Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Eephus

***Official Rob Manfred Wisdom Thread

2 minutes ago, shady inc said:

Regarding the electronic strike zone. It seems all broadcasts show some type of digital strike zone during the game.  However, none of them seem to adjust the zone based on the size of the hitter - the zone appears to be the same sized box whether it's altuve or judge at the plate.  

I saw a note mentioning Manfred said something about "electronic strikes zones were the future" and I started wondering if there would be a 1 size fits all zone or customized for each batter based on size, their stance, etc.

On a related note, there was a kid in the LLWS who was trying to draw a walk or something, so he stood at the plate crouched so low his butt was 2 inches off the ground. His head was 2 feet off the ground. Ump still called a regular strike zone as if the batter was standing normally. Was amusing and related to my question above. 

I thought the strike zone was the hitter's natural one. That may be the reason for the little league strike. 

7 pitchers in history have now thrown multiple immaculate innings.  All of whom are totally on the same plain...

Lefty Grove
Sandy Koufax
Nolan Ryan
Randy Johnson
Max Scherzer
Chris Sale
Kevin Gausman

24 minutes ago, shady inc said:

Regarding the electronic strike zone. It seems all broadcasts show some type of digital strike zone during the game.  However, none of them seem to adjust the zone based on the size of the hitter - the zone appears to be the same sized box whether it's altuve or judge at the plate.  

I saw a note mentioning Manfred said something about "electronic strikes zones were the future" and I started wondering if there would be a 1 size fits all zone or customized for each batter based on size, their stance, etc.

On a related note, there was a kid in the LLWS who was trying to draw a walk or something, so he stood at the plate crouched so low his butt was 2 inches off the ground. His head was 2 feet off the ground. Ump still called a regular strike zone as if the batter was standing normally. Was amusing and related to my question above. 

Somewhat related:

Since 2008, MLB teams have recorded 51 cycles, 48 triple plays and 38-no hitters. In that same span, home-plate umpires have made every pitch call correctly on one team just 24 times, per The Ringer. That's roughly once per 1,200 games, or about twice per season.

On 8/19/2019 at 3:41 PM, shady inc said:

On 8/19/2019 at 3:44 PM, rockaction said:

I thought the strike zone was the hitter's natural one. That may be the reason for the little league strike. 

Rockaction is correct.  The strike zone is deemed to be shoulders to knees of a batter in a natural hitting position.  Therefore when the LL crouched it did nothing to change the actual strike zone...it only plays mind games with the pitcher.

Classic Yankees vs Dodgers matchup in hideous black and white uniforms. 

On 8/27/2019 at 9:26 PM, Long Ball Larry said:

Royals are worth a billion dollars?  damn.

Consider that the MARLINS went for 1.2B (in 2017) and had ~5K people in the stands Monday night.

Edited by heckmanm

2 hours ago, heckmanm said:

Consider that the MARLINS went for 1.2B (in 2017) and had ~5K people in the stands Monday night.

yeah, i guess i forgot about that, and in looking at the full list of valuations, i see that the royals are basically the bottom.  haven't been keeping up with the valuations much, but damn.

Michael Lorenzen starting in CF today, first time in his career starting at a position.

Last night he became the first player to earn the win, hit a home run and play in the field in the same game since Babe Ruth on June 13, 1921

On the season he's hitting 353/421/588( only 19 PA) and career 267/302/515.

He also has 74 IP this year with a 3.04 ERA and 75/27 BB/K, because he's a pitcher. 

Edited by Northern Voice
  • Like 3

30 year old Brian Moran made his major league debut last night and struck out the second batter he faced, younger brother, Colin Moran.

THAT

IS

AWESOME

• Like 1

ARI Wins With 1 Baserunner

Nick Ahmed's triple was the only baserunner for Arizona, but thanks to a sacrifice fly by Jarrod Dyson, Ahmed scored and that was enough for the Diamondbacks to defeat the Reds. This is the first time since at least 1908 that a team has won a 9-inning game with just 1 baserunner.

On 8/15/2019 at 11:19 AM, MAC_32 said:

Of all the games that could be shown on ESPN+ today, we get...

49-72 Seattle (Matt Wisler) @ 36-81 Detroit (Spencer Turnbull)

:shrug:

You one-upped yourselves you big beautiful bastards. Standing alone on ESPN+ this afternoon we have a battle between two 100+ loss teams with a combined run deficit of 551. Which happen to be more runs than the Tigers have even scored on their own this year. Incredible.

On 9/6/2019 at 10:32 AM, shadyridr said:

30 year old Brian Moran made his major league debut last night and struck out the second batter he faced, younger brother, Colin Moran.

THAT

IS

AWESOME

He probably wouldn't get called up next year.  Same thing with the feel good Aaron Barrett story.  Those will be eliminated by the decision to limit rosters to 28 guys.  Just a dumb move.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodg12 said:

He probably wouldn't get called up next year.  Same thing with the feel good Aaron Barrett story.  Those will be eliminated by the decision to limit rosters to 28 guys.  Just a dumb move.

Disagree completely. 40 man rosters is dumb (hello Red Sox bullpen). Despite the few nice stories that might emerge. 

21 hours ago, shadyridr said:
23 hours ago, rodg12 said:

Disagree completely. 40 man rosters is dumb (hello Red Sox bullpen). Despite the few nice stories that might emerge. 

Teams should designate a 28 man active roster per game or series.  This would allow teams to cycle players into their roster to get a look and give a taste.  Require a minimum number of position players to avoid the 10-12 reliever marathons. 

September baseball can be ugly if your team isn't playing for anything.  Seeing what the callups look like is one of the best things about it.

• Like 3

On 9/17/2019 at 2:14 PM, Eephus said:

Teams should designate a 28 man active roster per game or series.  This would allow teams to cycle players into their roster to get a look and give a taste.  Require a minimum number of position players to avoid the 10-12 reliever marathons. 

September baseball can be ugly if your team isn't playing for anything.  Seeing what the callups look like is one of the best things about it.

:goodposting:

10 games left in the season. 7 between the Cards and Cubs with 3 games separating them.

Even if it goes the wrong way, I'll take that many meaningful games between these two teams this time of year.  Yay baseball.

• Like 1

So I drop Rizzo because he was he was supposed to be in a walking boot for a week and now he’s leading off tonight 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cosjobs said:

Greinke's throwing a perfect game. one out in bottom of the ninth.

well ####, I guess that's why they say you shouldn't mention it. :bag:

Managerial openings:  San Francisco, San Diego, Anaheim, Kansas City, Cubs, Pittsburgh

On 9/30/2019 at 2:06 PM, Eephus said:

Managerial openings:  San Francisco, San Diego, Anaheim, Kansas City, Cubs, Pittsburgh

pending: Philadelphia

Where's the thread where you guys discuss the horrible state of today's HR/Strikeout surge and the bloated game times.. i have some thoughts there and want people to complain with.

16 hours ago, Dentist said:

Where's the thread where you guys discuss the horrible state of today's HR/Strikeout surge and the bloated game times.. i have some thoughts there and want people to complain with.

One upside that maybe only I care about... I DVR a lot of games and start them late, both football and baseball. One of the main advantages to football is you can press the “skip 30 seconds” button and not miss a play. You catch up quickly and never miss things. 

Well last 2 nights, you can skip 30 seconds and not miss a pitch. 

Edited by cheese

On 10/3/2019 at 10:07 AM, Eephus said:
On 9/30/2019 at 11:06 AM, Eephus said:

adding the Mets

Here's a Google Sheet from Jon Becker that tracks the candidates for each job.

and Philadelphia

PEORIA, AZ — A pitcher for the San Diego Padres was kicked and tased after a Peoria homeowner found him trespassing in his home.

Peoria police report that on October 6 about 3:30 a.m., they were called to a home near 91st Avenue and Beardsley Road for a reported trespasser.

The homeowner reported to police that a man, later identified as 23-year-old Jacob James Nix, entered his home through a doggie door. The homeowner confronted Nix, kicking him one time in the face. Police say another man, 23-year-old Thomas Cosgrove, then reached through the doggie door to pull Nix out of the home.

As the two fled, the homeowner leaned out of the doggie door and deployed his Taser, striking Nix in the back, according to court records.  Police located and arrested the pair a few streets away.

According to MLB.com, Nix pitched in nine games for Padres in 2018 but was injured most of last season. Cosgrove was also drafted by the Padres in 2017, pitching in their minor league system.  Nix was assigned to the Peoria Javelinas, an Arizona Fall League team, earlier this month, according to his MLB player page.

Baseball America releases details about MLB's proposal to reorganized the minor leagues effective 2021.  I doubt they all will come to pass but they hint at some of the far-reaching changes the game will see in the years ahead.

On 6/5/2019 at 11:32 AM, General Malaise said:

Nats playing better of late.  Wonder if that's a team that could catch fire and be a contender after a brutal start.

Shoulda found a way to bet this. :kicksrock:

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Eephus said:

Baseball America releases details about MLB's proposal to reorganized the minor leagues effective 2021.  I doubt they all will come to pass but they hint at some of the far-reaching changes the game will see in the years ahead.

Hope it includes expansion into Portland. Please.

5 hours ago, General Malaise said:

Hope it includes expansion into Portland. Please.

Under the proposal, the Pacific Coast League would get slashed from 17 to 10 teams

On 9/30/2019 at 1:06 PM, Eephus said:

In somewhat surprising news, Joe Espada returns to Chicago on Monday for a second interview with Theo/Jed. For the past week it has been a foregone conclusion in the media that David Ross would be the next Cubs manager, and would be announced the day before the World Series begins.

On 10/20/2019 at 10:49 PM, Encyclopedia Brown said:

In somewhat surprising news, Joe Espada returns to Chicago on Monday for a second interview with Theo/Jed. For the past week it has been a foregone conclusion in the media that David Ross would be the next Cubs manager, and would be announced the day before the World Series begins.

Looks like it is going to be Ross.

• Like 1

Curtis Granderson is retiring.

He will have a great career in television if he wants it.