What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Baseball Forum Pinned Thread (5 Viewers)

This season for fantasy is a complete crap shoot.  I wish I had just taken the year off.  You have players who are going to be catching the virus throughout the year.  You have pitchers who are on a pitch count early in the season.  Normally not a big deal but when you’re looking at a max of 11-12 starts, this is a huge deal.  

Not funny.  Actually depressing.  
It’s funny because it was obvious, greedy, arrogant, completely stupid, avoidable and irresponsible. MLB deserves the scorn. Hopefully the players and coaches are ok. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Meanwhile, 4256 tests last week and 0 positive tests for the NHL, I wonder what the differences could be. Leagues around the world are getting restarted but they are mostly 1 - in a bubble and 2 - not in the United States.  It will be interesting to see how the other American pro sports fare, NBA already has to deal with Lou Williams leaving the bubble to go to a strip club.

Meanwhile, 4256 tests last week and 0 positive tests for the NHL, I wonder what the differences could be. Leagues around the world are getting restarted but they are mostly 1 - in a bubble and 2 - not in the United States.
Not sure what you're getting at here. Preds were in Nashville for weeks prior to getting on a plane for Edmonton yesterday. We're a supposed hot zone. I'm pretty sure the rest of the US-based teams just did the same thing.

Nothing more American than ignoring the virus and just hoping it goes away and then acting surprised when it doesn’t 🇺🇸 
This.  It's why my answers and posts here are so snarky.  This country is littered with morons.  Just watch the TV.  Listen to "leadership".  We are a stupid nation, splintered into 50 mini nations, which is the main reason we can never solve this issue.  We pander to regions and people for political and monetary reasons.  Nothing and i mean nothing is done to benefit this nation as a whole.  We do not have a popular vote, we have an electoral college.  We have lightly populated states represented in Congress, but these same states also get 2 Senators?   Our whole system and culture is off. 

Not sure what you're getting at here. Preds were in Nashville for weeks prior to getting on a plane for Edmonton yesterday. We're a supposed hot zone. I'm pretty sure the rest of the US-based teams just did the same thing.
NHL has been in mini bubbles before going to a mega bubble, the Preds players for example were in Nashville and nowhere else. 

Also NHL players as a group are probably a lot more likely to take distancing, mask wearing and the like more seriously due to the background of the players of the league. Sure, it could all go to #### in week 1 for the NHL but 0 positive tests in a week, I don't think MLB ever got there, even before they had a true outbreak as they do now. 

• Thanks
Reactions: RnR
NHL has been in mini bubbles before going to a mega bubble, the Preds players for example were in Nashville and nowhere else. 

Also NHL players as a group are probably a lot more likely to take distancing, mask wearing and the like more seriously due to the background of the players of the league. Sure, it could all go to #### in week 1 for the NHL but 0 positive tests in a week, I don't think MLB ever got there, even before they had a true outbreak as they do now. 
I'd ask you to unpack that statement, but knowing you I don't think it has the undertones it sorta implies. That's enough to get you "canceled" here in the US of A. 😆

This.  It's why my answers and posts here are so snarky.  This country is littered with morons.  Just watch the TV.  Listen to "leadership".  We are a stupid nation, splintered into 50 mini nations, which is the main reason we can never solve this issue.  We pander to regions and people for political and monetary reasons.  Nothing and i mean nothing is done to benefit this nation as a whole.  We do not have a popular vote, we have an electoral college.  We have lightly populated states represented in Congress, but these same states also get 2 Senators?   Our whole system and culture is off. 
Yes. I know you’ve mentioned moving overseas (or already have done so) - we are most definitely doing that upon retirement. 

I'd ask you to unpack that statement, but knowing you I don't think it has the undertones it sorta implies. That's enough to get you "canceled" here in the US of A. 😆
It's really about the people of Canada and Europe being more submissive than Americans (broad brush I know but I think generally true) and just generally being willing to simply distance and wear a mask if authority tells them to. It's obviously not the same in the United States, for better or worse. 

It's really about the people of Canada and Europe being more submissive than Americans (broad brush I know but I think generally true) and just generally being willing to simply distance and wear a mask if authority tells them to. It's obviously not the same in the United States, for better or worse. 
Oh, I'm with you. You're right on that. There obviously are a lot of Latin American players in MLB as well. That demographic has a different approach to things as well.

It’s funny because it was obvious, greedy, arrogant, completely stupid, avoidable and irresponsible. MLB deserves the scorn. Hopefully the players and coaches are ok. 
I'm not saying you're wrong, but isn't this the case with every open business right now? 

I'm not saying you're wrong, but isn't this the case with every open business right now? 
I love how the players in all leagues blame the commisioner for Union bargained items.  Like the commisioner is hitting strip clubs, beating his girlfriend, doing 110 in a 40 mph zone, etc.

I love how the players in all leagues blame the commisioner for Union bargained items.  Like the commisioner is hitting strip clubs, beating his girlfriend, doing 110 in a 40 mph zone, etc.
All I'm saying is every business is facing these challenges.  Why is baseball any different?  Why are they any more greedy, arrogant, stupid, or irresponsible for wanting to make their dollar?

All I'm saying is every business is facing these challenges.  Why is baseball any different?  Why are they any more greedy, arrogant, stupid, or irresponsible for wanting to make their dollar?
Asking the wrong guy. I’ve said from the start a lot of businesses shouldn’t be open. Government should have shut it all down and paid people to stay home for 4-6 weeks to throughly suppress this. But they didn’t and here we are. A true hellhole. 

Asking the wrong guy. I’ve said from the start a lot of businesses shouldn’t be open. Government should have shut it all down and paid people to stay home for 4-6 weeks to throughly suppress this. But they didn’t and here we are. A true hellhole. 
Agreed.  The bolded is certainly the part that was half assed, and that seemed to somewhat work, but it wasn't sustainable.  

As things are though I don't see how you can blame baseball for doing their best to get their season going.

The Giants still can't hit but offense looks like it'll be up at Oracle Park, especially for lefty bats. 

They brought the fences in a little this year but the bigger effect has come from blocking off the fencing along the right field wall to keep fans from peeking in on the games.  The ball seems to be carrying a lot better.

Kudos to Trevor Rosenthal for sticking with it. Last year he looked about as washed-up as any pitcher could be. It's good to see determination pay off.

I do wonder if they suspend things again and pivot to a multiple bubble situation.  They could have a bubble in NYC.  Another in Chicago/Mil.  Another in LA.  Multiple MLB stadiums each place with access to other minor league/college stadiums as well.

rodg12 said:
I do wonder if they suspend things again and pivot to a multiple bubble situation.  They could have a bubble in NYC.  Another in Chicago/Mil.  Another in LA.  Multiple MLB stadiums each place with access to other minor league/college stadiums as well.
It’s the only option. Three bubbles for the three sets of divisions. 

rodg12 said:
And they could start in the morning and we could have baseball all day long everyday. 

The Giants still can't hit but offense looks like it'll be up at Oracle Park, especially for lefty bats. 

They brought the fences in a little this year but the bigger effect has come from blocking off the fencing along the right field wall to keep fans from peeking in on the games.  The ball seems to be carrying a lot better.
Was that you in the kayak diving for Yaz's walkoff HR ball?

So hear me out here, any league commissioner who is sticking to weekly lineup changes is being an idiot right?

I'm in a league with weekly changes and obviously for this current week, I've lost a ton of Jays in my lineup, not to mention all the Marlins, Cardinals, Nationals, Brewers and Phillies.

But for next week with weekly changes, you can't start any Marlins, Phillies, Nationals OR ANY TEAM THEY PLAY.

I'm bringing this up in a league with weekly changes and a couple people think I'm overreacting but come on now, you have to go to daily lineup changes in these covid times, don't you? I don't see how it ends up anywhere close to fair otherwise...

So hear me out here, any league commissioner who is sticking to weekly lineup changes is being an idiot right?

I'm in a league with weekly changes and obviously for this current week, I've lost a ton of Jays in my lineup, not to mention all the Marlins, Cardinals, Nationals, Brewers and Phillies.

But for next week with weekly changes, you can't start any Marlins, Phillies, Nationals OR ANY TEAM THEY PLAY.

I'm bringing this up in a league with weekly changes and a couple people think I'm overreacting but come on now, you have to go to daily lineup changes in these covid times, don't you? I don't see how it ends up anywhere close to fair otherwise...
Agree.  In addition to daily changes, leagues should expand bench size and allow daily FAAB.  In reality, I don't even know if it makes sense to continue with fantasy this year.  

Was coming in here to say how stupid 7 inning doubleheaders are but then remembered how good the Reds rotation looks and how bad the bullpen has been.  Let’s do this!

@timbhealey

2m

BREAKING: The Mets don't know where Yoenis Cespedes is. Team statement: "As of game time, Yoenis Céspedes has not reported to the ballpark today. He did not reach out to management with any explanation for his absence. Our attempts to contact him have been unsuccessful."

@timbhealey

2m

BREAKING: The Mets don't know where Yoenis Cespedes is. Team statement: "As of game time, Yoenis Céspedes has not reported to the ballpark today. He did not reach out to management with any explanation for his absence. Our attempts to contact him have been unsuccessful."

According to Mike Puma and Joel Sherman of the New York Post, Yoenis Cespedes twice "confronted Mets officials" over playing time before opting out of the 2020 season.

Cespedes apparently felt like Mets management was trying to prevent him from triggering certain contract bonuses and became increasingly disgruntled when he was not written into the lineup for Sunday afternoon's series finale in Atlanta. He didn't board any of the team buses to Truist Park and instead packed his bags and had his agent contact the Mets to inform them of his decision to opt out over concerns related to COVID-19. That notice from the agent didn't reach Mets GM Brodie Van Wagenen until Sunday's game was well underway, which led to hours of concern and speculation around the baseball industry. Never a boring day in Mets land.

Source: New York Post           Aug 2, 2020, 7:43 PM ET

shuke said:
Was coming in here to say how stupid 7 inning doubleheaders are but then remembered how good the Reds rotation looks and how bad the bullpen has been.  Let’s do this!
Prophetic

Users who are viewing this thread