Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
flapgreen

Is having your own pool or hot tub worth it?

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, flapgreen said:

Even more glad now we found a house already with a pool. 

This.  Put my pool in '09 during the heat of the recession.  We got a "great deal" for a 40x20 pool, grey bottom, heater, cave with waterfall, and lots of deck space for $62k.

Pools in the North are mucho expensive. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, culdeus said:

I mean a 400k heater installed is 3 grand on it's own. I know because mine just #### the bed.  

I got a thermeau heat pump.  I'm not sure if you are looking at heat pumps or heaters, but I recco it.  So far so good.  I did the install, wasn't too bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, culdeus said:

That seems impossibly low.  Just opportunity cost around here bottoms you out around 55k.  

Wow

Plumbers & Electricians brought the cost to maybe 35k but nowhere near 55k.

This is without pavers around the pool - that’s next. Having to wait 90 days before we do pavers is a little annoying. 

Anyone got a good robotic pool vacuum recommendation? Most telling me they all crap.

Trying to decide if we should go with either a weekly or every other week pool guy cleaner OR the robot vacuum? Do both?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also trying to decide which privacy hedges/bushed to go with.

Arborvitaes are too fickle

Leyland's just get too big.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, =Smackdown= said:

Wow

Plumbers & Electricians brought the cost to maybe 35k but nowhere near 55k.

This is without pavers around the pool - that’s next. Having to wait 90 days before we do pavers is a little annoying. 

Anyone got a good robotic pool vacuum recommendation? Most telling me they all crap.

Trying to decide if we should go with either a weekly or every other week pool guy cleaner OR the robot vacuum? Do both?

I'm a little concerned you didn't plumb in your cleaner.  I mean that's how you do most in grounds.  And unless you live in the desert you'll need one.  I mean I'm starting to get the picture here.  An installed cleaner is at least 3500.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, =Smackdown= said:

Also trying to decide which privacy hedges/bushed to go with.

Arborvitaes are too fickle

Leyland's just get too big.

 

 

Silver myrtles are trendy here.  Don't make as much mess as their cousins to the south.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, culdeus said:

I'm a little concerned you didn't plumb in your cleaner.  I mean that's how you do most in grounds.  And unless you live in the desert you'll need one.  I mean I'm starting to get the picture here.  An installed cleaner is at least 3500.  

This is all new to me so my pool lingo is not quite there yet.

We have a filter which cleans the pool with 2 bottom “feeders”. Did not give us the option to plumb in a cleaner.

Most here either get the weekly or every other week pool cleaner guy or an auto bot cleaner or a combo of both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, =Smackdown= said:

This is all new to me so my pool lingo is not quite there yet.

We have a filter which cleans the pool with 2 bottom “feeders”. Did not give us the option to plumb in a cleaner.

Most here either get the weekly or every other week pool cleaner guy or an auto bot cleaner or a combo of both.

Filter <> Cleaner.  

https://www.poolsupplyworld.com/polaris-360-Pressure-Side-Automatic-Pool-Cleaner/F1.htm?xzm2&ecmpid=aw_pla_search_F1&adtype=paid&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2v7mBRC1ARIsAAiw349egOcmsxRlwNSPb10zGAKWB_NfH3OmE5rZNDkjOuRJ3hgSGQTpSNUaAuHgEALw_wcB

That is a cleaner.  

Around here for weekly actual cleaning (amounts to 2 visits a week) is 220 a month even in the offseason with or without a polaris

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, =Smackdown= said:

This is all new to me so my pool lingo is not quite there yet.

We have a filter which cleans the pool with 2 bottom “feeders”. Did not give us the option to plumb in a cleaner.

Most here either get the weekly or every other week pool cleaner guy or an auto bot cleaner or a combo of both.

I'm also surprised 4 drain lines isn't code in 2019 in wherever you are.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, James Daulton said:

This.  Put my pool in '09 during the heat of the recession.  We got a "great deal" for a 40x20 pool, grey bottom, heater, cave with waterfall, and lots of deck space for $62k.

Pools in the North are mucho expensive. 

Cave with a waterfall? Wtf. Hugh? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope not too personal but how do you guys pay 50k-80k in pool. HELOC? 401k loan? Years of saving?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

Hope not too personal but how do you guys pay 50k-80k in pool. HELOC? 401k loan? Years of saving?

Some people make a lot of money at their jobs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shadyridr said:

Hope not too personal but how do you guys pay 50k-80k in pool. HELOC? 401k loan? Years of saving?

The guy that built mine had a heloc. :shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, shadyridr said:

Hope not too personal but how do you guys pay 50k-80k in pool. HELOC? 401k loan? Years of saving?

My house already had a pool but $50-$80k is about the amount of equity someone should have in a house if they bought in the past 5-10yrs.  Homeowners could easily get this done with a refi.  It might seem like a lot for a pool but if you consider it's as much as one of those fancy Jeep wranglers, I think it's a much better bargain.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Binky The Doormat said:

it's called a grotto flap.  

:rolleyes: come on bro.  

may have to ask Ike to tune you up. 

Yea grotto.  You can't stand in it but it has a bench thing a couple of people can swim into and sit behind the waterfall.  It's pretty cool and you can  jump off the grotto into the deep end of the pool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, culdeus said:

I'm also surprised 4 drain lines isn't code in 2019 in wherever you are.  

You make it sound like I picked up some dudes at a Home Depot parking lot and we dug the pool ourselves.

That was certainly not the case - licensed plumbers & electricians and a pool guy that’s been in the business for over 20 years. Pool also passed inspection with the town. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, shadyridr said:

Hope not too personal but how do you guys pay 50k-80k in pool. HELOC? 401k loan? Years of saving?

No HELOC. Wife and I both work, make good money and we saved up for it.

Also didn’t go with the grotto/sex cave option. Don’t have the room.

With that said - time for a dip in the pool.

Edited by =Smackdown=
Addition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, =Smackdown= said:

You make it sound like I picked up some dudes at a Home Depot parking lot and we dug the pool ourselves.

That was certainly not the case - licensed plumbers & electricians and a pool guy that’s been in the business for over 20 years. Pool also passed inspection with the town. 

4 lines are code here.  Most just run four in case the code changes and they don't grandfather you (seems unlikely).  Mine has two and I don't lose sleep over it.

My spa has four returns.   The other workaround is one of those suction kill switch pumps.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What height over the water and basin should I set a volleyball net?  Depth is 5-5 over the stretch I'm running it but it tapers back to like 4-5 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pentair IntelliBrite 5G LED Color Pool Light 50'Cord - 12V 6010111$499.00

Pentair IntelliBrite Controller 6000541$185.00

Total:  $684.00

 

Hopefully I can figure out how to install this thing.  I pulled out the low voltage tester and confirmed my transformer is still good, but it's pretty old looking.  I'm tempted to upgrade that and increase capacity for landscape lighting.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2019 at 11:11 AM, culdeus said:

I'm a little concerned you didn't plumb in your cleaner.  I mean that's how you do most in grounds.  And unless you live in the desert you'll need one.  I mean I'm starting to get the picture here.  An installed cleaner is at least 3500.  

Just purchased the Polaris 9650iQ Sport Robotic pool cleaner - which is an independent cleaner - $1,500

Not plumbed in or integrated with the current pool system/filter.

My pool lingo getting better by the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard morning and afternoon of yard work followed by a nice dip in the heated pool.  Yea it’s worth it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Punxsutawney Phil said:

Pentair IntelliBrite 5G LED Color Pool Light 50'Cord - 12V 6010111$499.00

Pentair IntelliBrite Controller 6000541$185.00

Total:  $684.00

 

Hopefully I can figure out how to install this thing.  I pulled out the low voltage tester and confirmed my transformer is still good, but it's pretty old looking.  I'm tempted to upgrade that and increase capacity for landscape lighting.  

What is your pool controlled by?  Could you save the 185 and plow it into a iaqualink?

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1st day of swim season in upstate NY, my kids are going on 5 hours in the water.....pools are awesome

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finding out that lowest part of net damn near needs to be at waterline.  

Wasn't expecting that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took my cover off this weekend and found some significantly cracked and broken tiles under the coping. So start-up is in a holding pattern now until someone can come out and repair (hopefully there's not a structural issue.) Family is bummed it probably won't be ready for Memorial Day BBQ.

Will be 10th season with it since getting it built, and this is the first potentially major issue. It was a good run... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my pools 10th season.  Costs are piling up fast.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Noid said:

Took my cover off this weekend and found some significantly cracked and broken tiles under the coping. So start-up is in a holding pattern now until someone can come out and repair (hopefully there's not a structural issue.) Family is bummed it probably won't be ready for Memorial Day BBQ.

Will be 10th season with it since getting it built, and this is the first potentially major issue. It was a good run... 

Waterline tile? If so this is normal tile, nothing special about it.  Should be an easy fix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, lumpy19 said:

Waterline tile? If so this is normal tile, nothing special about it.  Should be an easy fix.

Yeah. The decking has been creeping up above the coping and expansion joint level over the years, so there's some shifting going on, but hopefully that's not related. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got the replacement pool light installed.  Only 2 Lowe's trips and about 8hrs.  The directions and diagram were absolutely terrible, and there was very little help online.  Looking forward to the light show tonight!

Edited by Punxsutawney Phil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So...June/July was rough with rain delays, but they ramped it up in August and our new pool was swim-ready yesterday!  Still need to pressure wash and seal the deck, and awaiting new furniture to arrive, but all of that coming together next week.

My 2 year old son LOVES it!  The big sun shelf we built was genius.  And i love the overall size, shape, feel, and how it fits with the house and patio.  

Bought a new 49-inch TV for the patio, installed today.  Friends coming over.  Cooking out.  Settling in for the Bama opener.  Which I can see from multiple pool locations on my butt or float.  This is why we built a pool.  Loving it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, gump said:

 

Bought a new 49-inch TV for the patio, installed today.  

Enquiring minds want to know... did you install an indoor tv outdoors?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loving the pool and hot tub all summer long. Best summer ever! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put in a hot tub for mothers day this year(Mrs Wrigley  still has lots of aches and pains from the c)

My girls all love it

 

I personally can't wait to use it this winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been scrubbing my screen pool enclosure for 3 days now.

Yesterday my wife came out and said, "you know Dorian is probably gonna wipe it out anyway."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, johnnycakes said:

Enquiring minds want to know... did you install an indoor tv outdoors?  

Yes...went the $275 route vs Otis route.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone use a solar cover? Haven't installed a heater yet so just put the solar cover on yesterday.  Leaves are a huge issue on the cover already. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.