What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Oscars Do-Over: 90-94/ Master Thread (1 Viewer)

Best Picture of 1993

• Jurassic Park

Votes: 14 11.4%
  • Schindler's List

Votes: 71 57.7%
  • Philadelphia

Votes: 13 10.6%
  • The Remains of the Day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Fugitive

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Groundhog Day

Votes: 16 13.0%

• Total voters

Ilov80s

Footballguy
The general premise here is to redo the Oscars for Best Picture and get it right. The Academy has had some real clunkers (Crash, Driving Miss Daisy, etc.) So with hindsight on our side, let’s get it right. I will serve as the Academy and choose which 6ish movies are nominated. You, the FBGuys and FBGals will vote for your winner.

Now, this is also a veiled vanity project where I really just give my own personal Best Picture award. At the end of each voting period, I will reveal my winner for Best Picture. During the thread, there is room for all you to sway me to your side.

I am aware that the most frequent comment will be “why didn’t you include ____?” and “can I write in____?” I welcome the bashing but once the nominations are announced, it’s final. My nominations will attempt to mimic how the Academy actually works. This won’t be Best Superhero/Bond/Rambo movie. There won’t be any documentaries and very rarely will a foreign or animated film get nominated. Nothing against them, it’s just not how the Oscars go. This is meant as an Oscar do-over and not a total re-imagining of the Oscars. Here is my general guide for nominations:

The Test of Time Rule aka The Tom Jones Rule: I don’t care how wildly popular a movie was when it was released if it just doesn’t hold up at all then it is out.

The Other Test of Time Rule aka The Blade Runner Rule: If a movie wasn’t a commercial success or a major critical darling during its original release but has since become a classic, it is the exact kind of movie I want to nominate.

The Entertainment Factor aka The Cimarron Factor: No matter how successful, popular or even groundbreaking a film was, it has to be entertaining.

The Power of Influence aka The Power of Star Wars: Even if a movie is a bit flawed, it will get major bonus points if it made a lasting impression on the future of films.

Zeitgeist Factor aka The Black Panther Factor: While being timeless is great, it is also important to find movies that capture the spirit of their time.

It will be done in 2-year increments to keep the convo somewhat focused. I am starting with the 90s since it’s a fun decade and one where most of us are likely to have seen most of the movies. Also just to make things easier, I am sorting the years by the year the movies came out and now when the Oscars were held. Technically the 1991 Oscars honored the best of 1990, but there is no need to complicate things IMO.

1990 and 1991

Write-Up  and  Final Polling Results

FBG and Ilov80s 1990: Goodfellas, 

FBG and Ilov80s 1991: Silence of the Lambs 

1992 and 1993

Write-Up and Final Polling Results

FBG and Ilov80s 1992: Unforgiven

FBG and Ilov80s 1993: Schindler's List 

1994 and 1995

Write-up and Final Polling Results

1994 FBG: Pulp Fiction,  Ilov80s: Shawshank Redemption

1995 FBG: The Usual Suspects, Ilov80s: Toy Story

1996 and 1997

FBG and Ilov80s 1996: Fargo

FBG and Ilov80s 1997: Goodwill Hunting

1998 and 1999

1998 FBG: Saving Private Ryan,  and Ilov80s: The Truman Show 

1999 FBG: Fight Club, Ilov80s: Being John Malkovich

Last edited by a moderator:
We all know the best film of 1990 was not nominated for an Oscar and anyone who disagrees can cross Graffiti Bridge and take a bite of my purple rock.

Wasn't a big fan of Goodfellas, mostly cuz i dislike the way Scorsese ends movies as much as i love the way he sets em up. It wasn't even the best gangster flick (that is listed below) of the year, but i concede its greatest cultural impact of any '90 flick. So i got no prob w Dances With Wolves, even w the colonialist gaffes, taking Best Picture. But there were 5 movies i liked better than any of the nominees:

Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down

Awakenings

Rosencrantz & Gildenstern Are Dead

The Krays

Vincent & Theo

with Reversal of Fortune and White Hunter, Black Heart not far behind

Tough call for me on 1990 between Goodfellas and Miller's Crossing.  Since I figured Goodfellas will win in a landslide, I went with Miller's Crossing.  I remember being just blown away by it at the time - the style was so distinctive from the usual gangster film, including Goodfellas, and the dialogue was top-rate.  Plus, John Turturro, Gabriel Byrne and Albert Finney?  Stellar. 

1991 was an easier vote, for Silence of the Lambs, based on the options provided.  The Fisher King is beloved by some people whose views I respect, but somehow I never got into it.  Thelma and Louise was important, I guess, but irritated me.  The others weren't even under consideration for me.

We all know the best film of 1990 was not nominated for an Oscar and anyone who disagrees can cross Graffiti Bridge and take a bite of my purple rock.

Wasn't a big fan of Goodfellas, mostly cuz i dislike the way Scorsese ends movies as much as i love the way he sets em up. It wasn't even the best gangster flick (that is listed below) of the year, but i concede its greatest cultural impact of any '90 flick. So i got no prob w Dances With Wolves, even w the colonialist gaffes, taking Best Picture. But there were 5 movies i liked better than any of the nominees:

Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down

Awakenings

Rosencrantz & Gildenstern Are Dead

The Krays

Vincent & Theo

with Reversal of Fortune and White Hunter, Black Heart not far behind
I am going to make a weird comparison with Goodfellas. It reminds me a lot of Top Gun. From the go I am so in on the movie. It's fun and it makes me happy until the ending few scenes. Once Goose dies and once Goodfellas gets dark, I do lose interest. If it's on TV, that is often the point I walk away. I just saw Dances with Wolves recently and was shocked with how good it was and how it wasn't at all the white savior movie I expected. 

Tough call for me on 1990 between Goodfellas and Miller's Crossing.  Since I figured Goodfellas will win in a landslide, I went with Miller's Crossing.  I remember being just blown away by it at the time - the style was so distinctive from the usual gangster film, including Goodfellas, and the dialogue was top-rate.  Plus, John Turturro, Gabriel Byrne and Albert Finney?  Stellar. 

1991 was an easier vote, for Silence of the Lambs, based on the options provided.  The Fisher King is beloved by some people whose views I respect, but somehow I never got into it.  Thelma and Louise was important, I guess, but irritated me.  The others weren't even under consideration for me.
Miller's Crossing is amazing. I was talking about gansgter movies with a few of my friends and somehow none of them had seen it. I told them it better jump to the top of their watchlist. As for 91, I think given the audience here that T2 has a shot...maybe

As for '91 i remember being terribly disappointed that Grand Canyon (i think i'm the only person who just flat loves that flick) wasn't nominated, but that year was all about Lambs. Might have changed movies more than Kane.

Miller's Crossing and Silence of the Lambs for me.

I'm not sure how many times I've watched Miller's Crossing.  It's got everything that I want in a movie -- script, acting, cinematography, and score with a dash of dark humor and noir vibe.  I feel like I still pick up a new detail that I'd missed earlier.  I'd probably put Dances with Wolves as my #2. Goodfellas was fine, but I've never felt the urge to watch it again.  I don't think it did anything special relative to all of the other mob movies out there.

Silence of the Lambs clear winner for 1991 for me.  Not even a close #2 on the list.

As for '91 i remember being terribly disappointed that Grand Canyon (i think i'm the only person who just flat loves that flick) wasn't nominated, but that year was all about Lambs. Might have changed movies more than Kane.
Interesting, how so?

Love the scene where Simon says 'You ain't got the gun, we ain't having this conversation'

Interesting, how so?
Similarly to Kane - changed how movies made us look at people. First person stuff & tracking shots & such (not a technician of anything, so i'll come up short widdat) made it both gothic and intimate. And the subject matter - which kicked off profiling like Hill Street Blues did procedurals - spawned a huge theme for cinema.

I might end up being the only vote for Boyz N the Hood, but having grown up in similar circumstances a lot of it was like watching reality TV.

That movie had a lot of things to say, for those that listened.

But if all of those 1991 movies are on cable at the same time, I click over to Terminator 2.

Unpopular opinion, but The Fisher King is one of my top 3 movies of all time, and I’m not sure what the other 2 are on any given day. 
There is a tremendous amount to love about Fisher King (it's in my alltime top 5 sick-day flix) but i can't stand the way Terry Gilliam puts movies together

Went with Dances With Wolves a hair above Miller's Crossing. I just wish Costner was a better narrator.

Tougher call in 91 between Fisher King and Terminator 2. Totally different movies, but I had to go with Terminator 2 because it absolutely blew me away visually like nothing had since the first Star Wars, and still does today. The story (and the original terminator) is one of very very few that somewhat convincingly handle time traveling as a plot device (which I usually absolutely hate because it's an inherently ridiculous notion that introduces all kinds of improbabilities very few writers can address). Also it was the perfect Arnold role. The only draw back to it was the kid being too screechy throughout. The scene in the sanatorium where Sara Conner is running from the Arnold terminator is cinematic genius.

:lmao:

I'd love to see that list. I googled for it but came up empty.
The only one that’s known for sure on the internet is “steely-eyed blue-eyed stare.”

rumors include “suck in your cheeks” and “smirking into the camera.”

Grand Canyon feels like a zeitgeist. I haven't watched it since the first release. Does it hold up in 2019?

Miller's Crossing and Silence of the Lambs for me.

I'm not sure how many times I've watched Miller's Crossing.  It's got everything that I want in a movie -- script, acting, cinematography, and score with a dash of dark humor and noir vibe.  I feel like I still pick up a new detail that I'd missed earlier.
Are you giving me the high-hat?

As for 1991, I voted for Terminator 2. Love Silence of the Lambs, but Terminator 2 is an all time great. But with the rest of the list, Boyz n the Hood, Fisher King and Thelma and Louise are fairly weak. I preferrred Cape Fear, The Commitments, Hot Shots!, and Hearts of Darkness.

But have you watched it in the last couple of years?
Grand Canyon feels like a zeitgeist. I haven't watched it since the first release. Does it hold up in 2019?
I used to watch it like ya do Shawshank or the Godfathers - everytime your clicker ran by it - until they stopped showing anything but franchise movies on basic cable. I think it is to our modern psychological states what Network was to media - compellingly resonant & predictive.

I used to watch it like ya do Shawshank or the Godfathers - everytime your clicker ran by it - until they stopped showing anything but franchise movies on basic cable. I think it is to our modern psychological states what Network was to media - compellingly intuitive & predictive.
I'M REALLY MAD AND I'M NOT GOING TO PUT UP WITH IT!

I used to watch it like ya do Shawshank or the Godfathers - everytime your clicker ran by it - until they stopped showing anything but franchise movies on basic cable. I think it is to our modern psychological states what Network was to media - compellingly resonant & predictive.
Cool.

Watching many of his films, I often wonder how much better the film would be if someone else had played Costner's role. He was a perfect Crash Davis, but other than that...

I can already tell that I am out of my league in this thread, but...who cares. 

I voted Miller's Crossing for 90. This should come as no surprise to anyone who can see my avatar. The Coen Brothers create pieces that mimic my mind perfectly. 

91,I gotta go with Silence of the Lambs. While it could be argued that The Fisherking also mimics my mind... 🤔... ☹️... I just think Silence is the better pic.

Really nice comments here. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread