and get gas for 5 min.

I've waited in line at Costco as well. Lines move fast. 

I didn't see what the premium for this service is, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to be worth the 2 minutes in a gas station.

Though the guy gets a bonus point for being named Mycroft.

I didn't see what the premium for this service is, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to be worth the 2 minutes in a gas station.

Though the guy gets a bonus point for being named Mycroft.
There is no premium.  In fact, it's the same or lower price than what you pay at gas stations.  That's the beauty of it. 

Not that there's some raging need for it, but if you can get it done for same or lower cost and get your tank filled with a click on your phone, why wouldn't you?

There is no premium.  In fact, it's the same or lower price than what you pay at gas stations.  That's the beauty of it. 

Not that there's some raging need for it, but if you can get it done for same or lower cost and get your tank filled with a click on your phone, why wouldn't you?
That sure changes the equation - sure, why not if cost isn't a consideration.  I wonder how they can stay in business.  Everything I've heard is that gas stations break even on gas and make money inside.  

That sure changes the equation - sure, why not if cost isn't a consideration.  I wonder how they can stay in business.  Everything I've heard is that gas stations break even on gas and make money inside.  
You should try watching the short video in the OP  :)

It's because the gas station has to pay for the overhead of the station itself and it's built into the price.  They have no overhead so they can pass those savings along.

I don't really drive much anymore, but hypothetically:

- Because I'd need to add another app to my phone and (I assume) link my credit card/bank account to it.

- Because I'd need to remember to leave my gas tank open when I go into work in the morning.

- As others have noted, because sometimes a trip to the gas station accomplishes more than just getting gas (e.g. cleaning the car, buying things from the store, etc.)

I know the above sound trivial but on the flip side, getting gas has never really felt like a major inconvenience, for me personally this is just a solution in search of a problem that doesn't really exist.

You should try watching the short video in the OP  :)

It's because the gas station has to pay for the overhead of the station itself and it's built into the price.  They have no overhead so they can pass those savings along.
I watched all of it this time.  Their overhead is the vehicles and the drivers (they definitely do have overhead costs!).  I guess that ends up being lower than a patch of dirt and the associated taxes and upkeep, etc.  He seems to have figured out how to beat the cost structure of a traditional gas station.  I'm impressed.  It may even be marginally more environmentally friendly to have the gas go to a big parking lot instead of folks taking detours to go get gas individually.

That's nothing. There's a new app that will literally wipe your ### for you. All you have to do is remember to leave your pants down. Bonus is that is saves at least a dollar a month on toilet paper expenses.

Great idea and I could see myself using it from time to time.  There have been plenty of moments where I'm running around crazy and realize we're getting low - it'd be nice to have this service stop by while I'm at soccer practice or something to fill me up.

Great idea and I could see myself using it from time to time.  There have been plenty of moments where I'm running around crazy and realize we're getting low - it'd be nice to have this service stop by while I'm at soccer practice or something to fill me up.
Exactly this.

Or when my wife wants to take my car because she's getting low.

folks taking detours to go get gas individually.
I understand there are parts of the country like this, but I never have to really detour in order to get gas. And it seems like they are piloting this in the Bay Area and DFW which I'd think are also areas where their customers don't really have to detour of their ideal path in order to get gas.

Exactly this.

Another one I'd like is where I'm out of town in an unfamiliar city.  It'd be cool to just hit the app when I wake up the morning of our departure and get a fill-up while we check out of the hotel.  That way we hit the ground running without having to worry about finding my way around the concrete jungle.

Serious question - how many cars access to inside the vehicle to unlatch the tank? Any car I've ever owned you just push on the fuel door and it opens right up. 
Our dying 2005 Honda Odyssey has it. Newer version has the push-open.

Serious question - how many cars require access to inside the vehicle to unlatch the tank? Any car I've ever owned you just push on the fuel door and it opens right up. 
My gas door locks when I lock the doors.

Only people who get gas from Costco. Those lines are insane. No idea what those people are doing. 
Me neither.  That's just terrible planning on their part.   I always go to costco during the week 20 minutes before they close.   The store is empty and by time you're done when the gas station stays open an hour after store closing, the pumps are empty.    

Seems like a weird time to get into this. Aren't all the major manufacturers moving away from gas powered cars. Not seeing the need for electric cars either. Arent we already charging these at night when we sleep?

Exactly this.

Yep--my wife has this game she likes to play with her car called "How low can i get the tank and keep driving."  Every single time I go to get in her car, the gas light is on. It drives me crazy.

Interesting concept I suppose, especially if they plan on parlaying it into mobile charging of electric vehicles.  

But like others this would be wasted on me.  I always get gas on my normal route(s).

I don't think I'd look at this as a "Wow, I'm never going into another gas station again!" service; it would be a more of a convenience when traveling  like @Ned mentioned, or if you in the office, why not check one thing off the list without having to do anything. 

Didn't listen to the video ...

Do the parking lot owners need to sign off on this?

Gasoline and asphalt are not a good mix. There's a reason all gas stations are concrete around the pumps.

If I were the business/ property owner, I wouldn't wan't them in my lot. 

Users who are viewing this thread