Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sinn Fein

*** Official Pete Buttigieg Thread ***

6 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

His rise has been so sudden.  For instance, our forum straw poll from March 15 only had one person pick him.  Just from reading this thread, it's clear he would be much higher in a new poll.   I even wonder about the Quinnipiac poll since the data was collected from March 21 through March 25.

Shhh... I want it to look like another meteoric rise when he's double digits in early April.

Some updates on Buttigieg - he was in San Francisco last night at a forum - a few hundred in attendance -  reports, as usual, he had a great appearance.

I came across these notes in Politico this morning:

— SUSIE BUELL SHOCKER: FUNDRAISING FOR PETE? via Yashar Ali’s Newsletter: Longtime Hillary Clinton friend and Democratic megadonor Susie Tompkins Buell — who’s already endorsed Kamala Harris — is doing a fundraiser for Budigieg, Ali reports. That’s raising eyebrows, because Buell is a party kingmaker with plenty of connections. And it raises the question: Is she having second thoughts? She’s also doing a fundraiser for Harris, he reports.

— WHERE PETE GOES IN CA TODAY: The set of “Real Time with Bill Maher,“ which he’ll be on tonight, and six different meetings and fundraisers in Los Angeles, his team tells us.

Its good that he is talking to donors in California - like it or not, he will need some mega donors to get his organization off the ground - he'll need their money, but also their connections in terms of building a team.

I am sure he will be a hit on Real Time, and that should also help raise his national recognition.

Edited by Sinn Fein
  • Like 2

I was talking to some friends last night, and I’m all in on this guy. Ride or die.  I had a couple drinks and at one point said “you know, it might actually have been worth it to deal with Cheeto Jesus for four years if this guy is what comes next.” And I realized I kind of meant it. 

I’ll be offering to help with his campaign, submitting a resume this weekend through his campaign site here:

https://jobs.lever.co/peteforamerica

• Like 9
  • Love 1

Long video - 66 minutes - Politics and Prose (DC Bookstore, where Buttigieg sat down for an interview around his book "Shortest Way Home")

Obviously a long interview (and I have not watched all of it yet), but I find that its a really good way to hear Buttigieg in an non-candidate setting.  He was already "running" at this stage, but its not a stump speech or a town hall with predictable questions and answers.

Pete Buttigieg discusses his book , "The Shortest Way Home", at Politics and Prose on2/17/19. When Buttigieg left a successful business career to return to South Bend, Indiana, his hometown had been declared a “dying city” by Newsweek magazine. Elected mayor in 2011 and re-elected in 2015, Buttigieg, a Harvard-educated Rhodes Scholar and U.S. Navy veteran, was determined to change that. Going directly to the community, he met with residents, reclaimed abandoned houses, confronted gun violence, and attracted high-tech industry.

Today South Bend is a shining success, and Buttigieg’s candid and compassionate account is both an inspiring story of how politics can and should work and an introduction to one of today’s rising political figures.

Buttigieg is in conversation with Jonathan Allen, a journalist for NBC News and the co-author of the books "Shattered" and "HRC".

Listened to most of that interview in the background - highly recommend if you can find the time.

This is the kind of candidate that could crush Trump in 2020.  It will be interesting to see if the DNC will get behind him.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, David Dodds said:

This is the kind of candidate that could crush Trump in 2020.  It will be interesting to see if the DNC will get behind him.

I think so too and honestly have the same question about the DNC. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, David Dodds said:

I hope the DNC just get out of his way.  He already has a better idea on messaging than the DNC

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

I hope the DNC just get out of his way.  He already has a better idea on messaging than the DNC

Yeah, “think about things thoroughly and then talk about things after you’ve thought them through.  People aren’t idiots, they will understand.”

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, David Dodds said:

If he weren’t gay, I’d put his over under against Trump at about 475 electoral votes. 

From where I sit:

• The Clinton wing of the DNC is pushing Harris
  • The Obama wing of the DNC is pushing Beto 
  • If history is a guide, the DNC will work towards destroying everyone else.

3 minutes ago, David Dodds said:

From where I sit:

• The Clinton wing of the DNC is pushing Harris
  • The Obama wing of the DNC is pushing Beto 
  • If history is a guide, the DNC will work towards destroying everyone else.

That is probably true - but I think Buttigieg is more connected than anyone lets on.

I think he has a friendly relationship with David Axelrod, for instance, and one of the articles I posted above had one of Clinton's top donors hosting a fundraiser for Buttigieg (she is also hosting one for Harris).

I also think, that since there is a split in the party (and I do think Harris and Beto are the real front-runners right now) - there is room for a compromise candidate - one who can speak to middle class, mid-western, rural voters.

48 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

That is probably true - but I think Buttigieg is more connected than anyone lets on.

Yeah.  This is actually very very true. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

I’ve had some interesting Twitter interactions with some people dumping on Pete for trying to reach out to Trump voters.  Basically it seems if you don’t say every single Trump voter is racist and evil it’s seen as disqualifying for some. 

I try to point out that sort of thinking is exactly what Trump wants. He wants to divide the country along cultural lines, and there is really no upside in playing the game Trump wants to play. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Slapdash said:

Religion questions from Maher isn't exactly going to be a softball, but he nailed it.

Perfect comeback - "you might have it all figured out..."

Also really highlighted the difference between a Mid-Western politician and a "coastal elite"

I get Maher's skepticism when it comes to religion - but you simply can't talk to middle-America like that - no matter how much you disagree.  Well, I suppose you can, but you won't win any votes. 

21 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

Long video - 66 minutes - Politics and Prose (DC Bookstore, where Buttigieg sat down for an interview around his book "Shortest Way Home")

Just watching some of this before the Barcelona match and....OMG he builds databases? :wub:

18 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Also really highlighted the difference between a Mid-Western politician and a "coastal elite"

I get Maher's skepticism when it comes to religion - but you simply can't talk to middle-America like that - no matter how much you disagree.  Well, I suppose you can, but you won't win any votes. 

Yeah, he took the "condescending" commentary to the right audience.

7 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

I agree with Maher on this topic probably more than any other one.  I have a couple of very close friends that I have actually asked an eerily similar pointed question to at times.  Pete handled it well and made positive points that people like me tend to forget. Living in the south east my whole life makes it easy to view religion through the lens of the baptist/evangelical wings.

I definitely was not hoping to fall for a candidate this early.  If I were to criticize anything it is that I still maintain we should have a president with a bit more experience in the federal government.  We have gone for the shiny, inexperienced options pretty much since Bush Sr.  I'm wondering if we are discounting the importance of a president that can effectively operate in the institutional construct we have in DC.

• Like 1

The "Religious Left" stuff is one area where Pete loses me a little. I agree with the larger point he's making; that Republicans have no claim to any moral high-ground, especially in the age of Trump, but his packaging of the message is a little too Christian-centric for me. Even if he just phrased it as something like "The Values Left" or "Religious and Moral Left" it would resonate a little better for me. 

51 minutes ago, Arsenal of Doom said:

The "Religious Left" stuff is one area where Pete loses me a little. I agree with the larger point he's making; that Republicans have no claim to any moral high-ground, especially in the age of Trump, but his packaging of the message is a little too Christian-centric for me. Even if he just phrased it as something like "The Values Left" or "Religious and Moral Left" it would resonate a little better for me. 

I was raised a Catholic, but now I'm agnostic. I get what he's saying and it doesn't bother me. The teachings I remember about the church were largely about the compassion of Christ and his teachings, which are very liberal at their core. Helping the poor and sick. Jesus was the original SJW. Somehow that view of Christ has been twisted by the conservative right and rebranded as a belief that accepts cruelty, greed and power. That takeover by the vocal religious right in part turned me off religion. Any religious person that can align themselves with a guy like Trump is abandoning their own morals no matter how they may justify it. I think Pete is rightfully opening his arms to those of faith that are struggling with that moral dilemma and it's the right move IMO. I know plenty of liberal religious people, the DNC has done a horrible job welcoming them and just kind of take their support for granted.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, rolyaTy said:

I can't help but see a bit of Mr. Bean there.

I see Mr. Rogers  :oldunsure:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ericttspikes said:

I was raised a Catholic, but now I'm agnostic. I get what he's saying and it doesn't bother me. The teachings I remember about the church were largely about the compassion of Christ and his teachings, which are very liberal at their core. Helping the poor and sick. Jesus was the original SJW. Somehow that view of Christ has been twisted by the conservative right and rebranded as a belief that accepts cruelty, greed and power. That takeover by the vocal religious right in part turned me off religion. Any religious person that can align themselves with a guy like Trump is abandoning their own morals no matter how they may justify it. I think Pete is rightfully opening his arms to those of faith that are struggling with that moral dilemma and it's the right move IMO. I know plenty of liberal religious people, the DNC has done a horrible job welcoming them and just kind of take their support for granted.

I wouldn't say this part of his message bothers me, per se, I'd just like to see him fine tune it a bit to be more inclusive of other religions and non-believers who nonetheless identify with the moral themes he's drawing attention to. All for the Democratic party embracing people of faith, as long as it's clear that people of all faiths or no faith are welcome. I have little doubt that's how Pete actually feels, so not a huge deal. 

• Like 1

Here’s Pete talking about health care. 

https://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/pete-buttigeg-what-is-the-gop-thinking-1465380419718

He seems to favor a Medicare opt-in as a way to get to universal coverage, offered through the existing Obamacare exchanges. Curious to see how they propose handling the funding and how it interacts with the employer funded model, which is still how most people have private insurance today.

I think something like this is probably the right approach but details are important. 

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 6:29 AM, Sinn Fein said:

I could vote for him.  I could never vote for Bill Maher.  Mayor Pete is accomplished and humble.  Maher is smug and condescending and frankly has little reason to hold his own intellect in such esteem.   

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders
  • Like 7

30 minutes ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

I could vote for him.  I could never vote for Bill Maher.  Mayor Pete is accomplished and humble.  Maher is smug and condescending and frankly has little reason to hold his own intellect in such esteem.   

There was a time when he was at least a little funny, but he’s awful now

4 minutes ago, joffer said:

There was a time when he was at least a little funny, but he’s awful now

In fairness I do recall in the past being mildly bemused by some of his observations, though mostly I found him cringeworthy.  Lately, he seems to have lost the ability to laugh at himself.  Once that happens it is difficult to get people to laugh with you.

• Like 1

I'd never heard of him before this thread, but when posters who I admire and respect (and who, let's be honest, share most of my political views), particularly @Sinn Fein and @Henry Ford, publicly and emphatically express their support, I have to stand up and take notice. Over the last few days I've read a lot of articles and watched/listened to most of the links in this thread. I was on a five-hour road trip yesterday and just let his YouTube channel run and run, something I'd never be able to do with another politician as it just becomes too repetitive and boring. Buttigieg, however, has lots of videos that go beyond simply a rehashed stump speech and I actually found myself laughing out loud several times.

Suffice it to say that I came away extremely impressed and made my first donation this morning. I'm in grad school now and can't give like I once did to Bernie, but I'll do what I can, including volunteering here in the Golden State. I'm in.

He strikes me as a more pragmatic and less dogmatic version of Bernie. I could go on and on about reasons he has my support (hey, lets use data to inform policy-making), but a big one is his speaking empathetically to red-state concerns and distaste for demonizing the other side , which in my eyes makes him the perfect antidote to the pustulous divide that has infected our country. My biggest concern was his lack of experience, but he has deftly and intelligently addressed this issue and, I think, maybe even turned it to his advantage (or at least tried to). In reality that's probably wishful thinking about his most glaring weakness...I think he's susceptible to people writing him off before they ever hear his message. We have to ensure that doesn't happen.

Yes, I just hopped on the back of the train, but I won't stay there long as it grows longer and longer. Choo choo Mayor Pete!

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, bananafish said:

Suffice it to say that I came away extremely impressed and made my first donation this morning.

:thumbup: 

Just threw a tenner his way so he has another individual donor (in NC) before the quarterly deadlines that all these things care about.

• Like 6

I like how when he’s asked about his age and inexperience, his replies have the gist of him being a little less set in his ways and more open to new ideas and information.  it’s the antithesis of Cheeto.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

I liked how Bill inevitably challenged Pete on being smart but having faith and answered “I’m glad you have it all figured out Bill, but I don’t.”  Perfect come back. 

Edited by ericttspikes
  • Like 2

On 3/30/2019 at 8:29 AM, Sinn Fein said:

"We need to invite (Trump voters) to the right side of history." That's good stuff. 

Recognizing that Trump voters and Trump supporters are two different things, that the same ol' stuff which Dems were offering in '16 and the ruination of responsive govt in which Dems were equal partners were as much a part of people voting Trump as his outlandish persona, so inviting them back as part of the next phase is a lot smarter than shaming em away.

On 3/30/2019 at 12:27 PM, Arsenal of Doom said:

I'm a Kennedy kid with Unicef values who misses quiet Christianity tremendously. Catholics, Protestants, Jews were more or less in it together (as long as they were white) in the 50s & 60s, needed their churches for both their identity and community and to keep them reminded that "there but for the grace of God go I". There were distinct differences, but pressing them were bad manners in most aspects of life. It's not a coincidence that i didn't hear about "Jesus freaks" or born-agains up North until after folks started throwing off the authoritarian yokes of their churches en masse and those institutions got way more defensive about their position in American life.

Faith is not an enemy. Extremism is an enemy. The people who harassed Chelsea Clinton last week are on the same side of the political spectrum as i, but their extremism puts me more at odds with them than some of my natural enemies. There is no one on this forum who has advocated louder and longer for us to set old myths aside in the name of progress than i, but i am as quick to remind others that freedom of religion does not mean freedom from religion. Your business is your own until you make it mine. nufced

Edited by wikkidpissah

41 minutes ago, ericttspikes said:

I liked how Bill inevitably challenged Pete on being smart but having faith and answered “I’m glad you have it all figured out Bill, but I don’t.”  Perfect come back. 

Actually that’s probably the only thing he said that bugged me a little

Edited by joffer

Made my first 2020-related donation today, to Mayor Pete.  :yes: 

• Like 9
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Made my first 2020-related donation today, to Mayor Pete.  :yes: 

Woohoo! Welcome aboard. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, joffer said:

Actually that’s probably the only thing he said that bugged me a little

Look - faith is a tricky topic.  In reality, I am closer to Maher's way of thinking - religion takes away a lot of critical thinking for a lot of people - but at the same time, I think you have to respect that people have legitimate beliefs, and you will never win them over, if you constantly belittle their beliefs.

I think the way to win them over is to work within their framework - not force them into your framework.

• Like 3