What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is having your own pool or hot tub worth it? (2 Viewers)

That seems impossibly low.  Just opportunity cost around here bottoms you out around 55k.  
Wow

Plumbers & Electricians brought the cost to maybe 35k but nowhere near 55k.

This is without pavers around the pool - that’s next. Having to wait 90 days before we do pavers is a little annoying. 

Anyone got a good robotic pool vacuum recommendation? Most telling me they all crap.

Trying to decide if we should go with either a weekly or every other week pool guy cleaner OR the robot vacuum? Do both?

Wow

Plumbers & Electricians brought the cost to maybe 35k but nowhere near 55k.

This is without pavers around the pool - that’s next. Having to wait 90 days before we do pavers is a little annoying. 

Anyone got a good robotic pool vacuum recommendation? Most telling me they all crap.

Trying to decide if we should go with either a weekly or every other week pool guy cleaner OR the robot vacuum? Do both?
I'm a little concerned you didn't plumb in your cleaner.  I mean that's how you do most in grounds.  And unless you live in the desert you'll need one.  I mean I'm starting to get the picture here.  An installed cleaner is at least 3500.  

I'm a little concerned you didn't plumb in your cleaner.  I mean that's how you do most in grounds.  And unless you live in the desert you'll need one.  I mean I'm starting to get the picture here.  An installed cleaner is at least 3500.  
This is all new to me so my pool lingo is not quite there yet.

We have a filter which cleans the pool with 2 bottom “feeders”. Did not give us the option to plumb in a cleaner.

Most here either get the weekly or every other week pool cleaner guy or an auto bot cleaner or a combo of both.

We have a filter which cleans the pool with 2 bottom “feeders”. Did not give us the option to plumb in a cleaner.

Most here either get the weekly or every other week pool cleaner guy or an auto bot cleaner or a combo of both.
Filter <> Cleaner.  

https://www.poolsupplyworld.com/polaris-360-Pressure-Side-Automatic-Pool-Cleaner/F1.htm?xzm2&ecmpid=aw_pla_search_F1&adtype=paid&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2v7mBRC1ARIsAAiw349egOcmsxRlwNSPb10zGAKWB_NfH3OmE5rZNDkjOuRJ3hgSGQTpSNUaAuHgEALw_wcB

That is a cleaner.  

Around here for weekly actual cleaning (amounts to 2 visits a week) is 220 a month even in the offseason with or without a polaris

I'm also surprised 4 drain lines isn't code in 2019 in wherever you are.  

This.  Put my pool in '09 during the heat of the recession.  We got a "great deal" for a 40x20 pool, grey bottom, heater, cave with waterfall, and lots of deck space for $62k.

Pools in the North are mucho expensive. 
Cave with a waterfall? Wtf. Hugh? 

Hope not too personal but how do you guys pay 50k-80k in pool. HELOC? 401k loan? Years of saving?
My house already had a pool but $50-$80k is about the amount of equity someone should have in a house if they bought in the past 5-10yrs.  Homeowners could easily get this done with a refi.  It might seem like a lot for a pool but if you consider it's as much as one of those fancy Jeep wranglers, I think it's a much better bargain.

I'm also surprised 4 drain lines isn't code in 2019 in wherever you are.  
You make it sound like I picked up some dudes at a Home Depot parking lot and we dug the pool ourselves.

That was certainly not the case - licensed plumbers & electricians and a pool guy that’s been in the business for over 20 years. Pool also passed inspection with the town. 

Hope not too personal but how do you guys pay 50k-80k in pool. HELOC? 401k loan? Years of saving?
No HELOC. Wife and I both work, make good money and we saved up for it.

Also didn’t go with the grotto/sex cave option. Don’t have the room.

With that said - time for a dip in the pool.

Last edited by a moderator:
You make it sound like I picked up some dudes at a Home Depot parking lot and we dug the pool ourselves.

That was certainly not the case - licensed plumbers & electricians and a pool guy that’s been in the business for over 20 years. Pool also passed inspection with the town. 
4 lines are code here.  Most just run four in case the code changes and they don't grandfather you (seems unlikely).  Mine has two and I don't lose sleep over it.

My spa has four returns.   The other workaround is one of those suction kill switch pumps.  

What height over the water and basin should I set a volleyball net?  Depth is 5-5 over the stretch I'm running it but it tapers back to like 4-5 

Pentair IntelliBrite 5G LED Color Pool Light 50'Cord - 12V 6010111$499.00

Pentair IntelliBrite Controller 6000541$185.00

Total:  $684.00

Hopefully I can figure out how to install this thing.  I pulled out the low voltage tester and confirmed my transformer is still good, but it's pretty old looking.  I'm tempted to upgrade that and increase capacity for landscape lighting.  

Just purchased the Polaris 9650iQ Sport Robotic pool cleaner - which is an independent cleaner - $1,500

Not plumbed in or integrated with the current pool system/filter.

My pool lingo getting better by the day.

Pentair IntelliBrite 5G LED Color Pool Light 50'Cord - 12V 6010111$499.00

Pentair IntelliBrite Controller 6000541$185.00

Total:  $684.00

Hopefully I can figure out how to install this thing.  I pulled out the low voltage tester and confirmed my transformer is still good, but it's pretty old looking.  I'm tempted to upgrade that and increase capacity for landscape lighting.  
What is your pool controlled by?  Could you save the 185 and plow it into a iaqualink?

Took my cover off this weekend and found some significantly cracked and broken tiles under the coping. So start-up is in a holding pattern now until someone can come out and repair (hopefully there's not a structural issue.) Family is bummed it probably won't be ready for Memorial Day BBQ.

Will be 10th season with it since getting it built, and this is the first potentially major issue. It was a good run... 

Took my cover off this weekend and found some significantly cracked and broken tiles under the coping. So start-up is in a holding pattern now until someone can come out and repair (hopefully there's not a structural issue.) Family is bummed it probably won't be ready for Memorial Day BBQ.

Will be 10th season with it since getting it built, and this is the first potentially major issue. It was a good run... 
Waterline tile? If so this is normal tile, nothing special about it.  Should be an easy fix.

Waterline tile? If so this is normal tile, nothing special about it.  Should be an easy fix.
Yeah. The decking has been creeping up above the coping and expansion joint level over the years, so there's some shifting going on, but hopefully that's not related. 

Finally got the replacement pool light installed.  Only 2 Lowe's trips and about 8hrs.  The directions and diagram were absolutely terrible, and there was very little help online.  Looking forward to the light show tonight!

Last edited by a moderator:
So...June/July was rough with rain delays, but they ramped it up in August and our new pool was swim-ready yesterday!  Still need to pressure wash and seal the deck, and awaiting new furniture to arrive, but all of that coming together next week.

My 2 year old son LOVES it!  The big sun shelf we built was genius.  And i love the overall size, shape, feel, and how it fits with the house and patio.  

Bought a new 49-inch TV for the patio, installed today.  Friends coming over.  Cooking out.  Settling in for the Bama opener.  Which I can see from multiple pool locations on my butt or float.  This is why we built a pool.  Loving it.

Put in a hot tub for mothers day this year(Mrs Wrigley  still has lots of aches and pains from the c)

My girls all love it

I personally can't wait to use it this winter.

I've been scrubbing my screen pool enclosure for 3 days now.

Yesterday my wife came out and said, "you know Dorian is probably gonna wipe it out anyway."

Anyone use a solar cover? Haven't installed a heater yet so just put the solar cover on yesterday.  Leaves are a huge issue on the cover already. 

Users who are viewing this thread