What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"The Unbearable Male Privilege of Beto O’Rourke" - Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

From Daily Beast:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-unbearable-male-privilege-of-beto-orourke

What do you think?

My first sense is it seems unfair to be too critical of O'Rourke for something he can't do anything about. But I guess that's part of the privilege conversation too in the "what do we do about it?" part.

Thoughts?
The Daily Beast is a conservative? tabloid site. This type of story is right up their alley.

But the thing about trying to use "male privilege" as a weapon against O'Rourke is that he'd probably turn right around and agree with you and then talk for 2 hours about how everyone deserved to experience the same opportunities. It's a strength for him, not a liability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Can you elaborate? How common or prevalent do you think this writer's view is?
Other people here are obviously better plugged into progressive circles than I am.  I do get the sense that the progressive left has soured very quickly on Beto, and at least some of it (not all, of course) is identity-politics driven. 

The Daily Beast is a conservative tabloid site. This type of story is right up their alley.
Are you sure you're not thinking of The Daily Caller? Also, why would a story about "white male privilege" be right up the alley of a conservative site?

As for Beto, I think it's partly a function of the bloom being off the rose. In politics you always want to be the Hot New Thing, and that's what he was in 2018. Eventually, people start to notice the warts.

My own personal opinion is that it is true he hasn't shown a lot of substance yet, but that's what presidential campaigns are for. If he proves there's a there there, his rhetorical skills and inspirational message will take him far. And if not, it won't.

I also don't really buy the "only a white guy could get away with this", considering that Stacy Abrams and Andrew Gillum both lost high-profile races last year and are also being mooted as potential candidates.

To be fair to the author, it's pretty obviously true that people view male and female candidates differently and respond to them in different ways.  A male candidate can show his softer side, and doing so tends to humanize him as opposed to making him look weak.  (Within limits of course).  On the other hand, if a male candidate had a history of throwing binders at staff members, everybody would agree that that degree of workplace violence would be disqualifying. 

It almost makes me wonder whether a straight middle aged white male is at all wanted in the democratic party.   Just seems like I am the enemy at times.  

The Daily Beast is a conservative tabloid site. This type of story is right up their alley.

But the thing about trying to use "male privilege" as a weapon against O'Rourke is that he'd probably turn right around and agree with you and then talk for 2 hours about how everyone deserved to experience the same opportunities. It's a strength for him, not a liability.
The daily Beast is a VERY far left leaning site --but factual--according to mediabiasfactcheck.   

Can't disagree that male privilege is a real thing.  It is.  I don't really understand why they need to single out Beto to make that point though.  A good majority of what was said about him specifically pertains to all men including our last two Presidents.

If there is a backlash against Beta, (and that remains to be seen), I don’t think his whiteness or sex is the source of it. After all, both Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden are white and male and I doubt in either case you’ll hear anything close to a similar form of criticism. 

I think this may go a little deeper than that. Both political parties have their messiahs, for lack of a better term: the yearning for the candidate which they romantically associate with the “good old days”. For Republicans, at least until 2016, that guy has always been Ronald Reagan: they have sought someone who can be the “next Reagan”. For Democrats, it goes back even further: their glory figure was John F. Kennedy: young, charismatic, with golden dreams. Perhaps now its Barack Obama, who possessed Kennedyesque qualities. 

But this yearning is always accompanied with a cynical skepticism and resentment whenever anyone, particularly the news media, annoints a new guy with the title of “the next Reagan” or “the next Kennedy” or “the next Obama.” And that’s what I think is happening with O’Rourke. The media has been gushing over this guy for the last 2 years now as “the next Obama”, discussing the magic quality of his speeches, their uplifting nature, etc etc. And there is the suspicion among many thoughtful liberals that the emperor has no clothes. Hence the resentment and criticism. However, too soon to predict how much this may hurt him. 

It almost makes me wonder whether a straight middle aged white male is at all wanted in the democratic party.   Just seems like I am the enemy at times.  
I agree and I feel the same way.   That's the biggest reason the Democrats have been getting their asses kicked up and down the beltway for 20 years, they turned their back on  the white hetero working man.  I don't really have a home.   But I side more with the left I guess.  I don't really give a crap about two dudes getting married or stuff like that.  I am also pro-gun.  :shrug:

I agree and I feel the same way.   That's the biggest reason the Democrats have been getting their asses kicked up and down the beltway for 20 years, they turned their back on  the white hetero working man.  I don't really have a home.   But I side more with the left I guess.  I don't really give a crap about two dudes getting married or stuff like that.  I am also pro-gun.  :shrug:
How so?

I agree and I feel the same way.   That's the biggest reason the Democrats have been getting their asses kicked up and down the beltway for 20 years, they turned their back on  the white hetero working man.  I don't really have a home.  
I'm a white, hetero middle-aged man who has a home in the Democratic Party because I don't worry about my social status as a white, hetero middle-aged man.

Curiously awaiting the day when all these criticisms aimed at Robert are being spoken by the other Dems in the race and it can no longer be dismissed as Reps being scared of him. The question is - will the defenders I see here continue to post pics of the "Beto" sweater, go silent, or join the outcry against him? It's coming and it will be somewhat fascinating.

From Daily Beast:

What do you think?

My first sense is it seems unfair to be too critical of O'Rourke for something he can't do anything about. But I guess that's part of the privilege conversation too in the "what do we do about it?" part.

Thoughts?
My thought is America allows itself to get into silly hot button debates rather than looking at policy, experience and character when it comes to looking at candidates.

Curiously awaiting the day when all these criticisms aimed at Robert are being spoken by the other Dems in the race and it can no longer be dismissed as Reps being scared of him. The question is - will the defenders I see here continue to post pics of the "Beto" sweater, go silent, or join the outcry against him? It's coming and it will be somewhat fascinating.
I recommend you contemplate the poem "The Song of the Cow" by Psychedelic Warlord.  I think there are a lot of great answers there.

My thought is America allows itself to get into silly hot button debates rather than looking at policy, experience and character when it comes to looking at candidates.
As someone who has done nothing but pick at O'Rourke for superficial reasons, you make a great point that strikes home. I don't like being the person who dismisses someone for reasons other than their ability and fitness for office. That said, I don't see anything there policy or experience-wise either. Just like people here don't want to see pettiness as a driving force against a candidate, I don't want to see Dems "fall in love' with a hollow candidate simply because they put on a good show. In my mind, just about every other Dem in the race brings more to the table.

From Daily Beast:

What do you think?

Thoughts?
My honest thoughts?

Stories like this, and ‘Not one woman got that kind of coverage’: Beto backlash begins were written in advance of Beto announcing he was running - and were ready to publish immediately.

These sound like stories that are fed to the media by opposing candidates looking to get in a few digs.  Same thing with the Klobuchar "attacks" and the Bernie "attacks" when they each announced.

I guess we'll see the reaction to him being outed as a member of an ridiculously famous hacker collective as a teenager.  That may let us know how privileged he is.

https://www.reuters.com/article/usa-politics-beto-orourke/special-report-beto-orourkes-secret-membership-in-a-legendary-hacking-group-idUSL1N20H1A3
Oh no!

O’Rourke’s membership in the group – notorious for releasing tools that allowed ordinary people to hack computers running Microsoft’s Windows

Watching O`Rourke yesterday unbearable did come to mind...but it had nothing to do with being male or privileged.

Other people here are obviously better plugged into progressive circles than I am.  I do get the sense that the progressive left has soured very quickly on Beto, and at least some of it (not all, of course) is identity-politics driven. 
Don't think soured is the best word. If he had beaten Cruz, he'd be on the Obama track but, since he didn't, progressives would like him to grow a little hair down there. He can gain gravitas on the trail and in the debates and is precisely the kind of young white male Democrat they'd want if they went that way, but the Dems are gonna look to go "sure bet" Joe or shop for something darker with a good heel first

Far left doesn’t like that he doesn’t vote far left.  Establishment doesn’t like that he hasn’t paid his dues.

My personal view is that he benefits from being white, male, and charismatic.  Doesn't have much in terms of experience that I'm looking for, and I don't have a clear sense he's driven by certain policies although I could be convinced otherwise.

Instead, he seems to be someone who can speak well, who can energize folks, who can raise money well, and has the energy and passion folks can get behind.  He has some experience in government, but it does seem his stock is riding rather high right now compared to what he brings to the table.  If he were launching a campaign after a few years at the national level, it'd be another story.

I think some of the women involved could complain a bit that their backgrounds position them better for a presidential run than Beto, but are getting more negative press coverage instead.

Overall, I really don't like the "privilege" comments although I understand their origins/meanings.

If Kamala Harris had written an essay on the subject of daydreaming about running little kids down with her car to kill them and steal their happiness, I have a feeling it would be decent-sized news.

If Kamala Harris had written an essay on the subject of daydreaming about running little kids down with her car to kill them and steal their happiness, I have a feeling it would be decent-sized news.
She was able to joke about killing Trump, Pence or Sessions without much blowback.

From Daily Beast:

What do you think?

Thoughts?
Seems pretty heavy handed with the "Imagine if a woman" did this stuff cliches.

She says imagine if Gillibrand or Stacy Abrams did something the same way Beto did. Would they be derided for it? Seems like that is what she is doing in a widely read website. Have seen quite a bit of negative coverage of Beto, quite a few people in here are nonplussed with Beto's popularity, etc.

Regardless that is what you get when you run for office. Beto's job is to convince people to vote for him.

Don't believe Dems are going to have to worry as much about prior acts as previously. Senator Lecter would have a hard time losing the high ground  in '20 and the impact of news-shouting has peaked on both sides. Supporting & opposing the President has worn out most of America on that account.

But i was intimately involved with the process the last time there was a bum's rush for DemNom and one of the 20+ could do worse than find the moral core of the Democratic message, because that's what Carter came outta the blue to win on last time.

When's the last time anyone from the left said "we are the worker's party."  Somehow they totally let a silver spoon baboon represent working class America.  They've let labor weaken to the point it hasn't been since WW2.   When's the last time anyone talked about workplace safety?  They don't seem particularly concerned.  I'm a lot more concerned about breathing in asbestos in my work place than I am about transgender troops.  Sorry but it just impacts exponentially more people.  The Democrats are far too concerned about being everything for every class of people who feel put upon that they left their base behind.  I feel like they don't really speak to me much at all as a white employed hetero male.  

When's the last time anyone from the left said "we are the worker's party."  Somehow they totally let a silver spoon baboon represent working class America.  They've let labor weaken to the point it hasn't been since WW2.   When's the last time anyone talked about workplace safety?  They don't seem particularly concerned.  I'm a lot more concerned about breathing in asbestos in my work place than I am about transgender troops.  Sorry but it just impacts exponentially more people.  The Democrats are far too concerned about being everything for every class of people who feel put upon that they left their base behind.  I feel like they don't really speak to me much at all as a white employed hetero male.  
What does any of that have to do with being white and hetero?

Users who are viewing this thread