What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What to do with story about God sending Trump to save the Jews (1 Viewer)

Sinn Fein

Footballguy
You may have seen the story - but you might not  have seen it with all the other news out there:

EXCLUSIVE Secretary of State Pompeo to CBN News: God May Have Raised Up Trump Like He Raised Up Queen Esther

JERUSALEM - Secretary of State Mike Pompeo tells CBN News it is very possible that President Trump is a modern-day Esther poised to defend Israel and save the Jewish people.  

“Could it be that President Trump right now has been sort of raised for such a time as this, just like Queen Esther, to help save the Jewish people from the Iranian menace?”  Mitchell asked Pompeo. 

“As a Christian, I certainly believe that’s possible,” he replied. “It was remarkable – so we were down in the tunnels where we could see 3,000 years ago, and 2,000 years ago – if I have the history just right – to see the remarkable history of the faith in this place and the work that our administration’s done to make sure that this democracy in the Middle East, that this Jewish state remains.  I am confident that the Lord is at work here.”

What is the appropriate response?

Do you ignore it? 

Do you point out the absurdity of God anointing a xenophobic bully as President of the US as the best way to help Israel?  It seems a plague on Iran or inspiring change from within Iran would be more direct ways - should God be interested in that outcome.

Does God somehow hate the US?  Is that the message we should be taking here?  Is God punishing the US for not loving their neighbors as themselves?

Our Secretary of State.  Our lead diplomat.  The best and the brightest.  Setting an example for the world to follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
 “As a Christian, I certainly believe that’s possible,” he replied. “It was remarkable – so we were down in the tunnels where we could see 3,000 years ago, and 2,000 years ago – if I have the history just right – to see the remarkable history of the faith in this place and the work that our administration’s done to make sure that this democracy in the Middle East, that this Jewish state remains.  I am confident that the Lord is at work here.”

And monkeys might fly out of my butt

Putting all of the religious discussion aside, President Trump’s actions toward Israel, particularly the unequivocal support of Netanyahu’s settlement policies, the moving of the United States embassy to Jerusalem, and the recognition of Golan as a part of Israel, will actually serve to weaken Israel’s security in the long run. I am 100% convinced of this. 

As a Jew and a life long supporter of Israel, I am tremendously distressed by these events. I have spent years arguing against the ren hoaks of the world that Israel is not a villain, not an apartheid state. But we are witnessing the transformation of Israel into another South Africa (or, given the amount of corruption by Netanyahu’s government, another South Vietnam), before our eyes, with our assistance. I don’t know what to do about it. 

Thanks @Sinn Fein   That's another one in the vein of what I was asking yesterday.

In this case, the source doesn't really matter assuming the quote is real. 

Fortunately, this one is a little easier as it doesn't have the sensitivity around it of the subject actually being murdered people. 

For you non-bible folk, the Esther story is beloved by lots of Christians. The basic gist is the age-old story of an unlikely hero defying odds and doing something brave. Even as a queen, she didn't have much power. It's often told in the lines of "God uses unlikely people" for things. Lots of that in the Bible. Mary, mother of Jesus was a young girl with no special social status. And so on.

Plus, everyone loves an underdog hero so Esther is beloved. 

With that said, not everything fits in the narrative you'd like. Trump may have been a political underdog, but he's pretty much the opposite of the poor person with no status that rises up. It feels like a reach.

I think if one wanted to seriously engage in that discussion, I'd ask more questions.

Like:

"Can you help me understand how you think God uses people like this?"

Then more specifically, stuff like, "I have a hangup that it seems like President Trump seems to go against so many of the attributes Jesus taught. Does that bother you?" This could very well end poorly. And like with the other stuff, it demands some skill and work. But it could be something to help.

I don't know fellas, this seems to have actually crossed a new line moving from terrible to possibly catastrophic today.   They actually are going to push this moving forward, this is how it started with everything.  Maybe Trump is the messiah.  Or worse, maybe he's the Antichrist.   I'm not particularly devout but I'm no Atheist either.  Agnostic, I guess.  

I don't know fellas, this seems to have actually crossed a new line moving from terrible to possibly catastrophic today.   They actually are going to push this moving forward, this is how it started with everything.  Maybe Trump is the messiah.  Or worse, maybe he's the Antichrist.   I'm not particularly devout but I'm no Atheist either.  Agnostic, I guess.  
If people pick this up and run with it to any large degree, I'll agree with you.

It just seems too ridiculous on its face to take seriously, even given this guy's history.

Joe Bryant said:
I think if one wanted to seriously engage in that discussion, I'd ask more questions.

Like:

Then more specifically, stuff like, "I have a hangup that it seems like President Trump seems to go against so many of the attributes Jesus taught. Does that bother you?" This could very well end poorly. And like with the other stuff, it demands some skill and work. But it could be something to help.
Consider that God also used the pharaoh for His purposes (Rom. 9:17) ...in effect, turning the flaws of the pharaoh into the greater good of God's people being set free. 

Arguably, those who view President Trump as some sort of Godly instrument have it totally wrong.  Instead, Trump in all of his vileness might represent a challenge to the rest of us - a challenge to turn away from hate, pettiness, and a self-centered existence ...to rediscover the values that our country represents ...to truly 'drain the swamp' and elect leaders who will be agents of positive change and service.  Maybe we should ignore Trump and let him sink, soon enough, into irrelevance (or even disgrace) and instead focus on how we can move beyond this nightmare into a better place.

You laugh at the absurdity.

They have to go to nonsensical make-believe to solidify their standing situation. Poor bastards.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't even know what the Esther story is.
The thing about the Ester story (Purim Holiday for Israel, from sunset Wednesday to sunset Thursday this year) is that it represents God's plan. Not an overt movement that shakes the earth, rather a string of successes over a long period of time. 

The leaders of the US and Israel are using religion in the worst way.

I suppose the Lord using Trump would not be uncommon for Christians who saw the evil Saul on the road to Damascus make an amazing transition to Paul, but there is absolutely no sign that Trump has had any come to Jesus moment!

kevzilla said:
Dear Jewish folks:

We're so sorry. You're hosed.
I mean, haven't the Jews suffered enough?  Sure God killed everyone on the planet at one point, except Noah and his brood, but this is just cruel.

I suppose the Lord using Trump would not be uncommon for Christians who saw the evil Saul on the road to Damascus make an amazing transition to Paul, but there is absolutely no sign that Trump has had any come to Jesus moment!
Maybe his name used to be Grump?

While the president provides distraction, I’m starting to believe the son in law is the ball you want to keep your eye on. I’m not a political scientist or religious scholar, but if a peace deal is struck in the region, things will appear to be heading in a biblical direction.  Stay tuned.

Juxtatarot said:
How does Pompeo answer that question?  Saying it's "possible" is kind of a polite, non-answer.
This is a good point. However Pompeo is kind of messianic. He has a pretty fundamentalist POV religiously, though it may not come out much as SOS.

ren hoek said:

Four people 'have died' in Gaza, the BBC News at 10 past 10 reports. They just can't bring themselves to report the bare, minimal truth: the Israeli army killed four Palestinian protestors, shot them dead.

First off, the BBC article clearly stated that one of the protesters was shot. So, you're already at 25% Fake News, which isn't a good start.

Second, the phrasing of the BBC article indicated that they were just passing along what Palestinian health officials told them.

Do you have evidence that the Palestinian officials confirmed that the other 3 protesters were shot, and that they were shot by the Israeli army, and that they all died from those gunshot wounds?

Thanks @Sinn Fein   That's another one in the vein of what I was asking yesterday.

In this case, the source doesn't really matter assuming the quote is real. 

Fortunately, this one is a little easier as it doesn't have the sensitivity around it of the subject actually being murdered people. 

For you non-bible folk, the Esther story is beloved by lots of Christians. The basic gist is the age-old story of an unlikely hero defying odds and doing something brave. Even as a queen, she didn't have much power. It's often told in the lines of "God uses unlikely people" for things. Lots of that in the Bible. Mary, mother of Jesus was a young girl with no special social status. And so on.

Plus, everyone loves an underdog hero so Esther is beloved. 

With that said, not everything fits in the narrative you'd like. Trump may have been a political underdog, but he's pretty much the opposite of the poor person with no status that rises up. It feels like a reach.

Like:

Big difference is Esther was a great person 

You may have seen the story - but you might not  have seen it with all the other news out there:

EXCLUSIVE Secretary of State Pompeo to CBN News: God May Have Raised Up Trump Like He Raised Up Queen Esther

JERUSALEM - Secretary of State Mike Pompeo tells CBN News it is very possible that President Trump is a modern-day Esther poised to defend Israel and save the Jewish people.  

“Could it be that President Trump right now has been sort of raised for such a time as this, just like Queen Esther, to help save the Jewish people from the Iranian menace?”  Mitchell asked Pompeo. 

Do you ignore it? 

Do you point out the absurdity of God anointing a xenophobic bully as President of the US as the best way to help Israel?  It seems a plague on Iran or inspiring change from within Iran would be more direct ways - should God be interested in that outcome.

Does God somehow hate the US?  Is that the message we should be taking here?  Is God punishing the US for not loving their neighbors as themselves?
God isnt on your side.....regardless he's not on your side.

Users who are viewing this thread