What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Selling subordinated secured notes - Finance Guys (1 Viewer)

skycriesmary

Climbing up the Walls
Is there much of a market to sell secured notes that have been subordinated multiple times? The note is secured with hard assets in the form of manufacturing equipment, but no property. The note is 100k, and has interest payments due of 3% per month. I'm wondering what kind of range percentage wise from the face value of the note I could expect, and how much it's pushed down considering it's been subordinated three times. 

Not my area of expertise, but I would imagine the credit worthiness of the individual or company is going to play a huge role and to some degree the value of the equipment it's secured with (although less so since it's subordinated), i.e. not enough information to determine anything.

Is there much of a market to sell secured notes that have been subordinated multiple times? The note is secured with hard assets in the form of manufacturing equipment, but no property. The note is 100k, and has interest payments due of 3% per month. I'm wondering what kind of range percentage wise from the face value of the note I could expect, and how much it's pushed down considering it's been subordinated three times. 
there are note buyers out there, but do not expect 100% return.  it’s gonna be discounted.  i don’t think the subordinations are that big a deal, but they need to be read through.  do they prevent all payments, principal payments, etc.  the collateral has likely depreciated significantly, so that, combined with payer history will determine a lot.  

there are note buyers out there, but do not expect 100% return.  it’s gonna be discounted.  i don’t think the subordinations are that big a deal, but they need to be read through.  do they prevent all payments, principal payments, etc.  the collateral has likely depreciated significantly, so that, combined with payer history will determine a lot.  
Thanks for your feedback. The subordination agreement prevents principle payment, but not monthly interest payments. Principal payments must be ok'd with those who the document was subordinated for. I don't expect to get near 100%, but am looking at options for now. Payer history is current with interest payment so far.

skycriesmary said:
Thanks for your feedback. The subordination agreement prevents principle payment, but not monthly interest payments. Principal payments must be ok'd with those who the document was subordinated for. I don't expect to get near 100%, but am looking at options for now. Payer history is current with interest payment so far.
so, in the back of your mind you need to say “what will i get on the dollar here” .60, .50?  theory is if you or someone else needs to liquidate the collateral, what will sell it for and to who and how?  will a buyer want to perform due diligence?  will you need a non disclosure and sharing agreement to be executed?  when does that note mature?  that could be a key cause a buyer may be able to get out in full by not renewing.  

Don't forget about actually being able to obtain access to the equipment in order to seize and liquidate.

There a good chance this would be valued as unsecured debt. It’s subordinated, and manufacturing equipment could have very little or no value depending on the circumstances. 
This is the answer, they are most likely behind secured debt which makes the equipment worthless.  Do you know what the capital structure currently is (is there senior debt)?  Next you would need to look at the credit quality of the company.  Would they be able to take you out either with new debt or with traditional bank debt?  Honestly there probably is a deep discount to sell the note in a secondary market. 

Also have to look at whatever assets are securing the debt above your note. If that equipment is part of the building that someone has priority over you on, good luck again.

Basically you should expect to sell at a deep deep discount so if you're getting offered something remotely close to par I'd snatch it quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread