What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Pete Buttigieg Thread *** (4 Viewers)

I have a little video chat I started for some friends where we talk politics and I made one rule. Disagreements are fine, disrespect is not. The discussion is policy based not gotcha based. It's been going really well.
Sounds like a good healing venue that most of this country could use.

Now, back to our feature ... When last we left Mayor Pete had not put out the fire in Notre Dame, but neither had he advocated air dropping prohibitive weights of water and chemicals on it.  He had just spoken fluent French, but had not outlined a comprehensive campaign platform with white papers on every subject that might occur in public debate between then and then.  There was some question, by the humor impaired, as to whether he can speak binary.  And some wanted to know what the nation would call the first husband.  Lets rejoin our show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, back to our feature ... When last we left Mayor Pete had not put out the fire in Notre Dame, but neither had he advocated air dropping prohibitive weights of water and chemicals on it.  He had just spoken fluent French, but had not outlined a comprehensive campaign platform with white papers on every subject that might occur in public debate between then and then.  There was some question, by the humor impaired, as to whether he can speak binary.  And some wanted to know what the nation would call the first husband.  Lets rejoin our show.
I have a strong opinion on this.

Sounds like a good healing venue that most of this country could use.
What makes me most happy about it is people actually getting to express their ideas and not get called names. Have had more than one participant say they would have been called this or that for an opinion they just gave and were glad to have a place to discuss it without that. Doesn't mean we all agree with each other but we remember we're friends first.

If you didn’t know the Republicans are afraid of Mayor Pete, you do now.  Republican operatives have been trying to recruit gay republican men to falsely claim Pete Buttigieg assaulted them.  An article was written on Medium in one’s name and he denies he wrote it and denies that it happened.  Another recorded the conversation where he was asked to lie.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/far-right-smear-merchants-jacob-wohl-and-jack-burkman-try-to-slime-pete-buttigieg-with-bogus-sex-assault-claim

Oh look, it's our old friends Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman. Haven't seen those guys since they faked an assault claim against Robert Mueller.

If you didn’t know the Republicans are afraid of Mayor Pete, you do now.  Republican operatives have been trying to recruit gay republican men to falsely claim Pete Buttigieg assaulted them.  An article was written on Medium in one’s name and he denies he wrote it and denies that it happened.  Another recorded the conversation where he was asked to lie.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/far-right-smear-merchants-jacob-wohl-and-jack-burkman-try-to-slime-pete-buttigieg-with-bogus-sex-assault-claim
Omg. Lol. This is soooo the 2019 GOP

BTW, one way to get me to consider abandoning my long standing practice of voting third party is to commit  crude character assassination on a decent fellow, and to do it so poorly.   I tend to viscerally react exactly the opposite of how such folks are trying to herd me.  I don't like the innocent to suffer and I don't like my intelligence insulted and I do like to discommode those who do the first two.

BTW, one way to get me to consider abandoning my long standing practice of voting third party is to commit  crude character assassination on a decent fellow, and to do it so poorly.   I tend to viscerally react exactly the opposite of how such folks are trying to herd me.  I don't like the innocent to suffer and I don't like my intelligence insulted and I do like to discommode those who do the first two.
I sent in a resume to his campaign.  We’ll see what they need in Louisiana. 

How are they (Wohl and Burkman) not in jail?

After reading and listening some about Buttigieg meeting with Sharpton I think Pete has a problem here with getting African Americans vote.  Last poll I saw he has only 2% - Tim has pointed out repeatedly that Sanders can't get the black vote - well right now Pete isn't even close to Bernie.  It's still early but I think there may be some truth to the idea that black voters will not vote for a gay man. 

I am going to go with Black voters are not a monolithic voting block.  Recent events, or should I say recent candidates or administrations or tweets from Presidents might encourage them towards historical identity politics, but I don't believe it to be so.  Blacks are diverse in their backgrounds, increasingly so, and in spite of efforts to keep them monolithic they are breaking out.  A candidate presuming their vote might be in for a surprise.  A party, less so, but a candidate, I think this is increasingly true.  

I am going to go with Black voters are not a monolithic voting block.  Recent events, or should I say recent candidates or administrations or tweets from Presidents might encourage them towards historical identity politics, but I don't believe it to be so.  Blacks are diverse in their backgrounds, increasingly so, and in spite of efforts to keep them monolithic they are breaking out.  A candidate presuming their vote might be in for a surprise.  A party, less so, but a candidate, I think this is increasingly true.  
I'm assuming since I brought this up you are (kind of) responding to me.  I don't think it's a stretch to think that African Americans will vote for Harris in higher numbers than other races and will not vote for Buttigieg in lower numbers.  Doesn't mean they are a monolithic voting block.

I'm assuming since I brought this up you are (kind of) responding to me.  I don't think it's a stretch to think that African Americans will vote for Harris in higher numbers than other races and will not vote for Buttigieg in lower numbers.  Doesn't mean they are a monolithic voting block.
I find you a keen observer of events.  You are probably correct.  You seem more connected to the mindset of today than am I.  I do wonder if you included an extra "not" in your prediction as to Buttigieg.  That is how I am taking it for now, a slip of the fingers on the keyboard, your mind thinking one thing while your fingers typed something else. 

First let me say that despite not being a fan this is horrendous.  How these guys are not in jail already is a mystery to me. I hope they find themselves there soon. With that said I think this is more a segment of the party than the whole thing. I dont think the GOP thinks a gay man can win if we look at the main part of the party. I dont think he really scares the main people at all. Whether he should or not. And I think, though few will express it, there is a portion of the Democratic party that thinks the same. They are the same group that thought a black man couldn't win. Still thinks a woman can't. And  certainly don't think a gay man can.

Targeting Buttigieg isn’t about fearing him, it’s about smearing the party and suppressing the vote on values issues. Big League Politics is involved in the PB plot and they were involved in the Virginia shenanigans. And you can see it in the VA threads, because it’s about negating claims about racism swirling around Trump.

First let me say that despite not being a fan this is horrendous.  How these guys are not in jail already is a mystery to me. I hope they find themselves there soon. With that said I think this is more a segment of the party than the whole thing. I dont think the GOP thinks a gay man can win if we look at the main part of the party. I dont think he really scares the main people at all. Whether he should or not. And I think, though few will express it, there is a portion of the Democratic party that thinks the same. They are the same group that thought a black man couldn't win. Still thinks a woman can't. And  certainly don't think a gay man can.
@GOP has tweeted about him seven times since March 10 (1 was a tweet about the frontrunners, including multiple names)

Harris: 11 times (5 were tweets about the frontrunners, including multiple names)

Bernie: 14 (6 were tweets about multiple democrats, either "frontrunners" or legislation-based)

Biden: 4 (all within the last week)

I think the party is at least paying attention.  And knows it has an LGBTQ+ problem.

Targeting Buttigieg isn’t about fearing him, it’s about smearing the party and suppressing the vote on values issues. Big League Politics is involved in the PB plot and they were involved in the Virginia shenanigans. And you can see it in the VA threads, because it’s about negating claims about racism swirling around Trump.
I think the GOP knows if they lose the Midwest they lose the Presidency.  Which also nearly doubles the chance of the Democrats controlling the Senate. 

Sad.  How is this even legal? 

I think the GOP knows if they lose the Midwest they lose the Presidency.  Which also nearly doubles the chance of the Democrats controlling the Senate. 
I actually think that Buttigieg's integrity is a big advantage and the message about Christianity is a pretty sharp one and that theme is a really interesting riposte to the bs they were planning to throw up around him and the campaign. Portraying him as a fraud and as an assaulter is indicative of the specific problems he poses.

Last edited by a moderator:
@GOP has tweeted about him seven times since March 10 (1 was a tweet about the frontrunners, including multiple names)

Harris: 11 times (5 were tweets about the frontrunners, including multiple names)

Bernie: 14 (6 were tweets about multiple democrats, either "frontrunners" or legislation-based)

Biden: 4 (all within the last week)

I think the party is at least paying attention.  And knows it has an LGBTQ+ problem.
Dont get me wrong I think they know they got a lot of problems and don't have any of the people polling decently on ignore. But I think they would much rather face someone like Pete who will get their base out in force.

Dont get me wrong I think they know they got a lot of problems and don't have any of the people polling decently on ignore. But I think they would much rather face someone like Pete who will get their base out in force.
As much as I agree that the Trump base will jump on that, I don't believe the center-right of the Republican base will be swayed by that at all.  Quite the opposite.  Guess we'll see.  

I actually think that Buttigieg's integrity is a big advantage and the message about Christianity is a pretty sharp one and that theme is a really interesting riposte to the bs they were planning to throw up around him and the campaign. Portraying him as a fraud and as an assaulter is indicative of the specific problems he poses.
I was talking with my wife last night, and I think this incident solidifies him as a strong VP frontrunner for any female candidate if/when he loses the nomination.  He's suddenly a human shield for the Presidential nominee who can indignantly talk about the Republican fraud machine trying to frame Democrats.

As much as I agree that the Trump base will jump on that, I don't believe the center-right of the Republican base will be swayed by that at all.  Quite the opposite.  Guess we'll see.  
Unless Trump's 89% approval rating with Republicans of all stripes  and almost 40% with independents changes I think there is very little difference between those 2 groups ar the end of the day.  

Ditkaless Wonders said:
I find you a keen observer of events.  You are probably correct.  You seem more connected to the mindset of today than am I.  I do wonder if you included an extra "not" in your prediction as to Buttigieg.  That is how I am taking it for now, a slip of the fingers on the keyboard, your mind thinking one thing while your fingers typed something else. 
Yep, my mistake.  I should proofread my posts more often.

Henry Ford said:

Joe Summer said:
Oh look, it's our old friends Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman. Haven't seen those guys since they faked an assault claim against Robert Mueller.
Has Wohl ever done anything that has ever worked out?  

Quick perusal. About what I would expect.  Pretty vanilla. At this point I think all the major candidates but Joe has released.  Of course he just entered and I think, could be wrong, but we already have a lot of his  returns from when he was VP. 

AAABatteries said:
  It's still early but I think there may be some truth to the idea that black voters will not vote for a gay man. 
I think it’s too early to make this call. Most blacks still don’t know who Buttigieg is, much less that he’s gay. 

Users who are viewing this thread