Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sinn Fein

*** Official Pete Buttigieg Thread ***

Ramblin Wreck said:

Mayor Pete's biggest issue isn't going to be that he's gay it's that he seems interested in acting like Trump going zinger for zinger with him. That will eventually be the biggest turn off to giving him a chance, IMO.

"It is the nature of grotesque things that you can't look away." = not a zinger.

"I have a pretty dim view of his decision to use his privileged status to fake a disability in order to avoid serving in Vietnam." = not a zinger

"Yeah, at least not that one." = okay, that's a zinger.

He's not going "zinger for zinger" with Trump. Although I suppose it might seem that way if you get your news from a source that downplays Trump's zingers but amplifies anything negative uttered by a Democrat.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Joe Summer said:

"It is the nature of grotesque things that you can't look away." = not a zinger.

"I have a pretty dim view of his decision to use his privileged status to fake a disability in order to avoid serving in Vietnam." = not a zinger

He's not going "zinger for zinger" with Trump. Although I suppose it might seem that way if you get your news from a source that downplays Trump's zingers but amplifies anything negative uttered by a Democrat.

Yeah, it's just not apples to apples comparing "zingers" here. 

Trump's "zingers" come from the same mindset of a 7 year old bully on the playground. Pete's from the mindset of a Rhodes scholar talking about a 7 year old playground bully. 

Either way, Pete's approach to Trump seems to be on point. He doesn't seem obsessed with Trump, but as an opponent, of course, Trump must be dealt with, and I think Pete seems to be striking the right balance.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, timschochet said:

They don’t need to vote for him in the general. 

To win the general as a Democrat, you need to get blacks to come vote for you in the swing states, especially Michigan and Pennsylvania. To win the nomination as a Democrat, you need older blacks to vote for you in the South. These are two different groups. The older blacks in the south are far more socially conservative than the ones in the north- but the southern ones make no difference whatsoever in the general. Their impact is in primary season only. 

Should be a great test for Pete. 

I think he can win both. One feeling I just can't shake with him is that when people see/hear him, they're just going to like it. The more he's in front of voters, and beside his opponents, the more people are going to want him making decisions for their country. Sure, there are just some people that will not vote for a gay man in 2020, but I think Pete is exceptional and talented enough to over come this. One thing he has in common with our last two Presidents is that when I first heard about them running for President, my first thought was "there's no way Americans will elect them to be President" (and they both had to beat the person that, on paper, was just supposed to waltz into the White House).

Of all the candidates, imo, he benefits the most from more eyeballs and exposure. 

When the time comes, and I think it is, that he's on a stage with him and Biden in the center, I don't think Biden will come off looking so great.

Edited by pollardsvision
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, timschochet said:

. To win the nomination as a Democrat, you need older blacks to vote for you in the South. These are two different groups. The older blacks in the south are far more socially conservative than the ones in the north- but the southern ones make no difference whatsoever in the general. Their impact is in primary season only. 

I wonder if this might be overstated.  Older southern black voters represent what  percent of Democratic pledged delegates? Got to be small. And those votes will be split by some combo of Biden, Harris, Booker or possibly others. To me there seems to be a road to victory for Pete without doing great in the south. Iowa and New Hampshire will be a critical start for Pete. 

39 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

I wonder if this might be overstated.  Older southern black voters represent what  percent of Democratic pledged delegates? Got to be small. And those votes will be split by some combo of Biden, Harris, Booker or possibly others. To me there seems to be a road to victory for Pete without doing great in the south. Iowa and New Hampshire will be a critical start for Pete. 

I hope you’re right. 

5 hours ago, Joe Summer said:

Zinger is probably an understatement. Costa probably should have stopped the interview there until he played the Emma Stone “Oooh, burn!” reaction gif. 

Might support Mayor Pete as Quipmaster General in the Warren Administration. 

2 hours ago, pollardsvision said:

Yeah, it's just not apples to apples comparing "zingers" here. 

Trump's "zingers" come from the same mindset of a 7 year old bully on the playground. Pete's from the mindset of a Rhodes scholar talking about a 7 year old playground bully. 

Either way, Pete's approach to Trump seems to be on point. He doesn't seem obsessed with Trump, but as an opponent, of course, Trump must be dealt with, and I think Pete seems to be striking the right balance.

If he can deal with Trump on his policies then no thanks.  I don't know why some of these guys make it so difficult.

1 hour ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

If he can deal with Trump on his policies then no thanks.  I don't know why some of these guys make it so difficult.

I assume you mean "can't" deal.  Why don't you think he can?  I know you know these "zingers" make up a tiny percentage of the things Pete talks about.

1 minute ago, Juxtatarot said:

I assume you mean "can't" deal.  Why don't you think he can?  I know you know these "zingers" make up a tiny percentage of the things Pete talks about.

And it seems to only be when asked directly about something.  I don’t think I’ve seen him bring you Trump in his own at all.

10 hours ago, timschochet said:

You’re from Georgia, right? The Georgia Democratic primary is heavily dependent on black voting. Be honest: are they (Georgia blacks) going to vote for a gay man? 

I live in GA - in the primary I expect they would not vote for him and have said so previously.  I think it will go Biden, Harris, Bernie for AA voters and Biden, Bernie, Harris for all D’s.  

5 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

Yeah i'm pretty sure there is no way for Pete to match wits with Trump!:lmao:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HellToupee said:

Why would black men be opposed to voting for him any more or less than any white , Asian or Hispanic male? Be honest

cuz bootyjudge got a boojytinge

7 hours ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

Zinger is probably an understatement. Costa probably should have stopped the interview there until he played the Emma Stone “Oooh, burn!” reaction gif. 

Might support Mayor Pete as Quipmaster General in the Warren Administration. 

He’s definitely putting together a great VP audition.  

14 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:
22 hours ago, timschochet said:

. To win the nomination as a Democrat, you need older blacks to vote for you in the South. These are two different groups. The older blacks in the south are far more socially conservative than the ones in the north- but the southern ones make no difference whatsoever in the general. Their impact is in primary season only. 

Historically it hasn't been the percentage of delegates they represent but the timing of the primaries.   You have the Iowa and New Hampshire's taking out everyone that needs "wins" to get donors.  Then Nevada , South Carolina, and all of these southern states.   Generally speaking these have historically set up one candidate for the win and maybe one other with a slim chance.

2020 is going to be a bit different though with California and Texas moving up and possibly even New York on that same first Tuesday of March as the southern primaries.  Does this create a new reality for the primaries or is this year no different than any other one?   We will have to wait and see.