What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Maine GOP rep: access to menstrual products would make jails like country clubs (1 Viewer)

LD628 actually covers FREE, unrestricted access to these products...They're not trying to deny...just not supply.

But I do agree it' s wierd...how much could this possibly be costing the prison system?

I know that I sure wouldn't want to work there if they were rollin' their own.

Last edited by a moderator:
LD628 actually covers FREE, unrestricted access to these products...They're not trying to deny...just not supply.

But I do agree it' s wierd...how much could this possibly be costing the prison system?
Yes. It covers free products. Because it’s very hard to earn much money when you’re in jail. 

“Your honor, we provide drinking water.  It only costs $8 per bottle! And these inmates earn almost twelve cents per hour!”

Yes. It covers free products. Because it’s very hard to earn much money when you’re in jail. 
...but not impossible....and money can be put on their commissary by family members.

Like I said...I agree that it shouldn't be a problem to supply that stuff and I do think that it is pretty "necessary".  After all...they do supply toilet paper...don't they?

...or do they use the two sea shells?

...but not impossible....and money can be put on their commissary by family members.

Like I said...I agree that it shouldn't be a problem to supply that stuff.  After all...they do supply toilet paper...don't they?
Yes.  And that’s the point. 

This is actually an issue all over the country.  They’ve only been provided on an unlimited basis in Federal prison for a couple of years. 

To add insult, if a female prisoner in Maine wanted to buy a feminine hygiene product, she'd have to pay a 5.5% sales tax. Maine is one of about 35 states that still have a tampon tax. We need more female legislators and governors. 

And even though they make prisons absolute hell holes whenever possible the US still has a high rate of recidivism

It's almost as if treating people like animals and doing as little as humanly possible to help them find a better way isn't a very productive strategy.

And Jesus said "what you do for the least of you, you do for me."

Christian nation my butt.

To add insult, if a female prisoner in Maine wanted to buy a feminine hygiene product, she'd have to pay a 5.5% sales tax. Maine is one of about 35 states that still have a tampon tax. We need more female legislators and governors. 
While I see feminine products as being akin to TP and should be provided in prisons, I'm not sure why we're squawking over taxing of these items, in general.  We tax everything else - TP, aspirin, baby formula, food, etc.  Not sure why these are special.

While I see feminine products as being akin to TP and should be provided in prisons, I'm not sure why we're squawking over taxing of these items, in general.  We tax everything else - TP, aspirin, baby formula, food, etc.  Not sure why these are special.
Because they disproportionately hit the poor for one. And for two most of them are survival items.

People need to eat to live. And no people don't die without toilet paper or maxi pads but they need them to function in society.

Would it kill ya to not taked the ##### position on something? Yes in a narrow sense you are pedantically correct. But you really got die on THIS hill? 

Come on man. We are talking about basic human hygeine and dignity here. 
Hey, I agree that they should be provided in prisons.  And, no, I'm not dying on that hill.  Just pointing out absurdities when I see them.

People die without these?  That's a new one.
It's rare, but women can die from toxic shock syndrome resulting from a tampon being left in too long. It stands to reason that, without access to a healthy supply of menstrual products, female prisoners may decide to use products for longer than necessary, rather than use none at all.

Because the reason they're taxed is that they are categorized as "luxury" items.  There isn't really a corollary men's product, but these are a necessity.  Failure to se hygiene products (or worse, to reuse hygiene products) can lead to death.  It costs money for women to stay alive.  Taxing that is silly.

You can wipe your butt with a corn cob, scrub your skin with pumice, but you start making your own tampons someone's going to end up with toxic shock syndrome.

Also, baby formula is food, so if your state exempts food taken home from taxes, it's almost certainly tax exempt as well.

It's rare, but women can die from toxic shock syndrome resulting from a tampon being left in too long. It stands to reason that, without access to a healthy supply of menstrual products, female prisoners may decide to use products for longer than necessary, rather than use none at all.
Also, failure to have access to feminine hygiene at all can lead to massive bacterial infections, which eventually kill.

Because the reason they're taxed is that they are categorized as "luxury" items.  There isn't really a corollary men's product, but these are a necessity.  Failure to se hygiene products (or worse, to reuse hygiene products) can lead to death.  It costs money for women to stay alive.  Taxing that is silly.

You can wipe your butt with a corn cob, scrub your skin with pumice, but you start making your own tampons someone's going to end up with toxic shock syndrome.

Also, baby formula is food, so if your state exempts food taken home from taxes, it's almost certainly tax exempt as well.
My state does not exempt food from sales taxes.  And, at least here, they aren't taxed as luxury items - I don't think we have that classification at all, anyway.  They see the same tax as every other salable item in the grocery store does.

Some states must have very odd rules for these to be a "luxury".

My state does not exempt food from sales taxes.  And, at least here, they aren't taxed as luxury items - I don't think we have that classification at all, anyway.  They see the same tax as every other salable item in the grocery store does.

Some states must have very odd rules for these to be a "luxury".
I forgot you're in Alabama.  Alabama's food tax persistence is a national curiosity.

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/news/politics/southunionstreet/2017/03/23/strange-persistence-alabamas-grocery-tax/99511764/

There is a ton of tax money that flows from those sales - certainly that's the reason.  If we cut taxes out on those I'd have no issue with also cutting them on TP and Tampax.
And I think that's the issue.  Heck, you can wash your ### off in the shower, TP is even less of an issue, but women need hygiene products.  

Edit: as an attorney, I am NOT advocating that you simply wash your ### off in the shower.  

Users who are viewing this thread