What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Baseball Forum Pinned Thread (1 Viewer)

Eephus said:
JJ Cooper on Twitter ran some quick salary projections for Stewart that had him at $3.5M to the good taking this approach over the life of the contract. He'll also be a free agent at age 25 instead of entering his first or second arbitration year (assuming current CBA). The monetary difference would have been smaller if he accepted slot money last year--Cooper has him slipping to the 2nd round this year.

MiLB salaries are ridiculously low so total compensation is heavily dependent on signing bonus.

There's some risk of course. TINSTAAPP applies in Japan and cultural stuff could be tough on a kid. But it also has benefits vs. touring the Sally league in a bus.
If he's not in the league how would he become a free agent at 25? Wouldn't he have to wait another 6 years?

If he's not in the league how would he become a free agent at 25? Wouldn't he have to wait another 6 years?
Under the current system, if a player is 25 years old and a veteran of six seasons in NPB (or comparable overseas league), he's no longer subject to the international bonus pool limits.

If Stewart pans out and signs a big MLB contract six years from now, his Japanese team could make back their entire $7M investment in posting fees.

Between this and Kyler Murray, hopefully it wakes the MLBPA up to hammer on MiLB, draft and pre-FA compensation in the next CBA.

Between this and Kyler Murray, hopefully it wakes the MLBPA up to hammer on MiLB, draft and pre-FA compensation in the next CBA.
The problem is you’re asking current members of the mlbpa to care about potential future members of the mlbpa likely at the expense of themselves.  

Lol, angels just scored 2 runs on back to back wild pitches.

listening to a podcast, so wasn’t totally locked in and saw the second one and was thinking, man they are showing a lot of replays of this one wild pitch...but no, second wild pitch in almost the exact same spot.

The problem is you’re asking current members of the mlbpa to care about potential future members of the mlbpa likely at the expense of themselves.  
When the owners were playing ball in FA, I could buy this.  Not anymore.  They're not getting paid when drafted, not getting paid internationally, not getting paid their first 6+ years and now not getting paid in FA.  Their % of revenue is declining and not in line with the NFL and NBA.  Time for change.

When the owners were playing ball in FA, I could buy this.  Not anymore.  They're not getting paid when drafted, not getting paid internationally, not getting paid their first 6+ years and now not getting paid in FA.  Their % of revenue is declining and not in line with the NFL and NBA.  Time for change.
I actually agree with you. Change is needed and it might take a strike. I just don’t think of all the things mentioned, pre-FA compensation is the one of those they will go down fighting for. 

Note to Rays- if you want to have any chance against the Yanks please, please go get Kimbrel. The Twins just exposed the weak pen for what it is. 

Note to Rays- if you want to have any chance against the Yanks please, please go get Kimbrel. The Twins just exposed the weak pen for what it is. 
Before the twins series I believe they had the best bullpen era in baseball. Now third. It’s not the best pen in the league but it sure isn’t weak either. 

This isn't the takeaway.  The takeaway is the Twins offense is loaded.

I'm just glad I got gunshy and benched Yarbrough and Chirinos before the weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before the twins series I believe they had the best bullpen era in baseball. Now third. It’s not the best pen in the league but it sure isn’t weak either. 
Thankful that Kolerak is gone. I like Pagan, Stanek. Drake and Roe look good for a batter or two and then give up a dinger. Castillo and Alvarado are just scary as closers. If they'd just make Chirinos and Yarborough rotation starters and move Stanek to closing leaving Beeks for long relief I believe it would be an improvement.

Thankful that Kolerak is gone. I like Pagan, Stanek. Drake and Roe look good for a batter or two and then give up a dinger. Castillo and Alvarado are just scary as closers. If they'd just make Chirinos and Yarborough rotation starters and move Stanek to closing leaving Beeks for long relief I believe it would be an improvement.
Yes Kolarek is awful. I agree Stanek should be closing - he has excellent stiff. I think you just have to work through it with Alvarado and Castillo - they’re young. I can’t imagine many guys have Alvarado’s stuff. 

I would love Kimbrel but don’t see it happening. Also, McKay and DeLeon will be up soon. McKay in particular should add a huge boost. 

Yes Kolarek is awful. I agree Stanek should be closing - he has excellent stiff. I think you just have to work through it with Alvarado and Castillo - they’re young. I can’t imagine many guys have Alvarado’s stuff. 

I would love Kimbrel but don’t see it happening. Also, McKay and DeLeon will be up soon. McKay in particular should add a huge boost. 
Freudian Slip?

The Twins are going to need a bullpen upgrade if they want to take advantage of this season.  I'd rather get it now and sign Kimbrel than have to give up prospects to get it later. Offer him 2 years/whatever he wants.  Windows close quickly, and 2 years won't screw them in the future as badly as giving up a top prospect for like, whoever the Mets closer is would. 

The Twins are going to need a bullpen upgrade if they want to take advantage of this season.  I'd rather get it now and sign Kimbrel than have to give up prospects to get it later. Offer him 2 years/whatever he wants.  Windows close quickly, and 2 years won't screw them in the future as badly as giving up a top prospect for like, whoever the Mets closer is would. 
After all this, I don't see him settling for two years

I think it will come down to the Cubs and Twins for Kimbrel. The Cubs all winter cried "poorhouse" as reasoning for why they did not pursue Kimbrel or Harper. However, with Ben Zobrist out on unpaid leave, and with each passing day making it look as if he will not ever return, the Cubs suddenly have an extra nine million dollars to spend.

As much as I would like to see him in a Cubs uniform, if the money is similar, Minnesota is the much smarter play. Minnesota gives him a pitcher's park in a division filled with woeful offenses. We know how Wrigley Field plays during the summer, and he gets to see Yelich/Cain/Ozuna/Carpenter/Goldschmidt/Votto/Senzel and Bell for half his games. 

I would love to see TB or Minny spend on these guys. It could create an interesting secondary market. Small/mid market teams cant afford to compete for FAs in the offseason when they dont know what they have and, if they find out early in a season that they can make a push, they're often forced to give up prospects to fill their holes which shortens their success arc. with the Draft Pick market, small-market contenders can plug holes using just money for good reason. Hope the Twinkies or somebody turn this into a thing.

Dallas to Atlanta on prorated deal.   Took a 4 million dollar 2 month vacation from Houston.

Users who are viewing this thread