Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sinn Fein

*** Official Pete Buttigieg Thread ***

Recommended Posts

Not really a fan but I have to give him points for his response to Trump calling him Aldred E Nuemann. "I had to goggle it". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NCCommish said:

Not really a fan but I have to give him points for his response to Trump calling him Aldred E Nuemann. "I had to goggle it". 

I thought it was great. :lol: 

Basically calling him an old man without offending old people.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NCCommish said:

Not really a fan but I have to give him points for his response to Trump calling him Aldred E Nuemann. "I had to goggle it". 

It was a good line.  He’s really good at the personality fluff, can’t take that away from him.  

But it’s weird that he would make it a generational thing.  I’m younger than Pete and I know MAD magazine.  Most of us probably remember the late night show on Fox.  I did the little foldout puzzles on the back.  

To me it’s like saying he had to google what was cool about the 90’s.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

It was a good line.  He’s really good at the personality fluff, can’t take that away from him.  

But it’s weird that he would make it a generational thing.  I’m younger than Pete and I know MAD magazine.  Most of us probably remember the late night show on Fox.  I did the little foldout puzzles on the back.  

To me it’s like saying he had to google what was cool about the 90’s.  

As i said in one of my initial post on da Bootyjudge,  i'm sure he wouldn't enter the fray without an entire flow chart on countering Trumpshtick. Gay nerds know how to deal w bullies. Don't oppose, make them appear insubstantial. "Why would that even bother me?" is a beaut. He's saving "What, me worry?!" for later.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

It was a good line.  He’s really good at the personality fluff, can’t take that away from him.  

But it’s weird that he would make it a generational thing.  I’m younger than Pete and I know MAD magazine.  Most of us probably remember the late night show on Fox.  I did the little foldout puzzles on the back.  

To me it’s like saying he had to google what was cool about the 90’s.  

I know people Pete’s age who do know MAD and I know those who don’t. 

I didn’t even realize it was still being published. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

Also, MAD magazine was cool in the 90s?

Not that I know of. Mid 30's here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Joe Summer said:

 


If you were 13, maybe.

I don’t even think then.  My half sister is that generation, and I’m pretty sure she would have no idea at all who Alfred E. Newman is. And she was the ultra-popular “it” girl in middle/high school. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we really want to analyze it the likelyhood is he knows who that is. Didn't he go to Harvard? Several Mad writers and the publisher were alum. But that isn't the point really. The shot worked.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

I know people Pete’s age who do know MAD and I know those who don’t. 

I didn’t even realize it was still being published. 

Well I guess it’s been around for a long time.  Apparently they’re bringing it back.  I didn’t know it had been discontinued.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

Also, MAD magazine was cool in the 90s?

Yeah - I would have put its "cool" factor in the late 70's maybe early 80's

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was cool to me anyway.  JNCOS were overwhelmingly popular at one point in the 90’s but I never thought they were cool.  

I just asked my dude at work in his 50’s if he knew who Alfred E Neumann was.  He said no, but he knew what MAD magazine was and said he always liked the black and white dudes (Spy vs. Spy).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

It was cool to me anyway.  JNCOS were overwhelmingly popular at one point in the 90’s but I never thought they were cool.  

I just asked my dude at work in his 50’s if he knew who Alfred E Neumann was.  He said no, but he knew what MAD magazine was and said he always liked the black and white dudes (Spy vs. Spy).  

Well your dad and I have something in common spy versus spy was always one of my favorite bits

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NCCommish said:

Not really a fan but I have to give him points for his response to Trump calling him Aldred E Nuemann. "I had to goggle it". 

I would have to google that too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, thought it was kind of odd.

And not sure how whether it's still published or not matters. Alfred E Nueman is a well recognized cartoon image. I'd say it's highly recognizable with people over 40. I'd be shocked if Buttigieg didn't know exactly who it was. As far as comebacks go, It was ok. The way better line was "focusing on salvaging the China deal". But that's now how the public works. They'd rather focus on a name calling. :doh: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

The way better line was "focusing on salvaging the China deal

Nobody believes Trump capable of that

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Joe Bryant said:

Yeah, thought it was kind of odd.

And not sure how whether it's still published or not matters. Alfred E Nueman is a well recognized cartoon image. I'd say it's highly recognizable with people over 40. I'd be shocked if Buttigieg didn't know exactly who it was. As far as comebacks go, It was ok. The way better line was "focusing on salvaging the China deal". But that's now how the public works. They'd rather focus on a name calling. :doh: 

Well we could focus on Pete's policies, oh yeah no we can't. 

It was a nice comeback that actually didn't involve any name calling which I thought was well done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Trump doesn’t want to talk about China. The problem is the press projecting this stuff. It’s literally not a reportable, journalistic fact. I’ll defend professional journalism as much as anyone but Trump corrodes the discourse with the press’s help this way. Every second spent on this stuff takes away from serious discussions. Trump couldn’t be happier about press and public debating whether Buttigieg does or does not know who or what Nueman or Mad are.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who believes that there is an issue upon which da Bootyjudge does not have a comprehensive position?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was a huge Mad Magazine fan. I'm almost 45 and I would guess that I was on the younger side. Was more a fact that my older brother was into it. Wouldn't surprise me that most folks under the age of 40 do not know of it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, the moops said:

I was a huge Mad Magazine fan. I'm almost 45 and I would guess that I was on the younger side. Was more a fact that my older brother was into it. Wouldn't surprise me that most folks under the age of 40 do not know of it

Yeah, I'm 49 and grew up with Mad Magazine, but only because my dad had kept multiple large stacks of those magazines from the 1960s. They didn't exactly cover timely issues for me in the late 70s and early 80s, but they were still awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Yeah, I'm 49 and grew up with Mad Magazine, but only because my dad had kept multiple large stacks of those magazines from the 1960s. They didn't exactly cover timely issues for me in the late 70s and early 80s, but they were still awesome.

"The lighter side of hippies."  They don't care whose toes they step on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Yeah, I'm 49 and grew up with Mad Magazine, but only because my dad had kept multiple large stacks of those magazines from the 1960s. They didn't exactly cover timely issues for me in the late 70s and early 80s, but they were still awesome.

Your dad was keeping stacks of the wrong magazine...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to play poker with anybody who thinks Mayor Pete didn't know who Alfred E Newman was.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

I want to play poker with anybody who thinks Mayor Pete didn't know who Alfred E Newman was.

He was too busy learning other languages and helping old ladies cross the street.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Latest South Carolina poll- Pete is doing OK among white voters, but they represent only 35% of Democrats in the state. Among black voters who have 65%? Zero. Zero support. 

He’s doomed unless he can find a way to change this number. Maybe in the debates. Maybe if he pulls off the upset in Iowa. But right now he’s got no shot at being the nominee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, timschochet said:

Latest South Carolina poll- Pete is doing OK among white voters, but they represent only 35% of Democrats in the state. Among black voters who have 65%? Zero. Zero support. 

He’s doomed unless he can find a way to change this number. Maybe in the debates. Maybe if he pulls off the upset in Iowa. But right now he’s got no shot at being the nominee. 

You might be talking about the Post-Courier poll from last week?

Buttigieg is second among SC whites (18%). He's below 1% among blacks.

eta - overall this poll was:

• Biden at 46 percent • Sanders at 15 percent • Harris at 10 percent • Warren at 8 percent • Buttigieg at 8 percent

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Whether it's Buttigieg or really anyone outside of Biden and Sanders, the challengers have to catch fire in NH and Iowa and then launch themselves into the next round like SC, NV and the rest before Super Tuesday. But losing SC or even doing badly there is not a killer, it's just one state, but some other state has to be a next step. Anyone can do that, this was the path Sanders himself faced in 16. Being at 0-1% is not even a barrier, but they do have to generate serious momentum after IA & NH. 

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2019 at 1:43 PM, timschochet said:

Latest South Carolina poll- Pete is doing OK among white voters, but they represent only 35% of Democrats in the state. Among black voters who have 65%? Zero. Zero support. 

He’s doomed unless he can find a way to change this number. Maybe in the debates. Maybe if he pulls off the upset in Iowa. But right now he’s got no shot at being the nominee. 

This doesn't really surprise me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn’t see Pete but the highlights are great. 

I continue to really like this guy. How can he beat out Biden? Hard to see unless he can make inroads with black supporters. But there’s lots of time I guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, timschochet said:

Didn’t see Pete but the highlights are great. 

I continue to really like this guy. How can he beat out Biden? Hard to see unless he can make inroads with black supporters. But there’s lots of time I guess. 

He still needs the support of older white voters...

 

he also really needs to be on the same stage as Biden - make the case for generational change is easier when you have the two standing together.  That is why the "random" distribution for the first debates in June and July will be interesting to see.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, timschochet said:

Didn’t see Pete but the highlights are great. 

I continue to really like this guy. How can he beat out Biden? Hard to see unless he can make inroads with black supporters. But there’s lots of time I guess. 

I was watching watching a PBS concert of Rhiannon Giddens (of the Carolina Chocolatedrops and one the world's most beautiful women) last nite and the entire audience was middle-aged white people who looked like they'd just come from a wine-tasting. I wondered how weird it must be for Ms Giddens, up there exploring the roots music of enslaved people for the enjoyment of these glowing boojies. Got a feeling the toughest part for displaced classes getting on to the Bootyjudge train is gonna be the other passengers...

Edited by wikkidpissah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 1:43 PM, timschochet said:

Latest South Carolina poll- Pete is doing OK among white voters, but they represent only 35% of Democrats in the state. Among black voters who have 65%? Zero. Zero support. 

He’s doomed unless he can find a way to change this number. Maybe in the debates. Maybe if he pulls off the upset in Iowa. But right now he’s got no shot at being the nominee. 

'I want to wipe Thomas Jefferson off the history books.'  …….'how's my black support now? Dammit. That failed miserably.'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lod001 said:

'I want to wipe Thomas Jefferson off the history books.'  …….'how's my black support now? Dammit. That failed miserably.'

No idea what you’re referencing here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lod001 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/2020-democrat-pete-buttigieg-says-100250771.html

Low #s in the black community, go after a president that had slaves. See if you can get some votes. Dude is a moron.

Yeah I just read about it now. Appears to be a non story. 

Your main problem with Buttigieg is that he is the OPPOSITE of a moron. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lod001 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/2020-democrat-pete-buttigieg-says-100250771.html

Low #s in the black community, go after a president that had slaves. See if you can get some votes. Dude is a moron.

Wow, talk about completely misrepresenting what he said.  Unbelievable how Fox News twisted his quote into "erasing Jefferson from our history".  LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hey, he said it. You can try and twist it anyway you want to but he clearly said it.

Hewitt: Let’s go to policy now. A very blunt question, because you talk about going to every Jefferson-Jackson dinner in Indiana when you were running statewide. Should Jefferson-Jackson dinners be renamed everywhere because both were holders of slaves?

Buttigieg: Yeah, we’re doing that in Indiana. I think it’s the right thing to do.

You let these people do this and they have proven they wont stop there. Next will be the Jefferson memorial, they will want to tear down Monticello, etc. You guys heroes are all just crazy and it's costing you votes. Simply the fact that Trump won should have told ya that.

Edited by lod001

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lod001 said:

Hey, he said it. You can try and twist it anyway you want to but he clearly said it.

Hewitt: Let’s go to policy now. A very blunt question, because you talk about going to every Jefferson-Jackson dinner in Indiana when you were running statewide. Should Jefferson-Jackson dinners be renamed everywhere because both were holders of slaves?

Buttigieg: Yeah, we’re doing that in Indiana. I think it’s the right thing to do.

You let these people do this and they have proven they wont stop there. Next will be the Jefferson monument, they will want to tear down Monticello, etc. You guys heroes are all just crazy and it's costing you votes. Simply the fact that Trump won should have told ya that.

First, did you actually watch the clip?  Second, even from your transcript - yeah, renaming democratic dinners is totally the same as "erasing Jefferson from history".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Amused to Death said:

First, did you actually watch the clip?  Second, even from your transcript - yeah, renaming democratic dinners is totally the same as "erasing Jefferson from history".

I don't need to watch it. You give them an inch and they will work on taking a mile. These type of people need to be stopped and stopped ASAP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lod001 said:

I don't need to watch it. You give them an inch and they will work on taking a mile. These type of people need to be stopped and stopped ASAP.

OK, so you won't view it in context.  Renaming democratic dinners is NOT "erasing Jefferson from history".  That's a complete twisting of his actual quote (that you don't want to be bothered to hear).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Amused to Death said:
18 minutes ago, lod001 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/2020-democrat-pete-buttigieg-says-100250771.html

Low #s in the black community, go after a president that had slaves. See if you can get some votes. Dude is a moron.

Wow, talk about completely misrepresenting what he said.  Unbelievable how Fox News twisted his quote into "erasing Jefferson from our history".  LOL.

Hey, if it fools just one guy, it was all worth it...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course the irony here is that the same people who trot out "Democrats approved of slavery!" memes, are also the same people saying "Democrats are wrong to distance themselves from slaveowners!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.