What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Pete Buttigieg Thread *** (5 Viewers)

Just reading various reports - but it sounds like the Bus Tour with all-access for the media has been a big hit.

Elena Schneider @ec_schneider

@PeteButtigieg, reflecting on the bus tour, says "it's a lot of fun." Says he's "trying to get all of us out of gaggle mode." And "encourage newsrooms" that are "mentally in Washington" to think outside of that. And, expect this bus tour to happen again.

Pete Buttigieg is the underdog to watch

This is a WaPo Opinion piece from Jennifer Rubin - an Anti-Trump conservative, so take with a grain of salt, but she is laying out a similar path that I have been talking about on here - so she must be right 😉

She talks about him finishing 3rd in Iowa - I think that is too optimistic, I think the worst he can do in Iowa, and then go on to get the nomination, is a very close 2nd.  He probably needs to win Iowa.

Going into early primaries as the front-runner has its drawbacks. Should the surging Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) fail to win Iowa or New Hampshire, her current success will make later results disappointing. Past success in a state also raises expectations perilously high. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) won more than 49 percent of the vote in the Iowa caucuses in 2016; his RealClearPolitics average in Iowa polls is now 12 percent, less than a point ahead of South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg.

What should happen, say, if Buttigieg comes in third in Iowa, ahead of one of the current three front-runners? That’s a real possibility, and one reason that a betting person wanting to put money on an underdog might pick Buttigieg.

Buttigieg has a number of factors in his favor. First, he is a proven fundraiser (taking in more than $19 million in the third quarter). Second, he attracted big crowds and extremely positive coverage on his Iowa road trip. Third, he is doing what every other non-Biden candidate has failed to do: He is standing firm in the center left. He’s not promising single-payer health care nor confiscatory gun policies. Fourth, he is smart and succinct enough in a debate to make trouble for the far-left candidates, thereby boosting his profile as one of the most adept combatants from the center-left. Warren has yet to be tested as the co-front-runner with Joe Biden, but Buttigieg has already begun by challenging her refusal to cop to tax increases needed to fund single-payer health care and, going even further, suggesting that this is a political character flaw (e.g. not leveling with voters). Fifth, his military service helps his electability argument. It not only gives him some national security credibility but also helps him to take President Trump down more than a few pegs; he can contrast his own service with Trump’s fortuitous “bone spurs” that got him out of serving in Vietnam. Finally, he is the most genuinely middle-class candidate among the top contenders. No millions from book sales, speeches, consulting gigs or past Senate fund-raising (to slide over into the presidential campaign fund).

The conventional wisdom has been that Biden has to collapse before someone can move up in the not-too-far-left category of candidates. However, Biden might not disintegrate, and in fact, the loyalty of African Americans suggests that he will maintain a solid base of support at least until the early primaries. However, it is entirely possible that Buttigieg, without attacking Biden (in fact, he has smartly defended Biden against Trump’s scurrilous attacks), can impress debate-watchers and early state caucus and primary voters to pull him even with better-known candidates who should be able to clobber a mayor of a medium-size Midwestern city.

The wildcard in all of this is impeachment and Trump scandals. The mere possibility that Trump might not be the nominee is arguably enough to prompt primary voters to reexamine what it means to be electable. Moreover, as we trek down a path even more exhausting, terrifying and exasperating than the three years that proceeded it, with the circle of wrongdoers expanding well beyond the president, there is something to be said for someone who does not want to start a revolution, but rather, recover from the Trump ordeal. Someone preternaturally calm, logical and self-effacing might provide a welcome contrast to the Republican carnival.

Buttigieg remains far behind the front-runners. That said, he is closing the gap between himself and Sanders (who is going in the opposite direction in the polls). He is not currently perceived as a threat to other candidates so does not take much, if any, incoming fire from opponents. In sum, as improbable as it might seem, next to Warren (who’s running a near-perfect campaign) Buttigieg might have the most effective campaign operation and message. It has been good enough to lift the mayor of South Bend into the top four candidates in the race.

The more & more i see - the President actually winning the impeachment thing by acting crazier&crazier because the Dems are too morally bankrupt & politically inept to even make the point that, as a repeat "offender" on this acoount, legal proceedings are simply the right thing to do - the more & more i hope Peteyjudge is rope-a-doping. We may not deserve it, but America needs fixing - as much with fools who believe that electing Biden would right the ship as with those who thought Trump was an idea worth pursuing - and a person with even such a little talent as being able wait for his spot makes him a paragon in this contest for Most Powerful in the World.

I believe Buttigieg is waiting because of South Carolina. That's trouble for him, even off a win. He's gotta be in launch mode to matter at all there. As i've said before, Iowa and New Hampshire are made for Mayor Pete - retail campaigning is natural for him because he conveys sense & hope & responsibility so well & instantly. But he needs success there to have enough blush & momentum to make him a factor in a southern state where wonky gay chipmunks eat good on a stick is all. We shall see.

NYT article: 

Flush With Cash, Pete Buttigieg Bets His Campaign on a Breakthrough in Iowa

Gist of the article mirrors what I have been saying about where Pete' path to the nomination lies:

Thanks to a nearly $25 million fund-raising bounty in the spring, which he topped up with a respectable $19.1 million over the summer, as reported Tuesday, Mr. Buttigieg has been able to invest in a gold-plated ground game in Iowa as he seeks to challenge two candidates who have been organizing for longer here, Senators Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders.

“We’re entering the stage where the rubber meets the road,” Mr. Buttigieg said in an interview as his four-day trip wrapped up last week. “In order to settle the question of electability, the best thing you can do is perform well in an actual election. Iowa’s of course the first. And so that’s where a lot of our focus is going to go.”

He’s got to scrape up the supporters of the candidates that drop out. I think it’s possible. That money is coming from somewhere. 

Do these Biden shenanigans (and I mean that in reference to the claims, not Biden and his family) produce enough doubt around him to the casual Dem/independent voter that doesn’t pay too much attention to the news outside of headlines that turning to Pete becomes a bit easier?

Do these Biden shenanigans (and I mean that in reference to the claims, not Biden and his family) produce enough doubt around him to the casual Dem/independent voter that doesn’t pay too much attention to the news outside of headlines that turning to Pete becomes a bit easier?
I think the impeachment stuff takes the oxygen out of things and current trend continue. Harder for lower tier candidates to pick up ground, but not impossible.

Just my opinion - but:

I think the initial reaction will be to push Warren further ahead in the race.  I think the secondary reaction will see people elevate someone else to be the primary challenger to Warren, and I think that person will be Buttigieg.  I would not categorically rule out Harris or Booker.  Klobuchar and Beto seem, to me, to be out.

Warren is a very formidable opponent, and the only candidate who I would say has run as strong, or better, campaign than Buttigieg.  But, ultimately, I think this will be a cultural divide between the far left, and the near left wings of the Dem party.  I don't know how that ends.  I like both Warren and Buttigieg, and would happily support either in the General election.

Hay all, it’s October now and I still think Pete’s the man. I’m Australian and would like to support ginger for the Democratic nomination. Can someone help out me I touch with his people ?

thanks 

I like what I hear from this guy in what little we hear from him in the debates. Anyone have a link to what he's running on and his policies?

The mayor of South Bend knows how to enchant an audience. Is it enough to overcome his age and inexperience?

New Republic article by Walter Shapiro - the name meant/means nothing to me, and as I read the article I was assuming younger writer writing about a feel good story.  Then, I saw this line: "As a veteran of the Jimmy Carter administration, I am perhaps more sensitive than most to the challenges of governing for a Democrat."  Quick look at Shapiro's bio - shows he has covered 11 administrations - so he has been around the block - a few times.

Its a good read, from a Mayor Pete supporter's perspective.  I won't quote it all here - New Republic deserves the clicks.  I will say, its not a puff piece, but rather a thoughtful examination of Buttigieg's campaign that has a favorable outcome.  Shapiro was on the Iowa bus tour and had a separate chance to sit down and quiz Buttigieg on the experience issue.  Pete had a couple of good responses.

This one quote sums up what I think is one of his best attributes - the ability to think rationally:

A few minutes later, I circled back to the experience question by asking Buttigieg what he wished that he had time to learn before embarking on this quest for the Oval Office; in 1994, for example, as president, with a genocidal war raging in Bosnia, Bill Clinton had lamented that he wished he had known more about the Balkans.

Once again, Buttigieg’s answer was unexpected. “One skill that I’ve developed which will need to be at a whole different level is the art of knowing what not to concern yourself with,” he said. “Because up to a certain point, you can convince yourself that if you stay up an hour later, or move a little quicker, you can touch everything that deserves to be touched. Even as mayor, I’ve learned that’s not true. And, as president, I’m sure it’s on a completely different level—incredibly important, consequential, and demanding. Urgent priorities need to be ignored because there are others that even more so. And the art of that you can only learn by doing.”

Podcast interview with Lis Smith

Podcast is The Electables - 40ish minutes with Lis Smith

I think I have made this point, but I really like Lis Smith, and what she has brought to the campaign.  She has been with Pete since 2016, and she talks through the process, her role, and how it has evolved and behind the scenes tidbits.

So, this was fun to listen to as a fan of Lis Smith.  She is a real asset for Buttigieg.  I thought about going to hear her talk in DC a few weeks ago, now I am semi-seriously (not really) considering a trip to Key West to go to her next fund-raiser.

I also noticed that Pete spent some time campaigning with down-ticket candidates over the past week - feels like he is keeping his VP hopes alive by working for the party.  

(Combined with his "defense" of Biden at the debate makes me wonder if those are conversations that are being whispered right now.  I would be surprised if Biden would select a white male as a running mate, but maybe that is not as big an impediment as I imagine.)
Kelly O'Donnell@KellyO · 5m

At UFCW event, @joebiden begins by thanking @PeteButtigieg for defending his family. "Thats a good man" says former VP.

This still feels like its a possibility.  :oldunsure:

ETA - Full quote: Full: "I’m a friend of Pete Buttigieg. By the way, he’s a really decent guy. I turned on the television this morning, and he was defending me and my family against these outrageous, lying ads of the President of the United States of America. That’s a good man, that’s a good man."

Last edited by a moderator:
Form Jennifer Rubin, so I take it with a grainof salt, but I take it nonetheless:

Jennifer Rubin@JRubinBlogger · 1h

In addition to former vice president Joe Biden, South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg is one of the few candidates so far to sound like a credible commander in chief.

:thumbup:

Link to WaPo opinion piece: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/10/14/democratic-candidates-need-show-their-national-security-bona-fides/

In addition to former vice president Joe Biden, South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg is one of the few candidates so far to sound like a credible commander in chief. On CNN’s “State of the Union” he explained, “Putting an end to endless war doesn’t mean ending American engagement around the world. Often, it means making sure we do our part to stabilize or help keep the peace, so that full-blown conflicts don’t break out.” He explained, “Look at what’s happened here. This isn’t even a strategy or a policy. It is the president systematically destroying American alliances and American values. And that makes America worse off.”

Asked if he would keep troops in Syria, he gave the only cogent answer: "If that’s what’s needed in order to protect American interests and avoid a repeat of ISIS emerging, sure. … You look at the behavior of Saudi Arabia, you look at the behavior of Turkey, which is supposed to be a NATO ally, and, clearly, when the president green-lights bad behavior, that’s exactly what you get.” He concludes, with every justification, “Under this president, America is being turned into just another country, just another country out there scrapping for advantage, not showing leadership, not in an exceptional position to shape outcomes around the world. And the consequences of that are terrible, both for American values and for American interests.” (It’s quite a comment on Buttigieg that the guy who is a mayor of a medium-sized Midwest city has more foreign policy gravitas than members of the U.S. Senate and House on the stage with him.)

:wub:

Interesting fundraising tactic. Is this routinely done?

"WASHINGTON — South Bend, Ind. Mayor Pete Buttigieg's presidential campaign is turning to Americans living overseas for an extra infusion of campaign cash.
Buttigieg’s husband, Chasten Glezman Buttigieg, will embark next week on a three-country European fundraising tour, holding five events over three days, according to invitations obtained by NBC News.

Mystery Achiever said:

"WASHINGTON — South Bend, Ind. Mayor Pete Buttigieg's presidential campaign is turning to Americans living overseas for an extra infusion of campaign cash.
Buttigieg’s husband, Chasten Glezman Buttigieg, will embark next week on a three-country European fundraising tour, holding five events over three days, according to invitations obtained by NBC News.
I think Obama solicited money from American citizens overseas but I don’t know if he had any campaign events.

I like Pete. Smart dude and will likely surround himself with quality people. I imagine a Pete administration to be top notch and in reality, the administration is as important as the President. I don't discount there are electability issues which is a shame. It's funny what some folks overlook and what some can't look past. So it goes.

Mystery Achiever said:

“Hey, you guys wanna try and help rebuild our national standing abroad and, ya know, quit getting those looks when someone finds out where you’re from?  Mayor Pete!”

I might be reading too many @Sinn Fein posts, or I'm just looking for reason for optimism, but I'm starting to feel like he really has a shot.  I've been supporting him for a while now though simultaneously figuring it was futile, but now...   The ground game is so strong, and I see Biden and Sanders fading.  I'm leaning toward the two-horse race between him and Warren, and although I'm a fan of hers I recognize she has a lot of detractors and question marks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I might be reading too many @Sinn Fein posts, or I'm just looking for reason for optimism, but I'm starting to feel like he really has a shot.  I've been supporting him for a while now though at the same time figuring it was futile, but now...   The ground game is so strong, and I see Biden and Sanders fading.  I'm leaning toward the two-horse race between him and Warren, and although I'm a fan of hers I recognize she has a lot of detractors and question marks.
I am a true believer.  You have to squint a little - but the pieces really seem to be falling into place.

I was looking back at some early posts in this thread - and probably the biggest thing I got wrong was questioning whether he could build a national campaign, with basically a local campaign staff.

The campaign is so well run right now - it forces you to see things that maybe are not there.  Warren is the only other candidate who has matched the Buttigieg campaign - in terms of strategy and execution.  It helps when you have a candidate who is so cool under pressure - it makes things like giving the press unfettered access on a bus tour an easy decision.  But, the campaign has clearly identified a path to the nomination - build momentum from a big Iowa showing.  And, importantly, everything they are doing is focused on that goal - everyone is pulling in the same direction.  They have the money now, they are building the all-important ground game - where turnout alone could lead to a win in Iowa, if they can get their people to caucus, and then recruit from the non-viable candidates on caucus night.

It feels like Pete is ramping up in Iowa at just the right time - to carry that into the caucuses.  Its a slow, but steady pace, and I think he can come from off the pace to win Iowa.  At that point the national picture will start to shift - and I think Pete will be in position to take advantage.

Progressives are warning South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg not to attack Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) at Tuesday night’s Democratic debate in Ohio.

Buttigieg, who has emerged as a center-left contender for the Democratic presidential nomination, has drawn the ire of progressives in recent days for remarks viewed as swipes against more liberal contenders like Warren and former Rep. Beto O’Rourke (D-Texas).

“It’s sad to see the potential self destruction of @PeteButtigieg, a rising star,” tweeted Adam Green, a cofounder of the Progressive Change Campaign Committee, which backs Warren. “Tuesday will be a key trajectory moment. Does he attack the next President of The United States or take the high road and make positive waves by adding his unique voice to progressive issues of the day?”

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/465738-progressives-fume-at-buttigieg-warn-him-not-to-attack-warren-at-debate

“Hey, you guys wanna try and help rebuild our national standing abroad and, ya know, quit getting those looks when someone finds out where you’re from?  Mayor Pete!”
I like it. :thumbup:

“It’s sad to see the potential self destruction of @PeteButtigieg, a rising star,” tweeted Adam Green, a cofounder of the Progressive Change Campaign Committee, which backs Warren. “Tuesday will be a key trajectory moment. Does he attack the next President of The United States or take the high road and make positive waves by adding his unique voice to progressive issues of the day?”
I saw that earlier. Nice blend of arrogance and fear.  :boxing:

Mystery Achiever said:

Well, the current President was funded by Russia.  So no, it isn’t a new tactic.

I think Pete has claimed my #2 spot behind Bernie at this point.

I'm still a bit leery of his what his military service will translate into policy wise, but so far it hasn't seem to have crept into the mix in terms of his main campaign themes.

I might be reading too many @Sinn Fein posts, or I'm just looking for reason for optimism, but I'm starting to feel like he really has a shot.  I've been supporting him for a while now though simultaneously figuring it was futile, but now...   The ground game is so strong, and I see Biden and Sanders fading.  I'm leaning toward the two-horse race between him and Warren, and although I'm a fan of hers I recognize she has a lot of detractors and question marks.
I think Warren is a huge favorite over Buttigieg, but I do think it will come down to those two. Biden will fade. Sanders has already.

Welcome to the glitter side. 

I just wanted to bump in case anyone wants to poke around, and get a little more info on Mayor Pete....its a short thread.  Lots of good stuff.  Take off your shoes and feel free to wander around.
Come one, come all!!!  I know we had even some conservative folks like @Mr.Pack poking around here, and I hope they liked what they saw tonight in terms of who he is, if not necessarily  in agreement with all of his policies.

Pie in the back.

Users who are viewing this thread