What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Pete Buttigieg Thread *** (2 Viewers)

It might not be practical. But in theory, I think the Dems ought to consider assigning the number of delegates per state not based on population, but based instead on population multiplied by swinginess. So depending on the exact weights, California wouldn't necessarily get more delegates than Pennsylvania because PA’s advantage in swinginess is greater than CA’s advantage in population.

That would exacerbate the stupid effects of the electoral college, but in return it should help the party’s chances in the general.

How's the enthusiasm for Pete faring around here?  Dropped to second page, but debates are coming up and he's showing fairly well in national polls as a recently unknown against other names who most folks are familiar with.

Still pulling for him far in advance of any other candidates myself.

How's the enthusiasm for Pete faring around here?  Dropped to second page, but debates are coming up and he's showing fairly well in national polls as a recently unknown against other names who most folks are familiar with.

Still pulling for him far in advance of any other candidates myself.
Page status ≠ enthusiasm.

I think people are just waiting for something new to develop. All the candidates have made their opening pitches. Now it's time to see their game.

Yeah - I think he is in a coasting stage right now - with the next big national opportunity coming in the June and July debates.

I think the latest Iowa poll shows what he is capable of doing when folks hear him - he just is so much of an unknown in too many parts of the country.

I think to make a good-sized jump from the debate - he will need to be paired with Biden on stage - and then take advantage of the age gap to make his points.

Just hope he's spending most of his non-mayor time in NH. I've lived over a quarter-century within buying-beer-on-Sunday distance of the Granite State, covered one of its presidential primaries as a reporter and i know them and my candidate well enough to have predicted months ago that da Bootyjudge (who a you ta judge?!) exceeds 30% there in 2020. New Hampshire is the most personal of all the primaries and one could hardly design a candidate more likely to stick in Granite heads than Mayor Pete.

Buttigieg and his husband owe $131,296 combined in student loan debt. 

"Buttigieg graduated from Harvard in 2004, then won a Rhodes scholarship and graduated from Oxford in 2007. The mayor previously told Vice that he got through school without much debt, but that Chasten racked up loans while getting bachelor's and master's degrees to become a teacher."

That Chasten is making his numbers look bad.

wikkidpissah said:
Just hope he's spending most of his non-mayor time in NH. I've lived over a quarter-century within buying-beer-on-Sunday distance of the Granite State, covered one of its presidential primaries as a reporter and i know them and my candidate well enough to have predicted months ago that da Bootyjudge (who a you ta judge?!) exceeds 30% there in 2020. New Hampshire is the most personal of all the primaries and one could hardly design a candidate more likely to stick in Granite heads than Mayor Pete.
retail politics

Last edited by a moderator:
Pete on Israel . ( @timschochet )

The closer an ally, the more important it is that we speak truth to them. The security and survival of the democratic state of Israel has been, and continues to be, a central tenet of U.S. foreign policy, and is very much in our national interest. Which is why neither American nor Israeli leaders should play personal politics with the security of Israel and its neighbors.

[Applause]

Just as an American patriot may oppose the policies of an American president, a supporter of Israel may also oppose the policies of the Israeli right-wing government.

[Loud applause]

Especially when we see increasingly disturbing signs that the Netanyahu government is turning away from peace. The suffering of the Palestinian people, especially the humanitarian disaster in Gaza, has many authors — from the extremism of Hamas, and the inefficacy of the Palestinian Authority, to the indifference of the international community, and, yes, the policies of the current Israeli government. And now Gaza has become a breeding ground for the kind of extremism that only exacerbates threats to Israel and the region. Israeli and Palestinian citizens should be able to enjoy the freedom to go about their daily lives without fear, and to work to achieve economic well-being for their families. As Israel’s most powerful and most reliable ally, the United States has the opportunity to shape a more constructive path with the tough and honest guidance that friendship and fairness require. The current state of affairs cannot endure. The pressure of history and the mathematics of demography, mean that well before 2054, Israelis and Palestinians will have come to see either peace or catastrophe. A two-state solution that achieves legitimate Palestinian aspirations and meets Israel’s security needs remains the only viable way forward, and it will be our policy to support such a solution actively.

[Applause]

And if Prime Minister Netanyahu makes good on his threat to annex Israeli settlements in the West Bank, a President Buttigieg would take steps to ensure that American taxpayers won’t help foot the bill.

Pete on Israel . ( @timschochet )

The closer an ally, the more important it is that we speak truth to them. The security and survival of the democratic state of Israel has been, and continues to be, a central tenet of U.S. foreign policy, and is very much in our national interest. Which is why neither American nor Israeli leaders should play personal politics with the security of Israel and its neighbors.

[Applause]

Just as an American patriot may oppose the policies of an American president, a supporter of Israel may also oppose the policies of the Israeli right-wing government.

[Loud applause]

Especially when we see increasingly disturbing signs that the Netanyahu government is turning away from peace. The suffering of the Palestinian people, especially the humanitarian disaster in Gaza, has many authors — from the extremism of Hamas, and the inefficacy of the Palestinian Authority, to the indifference of the international community, and, yes, the policies of the current Israeli government. And now Gaza has become a breeding ground for the kind of extremism that only exacerbates threats to Israel and the region. Israeli and Palestinian citizens should be able to enjoy the freedom to go about their daily lives without fear, and to work to achieve economic well-being for their families. As Israel’s most powerful and most reliable ally, the United States has the opportunity to shape a more constructive path with the tough and honest guidance that friendship and fairness require. The current state of affairs cannot endure. The pressure of history and the mathematics of demography, mean that well before 2054, Israelis and Palestinians will have come to see either peace or catastrophe. A two-state solution that achieves legitimate Palestinian aspirations and meets Israel’s security needs remains the only viable way forward, and it will be our policy to support such a solution actively.

[Applause]

And if Prime Minister Netanyahu makes good on his threat to annex Israeli settlements in the West Bank, a President Buttigieg would take steps to ensure that American taxpayers won’t help foot the bill.
Excellent. I agree with nearly everything I hear from this guy.

Mayor Pete had a pretty significant speech today at Indiana University - even wore a jacket.

(probably will get lost in the Biden v. Trump news cycle)

He has clips on his twitter feed - here is one: https://twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/status/1138504721516380164

ETA - Overview clip:  https://twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/status/1138487913782697988

ETA 2 - full speech video - Pete starts about 30 minutes in - https://twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/status/1138462226556346371
More comprehensive than inspiring but, listening to it, i could imagine a 10yo being as proud of Buttigieg's Ameica as i was of Kennedy's America and i honestly doubted i would ever think that

Last edited by a moderator:
WaPo Op-Ed - Jennifer Rubin

Pete Buttigieg clears the commander in chief bar

It is perhaps unfair to nitpick a serious, long and reasoned speech on foreign policy when so many other candidates have refused to provide more than an applause line. Sure, it was not without problems. Some topics — such as doing away with the electoral college — did not need to be thrown into a foreign policy speech. “Ending long wars” is easier said than done. However, this is a mature, informed and clear-eyed candidate who is not swept away by left-wing isolationism.

A candidate who can identify, not to mention analyze, the rise of illiberal regimes as a threat to our interests and can find Sudan and Algeria on the map, let alone speak intelligently about them, deserves praise. A candidate willing to explain that immigration is a national security issue because we want and need the talent of those seeking to come here to help innovate and contribute to the economy should get credit. A Democrat forcefully defending the good that the United States does in the world deserves encouragement. He set a high bar for other candidates. Let’s see how they match up.

Unless there’s some wild hiccup by him during the campaign, I will be terribly disappointed if he doesn’t win the D primary.  His calm, thoughtfully informed demeanor just looks and sounds presidential

The Mayor Pete I know on health and healthcare

By Dr. Dave Campbell

MSNBC article by Dr. Campbell who met up with Mayor Pete earlier this year in New Hampshire.  Its a long read - but a nice non-traditional look at the candidate, as the doctor assesses Pete's health/habits and his takes on healthcare.  He spent a few days with Buttigieg, both in a sit down interview, and in simply following him around the campaign trail - and offers his observations.

WaPo Op-Ed - Jennifer Rubin

Pete Buttigieg clears the commander in chief bar

It is perhaps unfair to nitpick a serious, long and reasoned speech on foreign policy when so many other candidates have refused to provide more than an applause line. Sure, it was not without problems. Some topics — such as doing away with the electoral college — did not need to be thrown into a foreign policy speech. “Ending long wars” is easier said than done. However, this is a mature, informed and clear-eyed candidate who is not swept away by left-wing isolationism.

A candidate who can identify, not to mention analyze, the rise of illiberal regimes as a threat to our interests and can find Sudan and Algeria on the map, let alone speak intelligently about them, deserves praise. A candidate willing to explain that immigration is a national security issue because we want and need the talent of those seeking to come here to help innovate and contribute to the economy should get credit. A Democrat forcefully defending the good that the United States does in the world deserves encouragement. He set a high bar for other candidates. Let’s see how they match up.
There is no “commander in chief bar” anymore.  

Pete Buttigieg seizes on top-tier status with 2nd-quarter fundraising blitz

"I have seen it change over time because eight weeks ago, there was no fundraising operation, as far as I could tell," said Rep. Don Beyer, a Virginia congressman and prolific Democratic fundraiser who endorsed Buttigieg in April. "It has come together really quickly."

All of it is set to pay off: A host of top Buttigieg donors who have been in regular contact with the campaign tell CNN that they expect the mayor to raise more than $15 million in the second quarter. The Buttigieg campaign set a goal of $15 million -- just more than double the $7 million it raised in the first quarter -- at the start of April, according to a source familiar with the strategy. But the quarter has been more successful than anticipated and the campaign is working to exceed its goal in the final 18 days.

:thumbup:

Pete Buttigieg seizes on top-tier status with 2nd-quarter fundraising blitz

"I have seen it change over time because eight weeks ago, there was no fundraising operation, as far as I could tell," said Rep. Don Beyer, a Virginia congressman and prolific Democratic fundraiser who endorsed Buttigieg in April. "It has come together really quickly."

All of it is set to pay off: A host of top Buttigieg donors who have been in regular contact with the campaign tell CNN that they expect the mayor to raise more than $15 million in the second quarter. The Buttigieg campaign set a goal of $15 million -- just more than double the $7 million it raised in the first quarter -- at the start of April, according to a source familiar with the strategy. But the quarter has been more successful than anticipated and the campaign is working to exceed its goal in the final 18 days.

:thumbup:
Now if he could only move up in the polls.  This is Biden’s race to win.

Sinn Fein said:
We will see.  I don't think Biden will be the nominee.  In fact, I would wager all of the money CSTU does not owe me that Biden will not win the Democratic nomination.
He's a significant underdog to the field, but he's a significant favorite over any other specific candidate.

The Douglass Plan

A week from now, our nation will celebrate Juneteenth. It marks the day when enslaved Black people in Texas learned–almost two years after the fact–that the Emancipation Proclamation had rendered them free people. It is a fundamentally American occasion–a celebration of freedom, but also an acknowledgement of freedom delayed. As we observe this day, we must be honest that the hopes stirred almost 160 years ago have still not been fully realized.  

Black Americans are not yet fully free when Black unemployment is still almost twice the national average, when the average Black eighth grader reads at a level far below their white peers, and when Black mothers are 3-4 times more likely to die from pregnancy-related complications than white women. We lack true freedom when so many schools are almost as segregated as they were before Brown v. Board of Education. And, we cannot have freedom when identical resumes with stereotypically white or Black names lead to wildly different chances of being hired. These persistent inequalities have compounded over hundreds of years. They hold back our economy and corrode the American soul.  

Replacing racist policies with neutral ones will not be enough to deliver equality. We must actively work to reverse these harms, which is why I propose that we invest in equity with a plan as bold as the Marshall Plan that rebuilt Europe after World War II. Let’s call it the Douglass Plan for Black America, in honor of Frederick Douglass, who called America to better live up to its promise. Such a plan could help heal the deep wounds of America’s original sin and supercharge economic growth for every American.  

Like my campaign, the plan is structured around three values: freedom, security, and democracy.

When it comes to freedom, America–with only about 5% of the world’s population–is home to nearly 25% of the world’s incarcerated population, and this population is disproportionately Black. We would be a safer and more just country if we did not harshly penalize the poor, or young people who’ve made missteps. By reducing sentencing disparities and ensuring that every returning citizen can reintegrate into society, I commit to using every tool possible to end unnecessary and discriminatory incarceration, with the result of reducing the number of Americans incarcerated by 50 percent. This is not a random target, but the hard math on how many Americans should not be locked up in the first place.

True security means being able to provide food, shelter, and a livelihood. Yet today–as a direct result of slavery, Jim Crow, and ongoing discrimination large and small–for every $100 in wealth a white family has, the average Black family only has $5.04. To combat this wealth gap and encourage greater economic security within the Black community, America should triple the number of entrepreneurs from underserved areas–particularly ones of color–within ten years. This would create over 3 million new jobs and more than $660 billion in new wealth for Black communities and our country, through a number of policies to support this goal. For example, I’m proposing a federal fund–modeled on a Maryland program–that would co-invest in entrepreneurs of color, particularly in low-income communities.

We want to increase the number of successful small businesses in Black communities by 50%, by reforming credit scoring, increasing access to credit, and supporting long-term growth. Under my administration, the federal government will also almost triple its contracting business with minority-owned firms, from just over 9% to 25%. This single proposal could inject more than $100 billion in communities of color. The Douglass Plan would further support the next generation of Black entrepreneurs by expanding access to capital, training entrepreneurs, and rigorously and tracking our progress.

Lastly, we must safeguard our democracy. Americans have lost faith in a political system where dollars outvote people, and where politicians fail to deliver even on ideas supported by an American majority.

This cynicism is nowhere more warranted than in the Black community, where systematic efforts are taking away the right to vote. To counteract this troubling trend, we commit to advancing a 21st Century Voting Rights Act, to ensure that every vote is counted everywhere, particularly in communities with a history of discrimination. This means banning practices like voter ID laws and ensuring that potentially discriminatory changes to voting laws first be reviewed by the Department of Justice. We are not a true democracy if certain Americans are restricted from voting because one party has decided they would be better off if fewer people vote.

I’ll have a lot more to say about these policies in the coming weeks. But the time to act is now. Frederick Douglass once noted that “Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will.” So let’s demand greater freedom, security, and democracy for communities that need it most. Doing so will enrich not just Black America, but all Americans.  

Alex Seitz-Wald‏Verified account @aseitzwald

More

Pete Buttigieg 11:41 am: "You will not see me exchanging love letters with on WH letterhead with a brutal dictator."

Donald Trump 12:46 pm: "I just received a beautiful letter from Kim Jong Un."

That’s a very interesting plan but it may be the first time I’ve really disagreed with Mayor Pete- if I understand it correctly. I agree with a some parts of it, but not on reforming credit scoring. That won’t benefit the people intended; it will instead be a boon to the same type of loan sharks who created the 2008 disaster. 

The plan also doesn’t address the single biggest cause for all of the disparity he notes among African- Americans- education. Specifically, the dilapidated primary, middle, and high schools in the inner cities, in worse condition every year. That’s where the investment needs to be. 

I still love him though. My favorite candidate in years. I think it’s impossible for him to win unless he can get some black support. Right now he has zero. 

The Douglass Plan

A week from now, our nation will celebrate Juneteenth. It marks the day when enslaved Black people in Texas learned–almost two years after the fact–that the Emancipation Proclamation had rendered them free people. It is a fundamentally American occasion–a celebration of freedom, but also an acknowledgement of freedom delayed. As we observe this day, we must be honest that the hopes stirred almost 160 years ago have still not been fully realized.  

Black Americans are not yet fully free when Black unemployment is still almost twice the national average, when the average Black eighth grader reads at a level far below their white peers, and when Black mothers are 3-4 times more likely to die from pregnancy-related complications than white women. We lack true freedom when so many schools are almost as segregated as they were before Brown v. Board of Education. And, we cannot have freedom when identical resumes with stereotypically white or Black names lead to wildly different chances of being hired. These persistent inequalities have compounded over hundreds of years. They hold back our economy and corrode the American soul.  

Replacing racist policies with neutral ones will not be enough to deliver equality. We must actively work to reverse these harms, which is why I propose that we invest in equity with a plan as bold as the Marshall Plan that rebuilt Europe after World War II. Let’s call it the Douglass Plan for Black America, in honor of Frederick Douglass, who called America to better live up to its promise. Such a plan could help heal the deep wounds of America’s original sin and supercharge economic growth for every American.  

Like my campaign, the plan is structured around three values: freedom, security, and democracy.

When it comes to freedom, America–with only about 5% of the world’s population–is home to nearly 25% of the world’s incarcerated population, and this population is disproportionately Black. We would be a safer and more just country if we did not harshly penalize the poor, or young people who’ve made missteps. By reducing sentencing disparities and ensuring that every returning citizen can reintegrate into society, I commit to using every tool possible to end unnecessary and discriminatory incarceration, with the result of reducing the number of Americans incarcerated by 50 percent. This is not a random target, but the hard math on how many Americans should not be locked up in the first place.

True security means being able to provide food, shelter, and a livelihood. Yet today–as a direct result of slavery, Jim Crow, and ongoing discrimination large and small–for every $100 in wealth a white family has, the average Black family only has $5.04. To combat this wealth gap and encourage greater economic security within the Black community, America should triple the number of entrepreneurs from underserved areas–particularly ones of color–within ten years. This would create over 3 million new jobs and more than $660 billion in new wealth for Black communities and our country, through a number of policies to support this goal. For example, I’m proposing a federal fund–modeled on a Maryland program–that would co-invest in entrepreneurs of color, particularly in low-income communities.

We want to increase the number of successful small businesses in Black communities by 50%, by reforming credit scoring, increasing access to credit, and supporting long-term growth. Under my administration, the federal government will also almost triple its contracting business with minority-owned firms, from just over 9% to 25%. This single proposal could inject more than $100 billion in communities of color. The Douglass Plan would further support the next generation of Black entrepreneurs by expanding access to capital, training entrepreneurs, and rigorously and tracking our progress.

Lastly, we must safeguard our democracy. Americans have lost faith in a political system where dollars outvote people, and where politicians fail to deliver even on ideas supported by an American majority.

This cynicism is nowhere more warranted than in the Black community, where systematic efforts are taking away the right to vote. To counteract this troubling trend, we commit to advancing a 21st Century Voting Rights Act, to ensure that every vote is counted everywhere, particularly in communities with a history of discrimination. This means banning practices like voter ID laws and ensuring that potentially discriminatory changes to voting laws first be reviewed by the Department of Justice. We are not a true democracy if certain Americans are restricted from voting because one party has decided they would be better off if fewer people vote.

I’ll have a lot more to say about these policies in the coming weeks. But the time to act is now. Frederick Douglass once noted that “Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will.” So let’s demand greater freedom, security, and democracy for communities that need it most. Doing so will enrich not just Black America, but all Americans.  
A strong play to appeal to the black voter.    

That’s a very interesting plan but it may be the first time I’ve really disagreed with Mayor Pete- if I understand it correctly. I agree with a some parts of it, but not on reforming credit scoring. That won’t benefit the people intended; it will instead be a boon to the same type of loan sharks who created the 2008 disaster. 
When I've read about proposed changes in credit scoring for discriminatory reasons, they've mainly been minor.  The first example that comes to mind is scores being worse due to picking finance companies to borrow from over tradition banks.  Although I have some apprehension about the government dictating how statistical models should work, I don't think this will be a big deal or cause any type of credit crisis.  

From a white male millennial perspective.  It’s going to go over like a lead balloon, I fear. 
I do not think it will play well in Red America.  I suspect he knows that.  I respect him taking a stance of apparent principle appealing to some, but probably alienating others, which is why I think it to be principle and not convenience.  As for me, I wonder when the sins of the fathers will stop being visited upon the grandchildren and great grandchildren.  I wonder how we all move on.  Certainly if I had the answers I would share them. 

I suppose directing funds towards minority entrepreneurship is controversial, but criminal justice reform and fighting voter suppression seem pretty mainstream to me, even if they will benefit minorities more.

Also, of course, Jack Kemp played QB for the Buffalo Bills, putting him in the elite company of Rob Johnson, JP Losman, and Nathan Peterman.

I do not think it will play well in Red America.  I suspect he knows that.  I respect him taking a stance of apparent principle appealing to some, but probably alienating others, which is why I think it to be principle and not convenience.  As for me, I wonder when the sins of the fathers will stop being visited upon the grandchildren and great grandchildren.  I wonder how we all move on.  Certainly if I had the answers I would share them. 
I believe it may stop once those sins are actually visited on someone. 

Jennifer Jacobs‏Verified account @JenniferJJacobs

If you love Pete Buttigieg, this Sunday's political shows are for you —he is on CNN’s State of the Union, NBC’s Meet the Press and CBS’s Face the Nation, @RosKrasny notes. Also lots of 2020 polling coming this weekend: NBC/WSJ, CBS and Fox.

And Axios on HBO Sunday night as well! A lot of Mayor Pete Buttigieg on the airwaves Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread