Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Kraft...

2019 All Things Closers Thread

2 hours ago, Northern Voice said:

I feel like Minter will get a chance again soon in Atlanta. 

I've been watching him too, you beat me to him in Uber

You would think the Cubs would have remembered what happened with Greg Holland and St. Louis last year, and avoided such a debacle, but obviously not.

Kimbrel looks stiff and unpolished. He looks like a guy who is in the middle stage of spring training, just at that point where he has completed stretching and is beginning to work on his repertoire in a B-game.  

15 hours ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

You would think the Cubs would have remembered what happened with Greg Holland and St. Louis last year, and avoided such a debacle, but obviously not.

Kimbrel looks stiff and unpolished. He looks like a guy who is in the middle stage of spring training, just at that point where he has completed stretching and is beginning to work on his repertoire in a B-game.  

He's still better than Holland

On 4/24/2019 at 12:49 PM, Kraft... said:

Likely nothing to see here with Emilio Pagan, but with the wackyness of the Rays staff I took a shot and grabbed him in Uber. He could be sent back down in a couple days but something to watch :shrug: 

I've actually held him this whole time, he's been a solid K/ratio guy picking up the occasional W and S. Now due to injuries looks like he should be the Rays closer to start the 2nd half. Patience paid off :excited: lets see if he can keep the gig :mellow:

Poche and Dyson getting a lot of waiver action. Anything to see there?

2 hours ago, cosjobs said:

Poche and Dyson getting a lot of waiver action. Anything to see there?

Will Smith is going to get trade so somebody will close for the newly dominant Giants.  It would be classic Bochy to go with the the proven closer Dyson instead of Reyes Moronta.  Of course, Dyson is on Farhan's trading block too so Melancon will probably get a shot :bag:

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Kraft... said:

So closers likely to get dealt: Giles, "Elite" Will Smith, Colome, Greene. . . . .??

Kirby Yates maybe.

Some crap closers may get dealt like Givens, Romo and Elias which will open opportunities for others.  I've been eyeing Austin Adams' sexy peripherals and was getting ready to add him over the weekend but typical of the Mariners' bullpen, he got hurt.

1 hour ago, Eephus said:

Will Smith is going to get trade so somebody will close for the newly dominant Giants.  It would be classic Bochy to go with the the proven closer Dyson instead of Reyes Moronta.  Of course, Dyson is on Farhan's trading block too so Melancon will probably get a shot :bag:

I do not endorse adding Melancon

11 hours ago, Kraft... said:

So closers likely to get dealt: Giles, "Elite" Will Smith, Colome, Greene. . . . .??

In past years closers moving may mean setting up elsewhere, but this year looks different - I think most of these guys end up closing wherever they get moved. Undoing one mess and leaving one behind them.

Except Kennedy, who I would add to the list.

Edited by MAC_32
awful gram-er

Raisel Iglesias may not get dealt because A. he has a very reasonable contract beyond this year and B. the NLCentral is such a pile up, the Reds don't know if they're buying or selling.

However, I still think it's a real possibility.  The Reds new front office + David Bell has turned into one of the most progressive analytics driven teams in the league.  It's not hard to see them not valuing a set closer and paying him real money to be in last place.  Iglesias has had a couple public issues with his "new usage" and frankly seems from the outside to be a weird personality mix with the fun and brash clubhouse the Reds seem to promote. 

tldr: I won't be surprised if Raisel Iglesias becomes one of the hot names in a couple weeks.  I don't think that will help much for the purposes of fantasy baseball though because I think David Bell would jump at the chance to just use his relievers however he wanted each night.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cheese said:

Raisel Iglesias may not get dealt because A. he has a very reasonable contract beyond this year and B. the NLCentral is such a pile up, the Reds don't know if they're buying or selling.

However, I still think it's a real possibility.  The Reds new front office + David Bell has turned into one of the most progressive analytics driven teams in the league.  It's not hard to see them not valuing a set closer and paying him real money to be in last place.  Iglesias has had a couple public issues with his "new usage" and frankly seems from the outside to be a weird personality mix with the fun and brash clubhouse the Reds seem to promote. 

tldr: I won't be surprised if Raisel Iglesias becomes one of the hot names in a couple weeks.  I don't think that will help much for the purposes of fantasy baseball though because I think David Bell would jump at the chance to just use his relievers however he wanted each night.

it's who i've wanted Dombrowski to go after for the Sox since i knew they weren't reupping Kimbrel

31 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

it's who i've wanted Dombrowski to go after for the Sox since i knew they weren't reupping Kimbrel

Dom has something left in the farm system to sell?

(only said with some sarcasm)

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, General Malaise said:

Any reason why the Jays keep Giles?

May be a buyer's market for relief pitching. Do the Jays have any realistic aspirations of competing next year? Uninformed with much of their starting pitching, majors and minors. 

5 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

May be a buyer's market for relief pitching. Do the Jays have any realistic aspirations of competing next year? Uninformed with much of their starting pitching, majors and minors. 

Their pitching is a dumpster fire. Giles keeps getting minor injuries (not available again today) that might limit the return they get for him but his numbers are phenomenal and they'll definitely try to move him. 

Can anybody explain why Carlos Martinez did not get a save yesterday?  He came into the game when the Cards had a 3 run lead with 1 out in the 9th and nobody on.  He proceeded to give up a single, hit the next batter, and then got an inning ending double play.  He gave up no runs and finished the game with the Cards up 3 runs in the 9th.  Miller pitched the 8th and first batter of the 9th and got a hold.  How come Martinez did not get a save?

Enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, at bat or on deck

Edited by guru_007

2 hours ago, guru_007 said:

Enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, at bat or on deck

That is only one of the things that needs to be in place for a save. 

That rule states the official scorer shall credit a pitcher with a save when such pitcher meets all four of the following conditions:

1. He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his team;
  2. He is not the winning pitcher;
  3. He is credited with at least ⅓ of an inning pitched; and
  4. He satisfies one of the following conditions:
  • He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning
  • He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, at bat or on deck
  • He pitches for at least three innings.

I guess I should have looked it up but I thought I new the rule completely.  I didn't realize the bolded was part of the 3-run aspect.  I guess that is why he didn't get the save. 

• Like 1