What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Antonio Brown And Derek Carr Hug... (1 Viewer)

Ahhhh, 

I didn't even click it because the whole thing gave me the willies from the get-go. Maybe AB is just happy to be in Oakland?  

This is also why some men (and women) don't follow sports anymore -- the soap opera/reality television aspect of well-paid sport, that is.  

Ahhhh, 

I didn't even click it because the whole thing gave me the willies from the get-go. Maybe AB is just happy to be in Oakland?  

This is also why some men (and women) don't follow sports anymore -- the soap opera/reality television aspect of well-paid sport, that is.  
That's what's interesting. I"m sure he's happy to be there. It was the "let's drop by the QB's house and bring all the cameras with us" was just super awkward. 

That's what's interesting. I"m sure he's happy to be there. It was the "let's drop by the QB's house and bring all the cameras with us" was just super awkward. 
Ugh. Yeah. That's weird, now that you put it in black-and-white like that. 

I'd imagine Carr was gracious, because he seems like that kind of guy, but who knows what he was thinking? 

I’m guessing this is nothing more than another childish shot at Ben and PIT, since he made it a point to mention that they never came over to his house.  It would fit with what we’ve learned about him in the past few months.

I’m guessing this is nothing more than another childish shot at Ben and PIT, since he made it a point to mention that they never came over to his house.  It would fit with what we’ve learned about him in the past few months.
I wondered that too. 

Just seems so odd.

And for sure, none of this means anything. This is what we talk about in March... ;)  

How are they chosen, I can't remember. 
Teams can choose to be excluded IF:

1) They have a first-year head coach in place 
2) They have a playoff berth in the past two seasons 
3) They have appeared on Hard Knocks in the past 10 years

That leaves the 49ers, Raiders, Giants, Redskins and Lions.

Who would you want to watch?

How are they chosen, I can't remember. 
It's basically a punishment and the only way out is if you were either:

A. On it already

B. A playoff team

C. Have a first year coach. 

So that leaves 5 teams. I don't remember which 5. But I think it's safe to count out the Redskins. I don't think they want to put any protests in the national stage, and protestors would jump at that opportunity. 

Thanks. I did not know this. Are you certain of this?

Does make sense. I just didn't know there were any set exclusions in place.

Gruden seems like he's never met a camera he didn't like. But I wonder what would happen if a team refuses and they don't fall into one of the exclusions?

The Giants are a dumpster fire, but in sort of a boring way. Put me down for Chuckie.

I guess this is where we are in the day of reality tv and re-enacted scenes. But could this be more awkward and manufactured?

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/03/antonio-brown-derek-carr-raiders
AB: "You're not one of those QBs with that "owner mentality" who likes to direct things and call the shots, are you?"

DC: "No way man, that's not me"

AB: "Good man.  I'll be calling the shots around here"

DC: "Thank God.  Coach and I were hoping somebody would"

I thought it funny that AB referred to Mike Mayock as coach and Gruden said that AB didn't play Division I football.

I agree with the above poster, these things make me dislike the nfl.  

I used to be a huge nba fan but i can't even stomach anymore.  So many #$#$#$# players that are selfish and interested only in themselves.  

The nfl has resisted that trend for so long.  It's been a team sport through and through.  

It's slowly changing though, you can just sense it.

Wow, just saw a replay of the Brown presser,  his goal in being in Oakland and I quote "is to catch Jerry rice". There's the team guy you all are getting in Oakland. I'm disliking this a@@ hole more every day.  At least, he is their problem now.

Wow, just saw a replay of the Brown presser,  his goal in being in Oakland and I quote "is to catch Jerry rice". There's the team guy you all are getting in Oakland. I'm disliking this a@@ hole more every day.  At least, he is their problem now.
Yeah ok. Jerry Rice went from one HOF qb to another, then to a league MVP. Sort of the opposite of what Brown is doing.

Oh and Jerry Rice won a few SBs along the way, without complaining about other guys getting the ball.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't try to get around the language filter. One warning. 

I bet he’ll cry himself to sleep tonight knowing that you dislike him more today than you did yesterday.  😱

About this time last year Carr was picking Jordy Nelson up at the airport and now he and AB are cruising around the bay area same day Jordy got cut. Life comes at you fast.

I really hope the Raiders are on Hard Knocks. It'll be great to see their interactions behind the scenes. 
Yeah, like that show (unlike literally any other "reality" entertainment) is aired without any editorial filters, ensuring you see all context and color, and holding the highest journalistic integrity to avoid heightening or even manufacturing story lines that are otherwise not notable.

From an entertainment angle, Raiders would be interesting for HK this year, but my bet is they are waiting for the first year in Vegas.

There is a lot you could say about AB, or this specific or any other PR-driven piece/sound bite.

But AB stating he wants to be better than the best isn't controversial any way you can spin this.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not controversial, it's just lying or pure foolishness. Seems like he wanted out for money or attention or control.
Tell me more about how Brown saying he wants to catch Jerry Rice translates to wanting out of P'Burgh for more money/attention/control.

Whatever you may feel about AB's motivations (and FWIW I do think he leans more to the diva TO model than a guy like Larry Fitz who puts his head down, stays quiet, and balls out letting his performance do the talking), I think you are reading way too much into this specific quote.

Nothing controversial with a high performing athlete wanting -- and declaring publicly -- that he wants to surpass the very best.  

Users who are viewing this thread