What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Kylie Jenner brilliant or simply “right place at the right time”? (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
I was discussing this topic with my family this weekend. Like the rest of the Kardashian clan, Kylie Jenner appears to have no discernible talent: she’s a pretty young woman who wears makeup well and has had the good fortune of being on television since she was a little girl. 

Yet Kylie is now a billionaire, the youngest ever (beating out Mark Zuckerberg for the record.) her company, Kylie Cosmetics, appears to have revolutionized the cosmetics industry and retail in general. She is worth ten times as much as any other member of her clan. She has millions of followers who cling to her every word. 

So- is this all just an amazing stroke of luck? Or is Kylie Jenner a marketing genius? 

Last edited by a moderator:
One correction- she does not have more twitter followers than Trump- I got her confused with Kim Kardashian, who does (they are #12 and #13 respectfully- #1 is Katy Perry, #2 is Barack Obama.) 

Katy Perry?? 

She’s no genius but she is probably hard working and was smart about how to harness her fame, fortune and beauty. 

I was discussing this topic with my family this weekend. Like the rest of the Kardashian clan, Kylie Jenner appears to have no discernible talent: she’s a pretty young woman who wears makeup well and has had the good fortune of being on television since she was a little girl. 

Yet Kylie is now a billionaire, the youngest ever (beating out Mark Zuckerberg for the record.) her company, Kylie Cosmetics, appears to have revolutionized the cosmetics industry and retail in general. 
How so?

One correction- she does not have more twitter followers than Trump- I got her confused with Kim Kardashian, who does (they are #12 and #13 respectfully- #1 is Katy Perry, #2 is Barack Obama.) 

Katy Perry?? 
Kylie gets the most views on Snapchat. I think Katy Perry was just using Twitter well in it’s infancy and thus accumulated a crazy amount of followers.

She is neither a genius or lucky.

She's simply evidence of how stupid society is as a whole.
Meh same as it’s always been. There’s other things that are much bigger evidence of societal stupidity than young women and girls preferring a certain make-up brand over another. 

I never claimed she was the biggest evidence. 
I just don’t see it. What’s the difference between her and any other make-up company? If her last name wasn’t Jenner or Kardashian nobody would bat an eye about a wealthy person opening their own company and being successful.

Two useless ####s. 
Well I don’t know about that. 

But what they do have in common is that their wealth in both cases is directly related to social media- the difference being that Zuckerberg actually helped create social media in the first place. 

I just don’t see it. What’s the difference between her and any other make-up company? If her last name wasn’t Jenner or Kardashian nobody would bat an eye about a wealthy person opening their own company and being successful.
If they became the youngest billion ever, then they would get the same reaction.

She achieved something at an age no one else ever did. That's going to get people to notice and react. 

The death of meritocracy. Just...is.  
Famous people have always earned more in a capitalist society, and meritocracy has never really existed for celebrities. (You could make an argument that it’s never really existed period.) 

Elvis Presley had a ton of hit records in the late 1950s. Jonas Salk cured polio in the late 1950s. Elvis earned about 1000 times more money. Was that based on merit? 

Famous people have always earned more in a capitalist society, and meritocracy has never really existed for celebrities. (You could make an argument that it’s never really existed period.) 

Elvis Presley had a ton of hit records in the late 1950s. Jonas Salk cured polio in the late 1950s. Elvis earned about 1000 times more money. Was that based on merit? 
Justice Breyer wants a word with you...

Jenner has rode the Kardashian wave of social media success so good for her. Also Bruce Jenner helped pave the way getting involved in the social game.

As with most huge success stories though the right place at right times does help.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) She's being billed as the youngest self-made billionaire ever, not youngest billionaire.

2) I think they're stretching the term "self-made" quite a bit

3) She's not the genius, but her mom is. Kris is behind ALL of the Kardashian/Jenner success. She took every opportunity to use her husband's connections to talk with them about what they attributed their success to, how they maintained their money, etc. She spent years gleaning knowledge from some of the most successful people in all sorts of walks. And she's put all that knowledge to work. She's the ideas person, she's the manager, she's everything.

1) She's being billed as the youngest self-made billionaire ever, not youngest billionaire.

2) I think they're stretching the term "self-made" quite a bit

3) She's not the genius, but her mom is. Kris is behind ALL of the Kardashian/Jenner success. She took every opportunity to use her husband's connections to talk with them about what they attributed their success to, how they maintained their money, etc. She spent years gleaning knowledge from some of the most successful people in all sorts of walks. And she's put all that knowledge to work. She's the ideas person, she's the manager, she's everything.
Also put her own $250k from modeling to pay for the first product launch. Now ofcourse that’ risk was mitigated by knowing her family was wealthy and she had support to fall back on. Still for a teen, that was a bold move.

Is that a problem? She’s curating products people want, she’s marketing it, etc. Macy’s doesn’t make the clothes they sell. Whole Foods doesn’t grow the food they sell. 
She didn't curate anything. All she does is market her brand. Seed Beauty does all the development, manufacturing and distribution. 

Macy's and Whole Foods provide retail distribution. Society needs that. 

She didn't curate anything. All she does is market her brand. Seed Beauty does all the development, manufacturing and distribution. 

Macy's and Whole Foods provide retail distribution. Society needs that. 
So she has no say in the products her company has made by Seed or how it’s marketed? My impression was she out down an investment in a new product line that she liked and from there develops products with her partner Seed who have the RnD/production background. If that’s all a like and she’s just a spokesperson than it is less impressive.

So she has no say in the products her company has made by Seed or how it’s marketed? My impression was she out down an investment in a new product line that she liked and from there develops products with her partner Seed who have the RnD/production background. If that’s all a like and she’s just a spokesperson than it is less impressive.
Seed Beauty is a private label cosmetics manufacturer. "Private label" is a service that allows anyone to order their existing line of products and put their brand on the label before they ship it out. She didn't develop anything. She just made an order, had them put her brand on it, and started marketing and selling it. 

Seed Beauty is a private label cosmetics manufacturer. "Private label" is a service that allows anyone to order their existing line of products and put their brand on the label before they ship it out. She didn't develop anything. She just made an order, had them put her brand on it, and started marketing and selling it. 
Seed says Kylie is super involved in the development process and they don’t just sell Kyle a pre-made product. She and the other people ordering through them give their vision and Seed uses their expertise to develop the concept the person ordering wants. I know someone who has had a similar set-up but in the world of paint and painting products and it’s more complex than just ordering a pre-existing product and slapping your marketing on it. Maybe this isn’t as similar as I though.

anyway, that’s the extent of my “knowledge” and opinion here so I’ll bow out.

I don’t know.  Can you think of any other reality TV stars who slapped their names on existing products and ended up as billionaires? How does the public feel about them?

Seed says Kylie is super involved in the development process and they don’t just sell Kyle a pre-made product. She and the other people ordering through them give their vision and Seed uses their expertise to develop the concept the person ordering wants. I know someone who has had a similar set-up but in the world of paint and painting products and it’s more complex than just ordering a pre-existing product and slapping your marketing on it. Maybe this isn’t as similar as I though.

:hophead:

I don’t know.  Can you think of any other reality TV stars who slapped their names on existing products and ended up as billionaires? How does the public feel about them?
Not really. She’s also the worlds highest paid model. Do people have issue with other models who “slapped their names” on products and made a ton of money?

Maximum pay for minimal work sounds like a great gig to me. What seems to be the problem?

Kylie might be a bright young person but she doesn’t build a billion dollar cosmetics business at her age if she’s born into an average family.

I don’t have a problem with that but it is a fact.

Kylie might be a bright young person but she doesn’t build a billion dollar cosmetics business at her age if she’s born into an average family.

I don’t have a problem with that but it is a fact.
Some models have launched their own lines of stuff and done well.  She is a nice piece of ### and was making a #### ton modeling already.  

If she wasn't hot and couldn't model her looks, dunno.

Ratowski is trying to do same thing now.  

Users who are viewing this thread