What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Odell Beckham "Going Dark" To Gather His Thoughts (1 Viewer)

What's the concern level about this?

• 0. No concern at all

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • 1. A little Concerned

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • 2. Concerned

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • 3. Very Conerned

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 4. Extremely Concerned

Votes: 7 8.0%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
What's the concern level about this?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/20/odell-beckham-says-he-needs-to-gather-thoughts-in-deleted-social-media-post/

The statement issued after the trade that brought receiver Odell Beckham Jr. to Cleveland had Beckham saying all the right things. His own words were slightly less effusive, calling the trade “bittersweet.” A recent social media post sent a more complicated message.

“I love you all so much, for the ones that follow and support I thank u all for that,” Beckham wrote Tuesday in an Instagram post that he then deleted, via 92.3 The Fan in Cleveland. “I’m takin an emotional, mental, physical/blah blah blah vacation. I appreciate the love honestly but at this moment for the next couple of days I’m goin dark. I won’t be around, phone is gone, with all due respect, please don’t text/call/FaceTime unless it’s of the utmost importance. I really need some time to vibe and just get away, process, reevaluate some of the things in my life, as much has changed for me recently. I’m doin amazing thanks for askin!!! Im really just tryin to get everything together and gather all my thoughts so I can take the next steps in my life to be the very very very best me moving forward . God bless u all and again thanks for the love and support, I will see u soon. . . . Always LUVVVVV.”

After the trade went down, Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reported that Beckham (who has five years, $74 million left on his current contract) wants a new deal. Also, former teammate Saquon Barkley said Tuesday that he spoke to Beckham immediately after the trade and “I don’t think he was really happy about it.”

The deleted post could be interpreted as confirming that, or at least indicating that one week removed from the trade Beckham isn’t sure about his feelings on it. Or maybe he’s trying to figure out how to go about asking for a new deal without being perceived a distraction.

Regardless, the notion that Beckham unconditionally has embraced this dramatic change in his football life has eroded in the time since the trade happened, and it’s worth paying attention to everything he says and does as the offseason program approaches, including whether and to what extent he participates in the offseason program.

I'm not sure this is that big of a deal. We act like these guys aren't human sometimes. What if you loved living in the NY/NJ area and all of a sudden you were told you have to move to Cleveland?

Maybe taking a little time off to evaluate what lead to the team that used a high draft resource and was willing to pay him millions suddenly decided he's not worth it will turn out to be a good thing for his maturity process.

He's emotional fragile and now his ego is bruised he was traded for a croissant and a banana peel frappe.

He's emotional fragile and now his ego is bruised he was traded for a croissant and a banana peel frappe.
This. I think this has many angles to it. 

1. Moving from the NY area with a buzzing nightlife and big markets to Cleveland

2. His ego is damaged after seeing how much he was traded for

3. He is a nut case. 

OBJ has potential to single handedly prevent the Browns from being great due to whatever his new contract demands are putting them in salary cap hell. With zero skin in the game, this is entertaining

:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
Diva do what diva do. 

As long as he's not depressed and suicidal, this is just another episode of the OBJ show. CLE bought into it knowing he's a full-on whackjob and, a week later, it's showtime!

He’s one of those guys I wouldn’t pay the price on. Feels like the knucklehead factor isn’t figured into his value. Great player don’t get me wrong but one of those guys you could be reading a headline on.

He’s one of those guys I wouldn’t pay the price on. Feels like the knucklehead factor isn’t figured into his value. Great player don’t get me wrong but one of those guys you could be reading a headline on.
Yes, how quickly we forget. I tried to trade for OBJ and Tyreek Hill... both good deals for their owners, both fell through. Landed Diggs instead. OBJ probably has an awesome season but his price should be affected by the knuckleheadedness and potential for headaches

Yes, how quickly we forget. I tried to trade for OBJ and Tyreek Hill... both good deals for their owners, both fell through. Landed Diggs instead. OBJ probably has an awesome season but his price should be affected by the knuckleheadedness and potential for headaches
In OBJs defense, his issues are nowhere near Tyreek Hills. He is more like a Terrell Owens. Great player who works hard doesn’t get in trouble with the law, but is not a great team player. 

With that said I have zero doubt he will be a big distraction at times.

In OBJs defense, his issues are nowhere near Tyreek Hills. He is more like a Terrell Owens. Great player who works hard doesn’t get in trouble with the law, but is not a great team player. 

With that said I have zero doubt he will be a big distraction at times.
100% agree

I find this one interesting. 

I have friends who see this as actually a positive thing. 

Others are pretty worried.

Interesting. 

More drama.  Yippee.  
Isn't this the opposite of drama? How is taking a break from social media considered drama? 

Are you confusing him with Antonio Brown? I mean it wasn't the biggest haul ever but they got way more for him than AB. 

He has been suspended 1 game a few years ago. What is the worry exactly?

Isn't this the opposite of drama? How is taking a break from social media considered drama? 

Are you confusing him with Antonio Brown? I mean it wasn't the biggest haul ever but they got way more for him than AB. 

1. Star player traded always makes me a little nervous, team always knows more than we do.

2. His sidelines antics makes me question his mental well being

3. the pic not long ago with the instagram model with the drug stuff around

He's just wrapping his head around going from NYC to Cleveland. The football situation is way better, but he's probably thinking he wants more money since AB got more money. 

Just because it wasn't the worst price doesn't mean it was a good price.  AB wanted out and did a lot to damage his price.  OBJ thought he was the center of the NYGiverse right up until they told him he wasn't and to clean out his locker.

I find this one interesting. 

I have friends who see this as actually a positive thing. 

Others are pretty worried.

Interesting. 

Here’s the problem - given his track record to date, no one (probably including the Browns) can figure out what is in this guy’s head and what it means moving forward.  If he’s a STer, that’s not such a big deal.  If he's being counted on to be an integral part of a team on the rise and poised to make a statement, that’s a whole different deal.  There’s no way to get a reliable read on this guy and how to determine where his head is at in any given moment.

Here’s the problem - given his track record to date, no one (probably including the Browns) can figure out what is in this guy’s head and what it means moving forward.  If he’s a STer, that’s not such a big deal.  If he's being counted on to be an integral part of a team on the rise and poised to make a statement, that’s a whole different deal.  There’s no way to get a reliable read on this guy and how to determine where his head is at in any given moment.
I guess I don't get this. What has he ever done that made it seem like he wasn't all in on being a great football player?

Just because it wasn't the worst price doesn't mean it was a good price.  AB wanted out and did a lot to damage his price.  OBJ thought he was the center of the NYGiverse right up until they told him he wasn't and to clean out his locker.
Maybe, I have never met him so that just seems like conjecture. 

1. Star player traded always makes me a little nervous, team always knows more than we do.

2. His sidelines antics makes me question his mental well being

3. the pic not long ago with the instagram model with the drug stuff around
We can never know what he's like in team meetings or at practice so I try to avoid any conjecture there. There are lots of reasons a team might want to move on from a star player. Perhaps OBJ was trying to convince the GM to replace Eli or perhaps the owner didn't like OBJ and wanted him moved. Maybe Gettelman just has some old school ideas about football (sure seems that way) and OBJ doesn't fit. OBJ does seem to get really mad when he or the team underperform. I won't hold that against him. Outside of football he has done nothing to make me question his dedication as an athlete. Him laying in bed with a pizza and a model and some drugs won't change that. Perhaps the model was using the drugs? Maybe OBJ was? He has never failed a drug test. Cocaine didn't stop LT in New York. Wasn't John Lynch famous for drinking 40 muay thais in one sitting after a game? Until there is even 1 piece of evidence that his lifestyle or mentality are hurting his performance on the field, I don't care. 

Zero concern to me, but then again, the entire concept that somebody 'going dark" on their social media account(s) for a few days, is newsworthy? It is pretty pathetic.

So maybe I am #4 "extremely concerned", but not about Beckham... don't give a rat's ### about him (or any of these guys). Just names on a fantasy football team to me.

so, he's playing the "I was loyal to NYC, why'd they do me like this" card, while he (happily) moves to an upcoming team w a QB and o-line that isnt crippled?

he's portraying the anti-AB (even if he actually isnt), what's the issue? 

He has serious mental problems. Should be solid in year 1 in CLE but as time goes by, look out, regardless of success. As a Mayfield owner, it doesn't matter if he melts down, Mayfield makes receivers better like Brady & Brees. Callaway is more than capable of taking his place barring a stupid move himself.

I took a job promotion with more responsibility a couple years ago, and I took a break from social media and drinking for a few month to make sure I was clear headed through the big change. Sounds like I probably had some mental issues according to this thread.

This seems like a non issue.

Odb is crazy as hell.  Wtf would this loon be doing without football
I have to disasgree GB. So he got mad and threw a small tantrum when he was 24 and lost a game? When I was 30, I get so upset at some issue I was having coding a website for a grad school class that I kicked my home office door and put a hole through it. I calmed down, fixed the website, bought a new door, painted it and replaced it. I am fine- I was just frustrated because of all the time I had put into the website and it wasn't turning out how I had hoped. Is that really so crazy?

I have to disasgree GB. So he got mad and threw a small tantrum when he was 24 and lost a game? When I was 30, I get so upset at some issue I was having coding a website for a grad school class that I kicked my home office door and put a hole through it. I calmed down, fixed the website, bought a new door, painted it and replaced it. I am fine- I was just frustrated because of all the time I had put into the website and it wasn't turning out how I had hoped. Is that really so crazy?
No.

I just dislike him. 

Neat story.  Has zero to do with ODB, who absolutely has issues.

you have to move to Cleveland?
This. 

It's really not a horrible City these days, 20 years ago it was in contention with Detroit for crappiest "big" city in the US. But it's definitely not NYC. 

Best receiver in the NFL but he is going to be a headache for the Browns. They knew that going in.
I'll take Hopkins. 

But yes, I agree he's basically the new TO. a little less flamboyant so far. 

This. 

It's really not a horrible City these days, 20 years ago it was in contention with Detroit for crappiest "big" city in the US. But it's definitely not NYC. 

I'll take Hopkins. 

But yes, I agree he's basically the new TO. a little less flamboyant so far. 
And I honestly wasn't even trying to downplay Cleveland - it's more just the uprooting and moving from a place you like to a new place. With that said Beckham seems like more of a NY guy than a mid-west guy at this point at least.

And I honestly wasn't even trying to downplay Cleveland - it's more just the uprooting and moving from a place you like to a new place. With that said Beckham seems like more of a NY guy than a mid-west guy at this point at least.

Beckham could probably use a little Midwest attitude adjustment.  This move could possibly provide a calming effect in his life.

As to CLE - it’s got a horrible rep from its past, but based upon first hand experience its currently a pretty good place to be.  The people as a whole have always been good, but the downtown revitalization has really turned the city around.  Some pretty good nightlife now.

Users who are viewing this thread