What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Pete Buttigieg Thread *** (2 Viewers)

Well, the country was ready for a man with multiple divorces, high-profile affairs, and lewd talk about women.  If given the choice, I expect many would go with the intelligent man who is in a loving relationship.  And consider that Chicago just overwhelmingly elected an African-American gay woman.
Chicago is pretty liberal compared to much of the rest of America’s heartland 

Last edited by a moderator:
Latest Mayor Pete quote I've seen:

“I don’t have a problem standing up to someone who was working on season seven of Celebrity Apprentice, while I was packing my bags for Afghanistan.” 
Video with that and more is here from his Costa interview. I noticed in this, and especially the video you posted above, how much he seems to be channeling Obama. I don't know if he's just watched him a lot, but the posture, demeanor,  pauses seem very familiar.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2019/05/23/pete_buttigieg_ill_use_crazy_uncle_management_skills_on_trump_he_thinks_what_he_thinks.html

Video with that and more is here from his Costa interview. I noticed in this, and especially the video you posted above, how much he seems to be channeling Obama. I don't know if he's just watched him a lot, but the posture, demeanor,  pauses seem very familiar.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2019/05/23/pete_buttigieg_ill_use_crazy_uncle_management_skills_on_trump_he_thinks_what_he_thinks.html
I love this whole exchange:

ROBERT COSTA: Do you think he should have served in Vietnam?

PETE BUTTIGIEG: I have a pretty dim view of his decision to use his privileged status to fake a disability in order to avoid serving in Vietnam.

ROBERT COSTA: You believe he faked a disability?

PETE BUTTIGIEG: Do you believe he has a disability? Yeah, at least not that one. 

This is actually really important because I don't mean to trivialize disability. But I think that is exactly what he did. 

When you think about the way someone can exploit the system, and needless to say, the way he has mocked disabled people is just one more example of his many affronts to basic decency. But manipulating the ability to get a diagnosis. If he were a conscientious objector, I'd admire that. But this is somebody who, I think it’s fairly obvious to most of us, took advantage of the fact that he was the child of a multimillionaire in order to pretend to be disabled so that someone could go to war in his place.

And I know that that dredges up old wounds from a complicated time, but I'm also old enough to remember a time when conservatives cared about character, and how it mattered in the presidency, so I think it deserves to be talked about.

I love this whole exchange:

ROBERT COSTA: Do you think he should have served in Vietnam?

PETE BUTTIGIEG: I have a pretty dim view of his decision to use his privileged status to fake a disability in order to avoid serving in Vietnam.

ROBERT COSTA: You believe he faked a disability?

PETE BUTTIGIEG: Do you believe he has a disability? Yeah, at least not that one. 

This is actually really important because I don't mean to trivialize disability. But I think that is exactly what he did. 

When you think about the way someone can exploit the system, and needless to say, the way he has mocked disabled people is just one more example of his many affronts to basic decency. But manipulating the ability to get a diagnosis. If he were a conscientious objector, I'd admire that. But this is somebody who, I think it’s fairly obvious to most of us, took advantage of the fact that he was the child of a multimillionaire in order to pretend to be disabled so that someone could go to war in his place.

And I know that that dredges up old wounds from a complicated time, but I'm also old enough to remember a time when conservatives cared about character, and how it mattered in the presidency, so I think it deserves to be talked about.
If he'd been a senator, governor, or even a member of the house and were four years older, I think he'd be the next President.

If he'd been a senator, governor, or even a member of the house and were four years older, I think he'd be the next President.
I'm really curious to see him in the debates but I have the same feeling. The youth and inexperience above Mayor is going to be hard to look past. Obviously a bright political future and maybe just warming up for a stronger presidential run in the future.

I don't.

And I wish I was wrong about this because as of now he is my favorite candidate, the person I would most prefer to be our next President.

But...I just don't believe that southern, older church going African-Americans will accept his sexual orientation. That's the bottom line. Again I hope I'm wrong.

His delivery is fantastic. It's just like when he called Trump's tweets grotesque. He just slips these things in so matter-of-factly that they come off more as objective descriptors than insults.
Yeah, it’s what you have to do with Trump. Never play gotcha.  You don’t have to get him.  Just occasionally mention you know like everyone else does that he’s a garbage person. 

I don't.

And I wish I was wrong about this because as of now he is my favorite candidate, the person I would most prefer to be our next President.

But...I just don't believe that southern, older church going African-Americans will accept his sexual orientation. That's the bottom line. Again I hope I'm wrong.
You are not wrong. Kiss of death politically not only among AAs but also among most white GOP and independent voters in Rust Belt states. I like Mayor Pete but he can't win in 2020, maybe 2028 or 2032, but not 2020.

Doesn’t play well with Pence , plays even worse with him. Just saying. I think it’s big misstep and now he’s going the way of Beto
There is a chasm of difference between how he talks about his faith (especially when asked) and what Pence has said and done .

You are not wrong. Kiss of death politically not only among AAs but also among most white GOP and independent voters in Rust Belt states. I like Mayor Pete but he can't win in 2020, maybe 2028 or 2032, but not 2020.
Being homosexual is the kiss of death among independent voters in Rust Belt states? No way.  

Although Pete will struggle getting support in the primary with the older, church-going AA folks, they would vote for him in the general. 

Being homosexual is the kiss of death among independent voters in Rust Belt states? No way.  

Although Pete will struggle getting support in the primary with the older, church-going AA folks, they would vote for him in the general. 
Sure. Right. Let's see how it plays out in real time.

Evangelicals, conservatives, Republicans, and others among those on the right who are anti-LGBT rights.
1. I don’t think it’s fair to put all conservatives and Republicans in that category (not sure you’re doing that.) 

2. I don’t think it’s fair to put HellToupee in that category. He makes  a lot of outrageous comments (mostly shtick) but I can’t recall anything homophobic. 

They don’t need to vote for him in the general. 

To win the general as a Democrat, you need to get blacks to come vote for you in the swing states, especially Michigan and Pennsylvania. To win the nomination as a Democrat, you need older blacks to vote for you in the South. These are two different groups. The older blacks in the south are far more socially conservative than the ones in the north- but the southern ones make no difference whatsoever in the general. Their impact is in primary season only. 

1. I don’t think it’s fair to put all conservatives and Republicans in that category (not sure you’re doing that.) 

2. I don’t think it’s fair to put HellToupee in that category. He makes  a lot of outrageous comments (mostly shtick) but I can’t recall anything homophobic. 
I didn't say ALL conservatives and Republicans, just those who are anti-LGBT rights, particularly those who have an issue with transgender people.

I didn't say ALL conservatives and Republicans, just those who are anti-LGBT rights, particularly those who have an issue with transgender people.
No problem, it was confusing the way you worded it. 

But you DID basically accuse HT of homophobia by responding directly to his post. That seems unfair. 

No problem, it was confusing the way you worded it. 

But you DID basically accuse HT of homophobia by responding directly to his post. That seems unfair. 
I didn't respond directly to his post. I was responding to Henry Ford's comment questioning why Mayor Pete should not be able to talk about his faith according to certain groups of people, not to anyone specifically. Perhaps I should have been more specific as in retrospect my post was ambiguous.

Mayor Pete's biggest issue isn't going to be that he's gay it's that he seems interested in acting like Trump going zinger for zinger with him.  That will eventually be the biggest turn off to giving him a chance, IMO. 

Mayor Pete's biggest issue isn't going to be that he's gay it's that he seems interested in acting like Trump going zinger for zinger with him.  That will eventually be the biggest turn off to giving him a chance, IMO. 
You’re from Georgia, right? The Georgia Democratic primary is heavily dependent on black voting. Be honest: are they (Georgia blacks) going to vote for a gay man? 

You’re from Georgia, right? The Georgia Democratic primary is heavily dependent on black voting. Be honest: are they (Georgia blacks) going to vote for a gay man? 
Why would black men be opposed to voting for him any more or less than any white , Asian or Hispanic male? Be honest

Ramblin Wreck said:

Mayor Pete's biggest issue isn't going to be that he's gay it's that he seems interested in acting like Trump going zinger for zinger with him. That will eventually be the biggest turn off to giving him a chance, IMO.

"It is the nature of grotesque things that you can't look away." = not a zinger.

"I have a pretty dim view of his decision to use his privileged status to fake a disability in order to avoid serving in Vietnam." = not a zinger

"Yeah, at least not that one." = okay, that's a zinger.

He's not going "zinger for zinger" with Trump. Although I suppose it might seem that way if you get your news from a source that downplays Trump's zingers but amplifies anything negative uttered by a Democrat.

"It is the nature of grotesque things that you can't look away." = not a zinger.

"I have a pretty dim view of his decision to use his privileged status to fake a disability in order to avoid serving in Vietnam." = not a zinger

"Yeah, at least not that one." = okay, that's a zinger.

He's not going "zinger for zinger" with Trump. Although I suppose it might seem that way if you get your news from a source that downplays Trump's zingers but amplifies anything negative uttered by a Democrat.
Yeah, it's just not apples to apples comparing "zingers" here. 

Trump's "zingers" come from the same mindset of a 7 year old bully on the playground. Pete's from the mindset of a Rhodes scholar talking about a 7 year old playground bully. 

Either way, Pete's approach to Trump seems to be on point. He doesn't seem obsessed with Trump, but as an opponent, of course, Trump must be dealt with, and I think Pete seems to be striking the right balance.

They don’t need to vote for him in the general. 

To win the general as a Democrat, you need to get blacks to come vote for you in the swing states, especially Michigan and Pennsylvania. To win the nomination as a Democrat, you need older blacks to vote for you in the South. These are two different groups. The older blacks in the south are far more socially conservative than the ones in the north- but the southern ones make no difference whatsoever in the general. Their impact is in primary season only. 
Should be a great test for Pete. 

I think he can win both. One feeling I just can't shake with him is that when people see/hear him, they're just going to like it. The more he's in front of voters, and beside his opponents, the more people are going to want him making decisions for their country. Sure, there are just some people that will not vote for a gay man in 2020, but I think Pete is exceptional and talented enough to over come this. One thing he has in common with our last two Presidents is that when I first heard about them running for President, my first thought was "there's no way Americans will elect them to be President" (and they both had to beat the person that, on paper, was just supposed to waltz into the White House).

Of all the candidates, imo, he benefits the most from more eyeballs and exposure. 

When the time comes, and I think it is, that he's on a stage with him and Biden in the center, I don't think Biden will come off looking so great.

. To win the nomination as a Democrat, you need older blacks to vote for you in the South. These are two different groups. The older blacks in the south are far more socially conservative than the ones in the north- but the southern ones make no difference whatsoever in the general. Their impact is in primary season only. 
I wonder if this might be overstated.  Older southern black voters represent what  percent of Democratic pledged delegates? Got to be small. And those votes will be split by some combo of Biden, Harris, Booker or possibly others. To me there seems to be a road to victory for Pete without doing great in the south. Iowa and New Hampshire will be a critical start for Pete. 

I wonder if this might be overstated.  Older southern black voters represent what  percent of Democratic pledged delegates? Got to be small. And those votes will be split by some combo of Biden, Harris, Booker or possibly others. To me there seems to be a road to victory for Pete without doing great in the south. Iowa and New Hampshire will be a critical start for Pete. 
I hope you’re right. 

Yeah, it's just not apples to apples comparing "zingers" here. 

Trump's "zingers" come from the same mindset of a 7 year old bully on the playground. Pete's from the mindset of a Rhodes scholar talking about a 7 year old playground bully. 

Either way, Pete's approach to Trump seems to be on point. He doesn't seem obsessed with Trump, but as an opponent, of course, Trump must be dealt with, and I think Pete seems to be striking the right balance.
If he can deal with Trump on his policies then no thanks.  I don't know why some of these guys make it so difficult.

If he can deal with Trump on his policies then no thanks.  I don't know why some of these guys make it so difficult.
I assume you mean "can't" deal.  Why don't you think he can?  I know you know these "zingers" make up a tiny percentage of the things Pete talks about.

I assume you mean "can't" deal.  Why don't you think he can?  I know you know these "zingers" make up a tiny percentage of the things Pete talks about.
And it seems to only be when asked directly about something.  I don’t think I’ve seen him bring you Trump in his own at all.

I live in GA - in the primary I expect they would not vote for him and have said so previously.  I think it will go Biden, Harris, Bernie for AA voters and Biden, Bernie, Harris for all D’s.  

And I agree with whoever above said that AA would vote for him in the general.  I just don’t see him getting there unfortunately.

Juxtatarot said:
Yeah i'm pretty sure there is no way for Pete to match wits with Trump! :lmao:

Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
Zinger is probably an understatement. Costa probably should have stopped the interview there until he played the Emma Stone “Oooh, burn!” reaction gif. 

Might support Mayor Pete as Quipmaster General in the Warren Administration. 
He’s definitely putting together a great VP audition.  

Juxtatarot said:
timschochet said:
. To win the nomination as a Democrat, you need older blacks to vote for you in the South. These are two different groups. The older blacks in the south are far more socially conservative than the ones in the north- but the southern ones make no difference whatsoever in the general. Their impact is in primary season only. 
Historically it hasn't been the percentage of delegates they represent but the timing of the primaries.   You have the Iowa and New Hampshire's taking out everyone that needs "wins" to get donors.  Then Nevada , South Carolina, and all of these southern states.   Generally speaking these have historically set up one candidate for the win and maybe one other with a slim chance.

2020 is going to be a bit different though with California and Texas moving up and possibly even New York on that same first Tuesday of March as the southern primaries.  Does this create a new reality for the primaries or is this year no different than any other one?   We will have to wait and see.

Users who are viewing this thread