What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Oscars Do-Over: 90-94/ Master Thread (2 Viewers)

Best Picture of 1993

• Jurassic Park

Votes: 14 11.4%
  • Schindler's List

Votes: 71 57.7%
  • Philadelphia

Votes: 13 10.6%
  • The Remains of the Day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Fugitive

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Groundhog Day

Votes: 16 13.0%

• Total voters
I am writing up my winners for 90 and 91 best picture. I will go with the old Hemingway approach of writing it drunk and ediitng it sober....so you it won't be posted tonight.
Who you call'in, "you", Hemingway?

Pro-tip: a comma would help! 

Seriously, look forward to it. 

Enjoy the night. 😎

The FBGuys and FBGals have come to a strong consensus. The Academy went 1 for 2 to start the 90s. I am happy to report that FBG did the Academy better. We went 2 for 2. 

1990 Best Picture: Goodfellas

Rags to Riches 

The tracking shot

How am I funny?

Has a movie ever pulled the audience in so closely to the criminal lifestyle? This film is romanticizing the criminal lifestyle , rank and file and those that don’t even rank at all. This is the Godfather for the middle class.  We get gangsters we can relate to. Don Corleone isn't an average Joe but Henry Hill was. Like a regular Joe, he makes some mistakes. He gets shortsighted while looking for the big score.  Shortsighted is exactly what Goodfellas is. When the fun dies out about two-thirds in, the movie begins to as well. However unpleasant the ending is, it still perfectly captures what the paranoid-drug-addicted-drug-dealing-felon must feel when he knows the flames of the candle are about to converge. It might be easy to start and tough to finish, but isn' t that the point?

As for criticism of the narration and narration in general. My defense is simple. Billy Wilder, Citizen Kane and All About Eve. When I hear "As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a gangster" and Tony Bennett drops, I get a movie boner.

1991 Best Picture: Silence of the Lambs

American Girl by Tom Petty

It Puts the Lotion in the Basket

I’m Having an Old Friend for Dinner 

1 out of every 3 podcasts is directly inspired by this film. Women coming face to face with serial killers of the past and present is a popular set-up these days. The women are in control and are asking the questions, finding the answers, sharing the stories and looking to use them to help solve new crimes. Like the legend of the bandits of the Wild West, the bank robbers of the 1930s or 1970s New York Gangsters, America has  always been fascinated with killers. Silence of the Lambs presents the next American evolution of the killer: a lone wolf. Silence of the Lambs sets a template that leaves little room for competition but plenty for imitation. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Oddly, there is something more personally relevant to the average person in a serial killer than a gangster. We won't stop making movies about that til we figure it out.

Oddly, there is something more personally relevant to the average person in a serial killer than a gangster. We won't stop making movies about that til we figure it out.
Interesting, compelling observation.  Now I want to figure it out.

Ilov80s, great job on the thread, and I assume on your write-ups, which I didn't read.

Nice pay day, Hemingway! 👏

Sincerely. 👍

I voted Lambs, so no sell was needed, yet you delivered. The angle of approach here, is new to me. 

On Goodfellers - well, as a Coen guy, I was never gonna buy. However, your words remind me why I would have voted your way if Miller's weren't round. 

Looking forward for next bracket. 👍

I feel the opposite. Maybe there is some kind of introvert vs extrovert factor. I much prefer and can much more relate to the idea of a being park of the pack than being a lone wolf. 

Nice pay day, Hemingway! 👏

Sincerely. 👍

I voted Lambs, so no sell was needed, yet you delivered. The angle of approach here, is new to me. 

On Goodfellers - well, as a Coen guy, I was never gonna buy. However, your words remind me why I would have voted your way if Miller's weren't round. 

Looking forward for next bracket. 👍

Looks like I figured out how to remove the old poll and put a new one in so hopefully we get as many votes as we did the first round (149).

I feel similar to Glengarry as I do to Goodfellas.  

For 92, I gave the ever so slight edge to RD over Unforgiven.   And even though JP was one of my favorite movie experiences, I still had to give my 93 vote to Schindler's List.  

I feel similar to Glengarry as I do to Goodfellas.  

For 92, I gave the ever so slight edge to RD over Unforgiven.   And even though JP was one of my favorite movie experiences, I still had to give my 93 vote to Schindler's List.  
JP vs SL is the ultimate example of spectacle vs substance. Also this means my reset of the polling worked and people can vote again. I wonder if keeping the 90s (and maybe more) self-contained in a thread is a good idea.

Wow, that 1992 list is killer.  Other than A Few Good Men, I could vote for any of them.  My first impulse was Unforgiven, but I’m going to think on it a bit.

1993 is Schindler’s List, though Remains Of The Day features one of my all-time favorite performances (Hopkins) and is one of the few instances where a movie is as good as the book on which it was based.

92 and 93 were the most spot on Oscar winners. Yes, there were some other very good films, but they actually got it right those years.  :thumbup:

I'm having a hard time deciding. 

In the Beatles thread, I would just fire up Spotify and listen. 

I'm new to movie polls/threads and need some advice. How do you alls re-watch movies? 

I understand the streaming thing, but most are subscription and don't have everything. Plus, figuring out who has what can be complicated. 

Sure, I've just Googled it, but that sucks too. Is there somewhere to rent without a subscription...that offers most all movies? 

I need my Blockbusters back. 

I'm new to movie polls/threads and need some advice. How do you alls re-watch movies? 

I understand the streaming thing, but most are subscription and don't have everything. Plus, figuring out who has what can be complicated. 

Sure, I've just Googled it, but that sucks too. Is there somewhere to rent without a subscription...that offers most all movies? 

My public library has a massive collection of DVDs and Blu-Rays

I think most of them you have to watch some commercials without a subscription. Or pay a rental fee.

Thanks! 

I also want to add that I'm not adverse to streaming. So, is there an online version? 

Maybe Amazon - not Prime? 
I am not sure if there is something free. Prime and Netflix both have a cost with a limited library. The old school Netflix where you send DVDs/Blu-Rays through the mail probably has the biggest selection. 

I am not sure if there is something free. Prime and Netflix both have a cost with a limited library. The old school Netflix where you send DVDs/Blu-Rays through the mail probably has the biggest selection. 
👍

Thnx. I used to have that version of Netflix. Mailing wait was a pain, but that may be my best option. Along with our library - that was a good idea - hadn't thought of it at all myself. 

I recorded a lot of great albums, in my youth, from the library. 

For figuring out who has what, I found justwatch.com/us to be pretty good.  You can search by release year and platform.  

Pretty sure I matched the consensus for 90/91

For this one, it's Reservoir Dogs and Schindler's List.

RD is one of those movies that gets better to me each time I see it.  Not many do that.

As for SL, the scene(s) of Oskar seeing the little girl in a red coat and later her body are combined probably one of the top 10 moments of all time for me in movies for the emotion it evoked.  Not that the rest of the movie didn't.  But that was so well done it felt way, way too real.

krista4 said:
Wow, that 1992 list is killer.  Other than A Few Good Men, I could vote for any of them.  My first impulse was Unforgiven, but I’m going to think on it a bit.

1993 is Schindler’s List, though Remains Of The Day features one of my all-time favorite performances (Hopkins) and is one of the few instances where a movie is as good as the book on which it was based.
Hey, I found my 1992 list from KP's polls!  Looks like I had three tiers of favorites:

Top tier (not in order):

1. The Player
  2. Unforgiven
  3. Glengarry Glen Ross
  4. Malcolm X
  5. The Best Intentions
Second tier:

1. One False Move
  2. Reservoir Dogs
  3. Passion Fish
  4. Into the West
  5. Strictly Ballroom
Third tier:

1. The Crying Game
  2. Howard’s End
  3. Wayne’s World
  4. Indochine
  5. Romper Stomper
  6. The Story of Qiu Ju
  7. Brother’s Keeper
  8. The Muppet Christmas Carol
  9. Bob Roberts
  10. El Mariachi
That third tier is...interesting.   :lol:   Don't get between me and my Muppets.

Since I can't vote for The Best Intentions (which probably would be my vote, actually), it's between the other four in that tier.  I loved The Player but feel like it might not have aged well.  Glengarry Glen Ross was great, but slightly better as a play.  Unforgiven or Malcolm X...very tough call.

That third tier is...interesting.   :lol:   Don't get between me and my Muppets.
Lol. 

Honestly K, as I read your list I told myself - gonna have to rip her for ranking the Muppets toooo low! 

Is this gonna be like Flying - in the Beatles thread? 🤔

...where you staunchly defend your relatively high (Binky low) ranking - before I have to step up and point out how insanely low (Binky high) you really are? 

Really? 

SMH

Lol. 

Honestly K, as I read your list I told myself - gonna have to rip her for ranking the Muppets toooo low! 

Is this gonna be like Flying - in the Beatles thread? 🤔

...where you staunchly defend your relatively high (Binky low) ranking - before I have to step up and point out how insanely low (Binky high) you really are? 

Really? 

SMH
Well, within the tiers they weren't ranked; they were just grouped together for purposes of point allocations.  I was only a mid-major ranker at the time; hadn't hit the big leagues.  So in a very strong year for movies, The Muppet Christmas Carol might have been as high as my #11 movie.   :)      

Hey, I found my 1992 list from KP's polls!  Looks like I had three tiers of favorites:

Top tier (not in order):

1. The Player
  2. Unforgiven
  3. Glengarry Glen Ross
  4. Malcolm X
  5. The Best Intentions
Second tier:

1. One False Move
  2. Reservoir Dogs
  3. Passion Fish
  4. Into the West
  5. Strictly Ballroom
Third tier:

1. The Crying Game
  2. Howard’s End
  3. Wayne’s World
  4. Indochine
  5. Romper Stomper
  6. The Story of Qiu Ju
  7. Brother’s Keeper
  8. The Muppet Christmas Carol
  9. Bob Roberts
  10. El Mariachi

Since I can't vote for The Best Intentions (which probably would be my vote, actually), it's between the other four in that tier.  I loved The Player but feel like it might not have aged well.  Glengarry Glen Ross was great, but slightly better as a play.  Unforgiven or Malcolm X...very tough call.
I gave 16 points to the Muppets Christmas Carol that year.  At least otb_lifer is not around to attack the Muppets, as he did back then. 

I think The Player holds up -- I love that tracking shot at the beginning, but I'm a sucker for a good tracking shot.

Well, within the tiers they weren't ranked; they were just grouped together for purposes of point allocations.  I was only a mid-major ranker at the time; hadn't hit the big leagues.  So in a very strong year for movies, The Muppet Christmas Carol might have been as high as my #11 movie.   :)      
Thank you for admitting that I am right... 

Argonaut say 😺 : he only kid - meow'meow... 

I gave 16 points to the Muppets Christmas Carol that year.  At least otb_lifer is not around to attack the Muppets, as he did back then. 

I think The Player holds up -- I love that tracking shot at the beginning, but I'm a sucker for a good tracking shot.
I'm a sucker for that, too.  I'll have to rewatch the movie.  It was my favorite from the year at the time.

I've occasionally thought that it's a bummer otb_lifer left, but now that you remind me about the Muppets, good riddance.   :lol:   

Users who are viewing this thread