Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Eephus

***Official 2019 MLB Regular Season Thread: Say it ain't so Octavio

Recommended Posts

baseball reference has been doing a countdown of the top 8 mid-season trade acquisitions since 1986, as measured by post-trade WAR.

number 3 will shock you!

8. Rich Harden, SP, 2008, acquired by CHC

7. Fred McGriff, 1B, 1993, acquired by ATL

6. Roy Oswalt, SP, 2010, acquired by PHI

5. Manny Ramirez, LF, 2008, acquired by LAD

4. Mark Teixeira, 1B, 2008, acquired by LAA

3. Daniel Hudson, SP, 2010, acquired by ARI

2. Randy Johnson, SP, 1998, acquired by HOU

1. CC Sabathia, SP, 2008




 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

baseball reference has been doing a countdown of the top 8 mid-season trade acquisitions since 1986, as measured by post-trade WAR.

number 3 will shock you!

 

  Hide contents

8. Rich Harden, SP, 2008, acquired by CHC

 




 

Cubs acquired him for a Class A twenty-year old light hitting catcher named Josh Donaldson. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd settle for Daniel Hudson for a low level prospect right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bauer to Cincy? As part of three team trade with SD. Bizarre. He'll be happy the fences are shorter in cincy. Easier to reach from the mound. 

Puig to Cleveland in the deal 

Edited by shadyridr
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bauer to Cincy

Puig and Franmil Reyes and Logan Allen to CLE

Taylor Trammell to SD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

Bauer to Cincy

Puig and Franmil Reyes and Logan Allen to CLE

Taylor Trammell to SD

Cleveland also gets AA LHP Scott Moss and 19 year old 3B/OF Victor Nova.  They both sound like OOTP randos.

I like the deal from Cleveland's perspective.

Seems like a high price to pay for 1 1/2 years of Bauer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Puig so undesirable now that he's a throw in for a mid level pitcher?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Insein said:

Is Puig so undesirable now that he's a throw in for a mid level pitcher?

He's a 2020 free agent

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Padres must love them some Taylor Trammell. He has upside to be a 5-tool star but he needs to reach it for this to be a good deal for San Diego, and right now he’s struggling in AA.

40-man roster concerns were probably a factor though. The Padres could get hit hard in a Rule 5 draft at some point and Trammell is still exempt from that this offseason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Spartans Rule said:

The Padres must love them some Taylor Trammell. He has upside to be a 5-tool star but he needs to reach it for this to be a good deal for San Diego, and right now he’s struggling in AA.

40-man roster concerns were probably a factor though. The Padres could get hit hard in a Rule 5 draft at some point and Trammell is still exempt from that this offseason.

I'm going to wait until after the deadline to declare how much San Diego loves Trammell.  It's not impossible that he could get flipped tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2019 at 12:55 AM, Wrigley said:

Hearing from a reliable source, that Tim Anderson’s injury is much worse than they are leading on 

 

Torn Achilles is two places, out for year at the least 

Prior to Tuesday’s series opener against the Mets, shortstop Tim Anderson returned from his rehab assignment at Triple-A Charlotte and was reinstated from the 10-day injured list. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Eephus said:

I'm going to wait until after the deadline to declare how much San Diego loves Trammell.  It's not impossible that he could get flipped tomorrow.

7 hours before the deadline and the motivation of the Reds and Padres has me more than a little confused. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

7 hours before the deadline and the motivation of the Reds and Padres has me more than a little confused. 

Only thing I can think of is Mets really want a CF and SD just traded for one to flip to the Mets for Thor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Insein said:

Is Puig so undesirable now that he's a throw in for a mid level pitcher?

I think this was quite the haul for Bauer and I wouldnt call him a mid level pitcher. He might not be an Ace either but hes in the next tier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bluesbomber said:

Prior to Tuesday’s series opener against the Mets, shortstop Tim Anderson returned from his rehab assignment at Triple-A Charlotte and was reinstated from the 10-day injured list. 

My source, a coach on the team, has been fired from my insider information staff

 

 

Edited by Wrigley
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For someone chasing saves in fantasy, today has been exhausting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Eephus said:

I'm going to wait until after the deadline to declare how much San Diego loves Trammell.  It's not impossible that he could get flipped tomorrow.

Update, please

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, HellToupee said:
21 hours ago, Eephus said:

I'm going to wait until after the deadline to declare how much San Diego loves Trammell.  It's not impossible that he could get flipped tomorrow.

Update, please

They're talking about playing Trammell in CF.  That make sense to see if his defense will play there. 

His AVG in AA hasn't been very good this year but it's a small sample and his BB/SO numbers have held up.  He hasn't benefited from the MiLB power surge this year.  Scouts still talk about his tools but he turns 22 in six weeks and needs to translate those into production in the next year or so. 

I think Preller did well to grab a high ceiling prospect without giving up the farm.  Trammell still comes with a fair amount of risk though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2019 at 1:11 PM, shadyridr said:

Ugh god no way. Stroman sucks. Id much rather keep Frazier

 

23 hours ago, shadyridr said:

I think this was quite the haul for Bauer and I wouldnt call him a mid level pitcher. He might not be an Ace either but hes in the next tier.

Career ERA/FIP/xFIP

Stroman 3.76/3.61/3.57

Bauer 3.92/3.87/3.98

2019 ERA/FIP/xFIP

Stroman 2.96/3.52/4.08

Bauer 3.79/4.16/4.28

Both 28, both current season and career actual results and predictive metrics say Stroman has been better by any measure.  

Bauer has a nice spin rate and throws heavy balls and makes 420/69 jokes and plays with drones, so I guess there's that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

 

Career ERA/FIP/xFIP

Stroman 3.76/3.61/3.57

Bauer 3.92/3.87/3.98

2019 ERA/FIP/xFIP

Stroman 2.96/3.52/4.08

Bauer 3.79/4.16/4.28

Both 28, both current season and career actual results and predictive metrics say Stroman has been better by any measure.  

Bauer has a nice spin rate and throws heavy balls and makes 420/69 jokes and plays with drones, so I guess there's that.

Kind of a weird bump after seeing the crap the Jays got for Stroman.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2019 at 9:59 PM, Eephus said:

They're talking about playing Trammell in CF.  That make sense to see if his defense will play there. 

His AVG in AA hasn't been very good this year but it's a small sample and his BB/SO numbers have held up.  He hasn't benefited from the MiLB power surge this year.  Scouts still talk about his tools but he turns 22 in six weeks and needs to translate those into production in the next year or so. 

I think Preller did well to grab a high ceiling prospect without giving up the farm.  Trammell still comes with a fair amount of risk though.

I think the ball is normal in AA and very juicy in AAA. Didn’t realize he was turning 22

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rodg12 said:

MLB just announced the Yankees and White Sox will be playing at a new temporary field at the Field of Dreams movie site next August!!!!

https://www.mlb.com/news/yankees-white-sox-game-at-field-of-dream-site

OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!!!!!

Imagine how excited you'll be when Iowa gets indoor plumbing.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Fat Drunk and Stupid said:

Imagine how excited you'll be when Iowa gets indoor plumbing.

If MLB blackout rules are reciprocal, the game will be blacked out in Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Chicago, Kansas City and St. Louis.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fat Drunk and Stupid said:

Imagine how excited you'll be when Iowa gets indoor plumbing.

Don't need no such niceties with a corn field out back... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chapman vs Guerrero Jr 13 pitch at-bat from yesterday was one of the coolest moments of the season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

Chapman vs Guerrero Jr 13 pitch at-bat from yesterday was one of the coolest moments of the season.

sure was.  The foul ball off the facing of the 5th deck got everyone's attention.  Too bad in ended in dbl-play but was fun while it lasted. 

Bichette calmly follows it with a solid base rap to left. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a big baseball guy so answer me this.  How is it you get a save when you come into a game with a 17-4 lead?  The Nets' Guerra came in in the 7th, gave up 3 runs in 3 innings, and got the save.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rodrigo Duterte said:

Not a big baseball guy so answer me this.  How is it you get a save when you come into a game with a 17-4 lead?  The Nets' Guerra came in in the 7th, gave up 3 runs in 3 innings, and got the save.

He pitched the final 3 innings of the game, qualifying for a save.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rodrigo Duterte said:

Not a big baseball guy so answer me this.  How is it you get a save when you come into a game with a 17-4 lead?  The Nets' Guerra came in in the 7th, gave up 3 runs in 3 innings, and got the save.

A relief pitcher is awarded a save when he meets all three of the following conditions:

He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his club; and

He is not the winning pitcher; and

He qualifies under one of the following conditions:

He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning; or

He enters the game, regardless of the score, with the potential tying run either on base, at bat, or on deck; or

He pitches for at least three innings.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of all the games that could be shown on ESPN+ today, we get...

49-72 Seattle (Matt Wisler) @ 36-81 Detroit (Spencer Turnbull)

:shrug:

  • Laughing 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/yankees-manager-aaron-boone-says-there-would-be-a-benefit-to-a-mercy-rule-after-getting-blown-out-by-indians/

It's rare that I agree with a Yankee, but I like this idea. Instead of making both teams and fans endure the last couple innings of  a total blowout,  give the lead team a target to shoot for and another way to get a walkoff while also cutting down on scraptime injuries.

Edited by Leroy Hoard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leroy Hoard said:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/yankees-manager-aaron-boone-says-there-would-be-a-benefit-to-a-mercy-rule-after-getting-blown-out-by-indians/

It's rare that I agree with a Yankee, but I like this idea. Instead of making both teams and fans endure the last couple innings of  a total blowout,  give the lead team a target to shoot for and another way to get a walkoff while also cutting down on scraptime injuries.

Of all the things wrong with the game, this isn't the one I'd look at. 

In the stadium, blowouts can be fun when the home team's ahead.  Even when losing, I paid for nine innings of baseball.

On TV, blowouts can make for very entertaining viewing depending on the broadcast team.  A laugher will still bring better ratings for the RSN than any other crap programming they have.

From a fantasy perspective, it's outrageous.  After opener pitchers and the death of the SB, there's only so much of this I can take.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Eephus said:

Of all the things wrong with the game, this isn't the one I'd look at. 

In the stadium, blowouts can be fun when the home team's ahead.  Even when losing, I paid for nine innings of baseball.

On TV, blowouts can make for very entertaining viewing depending on the broadcast team.  A laugher will still bring better ratings for the RSN than any other crap programming they have.

From a fantasy perspective, it's outrageous.  After opener pitchers and the death of the SB, there's only so much of this I can take.

It would also skew aggregate statistical accomplishments. Nobody would be on a level playing field regarding total outs in that case, if I'm not mistaken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Sale to see Dr. James Andrews.     😪

People were openly questioning that extension he got from Dombrowski with a year or so left when he'd had arm troubles the past year that were significant. The naysayers look to be right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Encumbrance said:

People were openly questioning that extension he got from Dombrowski with a year or so left when he'd had arm troubles the past year that were significant. The naysayers look to be right.

Yes but did it really need to happen the day before I advance to my 2 week semi round (where the winner is in the money)?  Maybe my replacement (Kolby Allard) will ease the pain.     🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Yes but did it really need to happen the day before I advance to my 2 week semi round (where the winner is in the money)?  Maybe my replacement (Kolby Allard) will ease the pain.     🙄

Oof. Sorry about that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Encumbrance said:

It would also skew aggregate statistical accomplishments. Nobody would be on a level playing field regarding total outs in that case, if I'm not mistaken.

That already happens with weather shortened games and cancelled games that don't get made up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Leroy Hoard said:

That already happens with weather shortened games and cancelled games that don't get made up. 

True, but those are due to natural causes, not causes because of play, and probably happen far less frequently than a mercy rule would. Regardless, it's just my opinion that you try and play all twenty-seven outs. Sort of the beauty of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding the electronic strike zone. It seems all broadcasts show some type of digital strike zone during the game.  However, none of them seem to adjust the zone based on the size of the hitter - the zone appears to be the same sized box whether it's altuve or judge at the plate.  

I saw a note mentioning Manfred said something about "electronic strikes zones were the future" and I started wondering if there would be a 1 size fits all zone or customized for each batter based on size, their stance, etc.

On a related note, there was a kid in the LLWS who was trying to draw a walk or something, so he stood at the plate crouched so low his butt was 2 inches off the ground. His head was 2 feet off the ground. Ump still called a regular strike zone as if the batter was standing normally. Was amusing and related to my question above. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.